PDA

View Full Version : What does your UserName mean??

kooolrock
February 23rd, 2008, 11:06 AM
After reading nearly all of What do people's avatars mean (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=702595) by MONODA, and then visting Muagh ha hah hah hah (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=704140)( which was refreshingly different), I felt liking asking everyone "What does your UserName mean??" Plz post ur reply.

Mine was supposed to be coolrock, then became koolrock, and then kooolrock( these were the sequence of email-ids which i tried to have at gmail), the last one is my gmail-id, by the way. So i used it here also.

P.S.: It is actually derived from koolguy which was the yahoo id of my batchmate in my C-programming class nearly 4 yrs ago.

NightwishFan
February 23rd, 2008, 11:08 AM
Mine obviously refers to my devotion to the symphonic power metal band Nightwish. :)

k2t0f12d
February 23rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
Mine obviously refers to my devotion to the symphonic power metal band Nightwish. :)

Who just so happen to be one of my absolute favorite musical groups.

My username is a secret that only those who know the meaning in advance can tell. If you do not know the meaning, it is not important anyway. Both this username and it's alias are unique on the internet, although I know there is at least one copycat somewhere.

Cloudy
February 23rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
It's just a shorter form of my original handle when I first started floating around on the internet, only some ten odd years ago or so. At the time I was obsessed with Final Fantasy VII, and Cloud Strife in particular was my favourite character - so on the first forum I ever registered on I registered as "CloudStrife888".

The handle stuck with me and later on at another forum it was shortened to "Cloudy" and now that's usually what I go by at most places. Hardly unique or anything, but that's fine by me.

spamzilla
February 23rd, 2008, 11:52 AM
My name is in praise of the great lord, Spamzilla, the ferocious meat-based product :)

TeoBigusGeekus
February 23rd, 2008, 12:11 PM
Mine is a praise to one of the greatest comedies in history Monty Python's Life of Brian.
It would be TeoBigusDickus but someone else got it first:(

Arwen
February 23rd, 2008, 12:25 PM
Arwen is the name of a female elf in Lord Of The Rings.It sounded good to me so I chose it.

beercz
February 23rd, 2008, 12:50 PM
When I was setting up my account I was drinking Czech beer.

I love Czech beer:-)

Come to think of it, I love beer period!!!

k2t0f12d
February 23rd, 2008, 02:04 PM
Arwen is the name of a female elf in Lord Of The Rings.It sounded good to me so I chose it.

Why does your Avatar have an inverted Smurf tail? :-s

Kernel Sanders
February 23rd, 2008, 02:04 PM
http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/biography/images/sanders_h.jpg

sanderella
February 23rd, 2008, 02:14 PM
Some Ethiopian ladies couldn't pronounce my name, and Sanderella is what they came up with. :KS

OrangeCrate
February 23rd, 2008, 02:15 PM
The current "orange crate" is a custom painted, dark burnt orange Harley Fat Boy.

garba
February 23rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
been nicknamed garba since ever, it's just short for my surname, that's it

LaRoza
February 23rd, 2008, 02:53 PM
It is the name I have adopted for everything not requiring my real name.

Incense
February 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Back when I was doing improv theater, I would always come up with some off the wall ideas. Someone joked that I had to have to been smoking something good, to which I replied "The only thing I smoke is incense." For whatever reason, it became my nickname, and stuck with me since. Man that was a long time ago too...you would think I'd come up with something new by now.

vishzilla
February 23rd, 2008, 03:02 PM
"Immense Shadow"

forrestcupp
February 23rd, 2008, 03:28 PM
My last name is Cupp. When Forrest Gump came out, some idiot called me Forrest Cupp. So I've used that name on the net for a while.

sayakb
February 23rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Linux is innovation:
*sigh* I kept this after a debate on which is the best: Linux, M$ or Apple.. I fought on this point about the vast capabilities of Linux, it's open source nature, and guess what, my team won :D :D

matthew
February 23rd, 2008, 04:10 PM
Mine is some random word I found on the internet. ;)

odiseo77
February 23rd, 2008, 05:00 PM
Mine is a Spanish name for Ulysses, plus my year of birth :)

azimuth
February 23rd, 2008, 05:43 PM
From Wikipedia:
Azimuth is a mathematical concept defined as the angle, usually measured in degrees (°), between a reference plane and a point. This concept is used in many practical applications including navigation, astronomy, mapping, mining and artillery. The word azimuth is derived from the Arabic السمت ('as-sumūt') which means the ways, referring to the ways or directions a person faces.

