PDA

View Full Version : Why do you help others on this forum?

suibhne
February 27th, 2008, 04:01 AM
I've been reading some of yochai benkler's (http://www.benkler.org/)stuff on commons-based peer production and motivations for participating in constructing new software.

So, i was thinking:

I know why people look for HELP in these forums but

for what reasons do people PROVIDE help to others on these forums?

(I'm not too sure if this is the best place to start this thread-if anyone has any other idea, please shout!)

hhhhhx
February 27th, 2008, 04:03 AM
it feels good :)

Iceni
February 27th, 2008, 04:03 AM
People helped me when I was more clueless than I am now. I get a great product for free, and if I can give something back that is great.

And to be quite honest I like helping people. I behave the same in real life as I do here.

justin whitaker
February 27th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Because when I was starting out with Open Source I needed to learn everything the hard way. :)

shad0w_walker
February 27th, 2008, 04:04 AM
I for one help out on the forum because I want to see more people using Linux and I want to give back to the community.

In an ideal world I'd be coding up stuff but at the moment I can only code in VB6 to any useful degree.

p_quarles
February 27th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Selfish reasons, actually.I've found that the quickest way to learning the most about an operating system is to look at other peoples' questions about it. Because I've looked up answers, and experimented with fixes, to questions and problems that I myself have never had, I've managed to gain a better understanding of the OS as a whole.

It's kind of like primary research in a scientific field. You don't go in knowing what you'll find, but the odds are that you will learn something useful.

Irihapeti
February 27th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Also selfish reasons. I enjoy helping other people solve problems in various areas of life. Why? I suppose I just like feeling good :)

Also, I was helped to solve a problem that seemed overwhelming to me when I first installed Ubuntu, so I like to give something back when I can.

y-lee
February 27th, 2008, 04:27 AM
I learn more by helping people with problems i never had

I enjoy helping people and I enjoy problem solving

It is my way of giving back to the community that gave me ubuntu for free

I want people to use ubuntu and I want it to be easy because I support FOSS and I despise capitalism

Must not forget Ego gratification :lolflag:

Afkpuz
February 27th, 2008, 04:28 AM
I do it because I want to see ubuntu become better. that means getting more people using it. Plus, I was once clueless, and now, I'm slightly less clueless. I can answer the problems that I've had before and save the really smart people the hassle of answering simple questions like "How do I change my desktop background?!"

odiseo77
February 27th, 2008, 04:33 AM
I help when I really feel I can do it, but I guess it's part of the linux philosophy; being part of a community, giving something back in some way, sharing the knowledge, etc.

tgalati4
February 27th, 2008, 04:51 AM
I've donated more time than I have spent on Microsoft products. It just feels right.

FuturePilot
February 27th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Selfish reasons, actually.I've found that the quickest way to learning the most about an operating system is to look at other peoples' questions about it. Because I've looked up answers, and experimented with fixes, to questions and problems that I myself have never had, I've managed to gain a better understanding of the OS as a whole.

It's kind of like primary research in a scientific field. You don't go in knowing what you'll find, but the odds are that you will learn something useful.

Hehe, that's what I do. You really do learn a lot from doing that.

As for why people help I think it's because open source is all about the community. It's about sharing your knowledge with others. It's also a nice way to give back to the community for making such a great OS, or piece of software or whatever. Or maybe some people just love to help. :)

jpittack
February 27th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Since I can only learn about how Ubuntu works on my computer, I browse the forums to see how it is doing as a whole. I sometimes find what others are having problems with is something that I know how to fix. In that case, I give my advice.

Currently I recieve more help then I give. Less often it is evident, as I don't post a lot when I need help. Someone already asked the same question. If I posted everytime I needed help, I would be rivaling aysiu in bean count.

Whiffle
February 27th, 2008, 05:02 AM
insanity.

And helping people out is a good way to learn, and it feels good.

PurposeOfReason
February 27th, 2008, 05:08 AM
This isn't really to criticize the board here, but when I first came to the ubuntu forums many of my threads when unhelped. I was completely new to linux and had to man page and google my way around and got more frustrated than I'll admit. I try to prevent others from having the same experience. Then again, the forums were nowhere this active or large when I joined almost a year ago.

Oh, and the same selfish reasons mentioned earlier. :)

jrusso2
February 27th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Since I don't do any developement support is one way I can give back to the community so I do support in a couple of forums and chats.

LaRoza
February 27th, 2008, 05:22 AM
To be completely honest, boredom and relaxation.

