PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use a non-Google Search engine???

kooolrock
February 24th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Does anyone use a non-Google Search engine??? I got this doubt. Yahoo, msn live, etc., exist. So does anyone use them at all? If yes, is there any need to use them, at all???

LaRoza
February 24th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Google "best search engine" :)

I liked Live because it puts my sites on the first page, unlike google. (But I like google for actual searching)

MONODA
February 24th, 2008, 05:28 PM
i dont think so... google is probably the best, Live isnt nearly as good as google

LaRoza
February 24th, 2008, 05:38 PM
i dont think so... google is probably the best, Live isnt nearly as good as google

But it puts my sites first. I don't use it though.

As for the reason why there are so many, many are better at certain things.

popch
February 24th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I don't know which one is the best. I use Google out of convenience, and because it is the default site for the Firefox browser.

For some special projects I combined the results of a number of different search sites. That can come in handy because they sorts results differently on account of the different rankings they employ.

There are some client side programs which do just that. You put in your search, and they submit it to different sites and collate the results. It has been a while since I did that, and I can not recall the names of the products I used.

hyperair
February 24th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I use Google because it loads up really fast, compared to Live. Consider how much graphics that thing loads before it gives you what you're searching for. Bandwith is an issue for me. =\

fatality_uk
February 24th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Googles good but I am using ask.co.uk a lot more recently

harold4
February 24th, 2008, 05:51 PM
google, technocrati, yahoo mostly. Depends what I'm looking for.

EDIT: Forgot google nix (http://www.google.com/linux)

DJ_Peng
February 24th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I've tried Ask a few times, but I always seem to go back to Google. It may be partly what I'm used to, but I find that Google works a bit faster for me nine times out of ten. The fact that I have my email account through them may help, as does the fact that the two Ubuntu search tools I have installed in Firefox are built upon Google.

Northsider
February 24th, 2008, 07:30 PM
No, I have been using Google since 1998 back when Yahoo was still the premeir search engine

justin whitaker
February 24th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I have brief dalliances with other search engines, but between Documents, Reader, and Blogger, I am locked in to Google. :)

kevdog
February 24th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I wish there was an alternative to google, but there really isnt any. I'm starting to hate google similar to yahoo back in the days. If they could make a reliable calendar program that would interface with blackberry, it would be a lot better.

popch
February 24th, 2008, 08:08 PM
... but then, I am a bit partial because Google Europe resides in Switzerland and I have been to an event where the CEO held a very impressive speech. Also, they take their obligations as employer very seriously.

Palmyra
February 24th, 2008, 08:08 PM
No, I have been using Google since 1998 back when Yahoo was still the premeir search engine

Were you surprised when Google quickly became the biggest? I am wondering what the transition was like for someone with first hand knowledge.

bobbocanfly
February 24th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Google just because it is so integrated with Firefox and also it uses Linux and doesnt complain about the masses of Bug mail/mailing lists i get.

-random
February 24th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Google is awesome, but it's not always the fastest so to speak.

It's a bit of a bummer that it's monopilized the search domain so to speak. People don't talk about 'looking for something on the internet' or 'using a search engine', they talk about 'googling something'.

Monopilies tend to lack standards and compentition (spelling!? i'm afrikaans) to drive them to excell (again spelling? bleh!).

sloggerkhan
February 24th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I use google and ask mostly.

I tried out the that wikipedia-founded search thing once and didn't really get it.

Don S
February 24th, 2008, 09:43 PM
If I'm looking for a website: Google
If I'm looking for information about stuff: Wikipedia
If I'm looking up the meaning of something more specifc (etc. a word or phrase): Answers.com

metalf8801
February 24th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I use Altavista from time to time but Google is the best.

legatek
February 24th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I use alltheweb.com. It's a minimal interface, like google, and finds everything I ask it to. It's a Yahoo! tool, though.

cardinals_fan
February 24th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I love Google and use it for almost everything. There are only a couple Google services I am NOT currently using.

With that said, Ask.com is also an excellent search engine. They reorganized not long ago, and I like the new incarnation.

Cyberponcho
February 24th, 2008, 09:58 PM
... are there other search engines??? :confused:

CCNA_student
February 24th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I use alltheweb.com, but then that is a search directory rather than a search engine. I like search directories better since a human actually views the sites to see if they have something to do with the topic.

