PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop for Adobe Air

Tom Mann
February 25th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Does this mean we'll finally have Photoshop?!?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7254436.stm

Polygon
February 25th, 2008, 02:42 PM
interestering.....i guess that means we will get photoshop.

handy
February 25th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I wonder about the connections between this & Google financing Codeweavers' implementation of desktop CS3? If there are any at all...

forrestcupp
February 25th, 2008, 03:14 PM
There is already a huge thread about this where everyone argued about whether this is good or not.

The thread is right here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=701988).

p_quarles
February 25th, 2008, 03:17 PM
There is already a huge thread about this where everyone argued about whether this is good or not.

The thread is right here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=701988).
And I, for one, will not merge those threads. Instead, I will be bizarrely optimistic and expect this thread not to go nearly as far off-topic as the other did.

bobbybobington
February 25th, 2008, 03:50 PM
The rise of web apps means the desktop os is more and more irrelevant. This definately works to linux's advantage. Plus IIRC gnome is working on making itself more web centric.

LTG1
February 25th, 2008, 04:28 PM
The problem is still years away for a lot of apps including photoshop.

Yes they have something now that provides some functionality but to get the the point where most people don't care if it's desktop or web is going to take more time, more bandwidth, more platform evolution.

Moreover I don't even really like the concept of AIR, it's a proprietary version of the web, like windows inside a browser.

handy
February 26th, 2008, 03:26 AM
The problem is still years away for a lot of apps including photoshop.

Yes they have something now that provides some functionality but to get the the point where most people don't care if it's desktop or web is going to take more time, more bandwidth, more platform evolution.

Moreover I don't even really like the concept of AIR, it's a proprietary version of the web, like windows inside a browser.

Yes, I don't really like the look of it either, I can see Adobe attempting to outwit Google, MS & Apple. The internet is already so polluted due to the efforts of the marketroids as it is.

The likes of Firefox are cross platform, Google works with any browser on any OS, it looks like MS, Apple & the likes of Adobe are all working very hard to have as much control over how the internet can function for their shareholders benefit. They can all see that the limitations imposed by various OS's can be overcome, & they want to be the one's in control. The battle is moving from the desktop to the ether's.

scastle
February 26th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Still, this is a move in the right direction.

-Steve

handy
February 27th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Still, this is a move in the right direction.

-Steve

Why?

I would think it only looks good to shortsighted (no offense intended) PS users.

shad0w_walker
February 27th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Depending on what happens it could be a very nice move in the right direction.

IF we get photoshop on Linux and Adobe is keeping track of numbers they might see the real demand for it and create a proper port of it (In an ideal world) and we will have proper photoshop with out the middle man (Air)

However they could just be Adobe and spend forever not doing anything *cough*Flash*cough* and then by the time they release a native version of CS3 they will be on CS27

k2t0f12d
February 27th, 2008, 04:34 AM

It probably shouldn't be merged because this isn't even the same topic as the other thread. The other thread was about third parties paying to improve Windows binary compatibility in order to run Photoshop on GNU/Linux through WINE. This is a platform independent implementation which includes GNU/Linux. I'm much more positive on this benefiting users of Adobe's software and GNU/Linux then Google's attempts to ram it through with WINE development. It has the unignorable advantage of being developed and supported by the actual developer of the desired software.

handy
February 27th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Depending on what happens it could be a very nice move in the right direction.

IF we get photoshop on Linux and Adobe is keeping track of numbers they might see the real demand for it and create a proper port of it (In an ideal world) and we will have proper photoshop with out the middle man (Air)

However they could just be Adobe and spend forever not doing anything *cough*Flash*cough* and then by the time they release a native version of CS3 they will be on CS27

If we get Photoshop on Linux!

Do you understand what Adobe is attempting to do?

The operating system has been taken out of the game.

It becomes Adobe owning as much of the internet space as they can possibly fill up.

Competing with MS doing exactly the same thing, as Apple are already doing too.