PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Office 2008 for Linux (Home and Student Edition)

conphara
February 22nd, 2008, 12:53 PM
Theoretical poll.

What would you do if you one day came into your local computerstore and saw, right next to Office 2008 for Mac, a rather similar box but different: Office 2008 for Linux?

Price tag, well since it's a theoretical poll, the price is the same as for the Mac version. Full Version $149.95 (Source: US Macstore).

fatality_uk
February 22nd, 2008, 12:58 PM
Ignore it. OOo more than suits my needs. There's also AbiWord, gnumeric etc on lighter machines.

It won't happen anyway, but soon, thanks to the EU, we will have an import filter for MS office docx files :D

djbsteart1
February 22nd, 2008, 12:59 PM
install open office and save myself the 100 bucks! then go to the pisser

el_ricardo
February 22nd, 2008, 01:00 PM
download it illegaly

k2t0f12d
February 22nd, 2008, 01:02 PM
Just Home and Student editions? Surely you meant;

Home Basic
Home Premium
Student
Professional
Enterprise, and
Corporate

conphara
February 22nd, 2008, 01:02 PM
damn, you guys are fast. Already several replies while I was making the poll.

Mateo
February 22nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
download it illegaly

hahahhahaha, i honestly almost fell out of my chair reading this. Kudos to you, my friend.

But to the topic, I'd consider getting it, depending on the price. I'd probably use everything except Excel, because Gnumeric is just too sweet.

tdrusk
February 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM
If it was absolutely positively required for what I NEED I would get it. But it's not, so OO it is :)

ryanhaigh
February 22nd, 2008, 01:18 PM
Hey if I can use a plugin like suns that lets me save in odf or ooxml is by some miracle made a truly open standard that i can open on pc's that don't have the latest version of MS office [edit: or open in google docs] I would use it, I might even consider paying for it. I have become quite fond of the ribbon interface (particularly the fact that it can be minimized) over the last few weeks at my new job. I have never liked open office, I used Claris Works before MS Office and probably prefered that but its not available and probably can't handle doc/docx format.

Honestly for documents I would probably prefer to use a text editor like geany now with latex (being able to comment out text appeals to me) but I have found that using the other apps in an office suite is a necessity in the environment in which I will be working so I need a good office suite and I prefer MS Office even if it has to run in a VM for the moment being able to aquire a native version would be great.

Lord DarkPat
February 22nd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Jump up, say "YIPPIEEEE", and walk away.

Joeb454
February 22nd, 2008, 01:24 PM
Get it for free as compensation for the extreme shock it would cause me :)

Lord DarkPat
February 22nd, 2008, 01:24 PM
Why? keep guessing :D

Cloudy
February 22nd, 2008, 01:30 PM
I'm not sure -- part of me says I'd not particularly care. I already use OpenOffice on both Windows and Ubuntu, and it serves me just fine. However, were I given the chance I'd probably at least try it out.

spamzilla
February 22nd, 2008, 01:36 PM
If I can help it, i'll never buy another piece of MS software ever again

argie
February 22nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
Ouch, that's expensive. I'm never paying that much for a piece of software. Thankfully, I already have the Academic edition. Powerpoint just seems better to me, but for the rest OO is awesome.

koleoptero
February 22nd, 2008, 02:13 PM
I would only use ms office if they actually paid me to.

rude_lee
February 22nd, 2008, 02:19 PM
yep OO the way to go

Bachstelze
February 22nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
None answer applies to me.

KOffice ftw!

r4ik
February 22nd, 2008, 02:27 PM
OO nothing else,not in my lifetime again any MS period.

Mithrilhall
February 22nd, 2008, 02:46 PM
The only way I would ever use Office 2008 is if Microsoft paid me to.

Mr. Picklesworth
February 22nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
Gyaaa! You insensitive clod! I almost choked on my breakfast reading that thread title.

Had to read the summary before I realized it was retorical. Damn, that was weird...

laxmanb
February 22nd, 2008, 05:08 PM
Actually, college students get Office Ultimate for $60, so I wouldn't buy it. MS Office for Linux would be *huge* though...

bruce89
February 22nd, 2008, 05:20 PM
Actually, college students get Office Ultimate for $60, so I wouldn't buy it.

Office Ultimate? Is that one which reads your mind instead of typing?

MS Office for Linux would be *huge* though...

About 1GB probably.

