PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for funding free software projects

climatewarrior
February 24th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Most likely many persons in the past have already had these ideas and also already found out that they don't work. But nonetheless here they go. Some ideas I have been thinking about for funding free (as in freedom) software projects.

1. Give users the ability to pay for bounties. Wouldn't It be great if a system was built so that a user can put and pay for bounties? For example, John Doe found this bug in Ubuntu and he is really pissed off. It turns out that this bug is really difficult to fix and that it only affects a small number of people. Wouldn't it be great if I could right click on the bug report and put a bounty on this bug, for example $30 dollars to the first person to fix this bug. And wouldn't it be great if the users could put bounties in new features they want. For example application b can't do b. And so John and a couple of friends go online and submit a feature request. And to this feature request they all contribute a total of $500 in bounties. Next day developers will work very hard in order to claim these bounty and then the users and the developers and in turn everyone will benefit. Even those who didn't pay for the bounties.

2. Have the users donate CPU time. Have you heard about projects like seti and folding at home where users donate CPU time and bandwidth to make really large and complex scientific computations? Well what if for example I wanted to help out a project, lets say Ubuntu, KDE or whatever. Wouldn't it be great if I could donate CPU time and bandwidth to them so that they could sell that power to lets say banks, financial institutions or whatever.

3. Put foss aps on the Internet! What about porting some of the best free apps to the internet. Sort of like open office and getting revenue from ads just like everybody does now a days. For example I go to this website vectormagic that transforms your bit map pics into svgs. I'm not sure but soon they will start charging for that service. I know there is a foss desktop tool that does this. Wouldn't it be great if those guys put their app online and got a lot of revenue from ad sales?

4. MERCHANDISE! Now a days some movies make more money out of selling crap than selling movie tickets. Now that geekdom is on the rise wouldn't it be great if we could buy foss themed tshirts in lets say in best buy. Some foss projects could get more attention and some needed cash by selling merchandise based in their products. For example a Firefox tshirt making fun of IE or M$ would sell a lot these days.

I know that these ideas won't probably work on the real world. But maybe just maybe some of these might work and more of us will be able to work full time in what we love to do the most.

Forrest Gumpp
February 24th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Could you make the bounty system a bit like re-insurance? Perhaps working along the lines of as more users sign up for the bounty the initial donors get a rebate or reduction in the call actually made upon them when the new feature is actually developed? A way of more fairly sharing the cost of providing the incentive for any genuinely widely sought-after feature or application. Just a thought. Make it pay to step up early!

climatewarrior
February 24th, 2008, 02:29 AM
I think that is a great idea indeed. Because without that system a lot of people would feel like they were ripped off. And if we have that system in place more people will feel comfortable with paying bounties.

hardyn
February 24th, 2008, 03:03 AM
I heard on this forum some people were looking to put together an ebay style web site where an project head advertises a project, then freelance hackers bid on the project. although the bidding works in the opposite direction of regular ebay... sounds like a good idea to me.

the other thing, is actully fund projects yourself, espicially if you are using an OSS for commercial use, is financially support the project. donate to the project an amount that you feel is fair. I am finally in a position where i have some money to donate, and while i have not done it yet (currently travelling) i do intend to financially support a few OSS projects.

k2t0f12d
February 24th, 2008, 03:18 AM
I like the bounty idea, but I foresee bureaucracy and squabbling over details like who fixed which bug first.

climatewarrior
February 24th, 2008, 03:37 AM
I also like to donate to projects. But the thing is that most people don't donate to projects. At least no enough so that developers can work full time on their projects. I know that there are some projects that can work full time because of donations and corporate funding and other incomes. But most projects don't have that luxury. And I also think that there's nothing wrong with just being volunteers. I mean a lot of great projects, what the heck most of them have started as free software hackers working their way trough their free time. And a lot of great projects are indeed that, and that's great. But it would also be great if projects had more income so that they could work more time.

climatewarrior
February 24th, 2008, 03:42 AM
I like the bounty idea, but I foresee bureaucracy and squabbling over details like who fixed which bug first.

That's true. But bounties already exist so maybe this has already been taken care of by some rules or something.

Presto123
February 24th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Only thing I could see negatively would be someone intentionally placing a bug so that they could be the first one to fix it, making big bucks for an error in their own software.

Might be kind of like having to pay for antivirus.

The idea itself would be great if it wasn't for that problem.

climatewarrior
February 24th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Only thing I could see negatively would be someone intentionally placing a bug so that they could be the first one to fix it, making big bucks for an error in their own software.

Might be kind of like having to pay for antivirus.

The idea itself would be great if it wasn't for that problem

That could become a huge problem indeed. If no safety net is designed to stop this from happening the system wont work.