504harry
March 11th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Ask.co.uk is OK and has introduced a "better" system that claims they won't store your searches. It is an Option that's looks worth trying. However, for most folks, Google has the edge, I suspect, providing a good mix of searches and ads.
The only concern I have is that I suspect I'm being watched . . . . arrgh!

Second point:
I read in LinuxFX that there is a range of Tutorials for Ubuntu Gutzy Gibbon - is that 7.10? - - - - I'm still with 6.05LTS - maybe need to move on, eh?

some_random_noob
December 9th, 2008, 04:11 AM
I've just changed my Firefox plug-in so that it uses Cuil - something I should have done ages ago. As I always say:

"Google is the biggest intelligence agency in the world!"

Anyone else using Cuil?

cardinals_fan
December 9th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Ixquick > Google > Ask > * for most things

Google > Ixquick > Ask > * for very specific things

WaeV
December 9th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I occasionally use dogpile for audio searches, but www.seeqpod.com is better for free streaming music.

MikeTheC
December 9th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Does anyone use a non-Google Search engine??? I got this doubt. Yahoo, msn live, etc., exist. So does anyone use them at all? If yes, is there any need to use them, at all???

Well, can you do math equations and single-click multi-carrier package tracking with the others? Hmm?

Rokurosv
December 9th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I use Cuil sometimes, but 90% of the time I use Google.

magmon
December 9th, 2008, 06:25 AM
If I dont get what I want with google (Which is rare) I use yahoo. But, google isn't technically a search engine, its an index. (It doesnt look thru the internet to find what your looking for, it searches thru a list of sites that have payed to be listed xD)

dannytatom
December 9th, 2008, 06:39 AM
I've used Cuil before, and like it, but having my homepage set as iGoogle with my email and rss feeds there, it's a lot easier to just search it. ;o

DJ_Peng
December 9th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Anyone else using Cuil?
I think I used Cuil for a week or so but got tired of non-relevant search results, although I keep it around to see if they've gotten better with their results yet. My default engine is Uboontu (http://www.uboontu.com/about.htm), but if I need to look for general stuff I use Google. Although as you can see from my screenie I've got a few engines to choose from depending on the specific type of info I'm looking for. :cool:

handy
December 9th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Use Scroogle (http://www.scroogle.org/) then, it is still the Google search engine, but your privacy is protected.

DJ_Peng
December 9th, 2008, 02:41 PM
So that's what Scroogle is. My sis asked me a while back when she started seeing it in her blog stats and I had no clue what it was. Thanks for the cluecard!

handy
December 10th, 2008, 12:39 AM
So that's what Scroogle is. My sis asked me a while back when she started seeing it in her blog stats and I had no clue what it was. Thanks for the cluecard!

My pleasure.

I was grateful after being shown too. :-)

jonobr
December 10th, 2008, 01:24 AM
I wanted to like cuil and gave it a try for a good long period, but always found myself going back to google.

I wanted for this to do well as its a good story, learning from the google experience to come up with something better, however, I haven't been back there in a while.

RPG Master
December 10th, 2008, 01:54 AM
My home page is set to Cuil.

I have had a few experiences where I've found more relevant searches with Cuil then with Google or Yahoo. Also really like the layout of the results :) (and the fact that its not Google :p)

some_random_noob
December 10th, 2008, 06:09 AM
My home page is set to Cuil.

I have had a few experiences where I've found more relevant searches with Cuil then with Google or Yahoo. Also really like the layout of the results :) (and the fact that its not Google :p)

I like the layout too, but Cuil doesn't seem as good as I'd hoped. But I'll keep using it anyway. If you go to the FAQ you can find out how to submit sites to them (which they put on a crawl list).

ubuntu27
December 10th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I use SCROOGLE (http://www.scroogle.org/)

Scroogle (http://www.scroogle.org/) is an ad-free Google search proxy which prevents the searcher's data being stored by Google, a Firefox plugin, and tools for webmasters.

sim-value
December 10th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Im almost only using ask.com ....

I dont like google ...

solwic
December 10th, 2008, 08:36 AM

There are other search engines than Google? What blasphemy is this?!

:P

EdThaSlayer
December 10th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I love Google. I do not trust them however, but I love them.