PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu T-Shirt

poofyhairguy
September 30th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Does anyone know where I can find an Ubuntu T-Shirt? I want to flaunt my favorite OS when I walk around my school.

thanks.

earobinson
September 30th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Wow I woulda asked you, I would be all about ubuntu tshirts stickers and the like.

Edit: good old google no clue who gets the money http://www.cafepress.com/ubuntushop.14580507
Looks like ubuntu gets some of it :) http://www.cafepress.com/ubuntushop/ as linked on the ubuntu home page

Edit the second: "Welcome to the Ubuntu shop! The Ubuntu project receives a small percentage on these sales which will be used to top up the bounty fund. Help us bring the spirit of Ubuntu and the benefits of open source software technology to all parts of the globe."

matthew
September 30th, 2005, 08:20 PM
try this http://www.cafepress.com/ubuntushop

EDIT: earobinson beat me to it...

poofyhairguy
September 30th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Sweet. I want a hat more now!

earobinson
September 30th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Ya Im thinking hat or mug, mug would be good for work cuz I could sit it on my desk .... hum

darkmatter
September 30th, 2005, 08:45 PM
The mugs are to small.:(

earobinson
September 30th, 2005, 08:49 PM
The mugs are to small.:(
even the big mug?

darkmatter
October 1st, 2005, 02:03 AM
even the big mug?

Yep. I'm a dedicated member of CDA (Caffeine Dependents Anonymous);)

WildTangent
October 12th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Must. Have. Tshirt. I'd so wear that to school. :D To anyone thinking it...I wouldn't suggest buying the thong for your girlfriend ;) it might freak her out. Unless of course you've converted her to linux, then it might work :P

-Wild

kayas80
October 12th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Does anybody know where I can buy these in the UK?

tehwa
October 12th, 2005, 02:35 PM
To anyone thinking it...I wouldn't suggest buying the thong for your girlfriend ;) it might freak her out.P

You mean those are for girls.....

[shifts **** uncomfortably]

auburn
October 12th, 2005, 03:03 PM
oh, they're okay.
I really think we need brown t-shirts.

Personally, I think it's be cool if the shirt had a really large ubuntu icon (the dotted triangle like on the "start" button menu) and and perhaps a more subtle reference to the name. I guess I mean put the ubuntu name in a relatively smaller font than the graphic. The t-shirt would then come off with the double interpretation as referencing something new-agey/metaphysical/spiritual. Just the name is too much like the free promotional t's that companies are always giving away.

Maybe if there's a side-project that particularly needs funding, the t's could be sold to promote it. For example, I own one of the firefox t's that's signed by the mozilla development team (now *that's* geeky). They sold them for $50.

sickdude
October 16th, 2005, 01:09 AM
i personaly think that it would be cool to give each new version a cool logo. this way t-shirts and other merchendise can be made each time. this way people donate by buying a t-shirt

i think that there are loads of ubuntu lovers that would love to design for ubuntu's sake

take open-BSD as an example, each version gets a kicks ass new puffy to walk around with. and that way people who like ubuntu but not the original logo (yes like me) can buy and donate a cool shirt

http://openbsd.org/tshirts.html

and i am more of a person that dresses only in black so white shirts are a real turn off for me, and i dont think that im the only one :p

so i sugest to make a thread where people can show there breezy badger (and older versions) grfx so people can vote for the new logo from there make cool shirts and let the communitie do this. this is a way to give to ubuntu (buying the stuff) and get a sweet ass shirt

hooray for the Ubuntu communitie :D:D:D

MetalMusicAddict
October 16th, 2005, 01:26 AM
and i am more of a person that dresses only in black so white shirts are a real turn off for me, and i dont think that im the only one :p
Being the "Metal" dude I am I als want a black shirt. Im working with some friends on 2 shirt designs. They have a little shirt co. 1 is simple and the other is, well, I'll post up a thread when things are more concrete. ;) Both will be on black T's.

majikstreet
October 16th, 2005, 02:47 AM
I'll buy everything!

aSTeRiX
October 16th, 2005, 10:07 AM
I'd love to have one of those shirts, but I'd prefer the colour to be brown instead of white. I thought my ATI and 3 AMD shirts were cool, but now I can have an Ubuntu shirt! I think I'll ask for one for christmas or something.

simira
October 30th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Brown t-shirts are available and shipping to Europe from Ubuntu Norway. Check out https://wiki.ubuntu.com/t-shirt.