My experience with the term deals with magnetic tape heads and geosynchronous satellites. I'm born and bred a farmer and if asked my occupation, that is what I'll tell you. I do have many years of education and experience in the consumer electronics service industry. (for the grammatically challenged, that's a tv repair guy)

axionet
February 23rd, 2008, 05:50 PM
axionet = an axion + net

I just combined the two words.

axion means:
The axion is a hypothetical elementary particle postulated by Peccei-Quinn theory in 1977 to resolve the strong-CP problem in quantum chromodynamics (QCD). In 2005, an experimental search by the PVLAS collaboration reported results suggesting axion detection [1]; however new experiments performed by the PVLAS team exclude this result [2]. The 2005 PVLAS results were problematic because compatibility with the negative results of other searches, such as CAST, as well as astrophysical limits, ruled out standard axion scenarios, while alternative hypotheses have been postulated by other researchers.

net means:
the internet

Had the name for over 10 years now.

-grubby
February 23rd, 2008, 05:53 PM
mine is my real name without any spaces between the first and the last

fatality_uk
February 23rd, 2008, 05:55 PM
I have been involved in gaming for many many man many years. I have used that handle since the first. However since this Fatal1ty upstart came along, people think im copying him, bah http://www.fatal1ty.com/

lswest
February 23rd, 2008, 05:56 PM
lol, my name is a mixture of my initials (L.S.W) and the next 3 letters of my last name, so it's LSWest :P hardly creative, but it works^^

metallicamaster3
February 23rd, 2008, 06:04 PM
favband+famoussong+favnumber= me

bonzodog
February 23rd, 2008, 06:07 PM
Hrm..this is the 3rd thread I think on this subject...I am going to dig through the forum history, and see if I can dig up the other two.
I know RAV_TUX started one about a year ago, and there is an even older one from nearly 2 years ago.

bonzodog
February 23rd, 2008, 06:32 PM
Right, have found them:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=44168
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=332724

Perhaps it's time for a merger and removal to recurring discussions?

kooolrock
February 24th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Who just so happen to be one of my absolute favorite musical groups.

My username is a secret that only those who know the meaning in advance can tell. If you do not know the meaning, it is not important anyway. Both this username and it's alias are unique on the internet, although I know there is at least one copycat somewhere.
Secret?? What's that!!!

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=k2t0f12d&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

kooolrock
February 24th, 2008, 01:39 PM
http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/biography/images/sanders_h.jpg
who is he??

kooolrock
February 24th, 2008, 01:40 PM
favband+famoussong+favnumber= me
good choice.:)

kooolrock
February 24th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Some Ethiopian ladies couldn't pronounce my name, and Sanderella is what they came up with. :KS
so u r the Ethiopian Cinderella!!:)

kooolrock
February 24th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Linux is innovation:
*sigh* I kept this after a debate on which is the best: Linux, M$ or Apple.. I fought on this point about the vast capabilities of Linux, it's open source nature, and guess what, my team won :D :D
good choice:)

Cloudy
February 24th, 2008, 02:01 PM
who is he??

Colonel Sanders. He was the founder of KFC - Kentucky Fried Chicken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Sanders

And "kernel" and "colonel" sound the same, so I assume it's a play on words.

-random
February 24th, 2008, 02:26 PM
who is he??

lol i just had 2 quote this again! Love this old-guy pic :)

i didn't know what random un-related nickname i could use so i just used what i always type in a DotA game, -random

popch
February 24th, 2008, 04:08 PM
pop is what I initial letters and bills with. ch is where I live. Since pop had already been taken in some of the places where I wanted to use it as user name, I ended up with popch in quite a few places.

xelapond
February 24th, 2008, 04:12 PM
xela is my first name backwards, and pond is my last name in German.

pelicanghost
February 24th, 2008, 06:55 PM
pelicanghost is the name I use for everything computer related that I get to choose.
It's my name on Youtube, these forums, other forums, accounts, CoD4, UT3.

I remember awhile ago, I was working on some science fiction, one character would be a "ghost", or someone who traveled through computers.
I also came up with Captain Pelican, for another story. These never formulated, but both names stuck around enough to be come my alter ego.

