PDA

View Full Version : Linux Systems Administration Training

Almumin
February 24th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Launching a site for Linux Training. I am using it for school! Check it out and give a brother some feedback!

https://www.iteachguru.com

The guest option is enabled!

(http://www.onlyhelping.org)

btimb
February 24th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I will tell u that I am not a pro, in fact only been using Ubuntu for two months, and a computer at home for 18 months but if the source for training were available at a reasonable cost, there are a few things I would study:

1) basic operations,
for example, many times I install a program and have absolutely no clue how to run it, so I am forced to spend many hours in research (I really do not mind at this time because I have a very steep learning curve and must catch up to the world)

2) basic trouble shooting,
for example, sometimes I will run a program, (like f-spot photo) and it will stop without warning or error message, I do not know why this happens. I would like know why so that I can fix it. Or at least know if it is broke or just lazy.

3) basic how to work within the forum/Ubuntu help systemssssss
there seems to be many, this forum, the launch pad, and then there is a Ubuntu site where I usually get help from (I just happened on this one today again -- so whatever!)

4) basic understanding,
it appears to me that many people using Ubuntu are asking for help, most of these peope are probably like me, just simple untrained end users, most of the help or advise given is extremely technical; I would think that scares many potential users right back into the pits of the proprietary masses; (usually when I get advice I spend several hours researching to understand what has just been advised -- so if you are to set up some sort of training video manual, be advised, please, we are only as fast as our slowest student, or less bluntly, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. If we want to encourage folks to use and enjoy Ubuntu, we dont want them to think they have to be some sort of genious, or computer guru.

5) I applaud your efforts,
best of luck -- I hope I was of some help (but, probably not)
btimb

Almumin
February 25th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Btimb,

Your insight was entremely helpful. I need your type of input the most. I would llke to get as many people as possible to support the site and Ubuntu. It doesn't help if the stuff is so hard that you can't use it. I know what you mean.

Please tell me some more of what you think I need to target. Trust me...IT HELPS!

dark_phantom
February 25th, 2008, 08:49 PM
A few years ago I took an intro course through work called "Linux for Unix Administrators." It was targeted for Red Hat, but I'm sure one that's targeted for Ubuntu would be great. Or are you trying to keep it general to just Linux?

wireddad
February 26th, 2008, 02:25 AM
I am sure this will be awesome. Will it be more in-depth than the other screencasts? Will it be for both newbies and "pro's?" :popcorn:

Almumin
February 26th, 2008, 06:48 PM
wireddad, Yes, I am targeting newbies and people that actually use it in the enterprise. Did you know that Harvard and John Hopkins is using Ubuntu Servers? Something high quality and comprehensive is needed. I WILL fill this gap.

dark_phantom, actually I am targeting Ubuntu Server Administration and Red Hat topics specifically. I look at it like this. Ok. I can't use RHEL in the videos because they are turning like freaking Micro$oft on the licensing crap. So I will just use CentOS instead. Knowledge is free. They can't stop me for that. OpenSUSE will cover the Enterprise stuff, but since Ubuntu, CentOS, and OpenSUSE is "FREE"! I can teach what I want. I mean, I spent years learning systems administration and database stuff. People hold onto knowledge like they are the secret service or something, or they charge the heck out of you to use it. Yes, the development is not free. People have to get paid, but look people are looking for jobs in IT. SUSE, Red Hat, Ubuntu, and many Linux skills are EXTREMELY marketable. Therefore, I am going to share what I know and hopefully, people will think the site is good enough to share what they know and vice versa...Ubuntu style!:KS

Shea

Samhain13
February 26th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Shea, you know what, it's because of people like you that I can make a living now. :)
Cheers! And best wishes on your project. I have no suggestions as of now, but I will bookmark your site and visit it often.

dca
February 26th, 2008, 07:09 PM
....hmmm, then you would have to include a 'Migrating from Windows Server, SCO UNIX, et al' to Ubuntu Linux portion....

