PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite Scrensaver

Perfect Storm
September 30th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Mine is 'Endgame'.

It really have a cool and prof look. To see 3D chess bricks moving around can really impress people. Also it's relaxing to watch :)

benplaut
September 30th, 2005, 09:34 AM
i change alot, but i really like most of the desktop morph ones :) (spotlight is SWEET)

openmind
September 30th, 2005, 09:38 AM
I think it's called "Flocks", looks like a massive dogfight with extended contrails.

Blue Vs. Pink:D

hard_i
September 30th, 2005, 09:44 AM
My favorite screensaver is "Blank Screen Only" ;-)

benplaut
September 30th, 2005, 09:47 AM

yah... when on mobile, me too ;-)

<<edit>>

openmind... it seems to be installed, but won't play - did you do anything special to it?

Kvark
September 30th, 2005, 10:57 AM
I perfer random, cause variation is always nice. But to mention one... MatrixView's image trick is pretty cool.

UbuWu
September 30th, 2005, 10:58 AM
electricsheep! :cool:

Rotarychainsaw
September 30th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Substrate is the best. You could probably take a screenshot and sell it to an art dealer.

GeneralZod
September 30th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Mirrorblob(?) using your current desktop is really great, as is kglwatersaver.

bored2k
September 30th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Popsquares

ygarl
September 30th, 2005, 12:10 PM
I like BSOD if only to screw with people's heads when they try to use my PC at work.

IT REALLY makes the IT department freak...

I am a very sad person, aren't I? LOL

xmastree
September 30th, 2005, 12:16 PM
I like Euphoria, but it's not included in Breezy... :-(

lorenco
September 30th, 2005, 12:18 PM
My kids ...:D and other cool photos...

Maggot
September 30th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Ditto.

kahping
September 30th, 2005, 12:24 PM
no screensavers for me. it's a habit from Windows i guess. those pesky things always interrupt my video viewing pleasure. always happens everytime after a re-format.

i find it's simpler to just disable the thing than tweaking the settings. tweaking never works for me anyway :-P

kahping

kassetra
September 30th, 2005, 01:02 PM
fuzzy flakes! ... except the green makes me feel weird... I'd prefer sky blue with the blossoms. :)

XDevHald
September 30th, 2005, 01:20 PM
The ants crawling around in their ball like things like the american gladiators show, not sure if they show that anymore on TV :D

skoal
September 30th, 2005, 01:51 PM
I perfer random, cause variation is always nice. But to mention one... MatrixView's image trick is pretty cool.
If MatrixView is the one which makes faces out of those glyph dealamajiggers, then yes, I vote for that one too...

\\//_

Hobbsee
September 30th, 2005, 02:04 PM
BSoD - I love that one!

The one that I use is "Solar Winds" and is part of the rss-glx package...it's so pretty!

drogoh
September 30th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Hyperspace from the Really Slick screensavers (in Linux and Windows flavors!) It's bundled in the default Breezy install and possibly Hoary (definitely Breezy)

Note: Hyperspace is really hard on the processor / graphics controller. Watch at your own risk. (higher end rigs won't have a problem)

Kapre
September 30th, 2005, 02:43 PM
I liked AfterDark (in the dark side :) ) but in real (linux) world its the Matrix Screensaver.

kahping
September 30th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Hyperspace from the Really Slick screensavers (in Linux and Windows flavors!) It's bundled in the default Breezy install and possibly Hoary (definitely Breezy)
Note: Hyperspace is really hard on the processor / graphics controller. Watch at your own risk. (higher end rigs won't have a problem)

I'm running Breezy but i only see Hyperball, Hypercube and Hyper Torus. is there a package in the repositories that needs installing?

kahping

Ampersand
September 30th, 2005, 08:15 PM
I like any of the GL ones, but probably Flying toasters.

DoeRayMe
September 30th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Wormhole, but cant sit and watch it, makes me dizzy :D

PatrickMay16
September 30th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Blank screen. Why? Because I had problems with the computer locking up when I had a screensaver, and found that the blank screen option didn't cause such a problem. But if I could have it working properly, my favorites are "hypercube" and "FlipFlop".

liquidtenmillion
September 30th, 2005, 09:58 PM
I like Phosphor+fast fading(all the way). Then i tell xscreensaver-demo to use a URL for text-based screensavers, and then put in a link to an RSS feed.

