PDA

View Full Version : Everex mini gPC

NET WT
February 27th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Hey,

What do you guys think about the mini gPC (http://www.everex.com/products/gpc_mini/gpc_mini.htm)? I sort of like it. It looks small from the pictures.

jrusso2
February 27th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Kind of like a mac mini

zmjjmz
February 27th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Zonbu anyone?
Superpowerful Zonbu?
$500 isn't going to cut the cheap line though.
The Mac Mini is... $600?

3rdalbum
February 27th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I like it - it looks like a DVD player. Looks skinnier than the Mini as well!

Paqman
February 27th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Looks good.

I actually think there's a huge potential market for small cheap Linux-powered internet appliances like this. Most people could do everything they needed to do on a machine like that. There's no reason why someone who just wants to surf and email needs a full-on desktop PC running Windows.

NET WT
February 27th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I probably wouldn't keep gOS on it, if I bought myself one. I like Ubuntu better, even though I have never tried gOS.

Syke
February 27th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I probably wouldn't keep gOS on it, if I bought myself one. I like Ubuntu better, even though I have never tried gOS.
gOS is built on Ubuntu. Even if you wanted to make gOS look like Ubuntu, it would only take a few seconds to adjust the UI theme.

It's a sweet little machine. But the image for the gPC mini is wrong - it is actually white.

fetisha
February 27th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Shuttle is coming out with a mini Linux pc too, though not as small as the everx one (I think). http://us.shuttle.com/KPC/index.htm
I was actually going to but the gPC tower before I bought my Shuttle Glamor.

aysiu
February 27th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I probably wouldn't keep gOS on it, if I bought myself one. I like Ubuntu better, even though I have never tried gOS. gOS is based on Ubuntu anyway, so all you would have to do is install the ubuntu-desktop metapackage and log into Gnome to get Ubuntu. A reinstall would be unnecessary.

Syke
March 1st, 2008, 11:55 AM
gOS is based on Ubuntu anyway, so all you would have to do is install the ubuntu-desktop metapackage and log into Gnome to get Ubuntu. A reinstall would be unnecessary.

gOS really really based on Ubuntu. ubuntu-desktop metapackage is already installed, and GNOME is the default desktop environment.

Visti
March 1st, 2008, 11:58 AM
Uuuh, I'm itching to install some media center solutions on a thing like that..

koleoptero
March 1st, 2008, 12:02 PM
I like this one. I was expecting to see a good but not-so-nice mini pc. But this looks good, I'd prefer it over the mac mini jsut to support open software.

gOS really really based on Ubuntu. ubuntu-desktop metapackage is already installed, and GNOME is the default desktop environment.

They finally abandoned e17?

mips
March 1st, 2008, 12:12 PM
Wish you could get those over here.

molom
March 1st, 2008, 03:29 PM
Anything to rip apples designs :D (If it even is apples designs in the first place) First e17 with a mac look in gOS and now this :lol:
Well they are switching to gnome anyway.

zmjjmz
March 1st, 2008, 03:34 PM
Guess it's out today.
I can't find it anywhere else though...
EDIT: I really can't find it. The Newegg link on the Everex site is not a link yet, and simple searches turn up nothing.

bwhite82
April 3rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
Nice! Just stumbled upon this little gem today. May have to make a DVR outta this...

zmjjmz
April 3rd, 2008, 09:55 PM
Can you please post a place where you can buy it?

tiga2001
April 16th, 2008, 12:28 AM
website says they're out of stock.
http://www.everex.com/products/gpc_mini/gpc_mini.htm
It seems like Everex can never deliver their products on time. Probably have to do with their suppliers. But it looks good, though. I'd want one.

zmjjmz
April 16th, 2008, 12:56 AM
"Expected availability 4/10/08"
Hello?

TeraDyne
April 16th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Apparently, the "Limited Time" part of the site meant "all of five seconds".

To be honest, I don't like those small machines. They just don't seem as useful as a full-sized machine. Don't ask me why, as I don't completely understand the feeling myself, but I just don't like it. Still, I would have loved that color for a dellbuntu or similar full-sized machine.

tiga2001
April 16th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I guess that's why the gPC and the gPC2 were super big boxes, even though their internals are tiny. Everex says it's for the looks. I think a lot of people think it looks more useful if it's bigger.

madjr
April 16th, 2008, 07:10 AM
both the myminipc and kpc look great

http://dev.thinkgos.com/_images/56.gif

http://us.shuttle.com/KPC/images/KPC_features2.jpg

awesome how u can print any wallpaper and added to the box. Is like having 2 desltops :D

moeFinley
April 17th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Why doesn't anyone put optical audio out on these things! They would make ideal media PCs if they did. I still think I'll get a Mac Mini over these.

NET WT
April 17th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I don't know where to buy one of these from. I don't think that I will be getting one after all though, because I need a new laptop instead.

madjr
April 18th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Why doesn't anyone put optical audio out on these things! They would make ideal media PCs if they did. I still think I'll get a Mac Mini over these.

what does a mac mini has better?

n whats optical audio

moeFinley
April 18th, 2008, 11:13 PM
what does a mac mini has better?

n whats optical audio

Optical audio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK) is what the Mac Mini does better.

mdshaver
January 29th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I just got an updated version of the Everex gPC mini from newegg.com but am having some problems. It came preloaded with Windows Vista (unlike its predecessor) which worked fine. I wanted to put linux on there so I loaded Ubuntu 8.10 (also tried Mandriva 2009 and Ubuntu 8.04) but after the initial boot, prior to going into the Live CD mode, the LCD monitor lost the video signal (output is DVI and I use VGA adapter). I tried a Samsung monitor with the same result. However, when outputting S-Video to the TV, there was no problem. The video care is an Intel Media Accelerator 950. I called Everex and they were fairly clueless except to suggest that I need linux drivers for the video card. Is that right? Wouldn't Ubuntu autodetect? Please help! I don't think I am able to return it to Newegg as it's not defective and I really don't want to have wasted my on this.

interglossa
February 6th, 2009, 05:06 PM
You got in just under the wire...I see newegg.com has deactivated this item on their website and I don't know where else you could buy it...