Almumin
February 26th, 2008, 08:48 PM
dca, trust me I am on it! I am just building the site now. Putting all of the information that I can up and trying to do PDF for docs and in ODT format for writer. It is a task. I am on vacation this week so I want to get the bulk of this done and have something at least up in a week or two with a blog for suggestions. I am just going to get this wheel rolling! I know with everyone in the community, my idea can become huge and guess what...people that charge an arm and a leg for training...I AM GUNNING FOR YA!
They will be pissed! =):lolflag::guitar:

Almumin
February 26th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Samhain13, man after I get this site up, I need you to look at it and criticism the hell out of it. You have that web background, I will need your input. I just know the sys admin side and I am looking to do the site in Ruby on Rails or for fast ease of use MS Visual Studio's Free version for asp.net styles. Php kind of takes to long for me since I am not a web developer.

Almumin
February 26th, 2008, 08:55 PM
dca GIVE SOME MORE FEEDBACK on what you think I should focus on...like a list dude seriously.

jonabyte
February 26th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Hey Almumin,

I would start with the basics for those who are introducing the server version into their networks.
Some topics could be:

Installing a lamp server (for basic web serving)

Installing a mail server (I see this topic in the server group a lot)

Installing a Samba server (again same as above)

Updating the server, via cron and bash scripts

I could go on, but I think you get my drift.

Good luck, sounds like a worthy project.

Almumin
February 26th, 2008, 10:37 PM
jonabyte,

Thanks a ton. That is the thing. Please go on and on! I have so much in my head and what is routine for me daily would seem trivial. That is why I am asking for input like what you just provided. I need to consolidate what to do. Because I know no one wants to watch 30 minute tutorials so I have to break them down.

wireddad
February 27th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Will this be totally different from other screencasts?
http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/
http://www.ubuntuvideo.com/
For example...

Almumin
February 27th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Wireddad, Dear Lord...Yes! You will be able to actually "SEE" what I am demonstrating. Not this ..."stuff" shall we say. I commend folks for what they have put up but seriously...I personally prefer something more clear. I want my site looking very professional quality, etc. Swing on over to www.trainingspot.com (http://www.trainingspot.com) to get an idea of what it will look like.

I think you will smile when I hit the net. :)

wireddad
February 28th, 2008, 02:02 AM
That will be nice. Thanks for taking the initiative.

astrotech226
February 28th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Maybe you could incorporate some LPIC (Linux Professional Institute Certification) training? They are the organization that provides the Ubuntu Certified Professional. There isn't much training material available for the level 201, 202 and 30x exams and what you are trying to do would really benefit those trying to get any of the LPIC certs, including the Ubuntu Certified Professional.

And the list of things to include are basically the objectives of each exam.

http://www.lpi.org/en/lpi/english/certification/the_lpic_program (http://www.lpi.org/en/lpi/english/certification/the_lpic_program)

nbitting
February 28th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I'm really excited about your project. I am new to Linux (about 5 months or so) but learn something new every time I sit down at my computer. I took a Unix Environment class at my university, which introduced the basics of system admins.

Here are some topics we covered:

Regular Expressions
Sed
Awk
Shell Programming
Basic shell commands
File premissions

I know there is more but I can't think of anything right now.

Here's my teacher's website with the course curriculum if you want to take a look at it..... http://dmazzola.com/cis494/syllabus.html

I can't wait to see the site! Good luck!

ashembers
February 28th, 2008, 11:48 PM
GIVE SOME MORE FEEDBACK

Hi Almumin, I have to concur with LPI training b/c I am studying for that myself, but I also think that LTSP would be a good thing to cover, especially since it is integrated into Edubuntu. I know it would take a bit of research and some hints on thin clients would be necessary, if you're into that type of thing (for me, I found FreeWyseMonkeys (http://www.freewysemonkeys.com/site/index.php)
pretty useful for that.

I like thin clients because of the energy savings, and I think that enterprises would like that too.

Best of luck!!!
Dan

Samhain13
March 1st, 2008, 11:48 AM
Samhain13, man after I get this site up, I need you to look at it and criticism the hell out of it. You have that web background, I will need your input. I just know the sys admin side and I am looking to do the site in Ruby on Rails or for fast ease of use MS Visual Studio's Free version for asp.net styles. Php kind of takes to long for me since I am not a web developer.

Oh, I'm just a frontend guy. I concentrate on HTML and CSS, with some JavaScript on the side. I can write PHP but I'm no expert. Ruby On Rails is honestly beyond my comprehension (at the moment, at least). :(

But sure, if there's anything in the frontend that needs looking at, I can help you in that area. Just send me a PM.

Cheers!

gstark
March 4th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I am pretty new to Ubuntu but think this project is a great idea!

