PDA

View Full Version : AOpen To Sell $399 SFF w/Linux

drizek
September 30th, 2005, 12:09 AM
AOpen is going to sell a mac mini-type pc with linux preinstalled by the end of the year. It will be speced similairly to the Apple Mac mini, and will come with either windows or linux. The windows version will be $499.

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050929_134152.html

Lovechild
September 30th, 2005, 12:28 AM
the GoldenGate sounds interesting, small SMP setup, what I've been dreaming about.. but man it's ugly.

Goober
September 30th, 2005, 06:29 AM
It would be nice to save space by getting something that small . . . I mean, this tower of mine is bloody huge, and has so much empty space its not funny . . .

All well, I shall just have to convert to a Laptop . . .

drizek
September 30th, 2005, 07:11 AM
ya, ive been looking at laptops this past week too. The noise from my desktop is killing my ears and my CRT is killing my eyes.

ltmon
September 30th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Glad to hear, as I'm a big fan of AOpen. They deliver a great system on a budget.

I run Kubuntu on an AOpen "shoebox size" machine (it's an XCCube EZ19 for reference). It's got an nForce2-gt m/b with onboard everything (incl. nvidia graphics). It's now about 2 years old.

It has worked perfectly with every distro I've tried (but then again I picked it based on the hardware supported by Linux). The interior is well layed out compared to other small pc's, so you don't skin your knuckles (much) when attaching hardware. It keeps itself well cooled, but is a bit loud for my tastes -- I think a small box should use the quietest cooling possible, given that you're really going for "low impact" computing.

The Engrish slogans on the box were a hoot ("Fun your life!") and the instructions read like they were translated via Google :)

(I know I sound like a shill... but I really like the package they put together).

L.