PDA

View Full Version : An alternative way to taste Linux

cutOff
October 1st, 2005, 05:41 PM
Do you wish to have a look to linux with no need to install in your hard drive? You might want to see this

http://www.workspot.com/

And a demostration can be found here (Java plugin required)

http://www.workspot.net/cgi/demo.cgi

Enjoy!

Kvark
October 1st, 2005, 07:36 PM
Wow, that thing is very impressive. Well, it was a lil bit slow and after a while I got a problem with that programs wouldn't show up when started. But it is a fully functional Gnome desktop on a website! Didn't think that was even possible. :-o

That might be a good site to point to if anyone asks about Linux or Gnome in a chatroom where you can't physically hand em a live CD. :-)

tageiru
October 1st, 2005, 07:43 PM
Wow, that thing is very impressive. Well, it was a lil bit slow and after a while I got a problem with that programs wouldn't show up when started. But it is a fully functional Gnome desktop on a website! Didn't think that was even possible. :-o
That might be a good site to point to if anyone asks about Linux or Gnome in a chatroom where you can't physically hand em a live CD. :-)
Its just a vnc client written in java that connects to a server running linux. Nice idea though.

darkmatter
October 1st, 2005, 09:03 PM
That is cool.

Though they really should update their installation.;)

totalshredder
October 1st, 2005, 09:30 PM
That's the most awesome linux thing I've seen in a long, long time. It'd be awesome if you got 20 megs or something. This is almost a preview of what google could do. I really liked that, sweet stuff.

Luke

-Rick-
October 1st, 2005, 09:45 PM
Pretty cool indeed.
If you subscribe, it says that you have to pay $0.00 ... but they still need your credit card info ;)

Orunitia
October 1st, 2005, 10:07 PM
It's cool, but they REALLY need to use a newer version. Though I think they're using the Mandrake version I got started out on linux with, so that's cool to see again.

urbandryad
October 1st, 2005, 10:13 PM
Pretty cool indeed.
If you subscribe, it says that you have to pay $0.00 ... but they still need your credit card info ;)

Well, I wouldn't be able to subscribe. I don't have a credit card. :rolleyes: I hope they fix THAT soon, or they can forget about alot of people using it.

What about young people who want to try this? You can't get a credit card if your 14 or 15 years old, and young people use Linux too!

skoal
October 1st, 2005, 10:19 PM
I may be unique, but I think that's one of the wackiest things I've seen in a long time. I rank it right up there with slathering peanut butter all over a stalk of celery.

Now, don't get me wrong here. From reading their FAQ, I understand the utility of such a thing. However, I thought I read in there somewhere that it costs 9.95/month to establish an account and use this. They lost me at that point. Can't you dual boot Ubuntu for free, get the real deal, and it's much faster? Someone help me see the light here. Not sunlight, that kind burns. Just the kind that hovers over your head at ~75W.

\\//_

poofyhairguy
October 2nd, 2005, 12:14 AM
Amazing. Kinda old Gnome. But neat still.

urbandryad
October 2nd, 2005, 12:16 AM
I may be unique, but I think that's one of the wackiest things I've seen in a long time. I rank it right up there with slathering peanut butter all over a stalk of celery.

\\//_

I put peanut butter on celery. :3

I like Free, thats why I have Ubuntu on my blueberry iBook. XD

skoal
October 2nd, 2005, 12:36 AM
I didn't quite see the real utility of this thing until I dug further than the FAQ and read the "uses" link. I can see it's benefit even over using a liveCD, which I didn't see at first. Still kind of a whacky concept to me though. OS in a browser? Whoda thunkit.

\\//_

liquidtenmillion
October 2nd, 2005, 04:58 AM
Is it just me or do the screenshots clearly show redhat 8, but the desktop itself runs Mandrake?

Qrk
October 2nd, 2005, 07:25 AM
Wow.

That is really amazing. I never knew you could do that. Its like my computer was turned inside out.

whiterabbit
October 2nd, 2005, 09:36 AM
Hehe.. that's pretty wacky. Great way to give somebody a small taste albeit it'd **** of the impatient.

Lord Illidan
October 2nd, 2005, 10:02 AM
Not bad.. But I can't really see the utility of such a system. Sure it is supposed to be better than a live cd, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who wanted to taste linux. I mean, all I see there is a desktop... a glorified screenshot, one could say....

And paying just for the privilege of viewing an old Mandrake desktop through VNC is not my cup of tea, thanks...

cbudden
October 2nd, 2005, 01:57 PM
Really cool. Bit slow though.