PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu story on C-Net News

canadianwriterman
September 30th, 2005, 02:14 PM
An interesting story about Ubuntu's success this morning on C-Net News:

http://news.com.com/Ubuntu+carves+niche+in+Linux+landscape/2100-7344_3-5886194.html?tag=nefd.top

kleeman
September 30th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Yeah not bad for a Cnet piece. Its a puff piece but gives a pretty good overview. Good publicity for Ubuntu. Brace yourself for another wave of ex-Winblows newbies ;-)

bob_c_b
September 30th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Yeah not bad for a Cnet piece. Its a puff piece but gives a pretty good overview. Good publicity for Ubuntu. Brace yourself for another wave of ex-Winblows newbies ;-)

Yea, this community does handle that kind of thing pretty well though. What we really need is a pop up box when you click on the Hoary ISO links that would read...

"Are you running toward Linux or away from Windows?"

... a little food for thought for new users.

Brunellus
September 30th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Yea, this community does handle that kind of thing pretty well though. What we really need is a pop up box when you click on the Hoary ISO links that would read...

Best idea ever.

poofyhairguy
September 30th, 2005, 05:33 PM

I wish we could have a big disclaimer on the forum:

"Developers do not read the posts here. By posting yet another rant of the failures of Ubuntu, you do nothing more than create flamebait. If you want to reach the developers, use Bugzilla. Have a nice day!"

aysiu
September 30th, 2005, 05:35 PM
I wish we could have a big disclaimer on the forum:
"Developers do not read the posts here. By posting yet another rant of the failures of Ubuntu, you do nothing more than create flamebait. If you want to reach the developers, use Bugzilla. Have a nice day!" Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I have a feeling even if we put that in big red letters at the top of the forums, the appropriate audience would not read it.

poofyhairguy
September 30th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I have a feeling even if we put that in big red letters at the top of the forums, the appropriate audience would not read it.

It would just make me feel better.

kleeman
September 30th, 2005, 06:51 PM
How about: "Ubuntu is absolutely free of charge. Think carefully about the implications of this before installing"?

aysiu
September 30th, 2005, 06:57 PM
How about: "Ubuntu is absolutely free of charge. Think carefully about the implications of this before installing"? That might mislead people into thinking Ubuntu is a piece of crap. It's somewhere in the middle--it takes a little work to set up exactly the way you want it (but there is a lot of good documentation and community support); however, it is quality software.

kleeman
September 30th, 2005, 07:05 PM
That might mislead people into thinking Ubuntu is a piece of crap. It's somewhere in the middle--it takes a little work to set up exactly the way you want it (but there is a lot of good documentation and community support); however, it is quality software.

Fair enough, had not thought of that. How about:

"Ubuntu is quality software produced by thousands of open source developers and is absolutely free of charge. You are advised to think carefully about this before installing"

bob_c_b
September 30th, 2005, 07:44 PM
It's going to be very difficult to make the average user understand that good software is not always about binary choices and click throughs; the majority of users out there use their PCs for mostly web related stuff and that just re-inforces the idea of check boxes and simple choices.

I think aysiu, (the person who runs) oneandoneis2, poofy and many others here have taken time to write some eloquent and thoughtful examinations of the "new user" experience and really nailed it on the head. We don't want to put new people off, I think more people can "handle" Linux better than they think they can. But at the same time (having been involved in several distros over the years) I think many Linux veterans have grown weary of the same comments and negative statements dressed up as "helpful" suggestions. Those comments are even more tiresome when those of us who have used Linux for a while recall how far we have come in such a short span of time.

Probably no easy answer for this kind of thing, but I am continually amazed at the patience this community shows.

poofyhairguy
September 30th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Probably no easy answer for this kind of thing, but I am continually amazed at the patience this community shows.

We were all new once......

bob_c_b
September 30th, 2005, 08:26 PM
We were all new once......

True, but clearly there is a line between "new and trying to understand" and "new and writing off this silly Linux thing", but yes, that is the common factor.

aysiu
September 30th, 2005, 08:26 PM
We were all new once...... I still consider myself new. I'm coming up on my six-month Linux anniversary... just in time for the official release of Breezy!

poofyhairguy
September 30th, 2005, 08:31 PM
True, but clearly there is a line between "new and trying to understand" and "new and writing off this silly Linux thing", but yes, that is the common factor.

Those with the will can get what they want out of Ubuntu. Those that lack it will sit on the sidelines and complain.

xequence
September 30th, 2005, 09:04 PM
CNet isnt highly regarded by me, but it was a good article.

drizek
October 1st, 2005, 12:04 AM
is it really the best idea for ubuntu users to be saying things like

"It's the distro that I recommend to newcomers to Linux because things just work,"

to the general public?

Ubuntu does NOT just work and it is not the best noob distro.

aysiu
October 1st, 2005, 12:15 AM
is it really the best idea for ubuntu users to be saying things like
"It's the distro that I recommend to newcomers to Linux because things just work,"
to the general public?
Ubuntu does NOT just work and it is not the best noob distro. Yeah, that line got me a bit worried, too. Ubuntu's a wonderful distro, but for the uninitiated who expect everything (including multimedia codecs) to "just work," I'd recommend Mepis, Blag, or Linspire before recommending Ubuntu.