PDA

View Full Version : The most friendly/unfriendly forum you've been to

Lord DarkPat
February 22nd, 2008, 12:28 PM
Friendly:
UF:KS
AfterDawn Forums.

Unfriendly:
InsanelyMac - I post a thread and there are 200 views without a single reply!? I ask a question,the reply = "USe search", I reply = "I can't find anything". No more replies. I also think most of the users are unwelcoming to newbies.
Well, some of them are very friendly, but not the majority.

Cloudy
February 22nd, 2008, 12:34 PM
I've never really been to any unfriendly forums, as far as linux help/linux -based forums go.

billgoldberg
February 22nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
This forum is really friendly.

The worst forum I used:

imdb (I don't think adults use them)

el_ricardo
February 22nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
yeah the majority of linux forums are quite friendly, on the whole its gaming forums that are rudest, because they're full of kids that don't know any manners!

Kernel Sanders
February 22nd, 2008, 02:34 PM
The most friendly has to be this one.

The most unfriendly has to be Neowin. The mods are just so heavy handed over there it's untrue.

Rhapsody
February 22nd, 2008, 04:09 PM
I can't recall a single 'most friendly' forum I've been too, a lot are tied on that.

As for the least friendly, probably the now defunct Cherryroms board. Moderator power was considered supreme, with all pretences of democracy being thrown out of the window. Random editing of posts as shows of power were common, and persistent idiocy was sometimes considered a bannable offence. Curiously enough, I became a moderator there for quite some time...

juxtaposed
February 22nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
All forums have good and bad people. This one is no exception, any other forums I've been on have been no exception.

Iceni
February 22nd, 2008, 04:35 PM
4chan is rather unfriendly :)

Kernel Sanders
February 22nd, 2008, 04:38 PM

I hear similar things about the somethingawful forums :D

Saying FTW gets you a ban there :P

Quillz
February 22nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
I think this board pretty unfriendly towards any non-Linux user.

justin whitaker
February 22nd, 2008, 04:55 PM

Try the Gentoo or Vector Linux forums. At least here, you don't get a RTFM reply that often. People actually take time to help here.

Kernel Sanders
February 22nd, 2008, 04:56 PM

Really? I'm a complete idiotic n00b, and I have got nothing but help and encouragement here?

Menthol
February 22nd, 2008, 05:02 PM
Most friendly, This one

Most unfriendly, probably the Everquest 2 forums

Quillz
February 22nd, 2008, 07:53 PM
Really? I'm a complete idiotic n00b, and I have got nothing but help and encouragement here?
If you need help, sure. But this board doesn't allow anyone to use any OS other than Ubuntu/Linux. If you run Windows, you're a horrible person, if you don't get people to switch from Windows, you're a horrible person, if you even mention Windows being a viable OS that works for you, you're a horrible person.

notwen
February 22nd, 2008, 07:56 PM
If you need help, sure. But this board doesn't allow anyone to use any OS other than Ubuntu/Linux. If you run Windows, you're a horrible person, if you don't get people to switch from Windows, you're a horrible person, if you even mention Windows being a viable OS that works for you, you're a horrible person.

What about those ebil mac users? =p

Quillz
February 22nd, 2008, 08:01 PM
What about those ebil mac users? =p
Pretty much the same. This board is unfriendly because it proclaims "choice," so long as you "choose" to use Ubuntu/Linux and nothing else.

SomeGuyDude
February 22nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
This is one of the friendliest, no doubt.

When it comes to unfriendly, there's one winner: a bodybuilding forum called GetBig. I post there and it's my old stomping grounds, but if you're not thick skinned as hell you're going to be driven away in short order.

kooolrock
February 22nd, 2008, 08:18 PM
Friendly:
UF:KS
AfterDawn Forums.

Unfriendly:
InsanelyMac - I post a thread and there are 200 views without a single reply!? I ask a question,the reply = "USe search", I reply = "I can't find anything". No more replies. I also think most of the users are unwelcoming to newbies.
Well, some of them are very friendly, but not the majority.
well said bro. U raise a v.v.valid point. Hope it is addressed to, in the future.

notwen
February 22nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
Pretty much the same. This board is unfriendly because it proclaims "choice," so long as you "choose" to use Ubuntu/Linux and nothing else.

I use Debian on a regular basis and also use OSX some, since my GF is a die-hard apple user. I haven't had any ill will or disrespect when referencing a OS other than Ubuntu. There are a ton of threads regarding dual-booting Windows along-side XP where no one is getting bashed. For every 20 Ubuntu zealots, there is always the few who are genuinely offering help and know how. All forums will have this to a degree, the size alone of our member- base increases the amount of arrogant zealots, but the few that do offer genuine help should not be disregarded simple due to the ones who preach and shove their opinions down the throats of new users.

lespaul_rentals
February 22nd, 2008, 08:28 PM

Hah, you think 4chan is unfriendly, try 7chan!

