PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft "Won't Sue" over FOSS

lespaul_rentals
February 21st, 2008, 06:55 PM
http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9876029-56.html

Discuss.

ExpatPaul
February 21st, 2008, 07:01 PM
US and (especially) EU legislators have been taking a much harder look at Microsoft's monopoly practices in recent years. This story looks to me very much like a case of the company trying to grab a bit of positive publicity bu not threatening to do things that would be very unwise to do.

fatality_uk
February 21st, 2008, 07:05 PM
If I may use my favourite phrase of the moment,
It's a crock of happy horse s**t

To read in between the lines.

1) We wont sue the guys we arm twisted into signed thier life away. Others who annoy us might still be dragged up if we feel like.

2)
"As a first step, Microsoft will publish protocols for communicating with Windows Server" This will take 5 years and will be limited to the Samba case anyway

3) "
Microsoft said the pledge will ultimately extend to Windows Vista" - What they means is Vista 2020 - The all new release from MS in 2025 ;)

4)
"Microsoft said that it will not sue open-source developers who create non-commercial software based on Microsoft's protocols." Told ya above ;)

5)
"Microsoft also launched a Document Interoperability Initiative to "address data exchange between widely deployed formats." - MS will bribe (this has been proven, promotion fund my a**e) even MORE people till they get the result THEY want. An adoption of thier format

6)
"In a statement, Microsoft General Counsel Brad Smith said these steps are part of the company's efforts to comply with antitrust obligations laid out by the European Court of First Instance (CFI).

"As we said immediately after the CFI decision last September, Microsoft is committed to taking all necessary steps to ensure we are in full compliance with European law," Smith said." - Whhhaaaat? They appealed the appeal of the appeal and still wont be coughing up any cash for a good few years and dragging feet at each and every turn

When I hear this kind of BS from Microsoft, I am always tempted to write a OpenSource app that connects using Samba or does something with Windows file system, charge $1 and send the source to MS HQ :)

LightB
February 21st, 2008, 07:07 PM
Really, not much to discuss. Nobody who knew what was going on would think they had grounds to sue with that FUD stunt.

original_jamingrit
February 21st, 2008, 07:08 PM
When I heard that "Linux violated over a hundred patents and MS is gonna sue!!", a lot of people were able to smell microsoft's bulls__t.

fredfjr
February 21st, 2008, 10:36 PM
http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9876029-56.html

Discuss.

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9876090-39.html

The page I linked describes situations where MS will still sue...

rustybronco
February 21st, 2008, 10:50 PM
http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9876090-39.html

The page I linked describes situations where MS will still sue...

In an interview with Fortune magazine published this week, Microsoft's top lawyer, Brad Smith, provided a stark tally of 235 Microsoft patents the company believes are violated by free and open-source software, though he stopped short of detailing any. Specifically, he alleged that the Linux kernel violates 42 Microsoft patents; its user interface and other design elements infringe 65; OpenOffice.org infringes 45; and other packages infringe another 83 Microsoft patents.I can allege (to assert without proof) all I want also... F U D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jay Jay
February 21st, 2008, 11:02 PM
I'm surprised no-one's turned this around back onto MS: think about it, Windows (any version) contains innumerable patent violations from other software and the unlike their "FOSS BS", the proof is widely documented...

phrostbyte
February 21st, 2008, 11:06 PM
It would be wise to take anything Microsoft says about open source and Linux with a grain of salt.

Never forget Microsoft is a business, and one of their primary modes of business competes directly with open source software. The have real business requirements to lower the usage of operating systems like Linux and increase the use of Windows.

rustybronco
February 22nd, 2008, 12:44 AM
Where linux has only .6% of the market share we'll leave them alone, but where we might get our butts kicked (server market) we'll scream, holler and throw our weight around.

Tom Mann
February 22nd, 2008, 01:02 AM
It's worth throwing a BBC link in here, as the BBC are tied in a deal with Microsoft at the moment, yet this article seems a little more impartial than most:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7257411.stm

Quoting the EU:
<quote>
"The Commission would welcome any move towards genuine interoperability, nonetheless, the Commission notes that today's announcement follows at least four similar statements by Microsoft in the past on the importance of interoperability."
</quote>

Interoperability in Microsoft's eyes is between Microsoft product and Microsoft product, and anything they say taken with a handful of salt.

cprofitt
February 22nd, 2008, 01:04 AM
Microsoft Windows 7 is actually based on Free BSD <evil grin>