PDA

View Full Version : Forum applet?

karlo
February 22nd, 2008, 12:04 PM
Why not make an applet similar to GMail checker, only it checks your posts, if someone replied to it and checks new posts on this forum, specially on this section.

That way, the support here will really be 24/7 ...:lolflag:

adi_das
February 22nd, 2008, 12:13 PM
Post this thing in Ubuntu Idea pool.

Trail
February 22nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
Just guessing here, but can't you do it somehow with RSS?

billgoldberg
February 22nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
That is a good suggestion.

++

Maybe they can put it in hardy by default (if it gets created).

Perpetual
February 22nd, 2008, 07:38 PM
Regarding the forum applet, I voted No as I would never use it. I monitor the forums all day but I do not need or desire anything on my panel.

Would I mind if someone made it and others used it? Of course not. My vote was No also because I do not want it on the panel by default. As with the deskbar applet (or whatever it's called) I would remove it immediately.

karlo
February 27th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Regarding the forum applet, I voted No as I would never use it. I monitor the forums all day but I do not need or desire anything on my panel.

Would I mind if someone made it and others used it? Of course not. My vote was No also because I do not want it on the panel by default. As with the deskbar applet (or whatever it's called) I would remove it immediately.

You have to add/install it manually, it will not be included by default, or included, but not enabled by default. This is for the good support guys.:)

pmasiar
February 27th, 2008, 10:19 PM
This is for the good support guys.:)

Who will implement it? You I hope?

Do support experts need it? Do you have some thread where you discussed functionality?

I hang on Programming forum quite a lot, but I do not think I would use it - yet another plugin which can mess something. And because it would not be used by that many people, it would be in beta all the time - yet another reason to not use it, sorry. I hate wasting time tracing bugs in tools I need don't really badly.

Or is this a solution looking for a problem?

If you are programmer, there are plenty of projects which need developers, you can join any of them - even one in my sig :-)

Forrest Gumpp
February 27th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Post this thing in Ubuntu Idea pool.

I didn't even know there was an Ubuntu Idea Pool!

But I Googled it, man!

And I RTFM! This is what Manuel says: "The Idea pool is a special web page that anyone can edit. It is a structured page full of ideas on how to improve Ubuntu. Once ideas mature, they move on to become Specs, which are detailed blueprints of future Ubuntu features."

You get to the Ubuntu Idea Pool by going right to the very top of any page, mousing over 'Community', clicking on the option 'Get involved' that displays in the mouse-over drop down list, then clicking the 'Idea Pool' link on that page.

I'm busy right now, got to go and make some bread, man, but that pool looks good. I'll be back for a swim as soon as I can get the time.

Good one, Karlo. Might see you later at the pool.

Puma, Puma, Puma!

Forrest Gumpp
February 28th, 2008, 11:32 PM
This announcement has just appeared in the Community Cafe sub-forum: "Ubuntu brainstorm is out: post your ideas and vote!". See: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=710218

The Ubuntu Brainstorm site is at: http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

The Ubuntu Idea Pool is a different place. Its address is: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IdeaPool

Just might help in avoiding any confusion, and seems to be a bit of relevant feedback here.

I don't know whether adi_das was correct to suggest your topic should be posted in the Idea Pool, but if it in a general sense was correct, the new Ubuntu Brainstorm site might give you two bites at the cherry with this idea, Karlo.

Congratulations and well done to the Forum Staff for Ubuntu Brainstorm. It looks good.