Well, I think it should be like that. Do we really want a bunch of Windows users flooding this place? It is an Ubuntu support forum...

Quillz
February 22nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
Hah, you think 4chan is unfriendly, try 7chan!

Well, I think it should be like that. Do we really want a bunch of Windows users flooding this place? It is an Ubuntu support forum...
There don't appear to be many Windows user flooding the board in the first place. It comes more from those stupid zealot threads where they feel they must go on a holy war against Microsoft to change other people's computing habits for some stupid reason.

SomeGuyDude
February 22nd, 2008, 08:48 PM

Do you have any evidence of this? I've seen tons of threads down here where people said "how can I convert my friend/sister/mom/coworkers to Ubuntu?" and a bunch of people say "you gotta wrangle with the possibility that Windows works for them." I say it a lot, myself.

Hell, there's even a Windows subforum here.

That said, it's an UBUNTU EFFING FORUM. Do you hop into the Xbox 360 forums and bitch that people aren't welcoming to you and your PS3?

dgoodma
February 22nd, 2008, 08:55 PM
The Q&A link in gOS takes you to a rather difficult one to navigate, ask, find, very limited. FAQLY I think it is called. One of the posts does take you to a better forum, http://cafelinux.org/gosforum/index.php

I think "they" should just skip the default one, and go to the one above. Or come here and expand to include gOS?

lespaul_rentals
February 22nd, 2008, 08:58 PM
That said, it's an UBUNTU EFFING FORUM. Do you hop into the Xbox 360 forums and bitch that people aren't welcoming to you and your PS3?

+1.

Quillz, I've seen a lot of your posts where you seem to attack anyone you may think is a zealot or has an a strong love for Ubuntu and hates Windows. You're sort of an anti-zealot and to be honest I think you take it too seriously. Just a thought.

mysticrider92
February 22nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
Try the Gentoo or Vector Linux forums. At least here, you don't get a RTFM reply that often. People actually take time to help here.

I have asked a few ultra-n00b questions at the Gentoo forums and always gotten a good response. They much prefer it if you read and try to solve the problem on your own, but seem to understand if you can't figure it out.

The Ubuntu Forums have always appeared friendly and helpful in my opinion. Every forum has a few rude or unhelpful people, but I don't really see that here.

Quillz
February 22nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
+1.

Quillz, I've seen a lot of your posts where you seem to attack anyone you may think is a zealot or has an a strong love for Ubuntu and hates Windows. You're sort of an anti-zealot and to be honest I think you take it too seriously. Just a thought.
That's because I feel it's important to be as fair as possible to all sides of the issue. If you dislike that, then so be it. I understand that this is Ubuntu Forums and thus there will be bias towards Linux, but I still don't think stupid, pure anti-Windows threads are really truly necessary here. I don't know if that makes me an "anti-zealot" or not, but if it does, oh well.

Æniad
February 22nd, 2008, 09:27 PM
You wanna see unfriendly check out http://bibleforums.org/forum/
go in there and troll about your Buddhist fiancee and you can get banned within five minutes.

SomeGuyDude
February 22nd, 2008, 09:32 PM
That's because I feel it's important to be as fair as possible to all sides of the issue. If you dislike that, then so be it. I understand that this is Ubuntu Forums and thus there will be bias towards Linux, but I still don't think stupid, pure anti-Windows threads are really truly necessary here. I don't know if that makes me an "anti-zealot" or not, but if it does, oh well.

If you can show me threads where people are flamed for saying they prefer Windows, I'd like to see them. And don't point to the "lol MS is evil" threads that pop up in the Community Cafe now and again.

I want to see evidence that UF is actually hostile to Windows Users. Otherwise you're just talking out of your *** here, pal.

justin whitaker
February 22nd, 2008, 09:35 PM

No, they just laugh at you because you don't have any cool titles to play. :)

I keed, I keed.

tadcan
February 22nd, 2008, 09:41 PM
Quillz I am a windows user who has posted two questions in the windows section. Each time members did there best to help me.

Vitamin-Carrot
February 22nd, 2008, 09:48 PM
worst forum i have ever been too was the counter strike source section of http://www.gpforums.co.nz

some serious n00bs in that one

Dr Small
February 22nd, 2008, 10:09 PM
This forum has been the friendliest that I have ever been too.
Three of the rudest and unfriendiness forums I have ever been at, would be:

MyBB Community (http://community.mybboard.net)
(I was just recently banned for laughing at a post...)

