PDA

View Full Version : what's all the fuss

steven22
September 27th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Hi,I have been trying to install ubuntu 5.04 with out any luck untill today.But now i have it up and running i cant understand what all the hipe is about.I had it installed for about 1 hour and tryed to change the desktop background and a number of other things but had no luck.I run xp at the moment but would perfer windows 95 to ubuntu.Can not see what all you guys see in ubuntu it's CRAP and if you dont beleave me just keep reading all these threads with all the problems that come with ubuntu.I know windows has it's downfall but come on is ubuntu realy what it is cracked up to be?.

KingBahamut
September 27th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Most of what I see in your posts Steven reference Monitor Issues and Login Issues. I dont see anything about Background changes , or the number of other things that went wrong for you.

If you ask us the proper questions, we can give you the proper answers, most times. Im sorry your experience was undesireable.

karuptdata
September 27th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Hi,I have been trying to install ubuntu 5.04 with out any luck untill today.But now i have it up and running i cant understand what all the hipe is about.I had it installed for about 1 hour and tryed to change the desktop background and a number of other things but had no luck.I run xp at the moment but would perfer windows 95 to ubuntu.Can not see what all you guys see in ubuntu it's CRAP and if you dont beleave me just keep reading all these threads with all the problems that come with ubuntu.I know windows has it's downfall but come on is ubuntu realy what it is cracked up to be?.

Wow my friend it seems as if you have alot of complaining to do..as everyone knows every distro isnt gonna fit your needs..this is why the moderators of this site advise all potential users to read up on Ubuntu before installing it....I have had minor troubles but nothing major..Lets face it the support here is more than you will ever recieve from M$ without a cost..with that said im sorry ubuntu didnt work out for you.....Good Luck

Ampersand
September 27th, 2005, 08:58 PM
As is said in most of these threads, if we didn't like Ubuntu, we'd not use it. Some people are used to Windows, and want everything to work in the same way as that. Other people don't mind having to do something different, and in some cases more difficult, and they use whatever they want. I personally don't see what the difficulty in changing background in Gnome, given that it's almost identical to the procedure in Windows...

mrtaber
September 27th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Obviously you've never spent time on any other support groups for Microsoft, Apple, or any other major Linux distributions. You'll be amazed the the number of problems in all those environments. Alas, the Second Law of Thermodynamics, and Murphy's Law, are in full swing all over the known world.

Mark :)

Mr. Electric Wizard
September 27th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Buh, buh, and don't let tha door hit ya on the ass on the way out...

aysiu
September 27th, 2005, 09:09 PM
So because you had trouble changing the background, you assume that everyone who's ever used Ubuntu also has trouble changing the background? How self-centered can you get?

Not every user has the same experience as you. Get over yourself.

For more on the subject, read this post I just wrote about you and your mentality (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=373874&postcount=4)

if you dont beleave me just keep reading all these threads with all the problems that come with ubuntu. Flawed logic if I've ever seen it. Go to any support forum for any OS or piece of software, and you'll see the majority of posts are complaints or problems--just as you won't see anyone praising airline efficiency at the baggage claim counter.

If I don't have a problem, it's not like I post a new thread saying, "Hey, guys, I can change my background wallpaper!" The responses would likely be "whoop-de-do" or "welcome to basic user competency."

Also, keep in mind that most new Linux users have absolutely zero experience with Linux, so when they have problems it may have more to do with the fact that they don't know what they're doing than a flaw in the OS's design (I know I've screwed up Linux more than once because I picked the wrong option or did something I wasn't supposed to).

P.S. I also wrote about you in the first link in my signature. Here's the relevant section (about people who shouldn't be using Linux): You think the Windows way of doing things is the best way and is always the best way. You don't really want to migrate to Linux. You just want to make a feigned attempt at installing it and using it so that you can complain about how it's not "ready for the desktop" when you encounter a single problem.

Perfect Storm
September 27th, 2005, 09:13 PM
*Got a bad feeling that this tread will become a flame-feast*

Instead of throwing a flame-bait out, why didn't you ask in the forums how to do this and that?
It sounds more like you have made up your mind, before getting into ubuntu or linux.

Changing background: Go to System tab ---> Preferences ---> Desktop background.
To Add wallpaper into the Desktop background selector press add and browse to the folder where you got the wallpaper(s)

Mr. Electric Wizard
September 27th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Because that is not the Troll way!

Kvark
September 27th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Do you remember the very first time you ever saw Windows? Was you all comfortable around it and fully understood all it's perks after 1 hour?