Vitamin-Carrot
February 24th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Vitamin Carrot

It Just Works For Me

Northsider
February 24th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I live on the Northside of Chicago, and I was born in 1983. Pretty simple.

yellowbread
February 24th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Yellowbread was a 18 lb tomcat I used to associate with. His exterior was more scab than fur most of the time. He got eaten by something bigger about 5 years ago.

By the way, that old guy in the picture I believe is Buckethead's patron saint.

Cyberponcho
February 24th, 2008, 09:34 PM
My name is Juan but my wife used to call me 'juancho' for a time, when a colleage of us heard it for the first time she understood 'poncho' instead of 'juancho' so everybody called me 'poncho'. In order to make it suitable for the cyberworld the logical step was to add 'cyber' and there you have it.

zerhacke
February 24th, 2008, 11:39 PM
It was going to be "Ich Bin Zerhacken" which is German for "I've been hacking" but that was just too long. So I was going to shorten it to zerhacken but forgot to put the n on the end of it. Stupid typos!

DoktorSeven
February 24th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Seven = number that sounds close to my first name (guess)
Doctor: inspired by "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV" -> "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on the Internet"
c->k: Ks make things kool. :)

Thus, DoktorSeven. Frequently shortened to dr7 or doktor7.

LostLake
February 25th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I was drinking an ice cold Lost Lake when I signed up.

uberlube
February 25th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Do you really want me to tell you :lolflag:

AndyCooll
February 25th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Mine is a nickname I was given at church in my teens. Not quite sure why since reality is somewhat different. However it stuck and folk still use it.

I use it on all websites. Pretty early on I actually found that the name had been taken so added the second "l". I've used this version ever since.

:cool:

marvelljones
February 25th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Well, my avatar doesn't fit what my UserName means. I like the 70s-early 80s Marvel Comics version of Captain Marvel. His name was actually Mar-Vell and for those who don't know comics (or older comics) he "shared" his existence with a human named Rick Jones. They each wore the Nega-Bands which when struck together enabled them to switch places one being on Earth, and the other became trapped in another dimension. I just kinda smashed their names together and came up with it.:rolleyes:

quanumphaze
February 25th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I'm studying Physics and came up with quantumphaze two random physics terms I slapped together that sounds cool. But my keyboard is wireless and it missed the "T". Trying to log on the first time took a while.

Mr.Johnny
February 25th, 2008, 01:52 AM
It means that I am very old :( :mrgreen:

divindavid
February 25th, 2008, 03:10 AM
divindavid= i am a varsity swimmer and diver (and i am in eighth grade!) and my name is david plain and simple

Istonian
February 25th, 2008, 03:26 AM
i dont know what my name means. Maybe a citizen of Estonia, but spelled with an I instead of an E. It really means nothing.

hotmonkeyluv
February 25th, 2008, 03:30 AM
I made it up, and now I'm scared to know what I was thinking when I did it.

Trap_
February 25th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Trapdoor was already registered here, and I didn't feel like making up a new alias. ;-)

Jay Jay
February 25th, 2008, 03:41 AM
No profound symbolism, simply my nickname from friends & family :)

ispy
February 25th, 2008, 04:51 AM
My first Nintendo DS had a Spy Optics sticker on it, so i made my name on it ispy, and i just decided to keep it... yeah. nothing else to say here...

bobbybobington
February 25th, 2008, 04:52 AM
I was trying to think of a username for something online ages ago, and I just thought of the most generic cheesy 1950's name I could; Bobby. Then I made a last name from Bob; bobington. put the two together and voila! Bobbybobington. I pretty much use it for pretty much everything online.

/usr/bin/hacked?
February 25th, 2008, 06:14 AM
I woke up one day with this new dir on my hard drive :confused: ...

RJ Hythloday
February 25th, 2008, 07:23 AM
From Sir Thomas More's Utopia ''Hythloday'' was the main character and translated means ''purveyor of nonsense''. RJ = initials.

pastormick
February 25th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I'm not a very creative type and it was way too late when I registered, so it's just my username from work - the only other thing I could come up with was 'weaslesnot22'. 'Nuff said...

dimbulb1024
February 25th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Uhmmm ... what was the question again?

Trail
February 25th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Trailblazer. Hoho.

(From a song in Killer Insinct in SNES, a long time ago...)

stoodleysnow
February 25th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Well at the moment I live in the Stoodley area of Todmorden and I like snow.:KS Unfortunately I didn't allow for:

That I may soon be moving away from Todmorden. Perhaps then I could just say 'was brought up in Stoodley'
That global warming could soon make snow the stuff of myth. Not. But you know what I don't mean... I think.

