PDA

View Full Version : Very Frustraited

taco
October 1st, 2005, 06:48 PM
I am really upset that i was banned in #ubuntu irc. I didn't know this was a Nazi OS.

I simply pasted my lcpi settings. All I wanted was some patience, now i just want to know how to unrar this Windows XP iso so i can burn it, that's if my burner on here even works.

I had no money to buy an OS, and I thought Ubuntu was the answer, and I thought that even though I knew nothing about Linux, I could get the support I needed here.

If anyone can help me, please message me on yahoo: yurduhzeez (online now through gaim)
or aim: Resinonbrain

tageiru
October 1st, 2005, 06:57 PM
It is very bad irc etiquette to post multiple lines of text in IRC. You would have been kicked from most channels for doing that. It is not Ubuntu specific at all.

For future reference, please use paste services when you want to show multiple lines of data.

Search for paste bin on google.

Oh and by the way, Microsoft does not distribute Windows XP in rarred isos. It is probably an illegal copy. Dont use it.

aysiu
October 1st, 2005, 06:59 PM
i just want to know how to unrar this Windows XP iso so i can burn it Use unrar (http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=unrar&searchon=names&subword=1&version=hoary&release=all). It's in Universe, which is available after you do this:

http://ubuntuguide.org/#extrarepositories

taco
October 1st, 2005, 07:03 PM
Use unrar (http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=unrar&searchon=names&subword=1&version=hoary&release=all). It's in Universe, which is available after you do this:

http://ubuntuguide.org/#extrarepositories

I downloaded it, but i don't know how to install or use it. :(

As I said, I am brand new to Linux.

taco
October 1st, 2005, 07:13 PM
I am sorry if I come across as agressive, stupid, and impatient. I am very much in favor of opensource OS's and software.

I just have a limited amount of time to do what i need to do and need quick answers.

taco
October 1st, 2005, 07:17 PM
It is very bad irc etiquette to post multiple lines of text in IRC. You would have been kicked from most channels for doing that. It is not Ubuntu specific at all.

For future reference, please use paste services when you want to show multiple lines of data.

Search for paste bin on google.

Oh and by the way, Microsoft does not distribute Windows XP in rarred isos. It is probably an illegal copy. Dont use it.

I didn't know that it was improper, and it wasn't that multiple. It was 3 lines.

It is a copy my friend burned and rarred for me, my windows xp serial number is placed directly on my tower. My original disk is broken.

bored2k
October 1st, 2005, 07:21 PM
I didn't know that it was improper, and it wasn't that multiple. It was 3 lines.

It is a copy my friend burned and rarred for me, my windows xp serial number is placed directly on my tower. My original disk is broken.
It's not just #ubuntu. ANY IRC channel who tries to be serious would kick/ban you after 2+ posts in succession. It's automatically done, people don't even have to bother. So don't blame the irc channel for that.

tageiru
October 1st, 2005, 07:21 PM
Yeah, but irc quickly becomes useless if everyone would paste stuff. It gets really hard to carry out an conversation when people paste stuff you dont even care about.

Right, sorry for jumping to conclusions.

taco
October 1st, 2005, 07:25 PM
It's not just #ubuntu. ANY IRC channel who tries to be serious would kick/ban you after 2+ posts in succession. It's automatically done, people don't even have to bother. So don't blame the irc channel for that.

I have never had that problem in IRC. Forgive me? What am I supposed to think?

Now can't someone PLEASE guide me through and have a little bit of empathy?

Isn't this the "Absolute Beginners" forum?

blastus
October 1st, 2005, 11:19 PM

You will have to get a replacement XP disk from Microsoft. You cannot use a single copy of XP on more than one machine under ANY circumstances because of product activation. I know it's stupid but that's they way Microsoft wants it.

begin rant
I mean, even if I wanted to buy a new computer right now I would have to buy another copy of XP for it even though I already own a copy of XP for my current computer. The fact that my only interest is to run games on XP, I would have no interest in using both computers at the same time. I can't anyway because I only have one monitor, two eyes, and two hands--but all this is irrelevant to XP licensing as there are absolutely no exceptions. The same is true for people who use MS-Office and own a desktop and a laptop but have no need to use both at the same time. These people need to purchase two copies of MS-Office even though they only need and will only ever use one copy at any given time.
end rant

Anyway, if you want to use RAR, download 7-Zip (http://www.7-zip.org/), it should support RAR. Edit: sorry 7-Zip is for Windows only.

aysiu
October 1st, 2005, 11:25 PM
I downloaded it, but i don't know how to install or use it. :(
As I said, I am brand new to Linux. You don't download it and install it separately. Use Synaptic. It downloads and installs at once. See my sig for more details... after you add the right repositories (see my previous post).

bambala2002
October 1st, 2005, 11:27 PM
2 blastus: if he uses his own serial for installation/activation then it's not a problem

blastus
October 1st, 2005, 11:33 PM
2 blastus: if he uses his own serial for installation/activation then it's not a problem

Corporate licensing aside, my understanding it that every copy of XP has its own product key. This product key must be entered when XP is installed. This is different from the activation key but there is a one-to-one relationship between the product key and the activation key. My understanding, is that you cannot have two different activation keys associated with the same product key. Even if this is allowed, which I can't imagine it is, he'd probably have to call Microsoft.