I had to do a good amount of reading and exploring before I could understand Ubuntu well enough to use it. But it was nowhere near as confusing as back when I learned how to use Windows.

sapo
September 27th, 2005, 09:30 PM
As we say here in brazil.. thats a BIOS problem..

Bicho Ignorante Operando Sistema.

i m not gonna translate it :P

jdong
September 27th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Bicho [b]

That doesn't sound too nice....

Now:

(1) Steven, please be fair to the distribution -- your problems aren't representative of the distributions. If I wanted, I can pull out a couple PC's that XP setup fails to boot on due to non-standards compliance, and conclude that XP is a non-functional CD good as a coaster.

(2) Everyone else, be fair to Steven. Don't attack him too much.

KingBahamut
September 27th, 2005, 09:34 PM
I moved this thread into Community(From Installation Help), because of this reason. Its obviously going to take a bad turn. Lets try to be fair here.

tageiru
September 27th, 2005, 09:38 PM
it's CRAP
That must be why it has gotten rave reviews, even Paul Thurrott (the guy that runs winsupersite) was impressed.

aysiu
September 27th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Its obviously going to take a bad turn. Lets try to be fair here. I think we are being fair. I don't go to a Harley convention and scream that motorcycles are crap. If I did, do you think they'd be "fair" to me there?

GeneralZod
September 27th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Steven is me two years ago, when I first tried Mandrake 10 after having several people tell me how stupendously great Linux was. This is why I really dislike people who over-hype Linux or create false impressions of it: the (inevitable) ensuing disappointment turns into real genuine anger and can put people off for good.

Thankfully, pretty much every member on this board has an incredibly moderate stance towards Ubuntu and is not blind to its flaws which I think is great :) It's just a shame that the vocal minority of zealots (again, not talking about anyone on these boards) spoil things for those of us who really love F/OSS software, and those who might have done if they had not had their expectations build up to unrealistic levels.

Edit:

I think we are being fair. I don't go to a Harley convention and scream that motorcycles are crap. If I did, do you think they'd be "fair" to me there?

I have some sympathy for the guy, as you can probably tell by my post. My guess is that he is feeling hugely let down due to the hype right now, and is lashing out, just as I did two years ago. I expect he'll feel bad about it later.

PatrickMay16
September 27th, 2005, 09:44 PM

Ubuntu is CRAP? No, I don't believe you. I use it myself, and it works good for me.
You had it installed for one hour? One hour. That's nothing at all. It took me a few days until I had Ubuntu working in a way I liked it. You need to be prepared to put some work into learning or getting things working if you're going to try another operating system. Else, you should stick to what you know.

KingBahamut
September 27th, 2005, 09:45 PM
No, and you well know Aysiu that Id be more than "unfair" if I had it in me. Just trying to keep a level head here, thats all.

tseliot
September 27th, 2005, 09:46 PM
I've just read your posts. Can you post your hardware specifications? Perhaps some peripheral (or the motherboard) is not supported by Linux (kernel).

P.S. BTW Windows '95 screwed my dial-up internet connection almost every two months and a new reinstallation was required. Please, don't even joke about Win95.

aysiu
September 27th, 2005, 09:49 PM
This is why I really dislike people who over-hype Linux or create false impressions of it: the (inevitable) ensuing disappointment turns into real genuine anger and can put people off for good. Which is why I wrote the Is Ubuntu for you? (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=63315) thread, to try to counteract the overhyping and idealization of Linux by zealots.

I have some sympathy for the guy, as you can probably tell by my post. My guess is that he is feeling hugely let down due to the hype right now, and is lashing out, just as I did two years ago. I expect he'll feel bd about it later. I don't feel sympathy. Calling something hype and crap after you tried it out for one hour doesn't elicit sympathy from me. A much more sympathy-deserving post would have been something like this:

Maybe I was given the wrong impression, but all I've been reading about gave me the idea that Ubuntu is the next best thing to sliced bread. I haven't been able to get some things functioning on it, and I'm a bit confused. Here's a list of what's not working [and then the actual list]... can anyone help me with these problems? Am I the only one experiencing this problems? If not, why am I experiencing them? If so, why do people keep giving this impression that Ubuntu is all that?

karuptdata
September 27th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Perhaps we all have to understand his frustraton, however that doesnt excuse trashin a distro..I mean it takes some real guts to walk in a distros "front porch" and call it crap all he had to do was ask a few questions and in no time literally he would have found a solution!

