PDA

View Full Version : Perl backup script help.

maxding
February 24th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Hello all I am working on a simple backup script. I have created it and simply tars the contents of a several directories and creates the file. I have setup the cron to run daily. However, my issue is that i do not know enough about perl to have daily unique file names. I have been looking on google for about 30 minutes and can't find anything really helpful.

My code looks like this:

system "tar -cvvf /home/mdinges/backup/sitebackup.tar /var/www";

anything that you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks,
Max

LaRoza
February 24th, 2008, 01:32 AM
For making "random" names, you can add the date or time to the backup name.

maxding
February 24th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I seemed to have figured out my own issue.

here's what i did.

mdinges@ubuntu:~/backup$ cat /root/scripts/backupsite.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl
#lets add the date:
($sec,$min,$hour,$mday,$mon,$year,$wday,$yday,$isd st)=localtime(time);
$mon = $mon+1;
$year = $year-100;
#backs up the /var/www dir and places it in the /home/mdinges/backup dir.
system "tar -cvvf /home/mdinges/backup/sitebackup0$year-$mon-$mday.tar /var/www";

ghostdog74
February 24th, 2008, 02:51 AM
learn to write "portable code" at least. In Perl, you can use modules like Archive::tar ( or others ) to do archiving. You are not dependent on whether they have "tar" utility if you one day decides to port your script to other platforms.

slavik
February 24th, 2008, 05:40 AM
question ... why use -v -v for tar when you are running it through system() and not even capturing the output?

maxding
February 24th, 2008, 06:43 PM
i am brand new to this perl thing and only to know to take commands from shell. I'm sure there are better ways of doing it. But, I am still learning.

I've been going through some tutorials so i can learn this language.

Max

slavik
February 24th, 2008, 06:46 PM
my point is that you don't need -v -v because any output tar gives is dropped anyway ...

LaRoza
February 24th, 2008, 06:53 PM
my point is that you don't need -v -v because any output tar gives is dropped anyway ...

I think it was a reference to ghostdog's comment.

@OP You will find that Perl (Python, Ruby, etc) have modules for many tasks, and may be more efficient and more flexible than system(). Don't worry, we all start somewhere.

slavik
February 24th, 2008, 08:19 PM
sorry, should've made that clear. :)

another way of doing shell calls is by surrounding a command you want with backticks (the one on the tilda key).

ie:

$ouput = `date`;

if you use variables inside the function call, double quote string replacement rules apply, for example:

$somedir = "/home/";
$output = `ls $somedir`;