PDA

View Full Version : Pocket PC - What do you have / What OS does it run?

mkoehler
February 25th, 2008, 05:42 AM
In the spirit of the mp3 player thread, I decided to create a thread regarding Pocket PCs. Just post what type of pocket pc (if any) that you have and what operating system it runs below.

Personally, I have a ~4 year old HP iPaq hx4700 that I put familiar linux on. However, I've been debugging wireless problems endlessly, so it doesn't work flawlessly yet.

phynix
February 25th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I have an old H2200 and have been trying to put familiar on it but can't find any of the files. It just runs windows 2003.

klange
February 25th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Every so often I'll boot my Angstrom (GPE) distro from an SD card, but as my iPaq rx3715 isn't well supported by the project and I only have WiFi working (and not bluetooth, or even sound for that matter), when doing most work I hard reset and restore a backup and just uses Winblows Mobile.

There are also a lot of problems with various mobile apps for Linux, one is that there are surprisingly few. You'd think with the Linux dominance over mobile phones there would be quite a few more open source projects, but they're a dying breed. And though is enough RAM and CPU power to squeeze out certain desktop apps (GIMP, Abiword, etc), they're extremely buggy on ARM processors. (ie, though I have GIMP I can't draw with it because the scripting tools are damaged and everytime I go to draw it seg faults)

If I could get audio working, I'd probably mess with MPlayer, but I doubt that will happen. I can't even get the newest kernel to run (it just refuses to boot).

One of these days I'll get myself a Freerunner and I will be able to live happily with a truly open source PDA... Ahh what a good day that will be...

[/rant]

Bungo Pony
February 25th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I've got an old Palm m130. (Palm 4.1 I think). Better than a cell phone because it doesn't ring!

phynix
February 27th, 2008, 07:16 AM
The lack of open source on my pocket pc is making me want to buy a nokia n800

ramjet_1953
February 27th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I have a Sharp Zaurus
It runs Linux

pondochris
February 28th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I have a blackberry 8310 curve which runs a symbian OS that I wouldn't even think about hacking, it's perfect as it is.
I've got a moto Q9h too, this one is made to run linux but I just glare at it from time to time, longing to see it be open to no avail. I am hoping to re-flash the Q9 with openmoko or android here pretty soon. WM6 is makin me angry.

The lack of open source on my pocket pc is making me want to buy a nokia n800
+1

Windows Mobile makes me :cry::(:confused::mad:

phynix
February 29th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Everytime I read this I bring up the nokia website and just stare. Although I am all linux, windows mobile doesn't bother me that much cause it works, but I still want to be able to install what I want and change anything that tickles my fancy.

cheesegrater
February 29th, 2008, 03:22 AM
HTC apache (a.k.a. xv6700, a.k.a. ppc6700 yadda yadda yadda.) running wm6. don't mind winmobile. it's not hard to tweak, and there are a lot of real good free apps out there that make it less like windows and more like somehting usable.

phynix
February 29th, 2008, 04:41 AM
For all those running 2003 and anything else I think . This cool site give you a new ui. Very cool http://pointui.com/

April 10th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Hi all,

I have an iPAQ h2200, running WM2003.

Successfully run Familiar Linux 0.8.4, (tried both GPE & Opie).

Also tried out the Angstrom Distribution recently (both GPE,Opie).

Wish to run something else like Ubuntu's Mobile Embedded, Openmoko, or ***Android with Angstrom distribution kernel.

Due to the unsupport of linux kernel of h2200 by Angstrom to h2200 at this moment, unable to test out Android.

Actually why I still goes back to WM2003, is because none of above alternative OS gives me a stable daily use.

by Avatar Ng
http://avatar21.superihost.com/

blithen
April 10th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I really want to run linux on my Ipaq rx1950 but it's a no go.
So as of now I'm running 2005 windows mobile. :/

bobbybobington
April 10th, 2008, 10:19 PM
nokia n800 running os2008

bemular
October 14th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I have this old O2 Xda II mini (aka HTC Magician (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Magician)) that runs on Windows Mobile 2003 SE. Is it possible to have Ubuntu or some other decent OS in it? I've bumped into the Ubuntu MID Edition (http://www.ubuntu.com/products/mobile) site awhile ago and was wondering if anyone was using it too.

handy
October 14th, 2008, 12:57 PM
A friend who's websit I used to maintain gave me his O2 xdaII, which runs windows CE. I played with it for a while & gave it to my wife, as I have no use for a mobile phone, & the whole thing was pretty useful to her.

I have a GP2-X, which runs a Linux kernel based OS. It is a cool thing, which I don't use anymore, I bought it out of curiosity more than anything else.

If anyone is interested in it, pm me with an offer? :)

igknighted
October 14th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I've got an iPod touch, that's essentially a PocketPC/PDA. In fact that was the whole reason I bought it... wireless internet and my calender with me too. It's so hard to find a PDA anymore that isn't a phone as well, and I had no need for a phone. Anyhow, the touch runs a modified version of OSX, and works well enough for me.

GOVATENT
October 14th, 2008, 02:07 PM
My cellphone (O2 XDA Stealth) is running Windows Mobile 6.1.

My PDA (HP iPaq H5550) is running Familiar Liunx. But it is not stable and from time to time revert to windows mobile.

wersdaluv
October 14th, 2008, 03:54 PM
O2 XDA II and O2 XDA II Mini. Both are running Windows Mobile 2003.

unoodles
October 14th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I have an ipaq h1900, running Windows Mobile, (I don't know what version, but its trash.)
If anyone can get me any info about getting *anything* besides Windows on it, please tell me.
The only page I could find was this horribly outdated, obsolete page. http://www.handhelds.org/projects/h1900.html

handy
October 14th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I've got an iPod touch, that's essentially a PocketPC/PDA. In fact that was the whole reason I bought it... wireless internet and my calender with me too. It's so hard to find a PDA anymore that isn't a phone as well, and I had no need for a phone. Anyhow, the touch runs a modified version of OSX, and works well enough for me.

+1

I forgot about the iPod Touch! :lolflag:

That is what I use these days also, having no use for a phone & also owning a Mac. It carries my contacts, & some audio books, never any music, & never used on the internet.

Funny how we change over the decades. :-)

Arabiest
October 17th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I have HTC P3600 (TRINITY) with Windows Mobile 6.1 (Kamba_a V11.0) downloaded from http://ce4arab.com.

With the great help from this forum good friends, I was able to activesync my mobile with my UBUNTU Hardy 8.04 in accessing Internet. Yet to be able to sync my mobile data (contacts and messages). If you know HOW, please advise.

Corfy
October 18th, 2008, 02:40 AM
I have a Palm Treo 755p. It syncs nicely with Evolution.

Before that, I had a Palm Tungsten E2.

treesurf
October 18th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Another Palm OS user here. Palm Treo 650. Syncs perfectly with Evolution and has tons of great free apps available.

igknighted
October 18th, 2008, 06:55 AM
So, I went to upgrade my phone today, and had every intent of getting a standard phone with nothing extra... until I realized that for $30 more I could have a Motorola Q9c. So now I have Windows Mobile 6, and first impressions have been very good so far.