Joey French
October 30th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Yeah, I bought one a while back. I was not impressed. The material the shirt came in was very low quality, and the logo that was on the shirt took on an "ironed on", and yellow look within two washes. I don't think this is any reflection on Ubuntu, but on cafepress. I ordered other logo t's that were custom, and they were poor quality shirt material as well. I do not wear any of these shirts now, as they look old before their time.

chaumurky
October 30th, 2005, 11:55 PM
I got the mug. Very nice. I want a black T-Shirt like the usplash boot logo - that'd be tré cool...

auburn
October 31st, 2005, 05:18 AM
I don't care if the t-shirts are low quality or not (although I'd *love* an American Apparel one...). Anyone printing them (brown ones) for US distribution?

circussideshow
November 8th, 2005, 07:27 AM
the mug costs $12.99 ?? come on, that's like a weeks lunch.

ubuntu_demon
November 8th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Brown t-shirts are available and shipping to Europe from Ubuntu Norway. Check out https://wiki.ubuntu.com/t-shirt.
does anyone know about the quality of these shirts ?

LinuxWiz83
November 18th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Does anybody know where I can buy these in the UK?

They allow UK sales orders.

dalani
November 20th, 2005, 02:54 AM
Nice T in khaki. Any chance that shows up in the UbuntuShop?

simira
December 9th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I bought one a while back. I was not impressed. The material the shirt came in was very low quality, and the logo that was on the shirt took on an "ironed on", and yellow look within two washes. I don't think this is any reflection on Ubuntu, but on cafepress. I ordered other logo t's that were custom, and they were poor quality shirt material as well. I do not wear any of these shirts now, as they look old before their time.

I get it right when you are talking about the CafeExpress t-shirts now, and not the ones I am selling?
Anyway, except from by order, I (or, my boyfriend) can probably bring some to FOSDEM, if you are going there.

cafeshopkeeper
April 22nd, 2006, 01:50 PM
I you want good ubuntu linux t-shirts click http://www.cafepress.com/tshirtmaster/1171121 or click http://www.cafepress.com/tshirtmaster

Rikostan
April 24th, 2006, 03:10 PM
I would love to have some ubuntu merchandise, but I don't use my credit cards for these types of purchases. We have a very strict 5 year credit plan...

Anybody know of another way to get some ubuntu merchandise in the US?

cafeshopkeeper
April 24th, 2006, 09:00 PM
I would love to have some ubuntu merchandise, but I don't use my credit cards for these types of purchases. We have a very strict 5 year credit plan...

Anybody know of another way to get some ubuntu merchandise in the US?

Rikostan: you can buy products at cafepress online or just calling and making an order via telephone... i don't know y there is another way, but , why dont take a look at the help system at cafepress? i think there is several ways of making and order there.

Rikostan
April 24th, 2006, 09:37 PM
They all require a credit card.. The payment options are extremely slim there.

simira
May 4th, 2006, 01:56 PM
This has be discussed some times before, I recall. Anyway, did you see http://wiki.ubuntu.com/t-shirt?

I now consider supplying blue Kubuntu t-shirt. Would you buy it?

noseeme
July 17th, 2006, 10:36 PM
That cafepress store needs some better designs. There should be a t-shirt design contest!!! :D

busgeek
July 27th, 2006, 10:24 AM
I'm not impressed with Cafepress. (They look cheap and nasty and they're mostly white.) I'd like to see a 'proper' Ubuntu shirt in a nice rich earthy brown - like the standard Ubuntu desktop theme...

