PDA

View Full Version : Transperancy and DropShadow

mikeymike
December 4th, 2004, 12:10 AM
how do some ppl have that with there gnome 2.8

its like this only linux

im only in windows to show u waht i was talkin bout

http://img61.exs.cx/img61/1962/df-ssquic.th.jpg (http://img61.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img61&image=df-ssquic.jpg)

DoubleDangerClub
December 4th, 2004, 12:30 AM
As far as I know, it's to do with setting up Composite and Rendering options for x.org. I heard that they don't run all that well right now, but I could be wrong. Have you upgraded to x.org or are you running x86?

TravisNewman
December 4th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Have you upgraded to x.org or are you running x86?
DDC means XF86. That's the default in Ubuntu 4.10 Warty. So if you haven't upgraded to Hoary, then you won't have it.

And he's very right, it's quite buggy and not exactly useable at this point.

DoubleDangerClub
December 4th, 2004, 01:31 AM
DDC means XF86.

Doh! Thank you for the correction. :)

I would try the transparency, but I think I'd turn it off after a bit. I did a bunch to my PC once to make it look and feel like a Mac and then I got tired of it. Too much eye candy (I thought I'd never say that). Anyhow, you can still make your terminal see-through in the profile options...it'll show the desktop underneath.

TravisNewman
December 4th, 2004, 03:52 AM
s'ok bro, the *NIX names get pretty confusing. XF86 itself has so many names it's ridiculous. XFree, XFree86, XF86, X11, X...

mikeymike
December 4th, 2004, 04:14 AM
s'ok bro, the *NIX names get pretty confusing. XF86 itself has so many names it's ridiculous. XFree, XFree86, XF86, X11, X...

that sux cause it would be nice to have the feautre in linux

i dont care for the mac look i jus like how the drop shadow makes the windows stand out

Readis
December 4th, 2004, 08:04 AM
that sux cause it would be nice to have the feautre in linux

i dont care for the mac look i jus like how the drop shadow makes the windows stand out

Giv'em time! They will get it working soon enough... personally I glad they don't have it in because it is buggy. It gives people ammo for ripping it apart and saying how nothing works in Linux.

DoubleDangerClub
December 6th, 2004, 05:11 PM
...personally I glad they don't have it in because it is buggy. It gives people ammo for ripping it apart and saying how nothing works in Linux.

Amen to that!
I was telling my friend how good linux was compared to windows and when I started up my laptop, it waited for 15 seconds on the eth0 configuring because I didn't have any internet plugged it and he was like, "yeah, it's so great, look at it stalling and taking forever to start up."

Ugh. When will people learn.

jakeslife
December 24th, 2004, 05:08 AM
You were NOT in Windows "just to show us what you were talking about," you were in Windows because you are a Windows fan...admit it! You like Wndows more than Ubuntu!

You're under arrest. :-P

mr_ed
December 24th, 2004, 04:30 PM
How do you get it to only wait 15 seconds? Mine waits 60. And when I have my wireless card plugged in, it waits 120 if neither are able to connect. :(

I tried adding & to the ifup -a command in the init script, but then GNOME didn't come up properly.

chz
December 24th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Amen to that!
I was telling my friend how good linux was compared to windows and when I started up my laptop, it waited for 15 seconds on the eth0 configuring because I didn't have any internet plugged it and he was like, "yeah, it's so great, look at it stalling and taking forever to start up."

Ugh. When will people learn.

at least we know this will and can be fixed soon if not already a solution out on the net. as for winblows, users would have to wait til the next SP for anything to get corrected. or buy a program for 39.95 and get sum spamware to go along with that.