PDA

View Full Version : InstallFest Flyer (ideas wanted)

soldats
February 23rd, 2008, 12:05 AM
Soup!
so ive been working on this flyer and i need to see how everyone feels about it. id also like some input for new ideas to add and maybe other modifications. if anything looks familiar i basically took ideas from other flyers and meshed it together in a way i thought would be enticing and upstanding.
so my idea was to have this be a full sized flyer in color to be eye catching. in thinking this i thought it would be cool to make the flyer look similar to a semi-custom desktop. if you can catch my drift i added the dock at the bottom which should have some text labelling the icons to show what linux can do and the basic apps it has. i cant think of anything else to type so thats my current idea. andything else you guys can come up with will be appreciated. please let me know.

johnc4510
February 24th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Soldats: Love the start, we'll discuss what text is needed at the sunday meeting. Thanks for starting this flyer out for us.=D>

soldats
March 2nd, 2008, 11:51 PM
So these are some of the ideas all in one i have. There are multiple versions i have as well. You may see them at http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/delawilbur/ if you wish. I'd like all the input i can get. Eddie belives it looks too busy which I somewhat aggree with *BUT* i want this to be community effort not just one or two people. So with a combined knowledge base I think it can turn out swell.

Tyche
March 3rd, 2008, 04:27 AM
this is a flier I did for the Marketing Team, that I think would have uses on the LoCo team level. The file is a ping.

soldats
March 4th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Heres a newer verion of the flyer we were woking on on sunday. so its more based off tyches because it looked good. so let me know :)

soldats
March 5th, 2008, 04:27 AM
so this is a slightly revised vresion again. there may be spelling errors and sentences that could be better.
maybe theres something we can take out to make more room for a date|location or maybe give a little more info about what an installfest is. please let me know

Technophobia
March 5th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Why is new look on the flyer? I thought that was push to the next version of Ubuntu.

kennymc0
March 5th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I think that the flier looks great there are just a couple of grammatical things that stuck out at me.well actually just one that I saw. under the longevity section the last sentence says "You wallet and the environment will thank you." Shouldn't it be "Your wallet and the environment will thank you"? I know that it's just missing an "r" but i thought i could put my 2 cents worth in. Other than that though i think it looks great.

soldats
March 6th, 2008, 08:03 AM
here is another revised version. hopeully it is better.
some editing is still needed but i added a section for
date/time/place so help is wanted. im very busy with
some other stuff so i cant think alone :)

kennymc0
March 6th, 2008, 08:15 AM
The Note that was included in the what's new section needs to be in the flier but i dont know if it should be in that paticular spot. might be able to create another section to mention some examples of what people would need to bring. something like this:
What Should I Bring?
You will need all the components for your computer to provide the best experience. This includes not only the computer itself but monitor, keyboard, mouse, and other things you might want to try.

just thought i would give an example of what i was thinking. It can be changed and hashed down or whatever but i think it would flow better as something like that. :)

soldats
March 6th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Thank You all for our suggestions, ill make the changes for the NOTE: section, that idea is better. its what we couldnt think of earlier. technophobia i wasnt sure as well as tyche and johnc4510 but i believe the default look is a little different afaik. if you can please let me know and i will make changes accordingly.
well thats all for now :) byebye

soldats
March 8th, 2008, 01:38 AM
ok guys i think we are getting very close to a somewhat finished product. this version should be corrrectly aligned for text and header text except for date location.
the reason i added the tux was mostly becasue this is linux and tux is linux i wanted it facing the ubuntu logo on the top but down here looks better. it can go or stay i just thought it add something to look at. it may not be the best idea ever but at least its an idea.
so now we have a little more room so if possible is there something anyone would like to add information wise? i think the spacing is pretty good so maybe we can add a little bit of what an installfest is or something else.
so just let me know how you feel and please look for spelling errors and anything else. THANKS

soldats
March 8th, 2008, 01:40 AM
oops forgot the upload

kennymc0
March 8th, 2008, 02:32 AM
great job cant think of anything that could make this better. great work soldats

IanMcewen
March 10th, 2008, 01:00 AM
My comments:

Title: More spacing between the orange border and the text; moving the "ubuntu arizona team" closer to the arizona map would create more space to do this. Put quotation marks around "Hardy Heron."

