PDA

View Full Version : Linux people are like VW vs HONDA people.

ODF
February 22nd, 2008, 03:55 AM
Why so many linux users are acting like they are superior ? I mean as myself someone who is promoting linux I still can understand why so many people are using windows and I seam to understand why they aren't dumb to do it.

Linux is great ... but windows has it. Even with a hardcore marketing linux wouldn't do what windows is doing. Windows sucks on so many things, but it is the very best and by far for the average joe.

Can you stop acting like you're better because you have time to spend on computers. I made that thread because I just spent some time on the community cafe reading threads about making fun of windows users.

Sorry for my English I speak French

Love you :KS

:popcorn:

Whiffle
February 22nd, 2008, 04:01 AM
Actually your english is dandy.

I used Windows for the first 18 years of my life. I knew my way around windows so well it was great. Right now I'm not certain I could successfully install drivers on it...

I switched because I was curious. I stayed because I found linux to be better.

IMO, windows is only in the position it is in because of marketing, and the fact that for so long it was pretty much the only game in town as far as the desktop goes. That doesn't make it better, only the most common.

I try not to act like I'm better, but its hard not to when windows crashes...it makes me laugh :)

As for all the others, good luck. Rabid linux advocacy is annoying, but you'll never get them to stop.

steveneddy
February 22nd, 2008, 04:10 AM
VW !! Bwaa ha ha ha ha!

Honda, Baby!

p_quarles
February 22nd, 2008, 04:12 AM
I say people should use whatever works for them.

Unless it's Emacs. I support long prison sentences for Emacs users.

kool_kat_os
February 22nd, 2008, 04:14 AM
I say people should use whatever works for them.

Unless it's Emacs. I support long prison sentences for Emacs users.

:lolflag:

Istonian
February 22nd, 2008, 04:16 AM
Windows is where it is right now because of it's going after the third party apps in the beginning. If apple would have done that maybe apple would be the evil empire that M$ is portrayed to be.

aysiu
February 22nd, 2008, 04:18 AM
Windows sucks on so many things, but it is the very best and by far for the average joe. Not really. The best I've found for "average joe" is Mac OS X, but even desktop Linux is better than Windows in this regard. For more details, read this article about installing Windows on the Eee PC. (http://star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2008/2/21/prodit/20333575&sec=prodit)

Here's an excerpt:
With the default Xandros Linux the Eee PC is a great device for technophobes and kids looking for an easy-to-use notebook with large, friendly icons.

However, for the knowledgeable enthusiast, I highly recommend junking the Xandros Linux and installing Windows XP – it'll turn the Eee PC from a kiddie toy to a fully functioning, butt-kicking little notebook. That's right--the technophobes should stick with Linux. The knowledgeable enthusiast should use Windows.

amingv
February 22nd, 2008, 04:22 AM
Actually I'm more of an Aston Martin person myself.:)

Just don't mind it. It's part of human nature and it happens in all aspects (even INSIDE the linux comunity):
-VI(M) vs EMACS
-Python vs Perl vs Bash
-KDE vs Gnome vs Xfce
-My father vs your father

Everybody is bound to think that what they use/have is superior, that's why they use it. Just use what you like.

ODF
February 22nd, 2008, 04:24 AM

Just don't mind it. It's part of human nature and it happens in all aspects (even INSIDE the linux comunity):
-VI(M) vs EMACS
-Python vs Perl vs Bash
-KDE vs Gnome vs Xfce

Everybody is bound to think that what they use/have is superior, that's why they use it. Just use what you like.

Nice logic, but you're not a better or superior person because of your personal choices =)

p_quarles
Python vs Perl vs Bash
Heretic! It's Java!

;)

kool_kat_os

-VI(M) vs EMACS
-Python vs Perl vs Bash
-KDE vs Gnome vs Xfce

....and sometimes they dont know what they are talking about...:)

ODF
February 22nd, 2008, 04:26 AM
VW !! Bwaa ha ha ha ha!

Honda, Baby!

I loved how I pwned all the B18c5 / h22 Civic back to the track with my 92 golf VR6 :D

amingv
February 22nd, 2008, 04:34 AM
Nice logic, but you're not a better or superior person because of your personal choices =)

Exactly my point. Just don't mind them (us).

Heretic! It's Java!

;)

I like coffee too, but I don't want to grind my beans :)

hkgonra
February 22nd, 2008, 04:40 AM
???

All I know is I have never driven or even sat in a VW or Honda that I liked , and I do like linux.

phrostbyte
February 22nd, 2008, 04:45 AM
???

All I know is I have never driven or even sat in a VW or Honda that I liked , and I do like linux.

I'm more of a Subaru person myself. :confused: Does this mean I am not allowed to use Ubuntu?

Ehtetur
February 22nd, 2008, 04:49 AM
What's up with your mini rant on linux users?
And what's up with your whole VW and Honda people thing?

Oh wait a minute... you're Canadian... Never mind! :twisted:

ODF
February 22nd, 2008, 04:54 AM
What's up with your mini rant on linux users?
And what's up with your whole VW and Honda people thing?

Oh wait a minute... you're Canadian... Never mind! :twisted:

Please dont call me Canadian, I'm from Québec =(

:KS

Damn I love that star even if it looks super gay.

ODF
February 22nd, 2008, 04:55 AM
I'm more of a Subaru person myself. :confused: Does this mean I am not allowed to use Ubuntu?

There's the subaru vs lancer thing for you =)

amingv
February 22nd, 2008, 05:05 AM
Please dont call me Canadian, I'm from Québec =(

:KS

Damn I love that star even if it looks super gay.

