PDA

View Full Version : Kernel Headers Headers Problem

daejavu
October 1st, 2005, 08:20 AM
hi .. im trying to install my new Graphic card .. a Radeon 9600. while installing its latest driver it says kernel-headers not installed .. i updated my apt repositories but it dosent show me any kernel headers for my kernel ..

i need kernel headers tobe installed so that i can install the graphic driver .. so please let me know a solution to this !

Ive tried apt-get install linux-kernel-headers $x.x.x.x.x and Synaptic ... both come back with no kernel headers .. my kernel ver no is 2.6.10.5-386

codejunkie
October 1st, 2005, 08:29 AM
hi .. im trying to install my new Graphic card .. a Radeon 9600. while installing its latest driver it says kernel-headers not installed .. i updated my apt repositories but it dosent show me any kernel headers for my kernel ..
i need kernel headers tobe installed so that i can install the graphic driver .. so please let me know a solution to this !
Ive tried apt-get install linux-kernel-headers $x.x.x.x.x and Synaptic ... both come back with no kernel headers .. my kernel ver no is 2.6.10.5-386

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-386
should install the kernel headers for the 386 kernel.

daejavu
October 1st, 2005, 08:57 AM
will this install all the headers needed by the ATI Graphic Driver ?

tseliot
October 1st, 2005, 09:04 AM
will this install all the headers needed by the ATI Graphic Driver ?
The only headers are the ones for your kernel version: e.g. if you use kernel 2.6.10 you will need headers 2.6.10. If you want to know your kernel version open Terminal or Konsole and type "uname -r".

There are no kernel headers for a graphic card, there are only kernel headers for your kernel image. I hope this makes things a bit clearer for you