Blue1k
October 1st, 2005, 11:43 PM
Go to this link and download unrar non-free:
ftp://ftp.rez-gif.supelec.fr/pub/Linux/distrib/debian/pool/non-free/u/unrar/unrar_2.71-1_i386.deb
Then open a console in the directory you have saved the unrar DEB file to. You can change directories by typing "cd"
So for example if I wanted to change to my Desktop I would type:
cd /home/karl/Desktop

Then in the console type this:
sudo dpkg -i unrar_2.71-1_i386.deb

Then all you have to do is right click on the Win XP RAR file and choose extract.

If the serial gives you problems there are ways around it to be able get updates...but I won't post that.;)

taco
October 2nd, 2005, 02:31 AM
Go to this link and download unrar non-free:
ftp://ftp.rez-gif.supelec.fr/pub/Linux/distrib/debian/pool/non-free/u/unrar/unrar_2.71-1_i386.deb
Then open a console in the directory you have saved the unrar DEB file to. You can change directories by typing "cd"
So for example if I wanted to change to my Desktop I would type:
cd /home/karl/Desktop

Then in the console type this:
sudo dpkg -i unrar_2.71-1_i386.deb

Then all you have to do is right click on the Win XP RAR file and choose extract.

If the serial gives you problems there are ways around it to be able get updates...but I won't post that.;)

:D Problem solved. I was beginning to think that no one cared that much. Thanks

taco
October 2nd, 2005, 02:35 AM
aysiu, that is a great tutorial.

aysiu
October 2nd, 2005, 02:41 AM
aysiu, that is a great tutorial. It's the reason I'm still using Ubuntu--otherwise, I'd be using Mepis.

WildTangent
October 2nd, 2005, 02:46 AM
ok...to throw my lot in...product key and activation key on XP disks are the same...the CDs are interchangeable with the keys, as long as its the same version (Home or Pro, SP1 or SP2) having CDs with unique keys is impossible, because each CD would be different, and thus require a different mould for pressing for EVERY CD. they use a mathematical algorithm, if the key matches, then its allowed

-Wild

majikstreet
October 2nd, 2005, 02:56 AM
it's illegal.
and this is linux.

WildTangent
October 2nd, 2005, 03:52 AM
it's illegal.
and this is linux.
please...do elaborate :???:

-Wild

aysiu
October 2nd, 2005, 04:10 AM
According to Microsoft's Windows XP Home Edition EULA (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx): "You may move the Software to a different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you must completely remove the Software from the former Workstation Computer."

drizek
October 2nd, 2005, 04:12 AM
You will have to get a replacement XP disk from Microsoft. You cannot use a single copy of XP on more than one machine under ANY circumstances because of product activation. I know it's stupid but that's they way Microsoft wants it.

begin rant
I mean, even if I wanted to buy a new computer right now I would have to buy another copy of XP for it even though I already own a copy of XP for my current computer. The fact that my only interest is to run games on XP, I would have no interest in using both computers at the same time. I can't anyway because I only have one monitor, two eyes, and two hands--but all this is irrelevant to XP licensing as there are absolutely no exceptions. The same is true for people who use MS-Office and own a desktop and a laptop but have no need to use both at the same time. These people need to purchase two copies of MS-Office even though they only need and will only ever use one copy at any given time.
end rant

Anyway, if you want to use RAR, download 7-Zip (http://www.7-zip.org/), it should support RAR. Edit: sorry 7-Zip is for Windows only.

noone is forcing you to buy from dell. there are plenty of companies where you can get no OS and save 100 bucks. We should be working on convincing them to have ubuntu(or other linux) preinstalled as a free option.

Edit: I think MS's policy on windows is total crap. I just got a cracked pirated copy because im not going to deal with their activation crap everytime i want to change something in my computer. Its my software, i paid for it dammit, let me use it.

blastus
October 2nd, 2005, 06:09 AM
ok...to throw my lot in...product key and activation key on XP disks are the same...the CDs are interchangeable with the keys, as long as its the same version (Home or Pro, SP1 or SP2) having CDs with unique keys is impossible, because each CD would be different, and thus require a different mould for pressing for EVERY CD. they use a mathematical algorithm, if the key matches, then its allowed

This makes total sense. Thanks for clearing up that WildTangent.

noone is forcing you to buy from dell. there are plenty of companies where you can get no OS and save 100 bucks. We should be working on convincing them to have ubuntu(or other linux) preinstalled as a free option.

I have never bought a Dell computer though a friend of mine did many years ago and since then he's vowed not to buy another Dell again. I have only bought and will only buy white box computers.

Anyway, my post was not about being able to buy a computer without Windows; it was about XP licenses and that fact that if you own two computers and you want XP on both of them you need to buy two XP licenses--no exceptions.