PDA

View Full Version : Shuttleworth buys into ImpiLinux

tseliot
September 29th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Please, have a look:

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=631

Quote: "In addition, we will ensure that Impi can support global standard formats such as Adobe PDF, DVD discs, and MP3 music files. Impi could potentially even run Windows applications, with commercial extensions that provide for greater desktop compatibility between Windows and Linux."

mstlyevil
September 29th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Please, have a look:
http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=631
Quote: "In addition, we will ensure that Impi can support global standard formats such as Adobe PDF, DVD discs, and MP3 music files. Impi could potentially even run Windows applications, with commercial extensions that provide for greater desktop compatibility between Windows and Linux."

I hope this does lead to being able to run Windows apps on your linux desktop.

Lovechild
September 29th, 2005, 09:50 PM
I hope this does lead to being able to run Windows apps on your linux desktop.

Dear lord no... that would.. ramifications... ARGGHHH

TravisNewman
September 29th, 2005, 09:57 PM
uh oh. I agree with Lovechild here. Ramifications. Imagine Ballmer's "Developers, developers, developers!" rant, only replace all instances of "developers" with "ramifications"

MetalMusicAddict
September 29th, 2005, 10:09 PM
So this will kindca be like pay-Ubuntu? Support for formats and drivers? Like my Broadcom card? :)

Though right now I can get everything I want/need to work with Ubuntu with a little effort. :)

Also will this water-down the talent pool of Ubuntu/Debian?

Goober
September 29th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Hrm. Could be good or bad. If Shuttleworth manages to get a Linux distro working that can install Windows .exe's, then I am all for it, and I wouldn't mind paying something reasonable for it.

If Shuttleworth is going to drain the Ubuntu/Debian development pool for this Commercial enterprise, then it could be very bad for Ubuntu. I guess Ubuntu is not exactly making $$$ . . .

mstlyevil
September 29th, 2005, 10:31 PM
I think this would benefit linux users. Cadega requres payment and it does not even work half the time. As much money as Shuttlewoth has invested in to Ubuntu, I do not have a problem with him making it back by offering a way to get the flexibility of Windows when it comes to games and popular software. At least you will still have the right to choose what you install and are not requred to have it. As many people that dual boot to windows will not have a problem paying a reasonable price for a application that makes dual booting unneccesary any more.

Kvark
September 29th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Sounds like while Ubuntu is kept pure from most non-free stuff. This distro would come with all the non-free stuff. That kinda makes sence, that way both approaches are covered.

DJ_Max
September 29th, 2005, 10:47 PM
So this will kindca be like pay-Ubuntu? Support for formats and drivers? Like my Broadcom card? :)

I wouldn't go that far, but I could be wrong.

To be honest, I don't care for the closed format support, it would really go against why I chose Linux...:???:

Galoot
September 29th, 2005, 11:23 PM
My thoughts are:

This won't water down Ubuntu any more than any other distribution does. Developers will continue to write for whatever distro interests them, as always. This isn't even a brand new distribution, so the changes as far as Ubuntu users are concerned will be negligible.

Mark Shuttleworth's interests include making money, but I think his main priority--now that he's got more money than he can spend in a lifetime--is to enable South Africa, whether or not that makes him richer in the process. Ubuntu is a step toward that goal. ImpiLinux complements and builds on Ubuntu, it doesn't "compete" with it.

bob_c_b
September 30th, 2005, 01:08 AM
I wouldn't go that far, but I could be wrong.
To be honest, I don't care for the closed format support, it would really go against why I chose Linux...:???:

Agreed, this is about promoting open standards whenever possible.

poofyhairguy
September 30th, 2005, 02:59 AM
I have to say:

Awesome.

I have often thought that SUSE would leave Ubuntu behind eventually marketshare wise. Why? Because it has both products- a libre product and for some money a professional product that made life easier.

The pay for product is a great idea. People want to play DVDs, play MP3s, Java, etc. If nothing else, it makes it so that whenever people say "Ubuntu sucks because it cares too much about freedom, I hate copying and pasting command lines from the guide. Only nerds should have to do that. Why can't it be like a Mepis or something?" I can say "Then go buy ImpiLinux based on Ubuntu and quit complaining, those things legally cost money so if you want to legally have them in Ubuntu you have to pay for it."

Now I say "Just go buy Linspire." Not quite the same effect.

I was scared though that Ubuntu could never have this "edge" because of its promise to be free. But this gets around that. Ubuntu will stay free, ImpiLinux will be like the "professional" version for desktop users.

I figured if Mark didn't do it, someone would eventually fork Ubuntu into a "non free" version and make a bunch of money of Ubuntu's work. Mark did it himself. Yeah for Mark.