FuturePilot
February 22nd, 2008, 07:03 PM
Only if I absolutely needed it for something. Right now Open Office suites me just fine.

Erik Trybom
February 22nd, 2008, 07:13 PM
If I had a job I'd buy it. Being a poor student, Open Office will have to do.

I mostly use Latex for my reports anyway though.

intense.ego
February 22nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
I can't comprehend how so many of you guys think OpenOffice is in the same league as MS Office 2003, let alone MS Office 2008. There are so many little things that are just so much harder in OO than in MS Office. Don't get me started on Presentation, it takes you about ten steps to change the background to a custom image.

For basic word editing, etc, OO is fine, but it is just so much less intuitive otherwise.

Mithrilhall
February 22nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
I'll use OpenOffice and Google's free tools before I go the Office route.

Quillz
February 22nd, 2008, 08:00 PM
If Office 2007/2008 was available for Linux, yes, I'd buy it.

PryGuy
February 22nd, 2008, 08:17 PM
I just hate Micro$oft!!!

angryfirelord
February 22nd, 2008, 08:36 PM
I can't comprehend how so many of you guys think OpenOffice is in the same league as MS Office 2003, let alone MS Office 2008. There are so many little things that are just so much harder in OO than in MS Office. Don't get me started on Presentation, it takes you about ten steps to change the background to a custom image.

For basic word editing, etc, OO is fine, but it is just so much less intuitive otherwise.
I for one refuse to pay $400 for an office suite.

Ok, so Microsoft made it a little easier, but that little amount adds up to so much. I'd rather stick with something that doesn't change standards with every new release.

Quillz
February 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
I for one refuse to pay $400 for an office suite.

Ok, so Microsoft made it a little easier, but that little amount adds up to so much. I'd rather stick with something that doesn't change standards with every new release.
Office has changed standards all of once. Prior to 2007, it has used the .doc extension standard since the first release back in 1989. The 2007 change to the Open XML (.docx extension) is a better standard, frankly. It's more open in nature, though not completely free, open source.

fatality_uk
February 22nd, 2008, 08:51 PM
Office has changed standards all of once. Prior to 2007, it has used the .doc extension standard since the first release back in 1989. The 2007 change to the Open XML (.docx extension) is a better standard, frankly. It's more open in nature, though not completely free, open source.

In what way? How has it changed standards? It's brought in another file format to lock people into. Open? How exactly? MS are being FORCED, I repeat, FORCED to provide documentation surrounding various file formats. They are not Open in ANY real sense of the word. If this were true, OOo would import *.docx smoothly and cleanly, it doesn't.

macogw
February 22nd, 2008, 08:54 PM
I picked the OOo option, but really, I use LaTeX for typing all of my papers, so it's really "I have LaTeX." If I need to open a .doc, first I try Anti-Word, which turns it into a plain text file. If it has formatting that makes that not work so great, Google Docs.

Try opening a Word 95 template with Word 97. It'll break. Try opening anything made in a pre-2000 version of Office in Office 2003. It's not going to look exactly the same. The data will probably all still be there, but the formatting will be jacked up. Microsoft changes how they do it with every single version.

Not sure how MS Office is more intuitive than OOo. The Windows version has you set the formatting for your document in the File Menu. How is that intuitive? OOo and the Mac version of MS Office do it logically--they put it in the Format Menu.

ryanhaigh
February 23rd, 2008, 04:02 AM
Try opening a Word 95 template with Word 97. It'll break. Try opening anything made in a pre-2000 version of Office in Office 2003. It's not going to look exactly the same. The data will probably all still be there, but the formatting will be jacked up. Microsoft changes how they do it with every single version.

More importantly try opening Office 2000/2003 documents in Office 95/97. I had a friend who had been given a computer with windows 95 (and a P2 with 32MB of EDO! ram) and at the time I didn't have the spare computers I have lying around now so she had to stick with what she had. Of course our Uni used Office 2003 and you couldn't buy Office 2000 any more which was the latest version that would 'work' on Windows 95 with the docs produced at uni. Fortunately open source came to the rescue in the form of Abiword but MS file formats suck, which is why I qualified my previous response by saying that I must (and already can) be able to use ODF or OOXML if made fully open and implementable in all office suites.

jrusso2
February 23rd, 2008, 05:19 AM
Everything I need to do with MS Office I can do with Open Office including opening and saving documents in docx if I have to as I have installed the Novell plugin.

