PDA

View Full Version : How I Spread Ubuntu

brentoboy
October 1st, 2005, 07:06 PM
If you are like me, every time somebody's windows box has issues (which happens all the time) they call me and ask how to fix it. Sometimes, I tell them to bring it over and just leave it at my place and I'll kick it into gear. (saves me time and them frustration.)

My new strategy is to talk them into migrating to ubuntu - expecially if their PC is bursting at the seams with windows crap. All they want is a browser anyway. I get it up and running, and then I advise them not to do anything that requires the password without asking me about what it is going to do. - happy sailing

I just need a handful of official ubuntu CDs to give them after I install it - so they feel like they have a lifeline (like they need it anyway). The "official" cd helps becuase they feel like it was made by a real person - not just me in my basement. And I tell them that the stuff they are using really is free (not just pirated) People prefer to live within the law - so long as it doenst cost them a few thousand dollars just to have office software and desktop publishing and image editing software.

They need to be warned. And they need to be given the 20 mintute introduction to the important apps. But, after that, smooth sailing.

Ubuntu is the first desktop I have been comfortable passing out that wont come back to me more often than windows already does.

give it away, giv'it away, giv'it away now!

tageiru
October 1st, 2005, 07:14 PM
Nice, however I would probably have sliced my wrists if I constantly needed to tell people why their movies, mp3s and favorite games did not work any more.

I only recommend linux to people I know have at least fundamental understanding of the technical differences between linux and windows and with an understanding of legal issues with software.

dcraven
October 1st, 2005, 07:33 PM
I got 10 Hoary CDs from shipit, and when I get the plea from friends and family about Windows problems I leave one for them. They all know that I hate fixing thier spyware/virus ridden crap. I tell them that next time their machine reaches an unusable state, pop in the LiveCD and you can do the browser/email thing without worrying about losing data or being burdened with spyware. After a quick demo of the CD to ensure it works with thier hardware, I bolt.

A couple of times some of these folks have told me about thier experiences with it. To them, it's some sort of Windows fix-it software. Windows still gets full credit, but at least they are exposed to the word "Linux" even if they have no idea what it is. One time I went to a friends house and the machine was on, with Ubuntu booted up. I was pleased.

~djc

KingBahamut
October 1st, 2005, 08:58 PM
Nice, however I would probably have sliced my wrists if I constantly needed to tell people why their movies, mp3s and favorite games did not work any more.

I only recommend linux to people I know have at least fundamental understanding of the technical differences between linux and windows and with an understanding of legal issues with software.

For a normal office user or a normal email users I never have a problem supporting them. Its my job , probably not my day job, but still my job.

poofyhairguy
October 2nd, 2005, 02:10 AM
Here is my best advice on teh subject!

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=58862