Emerzen
September 27th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Steven22, it seems like you have a habit of flaming Ubuntu/Linux because of your problems, as in this thread http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=69384&highlight=steven22 w/o asking any actual question...which makes me a bit circumspect about your intentions. Giving you the benefit of the doubt: what have you done, and what error messages did you receive, etc?

-My experience w/ Windows from 95 up, and this is my experience and not meant to be a generalization, is that is sucks, it gets very slow, and it's dangerous.

Knome_fan
September 27th, 2005, 10:01 PM
I mean it takes some real guts to walk in a distros "front porch" and call it crap

Nope, that's the beauty of the web, it doesn't take any guts at all to make provocative posts anonymously that's why there are so many trolls around.

And btw., looking at this post I'm sure little Steven is nothing but a troll and I can't for the life of me figure out why the mods don't simply close threads like this.
But that's their decision, so I will simply try to ignore little Steven and others like him.

Kyral
September 27th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Must......not....flame....must.....uphold....the.. ..Code....of.....Conduct...I....am...an...Ubuntite ...

Ah! Thats better.

Anyway, I could go onto a major flamefest about Windows. Like how today when working in the lab on the Windows machines, I download an ISO image to the desktop, and the it downloads it to a tmp only to have to copy it to the location I told it to download to in the first place. What is up with that?!

Learning Linux is just like learning anything else (Calculus anyone?). First you know jack-squat about it, then you gradually learn more and become proficient. If you can't accept that then stay with Windows :P

Perfect Storm
September 27th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Must......not....flame....must.....uphold....the.. ..Code....of.....Conduct...I....am...an...Ubuntite ...

The force is strong within you, Anakin..umm I mean Kyral. ;)

earobinson
September 27th, 2005, 10:18 PM
The backround thing is a bug a simple update will fix this.

godzero
September 27th, 2005, 10:22 PM
It sounds simply like his monitor wasn't syncing at the freq his video card was putting out, the someone told him to edit xorg.confg, which fubarred X. simply (ctrl minus) to drop resolution probably would have fixed it. Not uncommon under X or windows. My monitor/video card combo requires tweeking under x and ms windows.

darkmatter
September 27th, 2005, 10:25 PM

WOW...

You wouldn't happen to be a financial contributor to Mr. Ballmer's FUD campain now, would you?

Seriously though. If Ubuntu is so 'crappy' on your box, why not just use another distro instead of complaining.

Lets try to keep the Anti-MS Sentiment out of this post....KB

mstlyevil
September 27th, 2005, 10:57 PM

I will be nice. Only one word comes to mind when reading this post. Troll.

poofyhairguy
September 27th, 2005, 10:58 PM
But now i have it up and running i cant understand what all the hipe is about.

If you are going to rant on here please make it a decent rant. Then maybe we can help. These sorts of posts help no one. Why even bother to post here?

I'll leave this open just in case steven actually answers.

darkmatter
September 27th, 2005, 11:00 PM
To explain my last post, that wasn't supposed to be anti-MS. (winking smilie was left out by accident)

Sorry for any misunderstanding, or any unintended offence to the OP.

PatrickMay16
September 27th, 2005, 11:12 PM
I mean it takes some real guts to walk in a distros "front porch" and call it crap
It takes real guts to walk into a distro's front porch and call it crap, then stick around to defend your claims and give further explanation on why you feel that way.
It takes any old coward to come to a distro's front porch, shout a few insults, then run off and not look back. This is the kind of Johnny-fly-by-night-job that's going on here with this steven22.

I can sort of understand what's going through his mind in this situation, though. I've been guilty of the same thing before... You get frustrated and angry, then vent your anger, then realise what you've done and run away in terror from the angry mob who is chasing after you. I'm sure others of us have been in similar situations.

Takis
September 27th, 2005, 11:17 PM
I've been guilty of the same thing before... You get frustrated and angry, then vent your anger, then realise what you've done and run away in terror from the angry mob who is chasing after you.
That's not particularly fair. Since Ubuntu's free and the support on these forums is entirely voluntary, calling Ubuntu crap and implying that we're in denial by not recognising the number of posts for tech support, under the veil of venting anger, is like kicking a puppy.

darkmatter
September 27th, 2005, 11:17 PM
I've been guilty of the same thing before... You get frustrated and angry, then vent your anger, then realise what you've done and run away in terror from the angry mob who is chasing after you.

Ahh...my young Grasshopper. Meditation is the key.

