PDA

View Full Version : Mp3 player

Supergoo
February 22nd, 2008, 12:50 AM
Hi all I am looking for a mp3 player that supports .ogg something small along the lines of a iPod classic with decent storage something comparable to the current gen ipods, Video is a bonus but not needed as I use it to play podcasts and audio books. I looked at the archos line but they want more money for the plugins and they do not have support for .ogg. Any help would be most welcome. If its Linux based all the better.

supergoo

tbroderick
February 22nd, 2008, 12:56 AM
How about a used Ipod Video with Rockbox?

Supergoo
February 22nd, 2008, 01:07 AM
hmmm I have a ipod video , but was hoping to move away from apple hardware, but will look into it will it work on flashbased ipods ?

tbroderick
February 22nd, 2008, 01:19 AM
1st through 5.5th generation iPod, iPod Mini and 1st generation iPod Nano
(not the Shuffle, 2nd/3rd gen Nano, Classic or Touch)

http://www.rockbox.org/

If you already have an Ipod Video, I'd try Rockbox.

macogw
February 22nd, 2008, 05:23 AM
I have a Cowon iAudio 7. It lists Linux compatibility (yep, works fine) and ogg compatibility (the only format I've got on it), but mine's only a 4GB one. They go up to 8 or 16 GB....not sure which.

XVII
February 22nd, 2008, 07:13 AM
I have a Cowon D2, I highly recommend it. It has sdhc support which makes it ideal for on the go playlists.

lespaul_rentals
February 22nd, 2008, 07:21 AM
Creative makes some good players that, from what I hear, work well with Linux. I own an e280 Sandisk Sansa, which isn't massive but it runs off flash memory. Whatever you get, make sure you put Rockbox on it.

macogw
February 22nd, 2008, 08:31 AM
Creative makes some good players that, from what I hear, work well with Linux. I own an e280 Sandisk Sansa, which isn't massive but it runs off flash memory. Whatever you get, make sure you put Rockbox on it.

Creatives cannot be Rockbox'd and cannot play ogg. I liked my ZVM when I had it though.