PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu

matherians2
February 25th, 2008, 04:05 PM
When and why did you use Ubuntu?

Crooksey
February 25th, 2008, 06:58 PM
This has been asked hundreds of times before, dont be suprised if it gets moved / locked / deleted.

justin whitaker
February 25th, 2008, 07:00 PM
This has been asked hundreds of times before, dont be suprised if it gets moved / locked / deleted.

It will get moved, but probably should be locked or merged with one of the other 1000 of these threads.

The search function is your friend boys. :)

Mad_Dawg
February 25th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Well, at least I will get a bean before it is moved. Started with Kubuntu because i got sick of viruses.

Duck2006
February 25th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Well, at least I will get a bean before it is moved. Started with Kubuntu because i got sick of viruses.

Thats one way of looking at it LOL.

aysiu
February 25th, 2008, 08:36 PM
It will get moved, but probably should be locked or merged with one of the other 1000 of these threads.

The search function is your friend boys. :)

This has been asked hundreds of times before, dont be suprised if it gets moved / locked / deleted. I moved it to Community Cafe. It may get moved to Recurring Discussions by another moderator if my move doesn't seem "strong" enough.

PeterJS
February 25th, 2008, 08:38 PM
When and why did you use Ubuntu?

I started my Linux odyssey with gentoo, which is an interesting introduction to say the least, I ran that for about 18 months, it was pretty good to me, not the best in retrospect, but I got to feel cool because I was better than those debian kids, I compiled my own packages, optimized no less :guitar:

That went well until I got lax with the updates and let the box slide for 6 months, this made portage quite unhappy, some of the java packages just wouldn't build, so I had to hand tune every update to exclude the java packages I knew would fail, and it was all down hill from there. After about six more months of this, and more laxity with upgrades (because they were a pain), portage decided it had had enough of my garbage, and ate itself. Still not sure what went wrong, portage itself failed to build and I was dead in the water.

About this time Dapper came out, I swallowed my pride, told the debian guys in the local lug, you told me so, and haven't looked back since. Seeing apt-get run for the first time was magical, I had new packages right now!

Northsider
February 26th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Well I used XP like many others. I was into warez, but the support just wasn't there and it was risky. I then got into open source and anti-MS stuff, which led me here.

aimran
February 26th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Used SUSE and got frustrated at the learning curve, although I liked the KDE implementation. Couldn't go back to XP as I lost the recovery CDs so I tried Ubuntu, and have never looked back :)