Maybe this would work only for feature requests then.

k2t0f12d
February 25th, 2008, 12:46 AM
One of the weakest areas in GNU/Linux is games support. There are a few, and very few, commerically supported games clients for Linux. The best example I can think of is Neverwinter Nights by BioWare. It was the first game program for which the Canadian developer has released a Linux client, and the last. Coincidentally, they have since been predisposed or contracted by Microsoft to write titles initially exclusive for Xbox, e.g. Mass Effect. However, with Neverwinter Nights, BioWare had follow a very UNIX-like development strategy, where they created a program that did one thing as well as possible (i.e. turn-based RPG with state-of-the-art 3D graphics at the time), gave it a scripting language and toolkit, and distributed it to the user with the added value of real customization without extensive programming experience. Since then they have released patches that improve the game and sold modules that repeatedly revitalized interest in the game. So many titles are developed in a vacuum, then distributed to the user in various states of completion (e.g. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II :-({|= ).

This a base for which one could design a business model for games in Linux. Write a program that supplies the feaures of a gaming genre and do it as well as possible. Give it a scripting language and a toolkit that eases customization as much as possible for non-technical users. Distribute the program as free software and generate interest and support by socializing the cost of some of the development. Then create and sell high-quality modules that can be played on the software. Not only would the original developer be able profit for the modules they write, but the users could create and distribute their own, either gratis for for a fee.

Forrest Gumpp
February 26th, 2008, 02:28 AM
The Forum Administration could start selling 'indulgences'.

Posters who had incurred infraction points could be given the option of redeeming them by the contribution of an initially small, but perhaps subsequently progressively increasing, amount of real money. These contributions would have something of the character of a self-imposed fine for bad forum behaviour, should the poster elect to take up this option.

The money (electronically transferred of course) would all go into a fund the purpose of which could be to do exactly what you propose. The fund could be totally transparently administered in the full view of Forum members. Provided there was a clear 'arms length' separation between the moderators imposing infractions, and the trustees overseeing the fund,such a revenue stream may be some sort of a 'seed' for further eliciting of more significant or novel contributions.

Perhaps, after an initial period of grace upon users becoming members of the Forum, the Forum Administration may impose similar 'voluntary fines' upon members failing to have surfed the Stickies and FAQs every as-yet-to-be-determined so often. Failure to pay up might carry the consequence of enjoyment of reduced site privileges.

Why don't you run this idea past LaRoza? I have a feeling she might be quite receptive to it. See this now locked thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=707568 for a possible reason why.

popch
February 26th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Where's the door of the cathedral where one can post theses? That idea might easily result in severe Schisma.

Forrest Gumpp
February 26th, 2008, 02:07 PM
popch,

Truly, it is not that I wish to exacerbate open sores with this proposal, but rather to provide some ideas for a financial poultice for the body politic of Ubuntu, and beyond that of Linux. Comfrey for the digital soul, so to speak.

Money constitutes the sinews of war, and Ubuntu is in the front line of a war; in effect, a language war. Not a language war in the conventional sense, but in the sense of a war to preserve the right of people to communicate upon their own terms, not upon those imposed by some EULA.

I trust your allusions to cathedral doors and schisma are related to that comic hero of yore, Luthor, the giant Nubian servant of Mandrake, the Magician. If not, I shall have to go on a diet of worms in an attempt to improve my perception.

popch
February 26th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I trust your allusions to cathedral doors and schisma are related to that comic hero of yore, Luthor, the giant Nubian servant of Mandrake, the Magician. If not, I shall have to go on a diet of worms in an attempt to improve my perception.

Some are said to find a diet of worms frightfully tasty if a bit disappointing in the crunchyness department. That's why they are called 'crunchy frogs' and not 'crunchy worms'. Ask any fish. Ask the early bird.

Fear not, you got the general idea. I could not resist bringing Luther and the cathedral portal into play, especially in the light of the 'Cathedral and Bazaar' lore.

Still, I would be on Luther's side concerning the trade with indulgences. That would open a can of worms we wouldn't be able to re-can.

I'm against it.

climatewarrior
February 27th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Here's another idea. Custom tailored Ubuntu distros. And I think this one could be really successful. Imagen Ubuntu boutiques a la apple stores popping up everywhere and the slogan could be don't use any os use iOS. And what they could do is charging you for building a distro customized for your hardware. For example the distro could be configured to work with every thing you want out of the box. Also they could build a custom theme for your tastes. Also it could come with all the programs you want. And they could also tell you about the benefits involved with using a distro that was built just for your system. Although this is kind of a gimmick I do think that Canonical and all distros could make a ton of money with this.

Forrest Gumpp
February 28th, 2008, 05:43 AM
What a good idea, climatewarrior. Customised *buntu. Ubuntu4U - made by Geek Nurdz for Green Nuubz! Bantubuntu for the local .za market? Zulubuntu for those to whom timing is critical? Ubuntutu for one archbishop and any number of ballet dancers. The possibilities seem endless.

But hey, isn't there something deliciously appropriate about people being able to load Belarc Advisor (a program that runs under Windows, and that is widely available as a 'freebie' for personal use from computer magazines' cover CDs) onto the pre-installed Windows that likely infests their computer, and run it to produce full technical specifications output for their hardware set up? Then, in a final act of long-overdue ingratitude, to upload that information using Internet Exploder (to an Ubuntu site that does not have to worry about whatever viruses that might come with it) into the hands of the Kanonikal Kustomizers (the KKK).

