PDA

View Full Version : Interesting interview with Bill Gates

smacattack
February 25th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I just saw this short bit on Bill Gates and 'the state of software' today as they say.
Here's a link to the video (or just go to www.cbc.ca at the top right, videos)

http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/8752/news/features/solomon-gates.wmv

altonbr
February 25th, 2008, 04:25 PM
cbc.ca? Nice! Hello fellow Canadian!

I agree: Any person I talk to who vaguely knows a bit about computers, hates Windows and suggests switching to a Mac. Of course, that's where I come in and advocate Ubuntu, but nonetheless, I don't know anyone under 25 that likes Windows.

Nonetheless, I will be getting into Computer Science and creating Linux/GPLed software throughout those years, if not after.

altonbr
February 25th, 2008, 04:30 PM
It'd be neat if I could wget this too. I want to archive it.

Personally, no such luck:

$ mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile gates.wmv mms://a1076.v8752f.c8752.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1076/8752/1203909230000/origin.media.cbc.ca/windows/news/features/solomon-gates.wmv
MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.1.3 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (Family: 15, Model: 4, Stepping: 3)
CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing mms://a1076.v8752f.c8752.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1076/8752/1203909230000/origin.media.cbc.ca/windows/news/features/solomon-gates.wmv.
STREAM_ASF, URL: mms://a1076.v8752f.c8752.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1076/8752/1203909230000/origin.media.cbc.ca/windows/news/features/solomon-gates.wmv
Resolving a1076.v8752f.c8752.g.vm.akamaistream.net for AF_INET6...
Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: a1076.v8752f.c8752.g.vm.akamaistream.net
Resolving a1076.v8752f.c8752.g.vm.akamaistream.net for AF_INET...
Connecting to server a1076.v8752f.c8752.g.vm.akamaistream.net[72.246.30.201]: 1755...
Connected
unknown object
file object, packet length = 1444 (1444)
unknown object
unknown object
unknown object
stream object, stream ID: 1
stream object, stream ID: 2
unknown object
data object
mmst packet_length = 1444
Cache size set to 64 KBytes
Stream not seekable!

EDIT::
Sorry to spam this thread, but you can download it via VLC Media Player > Open Network Stream and select 'Settings' beside Select/Save. Then enter this URL: mms://a1076.v8752f.c8752.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1076/8752/1203909230000/origin.media.cbc.ca/windows/news/features/solomon-gates.wmv and edit any of the options to your liking.

toupeiro
February 25th, 2008, 05:56 PM
When I think of the last "Technology boom" I think of the .com era, which even if there is bubble burstage on this next boom (and the nature of economics will tell you, of course, there will be some of that) I don't predict it will be as severe as the first.

The cost of hardware is much stabilized. You can build solid, robust infrastructure on fractions of what it cost in the early - mid 90's. The former justification of the multi-hundred thousand dollar SGI box no longer needs to happen. Its going to be about software this time around as the primary driver, and with all the battle of standards we are having. Of course Microsoft is sweating bullets about the job markets. Make no mistake though, when Bill says "The state of the economy doesn't influence me, but we want the US and Canada to be leaders in the world in Computer Sciences", If we are not, they will continue their extremely high rates of outsourcing and building outside of the US and Canada. He might contribute himself to very worthwhile work around the world, but despite what seems to be good intentions by going to various universities, he will outsource your job to a cheaper foreign (in this case, from the US) resource regardless of how much technical people our countries have. Anyone in IT in the US who was looking for work in the early 2000's knows how it felt. When one company in Maryland puts out a Network Administrator job at a national recruiting service like dice.com and gets over 20,000 in the first 2-3 days from people who have had their jobs outsourced, you know it has nothing to do with skilled workers. It has to do with our wage to live in the US versus someones elses wage to live half way across the world. There are plenty of experienced people in the Western World, thats not the source of the problem.

People don't want to come into IT, because industry that is not driven primarily by IT sees IT as the first most expendable service when its time to tighten the purse strings in the US. An for this reason, its one of the most instable careers for some people to consider. If you want to restock the western world with new IT people in the future, maybe companies should think twice before dropping their axes on us so quickly.

My .02

Mr. Picklesworth
February 25th, 2008, 06:39 PM
The Sunday night news actually did something interesting?! There's a first :)

Anyway, I think a recession could be the perfect chance for versatile robots to start doing our every bidding; a complete rethinking of what labour is, just when the same inconvenience is already being suffered. (Thus alleviating the impact, time-wise). Maybe I'm just crazy.

Bannor
February 25th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Sorry can't look at link. Someone was claiming that apple was somehow a better system then windows and I have to strongly disaggree. Windows xp runs on just about every computer allows you access to millions of programs. Upgrades along with your system.

I rutinely pull parts from different old computers around the house, upgrade what I need to and windows xp, and it works. Try that with and apple. Oh never mind you can't. you can keep your "wavy windows" and time machine and all the other apple idiot proofing cause honestly all that does is pull valuble resources from wichever program I want to run.

Linux being free, I over look the fact that some things just don't work.

I am amazed at all the people that vilefy Gates and admire Jobs. When IBM released the pc they were planning an apple kind of propriety OS. Gates is the guy that saw that light and made software transferable. Is vista buggy ya, Leopard had a lot of flaws when it cames out. The difference apple has maybe 20 different HW configurations that their os needs to work with. Vista has to work with everything else.

Polygon
February 25th, 2008, 09:30 PM
except xp doesnt work with anything else

it doesnt have drivers for my sound card, video card, motherboard chipset, onboard audio, my ide-to-pci converter (forget the technical name), network card. the reason apple's hardware is closed is so that they can have a set-in-stone list of what hardware macs use, and therefore the drivers and everything will ALWAYS work. Not always the case in linux and windows. And even out of those two, only one tries to work with everything else. Microsoft just relies on all the hardware manufacturers to provide them with drivers, which is why you need to spend hours install drivers and restarting your computer to install windows.

for backups, i really wish linux had something alone the lines of timemachine. Rsync is close, but still timemachine is still pretty useful if you think about it.

and i cant view the video, it keeps saving it as a 182 byte file?

bobbybobington
February 25th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Very interesting indeed, but I don't see most searches being voice in five years. Touch interface will be pretty widespread imo

samwyse
February 26th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I don't care what he has to say unless he's started to promote free software.

SupaSonic
February 26th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Man, he was dull. Uh.

k2t0f12d
February 26th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Is he not shrinking into a Sith Lord? A Sith Lord with the voice of Kermit the Frog? :rolleyes:

SupaSonic
February 26th, 2008, 10:35 AM
He will reorganize the Republic into the first Galactic Empire.

sanderella
February 26th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I didn't think it was interesting - really boring. And isn't he looking old?

Cloudy
February 26th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I didn't think it was interesting - really boring. And isn't he looking old?

Yeah -- while I was watching it I kept thinking he was older than he is. He's only 52, but he looks a bit older than that.

k2t0f12d
February 27th, 2008, 10:27 AM
He will reorganize the Republic into the first Galactic Empire.

The first Galactic Empire of Muppets.