PDA

View Full Version : Please advise

Rucas
February 24th, 2008, 09:18 PM
So im loving Ubuntu soo much that im absolutelly Win Free in my house!!!
Got a small LAN with 2 Ubuntu based Machines and a Macbook.
Now i live in the North of Sweden and me and a friend are looking into creating a small bussiness within Ubuntu.
What i mean is we dont plan to charge people for Ubuntu, but simply for Tech help with Ubuntu, Install, Server, you now general IT, but only for Ubuntu (also supporting if a small bussiness needs to also implement Win MAchines within a possible network)
We plan to address, business (small scale to start with) and private markets, and convert them into Ubuntu (well convert is a strong word, but offer a new alternative to their existing Win Setups.)
Now for my questions:

Does one need any auctorization from Canonical or such in order to do so?
Is it legal to distribute FREELY (has i mentioned we dont plan to charge for installing Ubuntu, after all its already free, lol...) Ubuntu to private as well as Businness identities?

What else what i need to know? Any Legal links or Docs one can find?
Many thanks in adavnce.

DoctorMO
February 24th, 2008, 09:56 PM
You don't have to ask canonical to start a business in ubuntu. but you do have to ask them if you use ubuntu in your business name. (as a trademark thing)

If you just refer to ubuntu as that which you support then you don't need to ask since it's legal use of trademarks.

Rucas
February 24th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Many thanks for the reply.

Bruce M.
February 24th, 2008, 10:29 PM
And Good Luck too!