PDA

View Full Version : Possible bug: can rate threads with "t=" number <1000

-grubby
February 26th, 2008, 01:51 AM
I think there may be a possible bug with the forums. I was looking at old threads and..... I kept changing "t-numbers". (t="). And I've discovered that I, as a normal user, can rate threads that have a "t-number" under 1000! Just alerting the administrators

Forrest Gumpp
February 26th, 2008, 02:45 AM
What do you mean by 'rating' threads, precisely?

Do you mean alter the number of views recorded? Or alteration of the markers indicating such things as hot threads?

Perhaps I only show my ignorance of the site. Is there some other rating feature for threads? If so, please tell me about it.

p_quarles
February 26th, 2008, 02:50 AM
What do you mean by 'rating' threads, precisely?

Do you mean alter the number of views recorded? Or alteration of the markers indicating such things as hot threads?

Perhaps I only show my ignorance of the site. Is there some other rating feature for threads? If so, please tell me about it.
There is a thread rating system, and the rating shows up as a number of roses next to the thread. Only staff are supposed to be able to use this feature, though. For some reason, the permissions on these old threads aren't working correctly.

Forrest Gumpp
February 26th, 2008, 05:28 AM
As this thread is currently at the top of the first index page, and making this post will not have the effect of 'bumping' the thread to the detriment of any other topic, I will say thank you to p_quarles for the explanation of thread ratings. I was wondering about those roses.

I did not want to press the 'Thanks' button with this topic so close to the Stickies and another locked thread in this index at the moment. I'm just waiting to test whether I can remove thanks from a post in a locked thread without attracting the attention of another rose.

If I succeed I hope popch will understand. popch did some thinking for me earlier today, and my clicking finger flinched reflexively while resting on the mouse as I absorbed the import of his post. Bang! Thanked!

Sometimes I don't think it is fully appreciated what a polite and Thankful lot Ubuntuans are by and large. That was a good hot thread before it got locked. Pity.

Post #11 in this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=705814 may prove of some use in this context.

popch
February 26th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I'm just waiting to test whether I can remove thanks from a post in a locked thread without attracting the attention of another rose.

If I succeed I hope popch will understand..

He will. Please try and do it.

Actually, it entered my mind to suggest it. I didn't because it's really a minor matter.

Forrest Gumpp
February 26th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Done already, over two hours ago. No flak encountered in so doing. I suppose LaRoza must sleep sometime. Successfully helped reduce the 'gratitude dilution effect', at least in this one case.

I wonder whether I will be thanked for it?

I get the impression that the Forum Feedback and Help area is going into lock-down. I saw a couple of earlier 'thanks' threads that have not yet been locked back on about page three or four. Most of the more recent ones have been locked. Do you think they should be moved up in readiness for some moderation when work resumes in timezone Tango?

I trust all this has nothing to do with anything either of us may have done. Thank you for your understanding.

popch
February 26th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Done already, over two hours ago. (...) I wonder whether I will be thanked for it?

So I've noticed. Gosh, my thanks count just dropped by nearly 2 percent.

Thank you. (So.)

I get the impression that the Forum Feedback and Help area is going into lock-down. I saw a couple of earlier 'thanks' threads that have not yet been locked back on about page three or four.

They have been locked in order to prevent still more incidents of the SPDS (Sticky Perception Dysfunction Syndrome), I believe.

To return to topic: Have you noticed how this thread failed to collect roses of distinction, lately?

p_quarles
February 26th, 2008, 09:23 AM
They have been locked in order to prevent still more incidents of the SPDS (Sticky Perception Dysfunction Syndrome), I believe.
The sticky in question also contains instructions for experimenting with the feature.

Forrest Gumpp
February 26th, 2008, 01:26 PM
To return to topic: Have you noticed how this thread failed to collect roses of distinction, lately?

Yes, I have. I think this is because the available roses of distinction have been being deployed by those exploiting the permissivity of those early threads of which nathangrubb has so fortuitously warned in his OP.

It can't possibly be because this thread lacks merit. I'm nevertheless reluctant to experiment with the future as p_quarles seems to suggest should (under instruction) be done. All in all, a bit of a sticky situation.

I do hope the moderators take the appropriate action on the morrow. This is a potential pandemic situation. Everything should be locked down!

"Nun danket alle Gott, mitt...."

Forrest Gumpp
February 27th, 2008, 01:43 AM
popch,

SPDS continues to spread, seemingly unchecked. I have done what I could on LauraSakura's thread: I hope I caught it in time. Good to see moderation prevailing in the response to this and other gratitude related threats. I see another nearby thread has just been locked.

As the mystery of the absence of any rose of distinction in relation to this thread remains unsolved, I will take this opportunity to perhaps shed a little light on the matter.

Found, in the thread 'how many of you have few/ no friend at all?' http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=708467 post # 2:

I have no friends at the moment. I don't mind.

I interact with people when I am around them, and don't when I am not around them.

I do hope LaRoza realizes her seeming absence from this area of the Forums is noted, and that quoting her from another thread does not make her feel in any way a second-hand rose. She is mistaken, I'm sure she has friends hereabouts. If only she cared.

It only just struck me that I had earlier perhaps taken your reference to roses of distinction for this thread the wrong way. Sorry if I digressed.

p_quarles
February 27th, 2008, 01:56 AM
SPDS continues to spread, seemingly unchecked. I have done what I could on LauraSakura's thread: I hope I caught it in time. Good to see moderation prevailing in the response to this and other gratitude related threats. I see another nearby thread has just been locked.
Umm, what? That thread was not asking about the "thanked posts" feature at all. I suspect you have misunderstood the specific concern: ever since the "thanks" feature was introduced (still in Alpha) about two months ago, there have been an influx of posts asking about that feature. That, in itself, is like other topics in that the same question is asked repeatedly. Where it differs is in its tendency to generate a lot of extraneous "thanks" for whoever answers the question.

Is it a really big deal? No. Is the staff trying to censor people who ask about it? No (we could simply delete those threads if we wanted to). Has anyone been "punished" for abusing the feature? No. It just dilutes the utility of the feature, and that's why the staff is trying to gently discourage it.