I only would buy software if there was something i had to do that I could not do with free software.

k2t0f12d
February 23rd, 2008, 05:31 AM
Not sure how MS Office is more intuitive than OOo. The Windows version has you set the formatting for your document in the File Menu. How is that intuitive? OOo and the Mac version of MS Office do it logically--they put it in the Format Menu.

Good God, man! That isn't innovation! That's dIaBoLiCaL!!!

amingv
February 23rd, 2008, 09:28 AM
Theoretical poll.

What would you do if you one day came into your local computerstore and saw, right next to Office 2008 for Mac, a rather similar box but different: Office 2008 for Linux?

Price tag, well since it's a theoretical poll, the price is the same as for the Mac version. Full Version $149.95 (Source: US Macstore).

I'd sit for hours at www.gnu.org, waiting for Stallman go give me a good reason not to buy it. :)

Now, if they GPL it, I may have a look at the source...

MONODA
February 23rd, 2008, 10:11 AM
hmmm.... I can do almost everything I want in OOo that i would want to do with MS office except:
in presentations you cant make a button to go to the previously visited slide which can be annoying
I think some equations in exel are not present in OOo calc.
and thats it. also i have seen MS office 2008 on my bros mac and it is really slow and it has a few bugs (which you cant report!)
IMO OOo is the best since the extensions are really helpful :) (i love pagination, minimize presentation and bookmarks!!!

Trail
February 25th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I voted "NO WAY. I've got OpenOffice at home. Works just fine.", but it's actually "NO WAY. I've got OpenOffice at home. Works BETTER." for me.

slimdog360
February 25th, 2008, 12:23 PM
how about a simple no.

dark_harmonics
February 25th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I actually had to say "yes" because i do have a business need for MS office. Currently at work, all the documents my company uses are MS office files. The program that really pisses me off that doesnt work with anything else yet, is Access. Its not even that good of a program but the MDB proprietary format forces me to run more apps in my windows virtual. I want to one day get everything working in my native linux, and that would put me one step forward.

Also, I have to say that microsoft outlook is my favorite mail program. I use evolution to access my gmail account, and it is almost as good, but is very buggy. I just find that in the case of outlook 2007 I just like the design and features. Really i could live without it. If i could just get native MDB and access to their stupid sharepoint to work, I could delete my virtual XP. I wish i had enough power in my company to switch them to open source (and in the case of access and sharepoint better) alternatives.

For my personal use, i would never purchase it, because as previous posters state: Open Office is a really cool application! I cant tell you how many people ask me if i have a copy of office they can have and i say "Why dont you just download open office for free?". Its like they cant believe that something like that could really be free.

Arkenzor
February 25th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Now why in the name of God would I actually want to pay for this when I'm installing OpenOffice on my windows machines?

shruti
March 7th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I voted for OOo simply because it SHOULD be all I need. Believe me, after I'm out of school, with no need for PowerPoint and Publisher, I probably won't use MS Office. As of now, however, I have MS Office Ultimate (the $60 student discount version) on Windows and OOo on a separate Linux computer that is almost always used by someone else.

I know that, with some extra time, I could achieve most or all of my PPT requirements in Presentation, but as a busy student-athlete-musician-volunteer-scout-leader who spends her free time programming and studying, I don't really have that much time. I'm determined, by the way, to learn to use LaTeX before college so that I can write my academic papers without MS Office and EndNote.

toupeiro
March 7th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Short of the reality that I'd be using OOo for my own personal use and never MSO, if I absolutely needed MSO, I'd get my work to pay for it, or buy it myself and write it off on my taxes as required job related matrerials, which if anyone actually uses MS-Office at home and does any work from home at all, I hope thats what you are doing...

Alien.col
March 7th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I just got so accustomed to using Excel that I would definitely look at the performance on the product. I would hold up on buying it though.

oldsmobile_mike
March 7th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Where's the option for "I'd borrow it from a friend and make a copy"? :lolflag:

Seriously, if it's released at a reasonable price, I'd probably buy it. Wish I didn't have to, but when even some of the basic functionality of Office isn't available in OOo yet (hello, "click on the left-hand side of the page to select all the text on that line"), what's a user supposed to do?

mdsmedia
March 7th, 2008, 10:06 PM
First thought...there's ONE YES!!! followed by 3 NO WAY!!'s and nothing in between.

How about a "MAYBE!!!"??