Johnsie
July 27th, 2006, 01:15 PM
I don't mean to be rude but I think it would be rather geeky for me to walk around in a "Linux" t-shirt. What I would like to see is an Ubuntu t-shirt that was trendy and not geeky. I do admire that people are actually making an effort to spready Ubuntu this way though... It's just not my style lol :-)

Thanol
August 1st, 2006, 05:38 PM
I don't mean to be rude but I think it would be rather geeky for me to walk around in a "Linux" t-shirt. What I would like to see is an Ubuntu t-shirt that was trendy and not geeky. I do admire that people are actually making an effort to spready Ubuntu this way though... It's just not my style lol :-)

Yea, a more graphic print would be nice, besides the standard logo. Firefox shirts are kind of cool...

muz1
August 2nd, 2006, 05:05 AM
Linux tshirts, Ubuntu Tshirts...

If people find these geeky, well all people are doing is promoting what they are into. You could say the same for people who walk around in holiday tshirts saying where they have been or band tshirts.

I would dig having a linux or ubuntu tshirt or hoodie. That would rock. As a designer and also having friends that run clothing labels, I have seen my fair share of lame clothing that is supposed to be cool just because it has a brand name. I go by the belief that if that piece of clothing looks lame without the branding on it, then it still looks lame with the branding. (hence most of todays fashion). Most of these labels do not design their own goods. They go to a warehouse where there are designs already made. All they do is pick what they like of what is there and have there brand put on it. Hence the expensive labels use the same stuff as the cheap one in some cases.

Therefore, maybe, instead of having a competition for a design to go on a tshirt, hoodie, badges whatever, make it so that the person also designs the piece of apparel as well. After all, there is nothing worse that something that looks cool on something that is just not cool.

Peace
muz

Kickerk
August 6th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Hi,

The idea for a competition is a great one and I have posted details of a Canonical-sponsored competition in a separate thread. The idea is however very much one taken from this thread!

damiang
August 25th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Hi, you can try http://www.cafepress.com/sysadmin

and this section:

http://www.cafepress.com/sysadmin/705184

glotz
August 30th, 2006, 01:12 AM
I also find the t-shirt compo interesting! Where's the other thread you mention?

I think if somebody wears clothes promoting some software, it can't be all bad! :lol:

Jenda
September 1st, 2006, 01:09 PM
Have you guys ever seen those iron-on stickers?
What do you think about that? What if we designed and had printed a bunch of those and shared them among ourselves (and anyone interested)?

If anyone has any ideas on the subject...

Brendt2
September 8th, 2006, 10:38 PM
I could really go for a good line of quality products to choose from... I am suprised that there usn't anything outside of the CafePress available.

I can tell you I would be sending out some monies!

Jenda
September 14th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Well, we're working on that, aren't we :)

simira
September 16th, 2006, 09:43 AM
There will be a webshop for Ubuntu t-shirt and other things Real Soon Now. I will post here as soon as it's up'n running.

gudipudi
September 21st, 2006, 06:36 AM
well guys

i am very much looking forward to get these tshirts..but can any one suggest me if whee can i get them in USA

cheeers !!

simira
September 21st, 2006, 09:24 AM
Yes, I think they will ship to the US.

gudipudi
October 12th, 2006, 06:44 AM
thats a great news from your side freind....

Hopefully i will be getting it asp..

cheers !!!!

www.coffeebreakusa.com

randomnumber
October 15th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Free Stickers. Have not recived mine. I mailed out about 3 days ago. Can't wait.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=231548&highlight=sticker+free

jejones3141
October 21st, 2006, 04:58 AM
Is there any chance of Ubuntu T-shirts being for sale on Second Life? I'd like my avatar to display my choice of OS. :)

bobbybobington
October 21st, 2006, 03:50 PM
So... when is this T-shirt gonna show up? And is it going to be at Coffe Break USA? What does that site have to do with ubuntu?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Big Willie
October 23rd, 2006, 02:52 AM
Has anyone got a tshirt from cafepress?

How's the quality?

I'm a screen printer, and I can't imagine how they print those shirts one at a time like that. I thought they must be transfers, but I havent seen one up close, so I can't tell. Does the design hold up to washing? Anyone know?

I would LOVE to have a nice screen printed Ubuntu shirt!