I have no higher motives, and just do it to help myself learn, and because it is relaxing and I have nothing else to do.

Of course, I do like helping people, but that is not why I post on the forum.

AndyCooll
February 27th, 2008, 05:28 AM
People helped me when I was more clueless than I am now. I get a great product for free, and if I can give something back that is great.

Same here. Folk have given me access to this fantastic free OS and I want to contribute something back. I have no coding skills, so this is my way of contributing to the community.

:cool:

k2t0f12d
February 27th, 2008, 09:57 AM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2005/20051212l.jpg

:rolleyes:

RJ Hythloday
February 27th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Just want to help give back. I'm still very much learning, so if someone else has a problem I just fixed either by searching or asking I might as well help them out now so they don't have to wait.

alwayshere
February 27th, 2008, 10:58 AM
the reason i help others is i have so much trouble trying to get things to go sometimes so i like to help others to aviod the stress also i like to dumb it down into step by step so beginers can understand as when i first started it was so hard when people assume you know how to cd to directory and know how to log in as root etc....

Cope57
February 27th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Helping others to solve the issues they are having with their PC's. Teaching them how to do it, rather than sending it somewhere to get it fixed. Knowledge is power.
But sooner or later somebody else will have a better solution for the same issue, and it helps the community grow.

regomodo
February 27th, 2008, 11:38 AM
ego and vanity, when i can be bothered

jeffus_il
February 27th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Well, A little self inspection (introspection)...
I like to feel knowledgeable... sometimes it works sometimes I feel a bit stupid.
I don't donate much to charity so maybe donating my time is a form of compensation.
I learn lots, often I have never used the software, hardware in question, and use a combination of web searches and healthy logic, almost sleuthing, and a little sweat to get a solution.
I like the guessing, Who is that on the other side of the world? What level should I write at in order to communicate? should I give a hint or the whole solution? I believe in rather giving the rod to catch the fish than the fish itself...
I believe in open software and dislike the M-word monopoly. So just to give a little is a mission. (from whoever)
Whatever I do my kids take an interest in so maybe I'll interest them in a little more than TV and computer games.
I hate the closedness of M-word OS's, the unfixable problems, that unreadable, breakable registry, which servers better than hide settings, than anything else, running tools like regclean that do whoknowswhat.
I sleep better at night knowing that I can boot the livecd and edit any setting I want, no limitations.

Hey, and also really nice people choose Linux and open source. In moments of paranoia, I think that the really bad posts, are M-word agents, sent to damage the Ubuntu reputation, a sort of industrial espionage.

I like it here!

RJ Hythloday
February 27th, 2008, 12:01 PM
ego and vanity, when i can be bothered
bean count?

jeffus_il
February 27th, 2008, 12:02 PM
bean count?
Or the protein from them?

misfitpierce
February 27th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Because the users here are my family... :)

derekr44
February 27th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Pay it forward.

fatality_uk
February 27th, 2008, 05:06 PM
There's always the chance that Elle Macpherson, having quit modelling and become newly single, decides to take up a career as a Linux sys admin. Her first question is answered by me. We strike up a long, deep and meaningful relationship which leads to us settling down, and spending the rest of our blissfully happy lives together, living laughing and loving...

My wife says it's a stupid idea!!

justin whitaker
February 27th, 2008, 05:16 PM
There's always the chance that Elle Macpherson, having quit modelling and become newly single, decides to take up a career as a Linux sys admin. Her first question is answered by me. We strike up a long, deep and meaningful relationship which leads to us settling down, and spending the rest of our blissfully happy lives together, living laughing and loving...

My wife says it's a stupid idea!!

At least you dream big! :)

Ripfox
February 27th, 2008, 05:18 PM

+1 that nailed it for me as well...:)

regomodo
February 27th, 2008, 06:34 PM
bean count?

haha, possibly, but i spend most my time in the cafe

BDNiner
February 27th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I am not at the point yet where i can help others, but others definately help me. and that is why i keep coming back.

ryanhaigh
February 28th, 2008, 12:14 AM
So that when i google my name a page that actually relates to me is in the top 5 results, using Ryan Haigh (http://www.google.com.au/search?q=Ryan+Haigh&hl=en&start=20&sa=N) I'm not even in the top 30, but a search for ryanhaigh (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=ryanhaigh&btnG=Google+Search&meta=) puts me at number 3. Once I reach number one I will move on to world domination.