PDA

View Full Version : What proportion of Forum users pre-compile their posts?

Forrest Gumpp
February 22nd, 2008, 01:11 AM
It has been my habit on other fora to compose posts in Gedit, and when satisfied with them, to copy and paste them into the submission pane. (The reason for this habit being to avoid the text of a post being lost should the log-in period expire before a post being composed in the submission pane can be completed.)

I am only new to the Ubuntu Forums, but I think I may have discovered a glitch in the way the post-opening page works. I have described this experience in this post to the Forum Feedback and Help area: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=702917

It seems as if few who frequent that forum have run into this glitch, and I am wondering whether it is because the glitch itself is of rare occurrence, or that it is much more frequent, but unnoticed, because few posters submit in precisely the way I generally do. (Or indeed, whether I have some fundamental misunderstanding of how to use this feature.)

I was hoping contributors in the Cafe could indicate in a poll whether they usually type direct into the submission pane, or pre-compile elsewhere and then log in, copy, paste, and submit. I would also be interested to know whether anyone else has run into the mixed messages I describe in the post linked to above.

TIA

Forrest

phrostbyte
February 22nd, 2008, 01:15 AM
Only if it's a long rant. :)

Gen2ly
February 22nd, 2008, 01:18 AM
I have tried using gedit to write my text but then I end up using the browser editor to add markup. I've never lost a session, guess I've been lucky as I can take a bit to form a post too.

y-lee
February 22nd, 2008, 01:19 AM
Long questions or answers I write in a text editor, Vim or gedit ... depends on my mood and if one of them is already open. Short ones I write here :)

CCNA_student
February 22nd, 2008, 01:20 AM
I generally type right into the submission pane.

Jay Jay
February 22nd, 2008, 01:25 AM
I type my posts directly into the panel and make a copy for the Clipboard in case my message is lost from dawdling lol

fwojciec
February 22nd, 2008, 02:32 AM
What I can recommend to you, if you use Firefox, is It's All Text (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4125) Firefox extension. I use it so I can compose my posts in Vim -- my editor of choice.

y-lee
February 22nd, 2008, 02:35 AM
What I can recommend to you, if you use Firefox, is It's All Text Firefox extension. I use it so I can compose my posts in Vim -- my editor of choice.

I actually use it but I have it set for gedit :)

k2t0f12d
February 22nd, 2008, 02:43 AM
Im so lazy. I start typing in the quick reply box. Then sometimes I switch to advanced. If Im thinking, Ill reread it once to find errors and correct, but usually I just see them later on and use edit to fix mistakes and clean up grammer.

:rolleyes:

Irihapeti
February 22nd, 2008, 05:51 AM
It depends. If I'm asking a complicated question, I'll compose the thing in Gedit and then paste into Firefox. This is mainly so that I can take the time to be sure that I'm making myself clear. (Doesn't always work :) ) If it's a quick reply to someone else's question, I'll type the text directly.

Yes, I did once lose a reply because I'd been inactive for too long. Fortunately, I had kept a copy of part of it somewhere else.

spupy
February 23rd, 2008, 02:30 AM
I used Leafpad with Firefox 3, because the beta suck on my PC and typing in text boxes is 1 character per second. With FF2 always in the text boxes because of typos.

Most of the time i switch to Advanced, so i have to rethink and decide if my post really is a necessary and worthwhile addition. This one isn't. ;)