I was going to check with Ubuntu about how I could print shirts for them, since I'm sure I can print them with out their permission, since it's their logo and all, and that wouldnt be cool, I just havent had a chance to email them and find out. I know I could blow away any price on CafePress, and ship them to each person too, I would just need to get a group together, since when you screen print, it's kind of a pain to print one shirt at a time, expecially multiple colors, since the setup time is crazy. It's a lot nicer to have 100, or 500 at shot.

Bill

Flamekebab
October 24th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Has anyone set up a Spreadshirt (http://www.spreadshirt.net/?lang=en&locale=GB) Ubuntu shop?

Big Willie
October 25th, 2006, 01:02 AM
I never heard of them...

hehee.. look what it says under print methods. One says "fades after washing", the next says "almost permanent", third said "fade after washing" - guess that leaves the fourth option which is Iron On designs!!!! hahahaa

sorry, maybe this is only funny to me.

I should have a design contest! Just a regular Linux design unless ubuntu gives approval on their logo, I like their logo a lot too, simple but sharp.

Big Willie
November 21st, 2006, 04:27 AM
Ubuntu is so awesome, they gave me approval to make some screen printed Tshirts!

I want a black tshirt! Anyone have any ideas?

Jenda
November 21st, 2006, 08:27 AM
Big willie, I'm working on something too. Have a look here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=303557

I just asked for trademark approval.

Big Willie
November 21st, 2006, 04:26 PM
that sounds great, where are you located? Im in Michigan, USA, and I am the screen printer. I thought of doing a distressed print (rough cut) like people are talking about, just a simple one color. The one I am thinking of doing is the vertical with the tag line linux for human beings. It's 4 color, but I want a nice black screen printed logo, and being the screen printer, I understand why people stay away from these colors on black, because you have to do real screen printing and it is more difficult, but I want a nice ubuntu shirt for myself, if I sell a few, thats cool, but atleast I will have one for me:)

Jenda
November 21st, 2006, 04:39 PM
I'm in the Czech Republic. What are your prices? I can get a third-party company to make them for $6 USD. My goal is to make teh material cheaply available to the community.

Big Willie
November 21st, 2006, 05:08 PM
If we stick with 100 piece order 1 color, front, distressed look if you want it, I can easily beat that 6 dollar price, I thought you might want to discuss it privately though if you plan on making any profit at all.

let me know all the details. So far I know 100 piece minimum and 1 color front. There is usually an upcharge for larger shirt 2x-5x. What shipping method to these other countries are they talking about using?

my printing site is www.dunriteprinting.com - its an old site, because mostly we just do commercial printing for larger order 100 pieces or more these days. I hate to take work from another screen printer, but being a screen printer, I kind of think we do the best work:) We run a 6 color manual press, which takes us longer to print than an automatic, but the quality of the print is perfectly aligned. Don't get me wrong, we can print 2000 pieces a day without blinking an eye, it's just our choice to use the manual print method versus some high speed method, we just feel the quality is far superioir.

Jenda
November 22nd, 2006, 10:46 AM
Cool.

The printer I'm talking about would do a small print on the front and an A3 sized print on the back in one color for the $6, on 100 pieces. Profit isn't my goal, minimal prices are.
(Although I reached the conclusion that only after these projects of mine generate enough money to be able to live without my investment, I'll be able to print what's needed for marketing, not what people will pay well for)

Big Willie
November 22nd, 2006, 03:10 PM
Ya, I'm sorry, I didn't mean that to sound like profit was your goal, I know you're in it to get some nice shirts at a good price for the community. Actually you are the one putting up the risk. Like you said after so many shirts sell, then you can break even. After that you will have a chance for profit, but if that many don't sell you would be sitting on some shirts.

I am really interested in helping out. I really like the design, and think it would look great on some shirts.

So, you are looking at a left chest print on the front?, and a full back - one color. Cool, that will look good, I was thinking it was a full front.

Still price shouldnt be an issue - because I am the screen printer, so no middle man or huge overhead. I like the brown shirts a lot, they look great, only problem, is personally look terrible in brown:( so I would certainly want a black one.

just let me know some of the details. Mainly I am interested in the global shipping for the prices you talked about.

