PDA

View Full Version : need career advice - IT certification

jman623
February 24th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Hi All,

I was recently laid off from my job and I am thinking about pursueing certification to enhance my chances of getting another job that will pay a higher salary than my last one. I have an associates in information Technology, and about a 1 year and a half experience. The two postions I would love to have are either a desktop support analyst (not helpdesk!) or a sysadmin that deals with linux. There are two certs I have in mind the A+ or the RHCE.

The A+ is easier to obtain and is more likely to land me a postion I'd like however the jobs don't pay as well as other IT related jobs.

I am also considering the RHCE, since I love linux, it's challenging and it will get me a job that will pay more, however the cert is very expensive and is less likely to land me a job even though i do have some "real world" experience with linux.

Anyone have any suggestions?

jrusso2
February 24th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Get the A+ and while your working start taking the RHCE

Lostincyberspace
February 24th, 2008, 04:36 AM
A+ is easy I am going to go get certified soon.

Syrtis
March 5th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Does anyone here have a Dell cert? If so where is a good place to get some study materials and what should I expect to see on the test. I'm planning on taking the test within the next two months and am really excited about it. Thanks in advance:)

BDNiner
March 5th, 2008, 11:40 PM
I think certs are a waste of time. It sucks that you only got a year and a half experience. if you made it 2 years i wouldn't even bother with the certs since 2 years experience is enough for most entry level IT related jobs. but in your case get the A+ to cover for the experience that you don't have. but that is it since you want to work on linux and the rest of the certs would be a waste of time and money. Then try and convince your employer to pay for your RHCE cert, that way you can be paid to be there taking the classes and such.