There to be teleworkedover into Ubuntu4U by a diffuse world-wide network of nurdz each contributing according to their expertise. In no time flat you would see geeks bearing gifts: gifts of a stable, tempobidirectionally compatible, modularly extensible, ready-to-work operating system just for you.

"Les donors est mobile, Ubuntu profito...."

But hard drives are cheap today, cheaper than yesterday! (Can you hear the tune?)

Whilst the direct download, CD, or DVD provide a simple and straightforward means of distribution, the additional option of having Ubuntu4U supplied already on a HDD may provide a means of obviating many of the difficulties (for the inexperienced) of partitioning and dual booting. Physical installation and jumpering is far less of a challenge, IMO, than using partitioning software and tinkering with boot records. Bring on the floppy or CD bootloader - supply it with the HDD!

Ubuntusers, under way! Hard drive away, no more to pay, with Ubuntu4U today! Just $X (or U, or K)!

Gosh, my head is starting to spin. I think I'm starting to sound like a used car salesman. "Take a test drive, you won't look back!" Tell them to ship it.

I must stop this.

climatewarrior
February 29th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Excellent idea! I think that we should post it in the new Ubuntu digg.com style idea website. I think that if these were to be succesful it would incredebly succesful because such a system would only with free software. Neither Apple nor Microsoft could ever release such a service because of their proprietary nature.
I hope this idea catches on.

If you post it in there please tell me so that I can digg it.
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

Forrest Gumpp
February 29th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks, climatewarrior, for your kindly offered agreement for me to post these ideas on Ubuntu Brainstorm. I just need a bit of time to become familiar with their site. I think they are just ironing out a few bugs and keelhauling a few spammers at the moment, so its probably best to wait a bit. I certainly intend to post there.

I'd like to be able to say you can bank on it, but I'll just have to see how this sort of related complementary idea flies. See: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=711065

Forrest Gumpp
March 2nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
climatewarrior,

Sorry about the delay in further developing the customised Ubuntu ideas set out in posts # 15 and 16 in this thread. I'm sure there are many with much higher geek quotients than me to do this anyway! I've been putting a bit more effort into the 'Thanks Bank' and the associated 'Ubuntuberrima Fidelity Bonds'ideas, mainly because I can see a need, should the idea of 'Ubuntu4U' be embraced and prove capable of implementation, of significant capital to underwrite the massive expansion in usage of all of hardware (the drives), the OS, and the Ubuntu Forums that would then rapidly result from these ideas.

Thank you for mentioning in post # 17 the natural monopoly Linux in general has for the provision of such a service, of which Ubuntu Linux, with its large and unique community base, of all distros is best positioned to take advantage. There is absolutely nothing like possession of a world-wide natural monopoly as a basis for a successful community co-operative business model. This could be the solution to the Ubuntu Bug No.1 mentioned just recently by future_pilot when being interviewed by bapoumba. (Want to know where you can find the interview? Try the Community Cafe Stickies! Want to know what Ubuntu Bug No.1 is? There's a link to it in the interview!)

You need a very broad base of risk capital support for an idea like this, and the best place to get risk capital from is lots of small contributions from a huge number of people, people who, because of the small amount involved can afford to write off their investment if the worst comes to the worst. Most wealthy people and financial institutions only want to invest in sure things.

Now if the Ubuntu Forums community have the wit, collectively, to realise the strength of their position in providing a service of this nature for which they can set the price in accordance with the Ubuntu ethos, then risk is greatly minimized. With a bank of their own, the Ubuntu Forums community can lock out the sort of investors who would normally flock to invest with a desire to take the lion's share of the profit from such a sure thing.

The 'Thanks Bank' I see as being the necessary vehicle for mobilising lots and lots of small contributions in support of taking a business opportunity, a business the success of which is substantially capable of being ensured by that very community, and with its success will see the profits returned to that community as a mark of respect for the work of those who have gone before in giving us all our free lunch.

Let's have a real hard drive to beat Ubuntu Bug No.1 for good and all!

You can find out about Ubuntuberrima Fidelity Bonds and the 'Thanks Bank' here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=711065

Forrest Gumpp
March 2nd, 2008, 08:39 PM
I found this interesting statement, made on 11 October 2005, by nocturn (a staff emeritus): "Ubuntuforums is not being run by canonical. It was started by ubuntu-geek using his own money." Here is a link to the post where that was said: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=400998&postcount=7

I have no idea at this stage what it has cost in actual financial terms to run the Ubuntu Forums since that time, or where the money has come from to do it. It seems plain how the ball was started rolling.

climatewarrior,

The 'Thanks Bank' I see as being the necessary vehicle for mobilising lots and lots of small contributions in support of taking a business opportunity, a business the success of which is substantially capable of being ensured by that very community, and with its success will see the profits returned to that community as a mark of respect for the work of those who have gone before in giving us all our free lunch.

Let's have a real hard drive to beat Ubuntu Bug No.1 for good and all!