I know when I talked to Ubuntu, they said I have to put a copyright on the shirt somewhere, so it could be put on the design I think without affecting how it looks. If everyone definitely wants to go with the rough cut, you should have whomever made the artwork, send me a high res EPS with no background in 100% black (CMYK) (or better yet a Coreldraw file with vector art - ahh, coreldraw is great)and I will make the screens and print a shirt, so you can see how seriously I want to print these. It would have to be the final design though, and we would have to decide for sure on image placement on the shirt, because once I make the screens, its really time consuming to remake them, and expensive.

let me know, also, don't worry I wont be offended if you still want to use the other printer, so please don't worry about that, you can just let me know, I wont get upset, cry for weeks, install gentoo, or scream "Jenda is a big meanie" :mad:

Jenda
November 22nd, 2006, 03:24 PM
No worries :)

Shipping will be an issue. I can get it _really_ cheap here: $3.50 probably, per t-shirt.
Correction: I am hoping there will be a profit. It'll join the big heap of money that I'll be sitting on when this is over. I'll quote myself from elsewhere (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=296758) what this 'fund' will serve for:
1) Used to fund marketing projects of my own, such as this one (if you
look around the forums, you will probably see it when I start something)
2) Used to fund other marketing projects which I deem worthwhile.
3) Once I decide I won't find a good way to use the earned cash, I will
start donating to Ubuntu, ubuntuforums.org, the Czech LoCo Team, other
LoCo Teams, etc, as I see fit.

I still plan other projects too, so that's where I'll drown it.

Anyway, I think I'd need a more direct quote on the price you'd offer, and then a system of shipping. Can think of three, with various degrees of your work, and various degrees of expense:
1) you send me a package, I will pay for the shipping. (most expensive)
2) you send me a package, I will pay for the shipping. You keep half the shirts to ship in the united states on your own.
3) you take over the project, and ship directly to end-users, deciding the price, where the money goes, possibly taking a profit. (probably cheapest)

You choose among these three, and if you go for 1 or 2, I will then choose between that, and doing it in the local printer... unless, of course, you can think of something else :)

Big Willie
November 22nd, 2006, 06:26 PM
I think maybe a combination of 1 and 3 might work the best.

I could start selling the shirts here, and handle everything, that would increase the per item cost, but still should be able to come up with a good price for end users. It depends on the design. For example, I think if I had my choice and were selling them one at a time, I would put just a single full front image. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of left chest prints because they seem more business like, I want a fun personal type shirt. So I think a single design on the front would accomplish that.

I couldn't estimate shipping 100% accurately until the shirt is printed to determine the weight with this design (ya its that close) but priority mail in US is 4.05 for less than a pound, and depending on the size it can be cheaper to send it first class, but worst case for a single shirt is 4.05 for shipping. So lets just assume $4.05

The shirts I am quoting are 100% gildan shirts, 6.1 ounce shirts. They are very good quality, they are the industry standard for quality shirts. Of course I can get cheaper shirts, but I won't because having a good quality shirt is too important. I see sometimes other people sell value tees, that are like 5.5 ounces or something like that, they are paper thin, and it drives me crazy, people get them as giveaways.

So using the Gildan shirts with a one color print on each side, you are talking .... drum roll please... $5.06 each - if you got only 1 side printed, large or small print, doesn't matter, I could get you a 100 shirts for $4.03 each. Now again, this is based on 100 pieces ordered at a single time, you pay me, then I ship them to you as a single order, and you distribute them as you see fit. Of course, you would pay shipping to your door. Now those prices are for S-XL black, larger sizes 2X-5X add $1.50 each.