Sorry, my Canadian lore is very limited, but, what do you call people from Quebec?

toupeiro
February 22nd, 2008, 05:26 AM
I'm a linux user, but I don't have an opinion between Honda's and VW's. (Probably because when I am being a hobbiest and not tinkering in linux, I'm tinkering with my 380RWHP 1969 Torino GT Fastback)

I'm not saying its superior ... I just like what I like :-)

mkendall
February 22nd, 2008, 07:51 AM
Sorry, my Canadian lore is very limited, but, what do you call people from Quebec?

Snooty Canadians

k2t0f12d
February 22nd, 2008, 08:27 AM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2004/20040312h.jpg

kcfoxie
October 20th, 2008, 08:59 PM

-VI(M) vs EMACS
-Python vs Perl vs Bash
-KDE vs Gnome vs Xfce

So true.

I am a Mac user whose tired of Apple's premium for their name. Back before the Intel switch, when Macs had hardware features like the three finger salute was coded in ROM/Firmware and not in the Mac OS Software for force a reboot (and the keyboards had power buttons), Target Disk Mode, Firewire ports... all of this has been eroded away by Apple.

Now for $1100 you get... a crappy Intel with Mac OS X.

Sorry, kids, but the Mac OS GUI isn't worth the price to me. So I moved to Linux. Only to find the without flash, a PPC Mac is basically dead in the water! So.. I've sold that hardware and moved to cheap old x86 Intel PCs running Ubuntu or Puppy Linux.

Onto the car analogy. I googled Linux VW... why, I don't know. Regardless my car -- a 2006 VW Jetta TDI -- runs on open source fuel: biodiesel. The local places make it out of veggie oil (used of course) and chicken fat. It smells like fries, has a lower CO2 output (and the jury's out on if the NOX is higher or lower, depends on the feed stock). Most importantly, anyone with time on their hands can turn oil or fat into fuel via well documented processes online.

This is VERY much what I like about Linux. It just works on most any hardware, might need some tweaking, but it works. I have an old Celery 1Ghz with 256MB running Puppy in RAM... with GUI and networking... it's just fine. Ubuntu on my EEE, just fine.

I don't ask a lot: just long uptimes, web support, and being able to read any formatted hard drive I stick into the thing (even HFS+). Linux does that. I can make it look like Mac, Windows, or neither. Hell if I want to be old skool I can work out of a terminal or three. For the car I ask 575 - 750 miles driven on less than 15 gallons of fuel consumed (42-50mpg), and a 500,000 miles lifespan (my dad's 86 Golf Diesel just turned 430,000), and heated seats :)

In the end there are no wrong choices, only the right ones for you.

Oh and to the guy who said he'd not been in a VW, while I'd trade the 06 for a Subie Diesel, you should give the Jetta SportWagen a try, thats if you like wagons. No 4x4, but it's still a nice FWD vehicle. Look for the Audi A4 Avant TDI in the coming years if you need 4x4 and a wagon. The A3 and VW Rabbit diesels should be here by end of 2010!!

crimesaucer
October 20th, 2008, 11:40 PM
This post made me miss my old VW Vanagon..... (as my Honda Accord falls apart)

As for Windows Vista..... I would have no need for it if I owned a mp3 player that worked with Linux (it's my own fault for using such an old iRiver T30)..... and my HP webcam (which I don't use anyway) doesn't work good with the linux-uvc driver (won't record correctly, no sound).

I don't play any video games, and don't use photoshop, I'm happy with GIMP 2.6 and Inkscape, everything else that I use on windows I have available in Linux..... deluge-svn, totem-xine, banshee, stellarium, fireftp, brassero, a faster Firefox, Thunderbird.....

My main beefs with Vista are:

- Resizing, deleting, and moving Windows partitions
- virus/firewall stuff
- upgrading of drivers, and Vista updates
- reboots reboots reboots reboots.....
- cleaning the system

Has anybody ever tried to resize and move a Vista partition? It's ridiculous. So is their new system defrag, and their firewall virus system.... as well as the whole update/reboot process that leaves you waiting for 5 minutes on the VISTA blue/green screen while it tells you that it's installing all of the upgrades (that just took you 20 minutes to download and upgrade before the reboot).

Windows literally takes 30 minutes just to turn it on and update everything:

update virus/firewall
run a virus check
clean the system folders (not even defrag it)
update drivers
update Vista
reboot..... then wait for 5 minutes while stuck on a sea-green VISTA reboot screen

.... then finally you can start using the computer after 30 minutes of system maintenance.

On Linux, it takes:

10 seconds to GRUB
30 seconds to boot up
5 seconds to login
5 more seconds to see the xfce4 desktop load with compiz-fusion
5 more seconds to open Firefox and Thunderbird
30-60 seconds for upgrade through terminal

.... all of that in about 1-2 minutes..... everything that just took 30 minutes in Vista.

I have nothing against Windows, I rarely talk about it (still have it on a partition), but lets not pretend that it's "Superior" just because Adobe Suite and Video Games work on it..... or because people that sell software include drivers for Windows and not Linux.

Or because the average person can check their outlook mail with it, or use their webcam and wifi with out a bit of effort to configure it.....

Yeah, it's nice to have drivers included with your computer that let you use all of the hardware properly, but if you buy a computer that comes with Linux pre-installed, drivers shouldn't be an issue. (or if you do your homework before buying a new computer)

But to get back to your Simile of "people being like a Volkswagen verse a HONDA"..... I don't really get it..... I've never heard of that argurement before. When someone says VW, I think Vanagon/Westfalia/Microbus/Euro/Syncro/Delhi/Bug.... when someone says HONDA, I think Accord, civic.

I wish I still had my old Volkswagen Vanagon (with Reef racks on top), a fold up couch/bed in the back, a nice stereo..... instead of the piece of crap Accord that I have to drive now.