DrPoodle (http://drpoodle.com)
(I think I was harassed on my first post... )

CriticalSecurity.NET (http://criticalsecurity.net)
(I haven't been banned, but the folks here are rude, unfriendly and foul mouths)

Lord DarkPat
February 22nd, 2008, 10:11 PM
DAMN!!! I was afraid of this!
<sarcasm>Let the flaming begin</sarcasm>
Well, I do have a tiny problem here. I say "windows" and then there's 4 pages of flaming. You get my point??!

Erik Trybom
February 22nd, 2008, 10:53 PM
Ubuntuforums is very good and friendly to beginners. It's particularly impressive because it's so large. Small forums where something like 20 people discuss a niche topic tend to be nice, while large computer forums often get their fair share of trolls, know-it-alls and so on.

The Debian forums over at Debian.net are probably very good for finding help, but friendly isn't exactly what I'd call them. Check out this link, where a thread called "Debian Turns 14 Today!" is turned into a flamewar within seven posts: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=18130

NightwishFan
February 22nd, 2008, 10:56 PM
The most unfriendly forum I have ever been to would have to be Terra-Arcanum. My english was not so good then. They IP banned me for some odd reason, like posting in the wrong section. :confused:

Iceni
February 22nd, 2008, 10:59 PM
Blizzard battle.net forums are also pretty bad, but mostly because it is hardly moderated and full of trolls:)

glupee
February 22nd, 2008, 11:13 PM
I kinda see your point. I've read a few posts that allude to this. Hell I've even seen a whole lot of mac's better than microsoft despite it being... any way i'm not going to get into that.

These are still really friendly forums though, I've disagreed and agreed with lots of people without fear of being flamed (not that it really matters cause all i have to do is stop reading :D). And been able to get help or at least a courteous response by simply asking.
:guitar:

divindavid
February 22nd, 2008, 11:17 PM
laserpointerforums.com is great and nice
ipodnova.tv/forums is great and nice

Pethegreat
February 23rd, 2008, 12:04 AM
on the whole its gaming forums that are rudest, because they're full of kids that don't know any manners!
I know how you feel. I posted regularly at a gaming forum for close to 4 years, then I stopped. The forum was in the process of falling apart. A massive influx of new members ruined the small community feeling.

I say ubuntu forums is 50/50. Yes I have recived help on most of my problems, but some never got resolved. A question gets burried in the list of threads in only hours. There are friendly people on here, but there are some bad ones as well.

I mainly use fourms just to talk to people about things. Why spend time and money to go out and meet someone with similiar intrests, when those people are a google away?

maybeway36
February 23rd, 2008, 12:11 AM
http://www.s2beta.com/ has lots of great information, but they are pretty darn unwelcoming to newcomers.

Iceni
February 23rd, 2008, 12:28 AM
I know how you feel. I posted regularly at a gaming forum for close to 4 years, then I stopped. The forum was in the process of falling apart. A massive influx of new members ruined the small community feeling.

I say ubuntu forums is 50/50. Yes I have recived help on most of my problems, but some never got resolved. A question gets burried in the list of threads in only hours. There are friendly people on here, but there are some bad ones as well.

I mainly use fourms just to talk to people about things. Why spend time and money to go out and meet someone with similiar intrests, when those people are a google away?

I am a moderator at a gaming forum, and dare I say we are the best moderated gaming forum on the internet? Yes I do:)

But I know what you mean. There are a million bad posters and trolls on gaming forums.

uberlube
February 23rd, 2008, 12:57 AM
I love Ubuntu forum, the people are very helpful and nice. Fast response time too. The only other forum i really chat in the animenation.com forum, which is good too.

LightB
February 23rd, 2008, 01:39 AM
None of the ubuntuforums seem unfriendly to me as far as users in general. The only thing I don't like, as far as actually finding answers, is that it seems you have to wade through oceans of irrelevant comments to find the good tip that might help you tweak something. This is why generally I prefer the ubuntu wiki for hard answers, but it would be nice if it was more complete. Not that the forums are being intentionally unfriendly in this case.

If you want unfriendly, there's tons of such forums out there. In truth though, most forums out there are more unfriendly due to bad moderation than because what users do. I admit trolls/flamers don't affect me in the least. One bizare thing about chaotic forums like those flamer/troll pits is that inciting reasonable discussion is the trolling there. That's really the thing for me, it doesn't matter how unfriendly, unreasonable and/or illogical most forum users are somewhere, even then you will often find people willing to discuss and reasonably argue something with sincerity, and without censorship.

gn2
February 23rd, 2008, 01:50 AM
I posted a few times on the UK Webuser magazine forum and the posts were deleted because I had posted a question about Linux in the Security section.
They don't have a Linux/Open Source section, it's Bill's way or the highway.

