PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Cheatsheet

thesingularity
February 25th, 2008, 11:53 PM
removed

Dojan5
February 26th, 2008, 01:39 PM
YEAH, i like this cheatsheet, not least the name.
But for me (as a beginner) It is very useful

===EDIT 1===

:.:.:Off Topic:.:.:
Oh yaa, why dont Canonical include Alt+T as a command for opening the terminal?
I out my settings like that, VERY useful...

>>>EDIT 2<<<
O_O
Why aint UbuntuForums link on the sheet?

mr.propre
February 26th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Well ist not perfect, but a thanks for you.
BTW: you can programm a shortcut to open your terminal, even to program it using a function key (like most keyboard have).

System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts.

handy
February 26th, 2008, 02:05 PM
You may find a few additions on this site (http://tldp.org/guides.html).

Keep up the good work, you will learn heaps compiling you Cheatsheet.

machoo02
February 26th, 2008, 03:01 PM
rm -i path delete a file or directory and all its contents
The -i flag will cause rm to be interactive, and ask you to confirm before deleting. It won't allow you do delete a directory that currently has files in it. For that, you need the -R (recursive) flag to delete a directory AND its contents.

koleoptero
February 26th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Oh this is great! Keep adding things! this would be really helpful to a lot of people (including me). :)

Another no so known (but potentially dangerous) and useful thing is when you want to get root priviledges in the terminal, like the old su command, which is: sudo -i

JurB
February 26th, 2008, 03:35 PM
/boot holds the linux kernel, startup files and grub
/root is root (administrator) home folder
ps ax shows all processes

tehet
February 26th, 2008, 03:47 PM
to get root priviledges in the terminal, like the old su command, which is: sudo -i
Yes, that's a proper way to gain root. sudo su as stated in the cheat sheet is a big no-no!

afeasfaerw23231233
February 26th, 2008, 06:46 PM
i am a noob. but i would suggest you to add
vim filename --> i [insert text] --> esc [exit] --> :q! [quit] / :wq! [save and quit]
sudo apt-get install something
top [see cpu usage, ram usage, uptime..]
free -m [ see ram usage] free -m -s 1 [ update every 1 sec]
df -h [see disk usage]
it may has error, i cannot remember more at the moment
edit: ah...
chmod -fR 777 filename [777 can be replaced by other values]
ctrl + c [terminate the process in the terminal]

koleoptero
February 26th, 2008, 08:31 PM
i am a noob. but i would suggest you to add
vim filename --> shift + i [insert text] --> esc [exit] --> :q! [quit] / :wq! [save and quit]

You don't need shift to enter insert mode in vim, just i. And there are so many things about vim that it's a chapter in itself...

Vadi
February 26th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I didn't even know some of this stuff, so thanks!

I think you should add planet.ubuntulinux.com though, it's like a congregation of a bunch of ubuntu-related blogs.

koenn
February 26th, 2008, 08:58 PM
You don't need shift to enter insert mode in vim, just i. And there are so many things about vim that it's a chapter in itself...
yes, but the actions needed to get in to edit mode, edit a text, save and quit, are the absolute minimum you need to edit a file. And it's not uncommon for new users to actually reboot their computer because they can't figure out how lo leave vim, so it's a usefull 'cheat code'

for the record : the [esc] is not really an exit, it means 'leave edit mode, enter command mode' so that the commands (write, quite) actually work in stead of being added as text to the file.

tdrusk
February 27th, 2008, 02:49 AM
This seems more fulfilling...

http://people.debian.org/~debacle/refcard/refcard-en-a4.pdf

AndyCooll
February 27th, 2008, 05:17 AM
In fact here are the ultimate in cheat sheets: Linux-Unix-Cheat-Sheets (http://www.scottklarr.com/topic/115/linux-unix-cheat-sheets---the-ultimate-collection/)

:cool:

blithen
February 27th, 2008, 07:17 AM
How did you make the cheat sheet?
EDIT: What program did you use rather.

thesingularity
February 27th, 2008, 01:48 PM
removed

kaens
February 27th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Some more useful terminal things:

`command` - substitute ouput of command, e.g.

>file `which man`
/usr/bin/man: symbolic link to `../lib/man-db/man'

!! - run the previous command
Ctrl-r - search backwards through history for command
^foo^bar - run last command substituting foo for bar

One more thing that I've found particularly useful:

dpkg --contents /var/cache/apt/archives/<packagename>

will return a list of what files were added / modified on your system by <packagename>

afeasfaerw23231233
February 27th, 2008, 03:14 PM

yes, thanks for your suggestion. i only know how to insert, esc, : , q , w and !. i am too lazy to look at the man page

darsu
February 27th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Some important regular expressions tokens that apply everywhere:
^ = start of line
$ = end of line

kevdog
February 27th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Although this might be a bit much for your cheatsheet, I think learning grep, sed, and awk are quite useful, since these in my opinion are really powerful tools to search through files, and filter what you want.

Im no master at any of these tools, however I found a great one-line sed site (I dont understand all the examples, but they are really easy to use):
http://sed.sourceforge.net/sed1line.txt

handy
February 27th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Welcome, added Ubuntu Forums to the cheatsheet. :)

Nice thanks for the tip. :)

Whoops! My mistake - fixed. :)

Cool, wow I did not know about the ram usage nor hard disk usage commands. Thanks very much!

Welcome, thanks for the link. I will check it out soon as I currently have a dialup connection.

I created my own web based software that allows anyone to create web based cheatsheets for any project, it is currently used at hey4.com (http://hey4.com)

You can see another example of the cheatsheet web application working here: Ultimate Mathematics Cheat Sheet (http://hey4.com/ultimate_mathematics_cheat_sheet)

A special thank you to all the people who "thanked" my post. :)

How could I not thank such a post?

Of course you would agree... :-)

Vadi
February 27th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I added the planet on your cheatsheet:

http://hey4.com/ubuntu_cheat_sheet

Xbehave
February 27th, 2008, 06:45 PM
keep it short otherwise people wont read it. too many of the 'better' alternatives are far too long and most people wont bother reading them

corney91
February 27th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Just a minor thing - you only need to use 'cd' to get to the home directory, it's essentially the same as 'cd ~' but two characters less :p

Anyway, great cheatsheet!:)

days_of_ruin
March 1st, 2008, 05:18 AM
Just a minor thing - you only need to use 'cd' to get to the home directory, it's essentially the same as 'cd ~' but two characters less :p

Anyway, great cheatsheet!:)

Wish I had known that#-o

thesingularity
March 4th, 2008, 12:05 PM
removed

marufaberlin
March 4th, 2008, 12:31 PM
How about some commands you should definitely not run (see my signature). You maight want to look at http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=100.

PS.: Is the Ubuntu CheatSheet available as a PDF Document?

TorqueyPete
March 17th, 2008, 01:24 PM
What a great thread!
I reckon that a beginners list like this should be part of the introduction every Linux distro.
After all , the vast majority of the, so far, limited number of folks who actually know what Linux is but are Windows users by default, still believe it's for experts and techies only.
May I suggest altering the "sudo apt-get install package" line to "sudo apt-get install/remove package" and add the info that you use either install or remove, depending on your intentions for the package? Just so that total noobs like me can undo their mistakes, without trawling through tutorials that seem to be so in depth that you get fed up.
Not everyone, has the ability to concentrate for long enough, like me with severe tinnitus, and some have 'short term memory loss', which is a recognized disability.

Thanks again for a useful list!