PDA

View Full Version : Starforce and Linux

general.rule
February 25th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I have a problem and I am hoping may be migrating to Ubuntu may solve it. But first I would ask you for your opinions:

I wish to play some good games made for the Windows platform in Linux using Wine or Cedega of any other similar software. But the problem with those games is that they contain "Starforce" protection which causes many problems with your system and it could even destroy your CD/DVD drives. On the game boxes nothing was mentioned about Starforce and it automatically gets installed when you install the game but if you uninstall the game even then it remains on your PC until you take the trouble to manually remove it. May be everything about Starforce is just rumor or may be thats correct but most of the gamers I have asked from on various forums have told me to avoid those games. Unfortunately I didn't know about Starforce before and I have many games with me now but because I do not wish to take the risk I don't play them. Also the reason is that I have bought a new system so I don't wish to take risk. On the website: http://www.glop.org/starforce/ I found this:

"Starforce has received criticism for installing its own device driver onto computers. The Starforce drivers are often linked to system instability and computer crashes. If these problems occur, the end-user would be unware as to the cause of the problem, and would be helpless to solve the problem. One of the common problems brought by Starforce under Windows XP, if packets are lost during the reading or writing of a disk, XP interprets this as an error and steps the IDE speed down. Eventually it will revert to 16bit compatibility mode rendering a CD/DVD writer virtually unusable. In some circumstances certain drives cannot cope with this mode and it results in physical hardware failure (Most commonly in multiformat CD/DVD writer drives). A sure sign of this step down occurring is that the burn speeds will get slower and slower (no matter what speed you select to burn at). Starforce, on a regular basis, triggers this silent step down. Until it reaches the latter stages most people do not even realise it is happening."

So I hope that Linux being an entirely different OS may be suitable for me to play those games under Wine, Cedega etc. Since viruses and other similar things for Windows can not effect Linux. Also I hope my CD?DVD drives would remain safe for any damage. What are your views about this? Am I right? Please inform. Thanks a lot.:guitar:

Vitamin-Carrot
February 25th, 2008, 10:33 PM
isnt starforce the device drive r that appliation Alcohol 120% installs for its virtual devices?

I never heard a device driver completly destoying hardware, the most it should do is just not work untill you unistall it and reinstall the hardwares own driver.

@_@

general.rule
February 25th, 2008, 11:40 PM
isnt starforce the device drive r that appliation Alcohol 120% installs for its virtual devices?

I never heard a device driver completly destoying hardware, the most it should do is just not work untill you unistall it and reinstall the hardwares own driver.

@_@

Starforce is a notorious copy protection system which is used by some commercial game companies to stop piracy of their products. However, despite of this games containing Starforce are widely pirated. More the legitimate buyers suffer the most because of what I mentioned in the earlier post. The link to Starforce site is:
http://www.star-force.com/:mad:

bonzodog
February 26th, 2008, 12:00 AM
The point is that under linux, starforce cannot be used.
Instead, there is a very deliberate intention to crack it open completely, and circumvent it under wine, so it becomes ineffective if a game that "requires" it is used. I would not wish to say how they are going about this, but the words 'reverse engineering' have been thrown about - in the true lets-decompile-this-and-rip-the-code-out way.