John.Michael.Kane
September 27th, 2005, 11:29 PM
If your still looking to run ubuntu please feelfree to post system spec's and all problems. that affected said system. gnu/linux/ubuntu is not crap.. the OS as a whole takes time to get use to, as it is not all click and go. you will have to use the comand line at some time. most issues have been talked about here and have answer's. there's no need to run from linux each distro has it's own issues you will be hard pressed to fine a distro that is fully bug free... again post your problems and issues, if you still wish to try to get ubuntu working..

Leif
September 27th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Ahh, every once in a while someone comes along and pisses off the community so badly, and so indefensibly, that it turns into a no-holds-barred slugfest. <homer> Mmmmm... therapeutic..... </homer>

Being exasparated with ubuntu is one thing (I'm sure many of us have been there at some point or another), calling it crap on the forums is another.

Stormy Eyes
September 28th, 2005, 01:17 AM
Can not see what all you guys see in ubuntu it's CRAP and if you dont beleave me just keep reading all these threads with all the problems that come with ubuntu.

The fact that I only use Windows because I am paid to do so ought to tell you something. Perhaps if you asked questions and supplied details you might have gotten help. Instead, you just puttered about, got frustrated, and have decided to vent your frustration here. If you're happier with Windows, then so be it. I have no sympathy for people like you.

xequence
September 28th, 2005, 01:29 AM
Can not see what all you guys see in ubuntu it's CRAP and if you dont beleave me just keep reading all these threads with all the problems that come with ubuntu

Why must we get the people like this!?!?! Its ok if you dont like ubuntu. Its ok if you like windows. Just dont go on ubuntu forums saying its crap. We dont go on windows forums saying its crap, do we?

It might not work for you, thats fine, use another OS. I have different hardware and it works for me. You cant expect any OS to work on all hardware, except OSX on apple hardware and solaris on sun hardware.

Do you want to know a problem I have with XP? Most times I try to start it up, it just restarts right before getting to the desktop. Its just random if I get through or not, once it took 22 times and I still didnt get through, so I gave up and used ubuntu. Sometimes it only takes 3 trys... Yesterday it took 10 tries, over 15 minutes, and I just gave up. It flashes test really fast on the screen, not enough time to read more then a word each time. I think I read "physical memory leak" once or twice.

Thats just the way things are. Whatever works for you, you use it.

And of course some things in ubuntu annoy me, but an OS wont ever be perfect.

primeirocrime
September 28th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Because that is not the Troll way!

indeed. I love Tago Mago too!

Mr. Electric Wizard
September 28th, 2005, 02:06 PM
indeed. I love Tago Mago too!

Oh Yeah, HALLELEWAH!!!
;-)

KingBahamut
September 28th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Oh Yeah, HALLELEWAH!!!
;-)
Am I to understand there are actually other fans of Can that just me?

Well then...it seems that 30 dollars I dropped down on their Peel Sessions CD would have been bought by someone other than me =).

Next thing youll tell me is that you like Mike Oldfield......Im a huge fan of his work as well.

Kyral
September 28th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Can I reccommend this topic be locked? Yanno, before the poor guy gets flamed to /dev/null and back?

graabein
September 28th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Mr. Electric Wizard... CAN!?! Tago Mago etc is plain flat out fantastic!

btw, am I wrong is Electric Wizard Marc Bolan & T.Rex related?

KingBahamut
September 28th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Closed......after a lengthy discussion, this thread has become completely unproductive. Productive discussions are encouraged, but please try and avoid these dead ends.

steven22
September 30th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Hi,Just a follow up on that last thread i sent about what's all the fuss,Well it looks like i upset a lot of you folks out there by calling the ubuntu os [crap].Well maybe i should not of used that harsh word.sorry to all the people out there who i upset by say that.It took me around 2 months to get it running and yes i did send out threads for support and you guys were kind anothe to help but i just keep't running into a brick wall.So sorry guys.

poofyhairguy
September 30th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Hi,Just a follow up on that last thread i sent about what's all the fuss,Well it looks like i upset a lot of you folks out there by calling the ubuntu os [crap].Well maybe i should not of used that harsh word.sorry to all the people out there who i upset by say that.It took me around 2 months to get it running and yes i did send out threads for support and you guys were kind anothe to help but i just keep't running into a brick wall.So sorry guys.

Thanks for the apology. I wish you better luck in the future.

darkmatter
September 30th, 2005, 10:39 PM
No problem steven22, some people are just overly attached to their chosen distro(s).

No offence taken. We've all gone through the 'brick wall' stage before.

Best of luck