:confused:

Iam138
February 25th, 2008, 12:02 PM
An ode to that great punk band of of the 70-80's known as the Misfits ( the Danzig days).

desertboy
February 25th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I used to have an amiga game called it came from the desert which was amazing for it's time. Hence Desertboy, I also use Tutu a lot which is simply because it never seems to be taken and the letters are very close together.

Scruffynerf
February 25th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I used to have an amiga game called it came from the desert which was amazing for it's time. Hence Desertboy, I also use Tutu a lot which is simply because it never seems to be taken and the letters are very close together.

Was that the one with the giant ants? If so, I had that game on my old trusty Amiga 500 too!

Scruffynerf. In the original Star Wars, Leia referred to Han Solo as a scruffy looking nerf herder. So, I'm a scruffy nerf (I have been known to be herded), and I've also been known to look scruffy.

Also, I liked it. This is the 2nd internet alias that I have, of 4. The first was hacked and used falsely at a lot of dodgy sites by a former enemy of mine, this is my main one, I have one for work-related stuff, and another for my digital forensics and crypto related activities.

RebounD11
February 25th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I used to be the lead rebounder in my basketball team, and my number was 11, that's why I chose this as my user name.

loserboy
February 25th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I was feeling a bit depressed when i came up with this name 11 years ago for an AOL screenname when i was 12. originally it was loserboy02 because 2 is my fave number.... you would think by now I would have come up with something better....

SomeGuyDude
February 25th, 2008, 09:32 PM
When gmail first came out, I made an account on there to catch all the spam I'd get by signing up for things. I wanted to make it anonymous (haw), thus "some guy dude" was born.

Sadly, my lack of foresight left me open to "someGAYdude" jokes over the years.

exploder
February 25th, 2008, 09:44 PM
My username comes form a 1991 Ford Explorer I had. It was rusted, considered totalled by the insurance company from damage when a girl slammed into the back of it, the front drive shaft was welded together and held in the yoke by liquid nails and many other problems.

The Explorer always ran no matter what and I still regret selling the old heap. My Wife nicknamed the Explorer, "exploder" because she thought it was ready to fall apart.

My username comes from the old Ford that I liked so much.

Tristam Green
February 25th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Tristam Green has a very long backstory as a character from a series of stories and a comic book a friend of mine wrote in our senior year in high school.

He then became my online persona entirely, and everything I touch has some Tristam Green in it :)

mssever
February 25th, 2008, 10:37 PM
People sometimes call me msserver (I guess they think I like Microsoft servers; I don't), but it isn't that.

When I got my first job, all usernames at the company took the form: First initial, middle inital, first five letters of last name. I've since discovered that mssever is never taken, so I use it all over the Internet.

k1dicarus
February 25th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Can you guess mine??

Cha1n5aW
February 25th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Long long ago in a far away urban jungle called Ottawa, I lived outside & squeegeed windows for a living. Since I was into the "punkrocker" fashion at the time. I adorned myself in leather, patchy pants, big boots, and lotsa chains. Some of the "homebums" there nicknamed me "Chainsaw" due to the chains I wore, and since then it just sorta stuck.

- Shawn

Kingsley
February 26th, 2008, 12:15 AM
I'll be honest. I don't think anyone really knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.

No, it doesn't mean San Diego.

Dr Small
February 26th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Mine was the name of the villian in The Hoosier Schoolmaster, and I liked his personality, so I used his name :)

Kabezon
March 12th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Kabezon is a "cooler" way of spelling cabezón, Spanish for "big-headed" xD My friends and some relatives have been calling me like this for years; I believe since middle school, around the 6th grade. They also call me Kabeza (cabeza), which means head. Reason why? Well, obviously I have a big head, duh! lol Also, non-Spanish speakers have called me things like Kabe, Kab, Kaby, which makes no sense, but w/e lol

kaens
March 12th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Some squatter freinds of mine gave me the nickname a while ago, it's kindave a silly riddle with a back-story.

Hallvor
March 12th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Old norse name:

Hall (=flat stone) vor (=guardian)

kuja
March 12th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Mine was the main protagonist in the game Final Fantasy IX ... avatar doesn't match but is from another character (Black Waltz #3) in the game.

spupy
March 12th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Mine doesn't mean anything. Just random name i though up. It is too cute for a guy, lol?