That way when the screensaver starts it pulls news stories/posts/etc from the rss feed and displays it at a font size big enough to be seen and read from far away(i can glance up and see the news/etc. from far away whenever i want)

transactionlogfiller
September 30th, 2005, 10:22 PM
There are a few good ones, I like the idea of random but there are just too many awful screenburners that you need to uninstall. Who likes the big red and yellow blocks, for example? Whos idea was that?

morphodone
September 30th, 2005, 10:54 PM
well, no one mentioned xjack yet so here's a plug for it...

niobe_logos
September 30th, 2005, 11:24 PM
For messing with other people's heads, I prefer BSOD.

For messing with my own head, I prefer molecule (trimethylxanthine, anyone?)

UbuWu
September 30th, 2005, 11:57 PM
I like Euphoria, but it's not included in Breezy... :-(

What happened to it??? :( It was one of the best on hoary...

Hmm... very strange, none of the Really Slick Screensavers (package rss-glx, installed by default) show up anymore in xscreensaver...

UbuWu
October 1st, 2005, 12:04 AM
What happened to it??? :( It was one of the best on hoary...
Hmm... very strange, none of the Really Slick Screensavers (package rss-glx, installed by default) show up anymore in xscreensaver...

Euphoria is there: /usr/lib/xscreensaver/euphoria

Filed a bug: http://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16726

UbuWu
October 1st, 2005, 12:09 AM
And everyone should have a look at these beautiful pictures:

http://www.reallyslick.com/

I really hope them not showing up gets fixed in the next two weeks...

matthew
October 1st, 2005, 12:10 AM
BSOD because it amuses me

Halftone
Halo
Interference
because I like psychadelic-type stuff

Lux Perpetua
October 1st, 2005, 12:46 AM
Flux from the Really Slick package. It's the best screensaver I've seen since After Dark. Flux with the "Regular" preset just plain rocks.

Perfect Storm
October 1st, 2005, 07:38 AM
And everyone should have a look at these beautiful pictures:
http://www.reallyslick.com/
I really hope them not showing up gets fixed in the next two weeks...

Hyperspace looks awesome....must...have...*drools*

NeoChaosX
October 1st, 2005, 07:48 AM
GLMatrix fan here. I love the zoom and rotating effects giving a different vide of the falling code.

cactus
October 1st, 2005, 08:08 AM
umm... does 'blank' count?

vayu
October 1st, 2005, 08:09 AM
The really slick screensavers. I had them on windows. When I found them on Hoary I knew I was going to be alright with this OS. Euphoria is my favorite of those.

darkmatter
October 1st, 2005, 08:13 AM
Euphoria has always been my favorite.

flexo888
October 1st, 2005, 09:25 AM
Flurry, it's a great screensaver. :cool:

23meg
October 1st, 2005, 09:39 AM
popsquares (4x4 blue to black, at slowest), substrate and mismunch.

Jenda
October 2nd, 2005, 09:51 PM
Any idea as to how one can blank the screen on command? I need this when I leave the computer overnight. I like having screensavers on normally, though, so I don't want to set blank screen as the only one.

scaine
October 12th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Euphoria is there: /usr/lib/xscreensaver/euphoria

Filed a bug: http://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16726

I'm running Breezy and also didn't have the RSS screensavers, even though they were showing installed in Synaptic.

Just open a terminal and run "rss-glx_install.pl". You'll have to kill the screensaver daemon first (I used the screensaver applet on the Gnome toolbar).
All the RSS screensavers should be accessible now. Sweet sweet Euphoria.

Scaine

erikpiper
October 13th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Flying toasters!!

Danielle
December 10th, 2005, 10:34 PM
my two favourite screensavers are BouncingCow, it gets better the longer it goes. and i'm using XMatrix at the moment.

http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/images/smilies/83/bigcool.gif

dubz
December 10th, 2005, 10:37 PM
GLmatrix is better

Danielle
December 10th, 2005, 10:41 PM
GLmatrix is better
it looks really 3D, but it's too slow!

dubz
December 10th, 2005, 10:45 PM
you need you graphics card drivers installed then:)

benplaut
December 10th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Any idea as to how one can blank the screen on command? I need this when I leave the computer overnight. I like having screensavers on normally, though, so I don't want to set blank screen as the only one.

try messing around with 'xscreensaver-command'

Virak
December 10th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Flurry FTW.

mrt75
December 10th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Flurry :)

Danielle
December 10th, 2005, 11:35 PM
you need you graphics card drivers installed then:)
i was thinking about that after i posted. i haven't installed any drivers at all yet :p i need the S3 ProSavage drivers. i'll have alook in Synaptic is that where i should look or do you think i should look at the site?

Danielle
December 10th, 2005, 11:38 PM
i've already got the ones from Synaptic. i'll have a look at the site. thanks for waking me up :D

Katron
December 11th, 2005, 12:36 AM
I like the wormhole. There are lots of other good ones. I've never seen an OS with so many lol