Almumin, I live in your area and am a Admin by day and technical writer by night. If I can be of any assistance putting together your course material just let me know!

Almumin
March 5th, 2008, 02:50 PM
gstart,

That would be great! I will definitely need help. I am going to start kicking stuff out this weekend. I just have to sit down and find time to build the site.:KS And start on the videos.

gstark
March 5th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Great. Just PM me when you are ready and I will help any way I can.

sandysandy
March 9th, 2008, 12:23 PM
thats a wonderful idea. waiting eagerly for 05 Apr 08 for your website to go live.

all the best.

regards

wireddad
March 9th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I may have missed it but will there be fees or donation?

I saw the answer on the web site.

Almumin
March 28th, 2008, 04:13 PM
wireddad,

There will be a trivial subscription fee. Not for everything. The desktop stuff...no. Only the advanced server stuff. Maybe a few other advanced things. I haven't decided yet. I am open to ideas, but since it is time and sw related. There will be a minor charge. But it will be dirt cheap in comparison to $100's or $1000's of dollars places charge. It is not training per say, but tutorials on an advanced level. I am looking at $20[3months]/$30[6mons]/$80 [1 yr] subscriptions. :popcorn:

Almumin
March 28th, 2008, 04:17 PM
SandySandy, I moved it to the release day after Hardy, some of the beta is still buggy. I am building training that has to be good and the beta still needs some work. So, that is why I pushed it back from 4/5

bloodrose
April 20th, 2008, 06:33 AM
I, too, am eager for this project to come into fruition. I'll be watching - and I have the site BM'd.:)

Linux&Gsus
April 20th, 2008, 08:28 AM
A noble task....
Here are some ideas I have.

Are planing on covering different desktop environments? (KDE, Gnome, Xfce, etc.)
A install guide for different scenarios, e.g. dual boot, re-partitioning to install Win after Linux, etc.
What about different backup options. I personally could never figure out how "Keep" (on KDE) works, also I guess that many people have a server at home and have a few machines used by the family, so something like e.g. a Bacula guide would be nice as well.
LAMP, DNS, etc was already mentioned, I guess?
Install a CMS (e.g. Joomla or Drupal) on the home server, for site development or personal diary, or whatever reason.
You could have a monthly (or what ever seems convenient) "in depth" special about a program, e.g. how do I organize my photos with "programABC" or how do I use the full potential of "programEFG", etc.
How to make a custom desktop theme.
Security: Disk Encryption, Virus Scanner, Firewall, etc.

There is probably more, those are just a bunch of spontaneous thoughts. I hope there are not too many dupes.

Cheers,
Steve

fatality_uk
April 20th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Hi Almumin,

I hope you took my advice from your last/similar thread and haven't included any Copyrighted material.

I think you need to make clear what is "free" and what is charged for and your front page. A course list with sylabus would be good.

Almumin
April 20th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Fatality_Uk,

How are you. There will be creative commons copyrights for redistribution. That is all. I mean, I am doing the work, I want to be recognized for it. However, I want it to benefit the entire community. This is something that I am doing in my spare time for the benefit of the Ubuntu community. Then once it takes off, I want others to jump in and take over or help. The Red Hat and Novell SUSE community has an established training regimen. We have to do the same thing and not some rinky dinky "this is the application menu" nonsense. Well, it is a work in progress. Between graduate school and working as a Technical Manager I don't always have the time I want to finish the project, but I will have SOMETHING live by the 25th after the launch.

Take care!:popcorn:

bloodrose
April 26th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I see that the site has changed... So progress is being made... Keeping an eye out and wishing luck!=D>

pwnst*r
May 11th, 2009, 05:15 AM
It is not training per say, but tutorials on an advanced level.

Re: Linux Systems Administration Training

maybe you should change the topic title?

pwnst*r
May 11th, 2009, 05:24 AM
FYI @2:57 of your video "introduction to SSH" you said that your other server is unreachable because of a firewall, when in fact you typed an IP of 192.168.100.

although i admire what you're doing, you have quite a bit of work ahead of you. i would slow your pace down during the tutorials because you fat finger a lot and ramble sometimes, repeating things you've just got done saying.

good luck with this project though.

Almumin
May 12th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Yeah, you are right...I just saw that this morning. i have to do a "script" or something. It is hard to get this stuff done at night after work and class and your tired.