PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How do you set up a poll?

Forrest Gumpp
February 24th, 2008, 05:04 AM
I have searched the Forum FAQs for advice as to how to set up a poll with no success. The only reference (an oblique one) I have been able to find to doing this was in the thread titled 'test' started by ~LoKe http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=682231

How do I do this?

LaRoza
February 24th, 2008, 05:18 AM
When you start a thread, there is an option to add a poll (under the text entry).

You make the poll after submitting the post, so you submit first.

It is under "Additional Options"

Forrest Gumpp
February 24th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I learn more. The 'Add a poll to this thread' option can also be reached via the 'Thread Tools' button located just above the first post showing on any thread page. There is a drop-down menu.

This option only displays when you are logged in, however, together with the options 'Subscribe to this thread', 'Ignore this thread', and 'Mark this thread as unsolved'.

When you are not logged in the only options displayed are 'Show printable version' and 'Email this page'.

Now of course, when I was just a visiting lurker, I did not get to learn the full functionality of such buttons. Even after becoming a Forum member, I still did most of my surfing of the site while logged out.

Perhaps this general behaviour of the site needs to be more obvious to new members. (It probably is, in the Stickies. Whatever you do, don't read the Stickies!)

LaRoza
February 24th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I learn more. The 'Add a poll to this thread' option can also be reached via the 'Thread Tools' button located just above the first post showing on any thread page. There is a drop-down menu.

This option only displays when you are logged in, however, together with the options 'Subscribe to this thread', 'Ignore this thread', and 'Mark this thread as unsolved'.

When you are not logged in the only options displayed are 'Show printable version' and 'Email this page'.

Now of course, when I was just a visiting lurker, I did not get to learn the full functionality of such buttons. Even after becoming a Forum member, I still did most of my surfing of the site while logged out.

Perhaps this general behaviour of the site needs to be more obvious to new members. (It probably is, in the Stickies. Whatever you do, don't read the Stickies!)

Interesting, I am always logged in when browsing, so I didn't notice.

That feature is not mentioned in the stickies I think. Perhaps a "tour thread" would be useful. I (we) will consider it. Thanks.

Forrest Gumpp
February 24th, 2008, 07:42 PM
WHOA!

I just posted (#3) and mentioned in passing that the last option in the drop-down menu from the Thread Tools button was 'Mark this post as unsolved'.

I then proceeded to attempt to mark my thread 'Mixed messages generating unnecessary questions?' http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=702917
as unsolved.

When I clicked on the Thread Tools button the last option was 'Mark this thread as solved'. I thought I must have made a mistake in reading the menu the first time, so I checked the screenshot I had taken of the menu options. Yep, it definitely said 'unsolved'!

Why the difference? They were both threads I had opened, the first of which I had previously marked as solved. Is it just a way of reversing (removing) a previously emplaced 'solved' marking only showing up in a thread already so marked?

popch
February 24th, 2008, 08:28 PM
WHOA!

I just posted (#3) and mentioned in passing that the last option in the drop-down menu from the Thread Tools button was 'Mark this post as unsolved'.

I then proceeded to attempt to mark my thread 'Mixed messages generating unnecessary questions?' http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=702917
as unsolved.

When I clicked on the Thread Tools button the last option was 'Mark this thread as solved'. I thought I must have made a mistake in reading the menu the first time, so I checked the screenshot I had taken of the menu options. Yep, it definitely said 'unsolved'!

Why the difference? They were both threads I had opened, the first of which I had previously marked as solved. Is it just a way of reversing (removing) a previously emplaced 'solved' marking only showing up in a thread already so marked?

That seems to be an easy one.

In the case of the 'thanked' attribute for a post, the appropriate icon acts as a toggle. It thanks when the post is not marked, it un-thanks when marked. 'Un-thanking' means, of course, removing the thanks issued previously for a post.

I rather fancy the 'solved' attribute for threads would work in roughly the same way.