Not exactly welcoming.

Flying caveman
February 23rd, 2008, 07:09 AM
I'd hate to be a moderator over on the comcast forums. Its filled with complaints because they're always changing there websites around, and changing how things work. Almost all issues going without a replies. Its not a happy place.:( http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/

Presto123
February 23rd, 2008, 08:50 AM
LOL...It's nice to pick at Windows and I enjoy posting in those forums. But, how many here actually BASH users because they use Windows?

I think some people are being too sensitive to these threads and think it's directed at them, personally because they think that we HATE them or something.

Nay, I say! Nay!

Nicest in my opinion would probably be this one minus the Backyard.

Worst would have to be the late Facebattle.com forums. Shoddy moderation and overzealous/power-mad moderators I've ever seen. Users were really bad, sort of like watching religion/political bashing in the backyard.

k2t0f12d
February 23rd, 2008, 09:07 AM
People frequently come back on something you post either with something they've totally made up, or assume that because you are for one thing you are automatically against something else they percieve to be the opposite, but aren't actually mutually exclusive. Overall 50/50.

Lord DarkPat
February 23rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
Well, I think that linux users tend to be more mature than normal computer users. So, in essence, know their etiquette, be it online or in speech.
I myself am a kid(the youngest one on UF probably[12]) but I thankfully have the brains unlike thos teenage hippies on other "general" forums.

And that's the end of it .

fatality_uk
February 23rd, 2008, 02:52 PM

I wouldn't say horrible, but you have to understand this is a Linux forum, NOT a Windows forum. If you have points or issues with Windows, there's even a Windows section!!! (I haven't seen many Windows forums with a Linux section???)

If Windows works for you, great, but espousing Windows on a Linux forum is a "red flag to a bull".

The fact that I have posted here for what I consider a LONG time indicates that I feel very happy here.

sayakb
February 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM
I find this pretty friendly.. people are really polite..

sayakb
February 23rd, 2008, 03:49 PM
@fatality_uk

LOLZ... LMAO.. ROTF
Your signature... LOLZ...

zerhacke
February 23rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
I really like Darkness Forum (http://forum.darkness.com/index.php)

OrangeCrate
February 23rd, 2008, 04:13 PM
It's pretty friendly here, and a great source of information on Ubuntu specifically, and Linux in general.

I do have to admit however, that there are times you have to hold your tongue (read that your fast fingers on the keyboard) when someone posts...

I'm a complete noob, I didn't read any documentation, I didn't search for any answers to my problems and try to learn from the articles, threads, whatever, and I've borked the installation because Ubuntu sucks, so I'm going back to Windows because at least there, I know how to take care of viruses and spyware, and I don't have to look at a brown screen!

Oh well...

fatality_uk
February 23rd, 2008, 05:14 PM
@fatality_uk

LOLZ... LMAO.. ROTF
Your signature... LOLZ...

Sorry gone for good. What do they say, a change is a good as...

linfidel
February 24th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I think this forum is one of the friendliest forums around, and I've participated in a lot. Some of the usenet linux forums really attack anyone who implies that Windows does anything well. Long ago, when I was first trying linux, I would sometimes say something like "How do I do this? In Windows, I would just blah, blah...". Then, for a week or 2, there would be pages of flames accusing me of being a troll, a Bill Gates shill, a representative of satan, etc. I would then give up and go back to Windows.

The worst forum I think was a newsgroup, alt.fan.dave-barry, or something like that. I made a mistake of mentioning his web blog, and got attacked to no end for that. This is a forum that usually has about one message a day on a good day, and there must have been a dozen or two against me for bothering them with a post about dave-barry's blog, rather that whatever they thought was important. I, of course, never returned, but they might still be flaming me. :)

The only thing bad about this forum is that people try to be too helpful, and there is a lot of bad advice that is likely to do more harm than good. It's not intentional, just bad advice from people who don't really understand what they are talking about.

sajro
February 24th, 2008, 02:40 AM
My favourite forum I ever used is hands-down this one. I love how everyone is just so helpful and you can have an intelligent conversation.

I used to play RuneScape (the developers have since ruined it by dumbing it down to much; besides, I don't play games much anymore) and used RuneHQ and Tip.it forums. RuneHQ was a giant wildfire; that is, full of flames and very little help. Tip.It was simply centered around a few members (you could count on one hand) and occasionally devolved into personal attacks and other flames...and the moderators were Nazis.