Now if I were to sell them separately, I would probably just put them on Ebay and sell them for like 8 dollars plus shipping - depends how many people show interest. Then I would take the money and ship them of course. At the 8 dollar price though, I don't know how much I could give back to Ubuntu, which I feel is important. The hard thing about selling a design like this one at a time, is that you have to estimate the sizes people need. So lets say on your initial print run, you print a dozen shirts of each size, small through 5X, thats 96 shirts. Then you sell lets say 12 X-large and someone orders one more X-large, now you got to print more, even though you might be sitting on 50-60 shirts of other sizes, but you still need to print some, just to fill the X-large shirt order, so you can end up with quite an investment. We have tried to determine a system over the years, but the fact is, you never know exactly what size your customer is going to need, generally XL is more than the other sizes, but every design, brings different size people. plus you got to deal with people who order a size and then they get it and its the wrong size, it doesn't happen that much, because most people know their size, but when it happens you lose money, since you cant resell the shirt they send back, and you just ate all your profit up with shipping. Now this is just one color, and if people say they want brown, now you have to double your inventory. So it can be tricky.

I will gladly print this design, and take it over. I think it is a very cool design. I certainly don't mind, I then could feel that I was contributing in my own way, which would be very cool.

Completely open to ideas, and very willing to become a part of this.

Jenda
November 23rd, 2006, 01:07 AM
Managing the finances is entirely up to you. I chose to keep 10% of the price of the posters I made and shipped, which is 7.4 per poster (500 posters altogether). The profit will be much higher, though.
I have no experience with ebay though, as I've been accepting orders privately through email and payments through paypal individually.
I would also go with limited inventory - once I'm out of XL's, I'm out. I like your approach, letting the customer return the t-shirts if they are the wrong size. I don't think I'd let them do that - or I'd at least make them pay for the shipping.

Big Willie
November 27th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Sorry, for the delay, celebrated Thanksgiving with my family over the weekend.

ya, the size issue is a tough one. I believe that sometimes people make mistakes, and I always try to do what I can to help them. I do make the customer send the shirt back to me, but then I pick up shipping a new one back to them. If they made a mistake on the size and really want another size, it seems only fair that they can pay to ship the wrong one back. I used to just allow the person to keep it, and send a new one to them, but that system got abused rather quickly...

Jenda
November 27th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I go for tighter margins, in which case I'd have to make the people pay for both shipping back and shipping again.
Whenever the mistake is mine, however, I am the one to pay.

spockrock
December 12th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Being the "Metal" dude I am I als want a black shirt. Im working with some friends on 2 shirt designs. They have a little shirt co. 1 is simple and the other is, well, I'll post up a thread when things are more concrete. ;) Both will be on black T's.

as a metal head I would like that as well.......or a black zip up hoodie as well.

juliux
December 20th, 2006, 12:54 PM
For T-Shirt or Poloshirt take a look at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1885720

regards

juliux

nixternal
December 30th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Has anyone got a tshirt from cafepress?

How's the quality?
Garbage. The prints will wash off quick, and the coffee cups eventually fall apart when going through the dishwasher and heated drying.

I was going to check with Ubuntu about how I could print shirts for them, since I'm sure I can print them with out their permission, since it's their logo and all, and that wouldnt be cool, I just havent had a chance to email them and find out. I know I could blow away any price on CafePress, and ship them to each person too, I would just need to get a group together, since when you screen print, it's kind of a pain to print one shirt at a time, expecially multiple colors, since the setup time is crazy. It's a lot nicer to have 100, or 500 at shot.
I know I would be interested especially since you are in Michigan and I am in Chicago. My family is in the SW corner (Berrien Cty./Benton Harbor) of which I travel to quite a bit. If possible, work up some prices, and I can guarantee a sale of around 25 for the Ubuntu Chicago crowd.

OzzyFrank
December 31st, 2006, 01:33 AM
Hiya. OK, lot of talk on the t-shirt front, so I'll add my 2c worth. First off, I'm a bit disappointed to see the merchandise is not only "not all that cheap" (to be polite), but also actually bad quality (from reports here). Let's not mention the low percentage Ubuntu seems to be getting...

Being one of a group of Metal listeners in this thread, and one who generally dresses in black, I can agree that the white t-shirts just have absolutely no appeal. That said, the jersey with choice of black arms is rather cool, but if you wanted a short-sleeved shirt, you're back to white.