The only one that fits my opinion (although I like OOo so that one's OK), is the last one. No Way I'll support MS.

On the other hand, ........nahhh, I don't need Office. The only thing that may draw me to it is to see what it's like, and it reminds me of the olddddddd version of IE I'm forced to use on Win 2000 at work atm. It's uglyyyyyyy!!

But I've got Office 2000 on my WinXP partition and I don't use it, so I doubt I'd WANT 2008.

The only reason I have Office installed at all is for some programs which will export to Excel and won't recognise anything else.

mdsmedia
March 7th, 2008, 10:26 PM

Can Office 2003 open or save ODF files?

Can Office 2003 save to pdf?

Can I upgrade Office to the latest version for free, whenever I feel like it?

I can't believe you think Office is in the same league as Open Office.

Het Irv
March 7th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Jump up, say "YIPPIEEEE", and walk away.

This is what I was going to post... but here it is.

PurposeOfReason
March 7th, 2008, 10:32 PM
The real question is would is support native GTK+ and QT. If so, I'd be done to get rtorrent up. It would also depend on how OO3 performs. All you who think OO2 is so great obviously haven't bug tested it. It crashes with many themes and integrates horribly. I get many segfaults and there are quite a few iffy menus.

mdsmedia
March 7th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I just got so accustomed to using Excel that I would definitely look at the performance on the product. I would hold up on buying it though.For 4 1/2 years I spreadsheeted about 80% of my time at work. That was Lotus 123.

Excel came along, I got used to it. I still use Excel at work about 50% of the time.

I still use OOo at home, on both Windows and Linux....although I have Office 2000 installed on Windows.

You'd soon get used to Calc if you got used to using it instead of Excel.

angryfirelord
March 8th, 2008, 02:32 AM
All you who think OO2 is so great obviously haven't bug tested it. It crashes with many themes and integrates horribly. I get many segfaults and there are quite a few iffy menus.
Can you provide what you were doing when the segfaults occurred? (like what theme and such) I want to see if I can replicate the same errors.

PurposeOfReason
March 8th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Can you provide what you were doing when the segfaults occurred? (like what theme and such) I want to see if I can replicate the same errors.
One is half fixed. Just grab about any murrine theme and go at it. If the stepper size is 2 or less, it crashes. One from a long time ago (when I first started using it) was if I dragged an .mp3 onto it, it tried to copy the file and not the name. It doesn't integrate easily with the elegant brit theme. Those are all I have off the top of my head.

Palmyra
March 8th, 2008, 03:13 AM
If it were free and open source, regardless of who makes it, I would use it over OpenOffice. Microsoft Office is much better, but I don't use it because it's not open source and it is not free.

Besides, I've never, ever, paid for software (except when it was included with a laptop sale or something).

juxtaposed
March 8th, 2008, 03:16 AM
I certainly wouldn't buy it, no matter what OS it was on.

I'd just keep using abiword and gnumeric.

Het Irv
March 8th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Open Office is definatly buggy, I hope they work on that more than anything.

darklemming54
March 8th, 2008, 04:43 AM
I would definitely buy it. Microsoft Office 2008 is the best office suite I've ever used. Open office is much slower, much uglier and doesn't have a lot of the features that Microsoft office has (though, for some people, its enough).

davbren
December 18th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I would buy it for sure. I don't accept that everything on Linux has to be Open and free. There's alot of Microsoft hating in the Linux community. Some of which is justified. This however is not. you can't possibly believe that OOo is as good as MS Office. It's just not. MS Office is probably MS's kingpin software now. How many people think that macs would be as popular as they are now if it weren't for office being compatible with them?

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with OOo. Its a perfectly "fine" Office suite. It just isn't as good as MS Office period. Why do you think that people are so desperate to get Office 2007 to work on linux. OOo comes preinstalled on Ubuntu after all. Students will have a real need for MS Office on their machines. It is disappointing that I have to use Windows when I want to make my docs look great without the effort. I could probably do a comparable job on OOo but its the time factor. It will take much more time on OOo than on MS Office.

I think there is room in the vast Linux community for non-free software. I would be lost without my graphics drivers and my media codecs. I will be happy to use OOo as my sole office suite when it is *as good* as MS Office. Until then I will stick to what I know.

Eisenwinter
December 18th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I hate all *Office variants (yes, inlcuding OpenOffice), I find those programs to be way too bloated, all I want to do is edit text.