After this I'll just paste what text seems better; there are some grammar problems and some ambiguity issues which I can elaborate on if questioned:

What's New:
Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron," greatly improved over previous versions.

Applications:
Including: a Web Browser, Email Client, Remote Desktop Application, CD/DVD Burning Software, Office Productivity Suite, Instant Messaging Client, Audio Player, Games, and thousands of others for free installation!

Support:
Ubuntu 8.04 is an "LTS" or Long Term Support release, which means it will remain supported for three years, or five years for server installations.

New 8.04 LiveCD:
Ubuntu 8.04, like previous editions of Ubuntu, includes a LiveCD, which allows you to try out a complete Ubuntu installation without needing to change your current settings at all.

Growing Community:
Ubuntu has a growing community of dedicated, worldwide volunteers ready to give advice and support. In Arizona, you can find us on IRC (irc.freenode.net #ubuntu-us-az) or online (http://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArizonaTeam).

What To Bring To The InstallFest?
If you'd like to try out Ubuntu for yourself, attend our InstallFest at the date and location listed above, and you can try out Ubuntu and, if you so choose, install it with our help! You may even keep your current operating system and boot both.

Please bring along all necessary components of your computer system. For a desktop, you will need your monitor, tower, mouse, keyboard, and any peripherals you wish to use, such as wireless cards and external hard drives. For a laptop, make sure to bring along the laptop, your AC adapter, and peripherals. If you have Ethernet cables, please bring those as well.

Why Ubuntu?
The Many Benefits:

Complete:
With a large and growing repository of free-of-cost software, you can quickly and easily install anything you may need for desktop, laptop, or server use. This is made easy with a variety of tools including a comprehensive Add/Remove Programs dialog as well as several options for lower-level package management. But, you don't have to install anything - Ubuntu is a complete, functional operating system from the moment it is installed.

Secure:
Ubuntu, and Linux in general, is inherently more secure than other options. Ubuntu is invulnerable to viruses and spyware, programs can be kept under rein with AppArmor Application Security (installed by default), and an easily configured firewall with a variety of frontends prevents unwanted intrusion. Moreover, Ubuntu includes an automatic update system that keeps your operating system and software up-to-date and safe. The entire operating system updates every 6 months, and the upgrade process is secure and easy; you won't need to reinstall everything every time a new version is released.

Speed:
Ubuntu avoids much of the "bloat" other operating systems contain. Therefore, Ubuntu requires only a fraction of the system resources these other systems require, which leaves more available for what you want to do. This also helps Ubuntu run better on older and less-capable machines.

Longevity:
Ubuntu's design means it can keep running on older machines longer, rather than requiring you to update your hardware every time a new version is released. A computer running Ubuntu or another Linux distribution can run many years longer than other computers, and an older computer running another system can be rejuvenated with Ubuntu. Your wallet and the environment will thank you.

Freedom:
Ubuntu is, and always will be, free of cost and free of restrictions. All updates, software from the repositories, and community support is completely free, and you may do whatever you want with your system and with Ubuntu, whenever. It's your system - Ubuntu lets you do what you want with it.

--

Anyway, just suggestions (of course), and I can elaborate if need be. Looking good, though, and thanks for all your work - I'm just excellent at nitpicking!

kennymc0
March 10th, 2008, 03:29 PM
i know this is kinda picky too but i kinda think that it might be better to put the "What to bring to the installfest" section near the top or something because it's at the bottom right now. some people might not want to read the entire thing so having that section near the top would make it more likely to be seen.

just a thought someone can tell me that im wrong but that's just my opinion :)

soldats
March 17th, 2008, 05:04 AM
umm yea

soldats
March 24th, 2008, 05:29 AM
how does this look for phoenix

soldats
March 24th, 2008, 05:38 AM
hfjkhjlfhjlfhjl