The links to the "brown" t-shirt... thanks guys, but the colour is actually Khaki!

While other guys into black won't agree here, I reckon a dark brown t-shirt is the best (and most appropriate) option, and would really like to get one. I'd also like to address another factor here: SIZE and SHAPE.

First off, I have to be fair and congratulate cafepress for having the sense to include the size "small". Not all people into PCs are overweight, or over 6ft for that matter. Nothing worse for me that wearing TENTS (what I call oversized "one-size-fits-all" t-shirts). Which brings me to the matter of shape, as most of your more standard t-shirt designs are for the baggy look, even in small sizes. Yes, I know there is validity in this, seeing as the percentage of obese people in western (or 1st-world) countries is rapidly rising... but, you know, this isn't my problem!

I actually try to look after my body, and even try to fit in some exercise between my many hours of geeking, hehe. What I'd like to see is not only dark brown t-shirts in small, but the more current tighter fitting ones, even with the slightly lower neck and shorter arms with ribbed cuff or whatever.

And while maybe the logo could be a little bigger in the designs I have seen, I disagree that the word ubuntu should be smaller. I also like the "linux for human beings" slogan included on that khaki one, and reckon you should have a choice of having that or just plainer.

Cheers

gumpish
February 25th, 2007, 08:41 PM
The use of cafepress and the lack of a black or even a brown t-shirt is really unsettling since I'm sure there are plenty of people here who have experience ordering quality custom merchandise of this sort which would end up with more shirts ordered and more money going back to Ubuntu.

Personally, I would love to see a LOGO ONLY shirt. Why? People who have a clue would say "nice shirt", and you'd know you were talking with a fellow Ubuntu enthusiast. When encountering people who don't recognize the logo, it would be a great conversation starter.

http://www.mgroves.com/images/ubuntu-logo.jpg

Attractive Stranger: "What's that on your shirt?"

You: "Ubuntu."

Attractive Stranger: "'Ubuntu'? What's that?"

With the "Linux for human beings" tagline, there's no mystery.

If Canonical isn't interested in getting into the quality t-shirt market, are there any legal concerns preventing people from making their own? (And selling them?)

Jenda
February 26th, 2007, 08:14 AM
The use of cafepress and the lack of a black or even a brown t-shirt is really unsettling since I'm sure there are plenty of people here who have experience ordering quality custom merchandise of this sort which would end up with more shirts ordered and more money going back to Ubuntu.

Hello gumpish,

You might want to know that Julius Bloch of Ubuntu Germany (juliux ubuntu com) offers beatiful navy blue embroidered-logo shirts for 10 or 15 euro (T and polo, respectively). Feel free to email him for details. I personally bought 1, and got another when I saw it :)

If Canonical isn't interested in getting into the quality t-shirt market, are there any legal concerns preventing people from making their own? (And selling them?)

Not really - only when you alter the logo, you should ask for permission. Check the trademark policy on ubuntu.com (no link, sry - e-cafe, IE 6)
You can't go wrong asking them if you're not sure. Making any merchandise yourself and selling it is not only OK, but also very appreciated :) (More so by Ubuntu than by Canonical, naturally)

Hope this helps.

DNCTrung
January 28th, 2008, 08:52 PM
http://www.zazzle.com/dnctrung/products
Ubuntu T-Shirts

nixternal
January 28th, 2008, 09:30 PM
$41 for a t-shirt? Is it made of gold? I recently purchased really nice embroidered t-shirts for $20, so $41 for a screenprint sounds a little, heck a lot, off.

vpsville
January 31st, 2008, 08:29 PM
I think the logo could be printed on a shirt for personal use for free. I think some shops have the right kind of printers for that. Just look for custom T-Shirts.

Aquaman420
February 1st, 2008, 09:57 PM
I made this shirt back in August if anybody is interested. http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customize/product.aspx?clear=true&number=%20154256292

Also I have ordered about 5 custom shirts from cafepress.com and after about 3 years my first one started to go. But 3 years come on that is good. All you gotta do is not wash and dry it everytime you wear it. And you'll be conserving energy at the same time.