I use medit/nano.

SuperSonic4
December 18th, 2008, 12:46 PM
+1 for nano

but I would not buy it because it is superfluous to my needs as I already have office 07 running with Crossover.

Excel 07 outclasses OO.o calc

Giant Speck
December 18th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I would definitely buy it. I love Microsoft Office. OpenOffice is awesome for a free program, but I prefer MS Office.

It's too bad they killed FrontPage, though. :( I miss that program.

halovivek
December 18th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Since with the problem of license and money. i quitted MS office and i am using Open office for more than 3 years and it is really great. i suggested most of the friends and there office and they are using it for cost cutting. they are also contributing in open office testing.

bryncoles
December 18th, 2008, 01:04 PM
open office was (along with firefox and winamp) one of my first steps into Free software, and was the one that made me think "Hmmm, you can have reliable, high quality and free software. maybe i can take this further".

yes, MS office has additional features, quirks and different ways of doing things. but it has additional features, quirks and ways of doing things which i never used, and dont seem to miss now i dont have access to them. (which isnt surprising, given i dont know what they are).

and im writing a PhD thesis in OOo!

that said, one of my friends in another department swore off MS office, many moons ago when it screwed up the formatting on his PhD thesis. its LaTeX all the way for him now, and if i plan staying in academia much longer (which i do) i keep thinking i should follow suit.

any serious academic i know laughs in the face of *office. real scientists use LaTeX!

but well done OOo for being a contributing factor in my rise to f/oss!

*** Edit ***

oh yeah - and i have used MS office 2008 for macs (my department is riddled with them) and i found that to be the most frustrating computer experience i can remember. i just couldnt be doing with that clumsy interface! so if a linux port of MS office was a port of MS Office 2008 for mac, i wouldnt even blink.

davbren
December 18th, 2008, 02:05 PM
+1 for nano

but I would not buy it because it is superfluous to my needs as I already have office 07 running with Crossover.

Excel 07 outclasses OO.o calc

Does Office 07 "just work" with crossover??

kamitsukai
December 18th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Does Office 07 "just work" with crossover??

Some little niggles are present (like you can't copy and paste images in...) but otherwise it works fine. And i would definatley buy (if not borrow...) a copy as ms office linux as it would be the only one which I could possibly use in conjunction with college

gjoellee
December 18th, 2008, 03:16 PM
OOo has all my neads, but i find Microsoft office better to use. However I think this is yet the only good peace of software Microsoft has ever made...

spupy
December 18th, 2008, 09:31 PM
It will go against everything that I like and believe in,
but I will buy it.
Office is the ONE MS thing that I used and still like.

Protip: Insert an image in OO Writer and then try to rotate it...

jenkinbr
December 18th, 2008, 09:44 PM
If MS wouldn't have raped the interface, then yes, I might consider it.

el mariachi
December 19th, 2008, 12:56 AM
I don't even use OOo for text anymore.. I'm in love with LaTeX *.*

Bachstelze
December 19th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Protip: Insert an image in OO Writer and then try to rotate it...

Haha, thanks for that! I'll be sure to keep it in mind for my dear OOo zealots. :D

PhoenixMaster00
December 19th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Office 07 looks all shiny and stuff but im a student i dont want to pay 100 of my english pounds for that! Openoffice is perfect for my needs does everything saves in MS formats as long as i can write essays an do basic presentations im happy,

klange
December 19th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Maybe I'm just not understanding that problem... (http://oasis-games.com/~klange/ooo_rotate_image.png)

OOo has never been very good, especially on Linux. It's only good qualities are Office compatibility and PDF export. It's slow, buggy, and looks like something from the early 90's. And that's how it will always be because Sun doesn't care, the developers don't care, and the users don't complain enough.

I've started writing all of my papers in XHTML, and I'm trying to ween myself off of Impress for presentations (but since all I ever use are static slides, it doesn't really matter what program I make them in...)

Redrazor39
December 19th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Ok. I was wanna get this across. IMHO, OpenOffice.org SUCKS.

It's heavy, I run into bugs all the time (esp. with the UI) like now where the human theme won't apply and I'm stuck with this sickly gray thing (but that's probably my fault for screwing it up anyway), The UI is TERRIBLE and really annoying to learn/use, the menus are FULL like they have more than the Preferences menu in Ubuntu, features are hard to find, and all in all it's just not fun to use.

