PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] NET_PROFILES Line in rc.conf Ignored

Majorix
February 26th, 2008, 04:32 AM
I have WPA on a wireless connection, and after a little tinkering, I came to the conclusion that I needed Network Profiles. So I went ahead and created one for the wireless conn and one for the wired.

Everything seemed to work fine (at least on wireless, I haven't tested the wired connection) and I downloaded the updates, and a few extra packages and installed them.

After having installed a GUI and stuff, I rebooted into X. However, when I tried to go onto google on the browser, I couldn't. I tried other pages too, to no avail.

I can connect to the net fine on my desktop however, and I am posting from there.

It came to my attention that, while booting, it didn't even say "Starting the network profile" anymore. I thought it may be something wrong with the rc.conf, so I have tried setting the NET_PROFILES option there to
(wifi !wired)
(wifi)
(menu)
but it didn't work.

I have gone ahead and set the hostname to something else in the main profile (wifi) to see if it would show up (that would mean the line is processed and the profile is working fine, right?), but it went for the default hostname (ie the one in rc.conf) again.

What could be wrong? I am so totally puzzled :(

The line ISN'T commented out.

I tried moving the line to the top but it didn't work.

And finally as a result the wireless device isn't recognized (only lo is).

I want to hear your opinions.

bwtranch
February 26th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Maybe you could post the output of
nano /etc/rc.conf
and include some of your info on the wireless (iwconfig) and just some info on your hardware,...:)

Majorix
February 26th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I can't get on the net on that computer so its impossible for me to post the output of rc.conf. Which specific parts of it you need so maybe I can type them in?

The same with iwconfig :(

My wireless card is an Intel Pro Wireless 2200bg. RAM is 512 and the CPU is 1.73GHz Pentium 4M.

bwtranch
February 26th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I can't get on the net on that computer so its impossible for me to post the output of rc.conf. Which specific parts of it you need so maybe I can type them in?

The same with iwconfig :(

My wireless card is an Intel Pro Wireless 2200bg. RAM is 512 and the CPU is 1.73GHz Pentium 4M.

Well, it's ok. I just wish I could look over the file...

I really can't guess the possibilities here. You need to find out if the driver for the wireless is installed and working. Config the thing after that. See in:
iwconfigYour driver comes up? or "no wireless extensions"?

OK bad example. I have no wireless extensions on this machine:
localhost / # ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:19:21:6B:AD:22
inet addr:192.168.2.2 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::219:21ff:fe6b:ad22/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:398206 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:292901 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:432502333 (412.4 Mb) TX bytes:45263516 (43.1 Mb)
Interrupt:16

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:66 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:66 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:5116 (4.9 Kb) TX bytes:5116 (4.9 Kb)

localhost / #

I'll have to go to my other machine to show you the wireless out. I have a Belkin.

Majorix
February 27th, 2008, 04:54 AM
It's FIXED now.

It was a bug with a newer version of a software called initscripts in Arch. If you enable testing and update, you are hit by this bug.

I re-installed Arch, but this time I didn't enable testing or unstable. I could update fine and stuff.

When its fixed I will enable testing&unstable again :lolflag: Can't live without the newest software.

Thanks for the help offer, bwtranch :)

kpkeerthi
February 27th, 2008, 01:10 PM
As a side note...
You can keep unstable alongside core and other main repositories without any impact. The packages in testing are uniquely named so they do no conflict with the main ones.