PDA

View Full Version : The year of the pengiun

hhhhhx
February 26th, 2008, 03:11 AM
What year do you think that linux(ubuntu) will become really widely used?

igknighted
February 26th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Is there an option for "linux is ready for those who want it and will never be ready for those who don't"?

hhhhhx
February 26th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Is there an option for "linux is ready for those who want it and will never be ready for those who don't"?
what about the people who want it, but don't know that it's there?

init1
February 26th, 2008, 03:21 AM
True but many of those people who would like it don't know about it yet.

icechen1
February 26th, 2008, 04:12 AM
True but many of those people who would like it don't know about it yet.

+1
Most of my friends don't know what is Linux until I told them,half of them don't even know what is an operating system.

Superkoop
February 26th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Most of my friends don't know what is Linux until i told them,half of them don't even know what is an operating system.

Same here, although in my case, I'm the only one of my friends that knows what an operating system. (I've told as many friends as I get a chance, and I try explaining to them, but whenever I start talking about something semi related to computers, they like just close there brains or something) *sigh* I guess I can blame it on schools for not teaching anyone about computers.

hhhhhx
February 26th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Same here, although in my case, I'm the only one of my friends that knows what an operating system. (I've told as many friends as I get a chance, and I try explaining to them, but whenever I start talking about something semi related to computers, they like just close there brains or something) *sigh* I guess I can blame it on schools for not teaching anyone about computers.
at my school, they teach computers, it's windows app's, and its flocking MANDATORY!! :shock:

Northsider
February 26th, 2008, 04:34 AM
I voted 5 years. People will get sick enough of windows garbage and either go to Mac or Linux.

jrusso2
February 26th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Linux will never replace Windows or even OS X on the desktop. It is just never going to be user friendly enough as long as the developers and Free Software only advocates control it.

Does this matter to me? Not really, I have grown tired of such thoughts. I have been using Linux happily for 12 years and have heard the year of Linux for the last ten.

So for me I get what I like out of it already.

Superkoop
February 26th, 2008, 05:12 AM
at my school, they teach computers, it's windows app's, and its flocking MANDATORY!! :shock:

At the high school in my town the computer class consists of "learning" how to use microsoft office word, excel, access, and frontpage (the teacher told us all websites were made with frontpage...LMAO) And then we did some windows movie maker.
The class was a freaking joke, and they are now requiring you take the class for 3 semesters instead of one. And you do the exact same thing in each year.

A really funny thing that the teacher had asked me once after I got done rendering a video I made in WMM and the .avi file she had me save it as was 1.5 GB, was, "is that somewhat big?" (she was serious) I didn't answer her, I just looked at her.
It was that moment that I realized why so many people my age have no clue about computers.

jcwmoore
February 26th, 2008, 05:40 AM
do you mean when linux will surpass windows?

well... sorry but never... windows is way too entrenched in the business world, and though it may be cheaper to use linux the cost of change FAR out weighs the cost of continuing the status quo. if people use it at work, they will use it at home, in the forseeable future, windows is going no where.... :(

sumguy231
February 26th, 2008, 05:47 AM
This year will definately be the year of the Solaris desktop.

Err, wait...