The only thing I like is the autotype feature (and that it's free as in beer and speech).

Otherwise, OpenOffice.org = EPIC FAIL

If only there was something light, easy to use, had some good necessary word processor features, and worked fast and reliably. iWork on a mac seems to get close, but using it is a slight pain. I'm starting to move to text editors now because word processors are starting to suck so much.

Giant Speck
December 19th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Anyone remember ClarisWorks? That was a great program. :lolflag:

bruce89
December 19th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Office 07 looks all shiny and stuff but im a student i dont want to pay 100 of my english pounds for that!

What about €100? Our currency is screwed.

If only there was something light, easy to use, had some good necessary word processor features, and worked fast and reliably. iWork on a mac seems to get close, but using it is a slight pain. I'm starting to move to text editors now because word processors are starting to suck so much.

AbiWord and LaTeX come to mind.

MikeTheC
December 19th, 2008, 04:47 AM
See, for me, I've never had an issue with OpenOffice, other than I can't get it to deal with OpenType fonts for some strange reason. It handles all the TrueType fonts I throw at it, though.

Now, to be fair, I haven't really used OO very much, but that's entirely because I haven't had much need to use office productivity software. Maybe I'm unique in this regard, but I just don't do that kind of stuff on my computers.

I used to work for Sony, and from time to time I would use Excel to do information sheet layout work (phone numbers, department info, etc.) and I used a combination of Note Pad and MS Word 2003 to do text cleanup, and Excel (also) for alphabetizing things. In other words, I used that software in a completely "utility" manner, and not for the purposes for which any of it was really intended.

And am I like the only person here who hasn't done any presentation work? So, PowerPoint/Keynote/Impress are apps I've seen, fired up once or twice to look at, and then promptly put away and never used again. I haven't the foggiest how to use them, and unless something comes up now that I'm going to college, I doubt I ever will.

kamitsukai
December 19th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Office 07 looks all shiny and stuff but im a student i dont want to pay 100 of my english pounds for that! Openoffice is perfect for my needs does everything saves in MS formats as long as i can write essays an do basic presentations im happy,

As long as you have a college/university email address you can get office 2007 Ultimate edition for a little under 40.00 and that offers available in a lot more countries as well

http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-uk/default.aspx

el mariachi
December 19th, 2008, 10:03 AM
is it really worth it?
I spent a weekend teaching myself LaTeX and I fell in love. Word (and OOo for that matter) can't simply compete with it. And a lot of you guys don't need special accents (I need to use a latin font set) you cna use XeTeX and OpenType fonts which are simply gorgeous.

It can also do slides and presentations.

But, on topic, I also dislike OOo - it's big, ugly and buggy. I have it installed because I need to open word docs from my classmates. For spreadsheets there's always gnumeric (and even some Cli apps!)

Liviu-Theodor
December 19th, 2008, 11:39 AM
For me the only things easier to do in Microsoft Office (MSO) than in Open Office Org. (OOO) are: making an artistic page border (with images), and making a diagonally shaped line in a table in the text editor. In rest all other activities are easier done in OOO than MSO. And about that version, MSO 2008, when I first saw it, I exclamed: "What a hell is that? I don't understand nothing!". And if is hard for me (with my first text processors being Wordstar and Wordperfect, and the first spreadsheet program Lotus 123), then how it is for a child? Of course, I am able to learn MSO 2008, but only if forced to, not just because it exists. In fact, OOO covers well all my needs for an office program: text documents, spreadsheets, presentation, simple image editing. For more complex image editing, I use gimp on Linux and Ulead PhotoImpact 5 (yes this old) on Windows (btw, for me it did not work under wine - does anyone know how to do?).

upapilot
December 19th, 2008, 04:01 PM
There'll be two moons in the sky when i buy Microsoft software for Linux no matterhow good it is

Bachstelze
December 19th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I LOL'ed. Some people are really funny.

Frak
December 19th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I'd buy it. Even though I hate the 07-08 interface compared to the old 03, I still have a better feel for it than OO.o or Abiword.

jenkinbr
December 19th, 2008, 04:54 PM
AbiWord and LaTeX come to mind.

Might have to try LaTeX - can anyone point me to good tutorials and a GUI to get started?

Tristam Green
December 19th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I'd pass. I've gotten used to my OOo for Windows and for Linux, so there'd really be zero need for me to use it.