Now Mark can serve both ends- a libre, shipped to you for free version that can serve the nerd/too poor to get it otherwise market. And a non free version for (otherwise unhappy) middle class users that are willing to pay for an OS as long as they don't have to touch the command line.

Because of this.....Mark might finally have the final piece needed to rule the Linux desktop world- maybe even a way to sustain Ubuntu development!

This is the best news I have heard in Linuxland in months.....thanks for posting it.

occy8
September 30th, 2005, 03:47 AM
not only for middle class user (whatever that is) but also companies, they need something working out of the box including training.
Another great thing is, he is doing it in South Africa. Developing countries have more to offer then cheap labour and commodities

poofyhairguy
September 30th, 2005, 04:16 AM
not only for middle class user (whatever that is) but also companies, they need something working out of the box including training.

Good point. Also corporations don't trust things that are free (in money sense). If must not be good if its free!

tseliot
September 30th, 2005, 08:48 AM
I have to say:
Awesome.
I have often thought that SUSE would leave Ubuntu behind eventually marketshare wise. Why? Because it has both products- a libre product and for some money a professional product that made life easier.
The pay for product is a great idea. People want to play DVDs, play MP3s, Java, etc. If nothing else, it makes it so that whenever people say "Ubuntu sucks because it cares too much about freedom, I hate copying and pasting command lines from the guide. Only nerds should have to do that. Why can't it be like a Mepis or something?" I can say "Then go buy ImpiLinux based on Ubuntu and quit complaining, those things legally cost money so if you want to legally have them in Ubuntu you have to pay for it."
I was scared though that Ubuntu could never have this "edge" because of its promise to be free. But this gets around that. Ubuntu will stay free, ImpiLinux will be like the "professional" version for desktop users.
I figured if Mark didn't do it, someone would eventually fork Ubuntu into a "non free" version and make a bunch of money of Ubuntu's work. Mark did it himself. Yeah for Mark.
Now Mark can serve both ends- a libre, shipped to you for free version that can serve the nerd/too poor to get it otherwise market. And a non free version for (otherwise unhappy) middle class users that are willing to pay for an OS as long as they don't have to touch the command line.
Because of this.....Mark might finally have the final piece needed to rule the Linux desktop world- maybe even a way to sustain Ubuntu development!
This is the best news I have heard in Linuxland in months.....thanks for posting it.
I completely agree with you

joelito
October 3rd, 2005, 05:52 AM
And I hope Ubuntu** is available in the states. I'd definetly buy it. Not that I'm not watching DVDs on my current setup

Edit:
** I meant Impi

23meg
October 3rd, 2005, 11:07 AM
this is definitely good news. now that there's a "bells and whistles" Ubuntu variant with better localization support, and a dedicated Ubuntu Foundation as well, mainstream IT guys looking all over the place to find a fault with Ubuntu and finally coming up with the "there's no real corporate foundation behind it; we don't know how they're planning to make money" talk have elsewhere to look.

perhaps now all they can complain about is the naming scheme :) is there any news or rumors on whether Impi's name will change?

jeffjj
October 3rd, 2005, 02:03 PM
Mark Shuttleworth seems intent on finding a way to make Ubuntu self-sustaining. I think that would be great! Personally I would be more than willing to pay for a version of Ubuntu that included all the multimedia...especially if I knew that it was helping to pay for developers to keep the Ubuntu machine going.

Brunellus
October 3rd, 2005, 04:18 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but conceivably this could make the following analogy true:

Ubuntu:Impi::Fedora:RedHat

tseliot
October 3rd, 2005, 04:23 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but conceivably this could make the following analogy true:

Ubuntu:Impi::Fedora:RedHat
Or Ubuntu:Impi = Opensuse:Suse?

Perhaps yours is more appropriate.

papangul
October 3rd, 2005, 05:29 PM
Ubuntu:Impi = Fedora:RedHat = openSUSE:Novell Open Enterprise Server OR Novell Linux Desktop

newbie2
October 3rd, 2005, 06:35 PM
M$'s Ballmer feels the heat :razz: :razz: -->
"The launch comes as South Africa faces pressure from some industry groups, led by the first African in space, Mark Shuttleworth, to opt for open source solutions instead of spending tax-payers money on Microsoft applications."
http://www.newkerala.com/news.php?action=fullnews&id=29686

MetalMusicAddict
October 3rd, 2005, 10:14 PM
M$'s Ballmer feels the heat :razz: :razz: -->
"The launch comes as South Africa faces pressure from some industry groups, led by the first African in space, Mark Shuttleworth, to opt for open source solutions instead of spending tax-payers money on Microsoft applications."
http://www.newkerala.com/news.php?action=fullnews&id=29686
I was totally thinking about this at work today.

"What does MS think of Shuttleworths efforts?"

I wish Mark all the luck. Ive never heard of him 'till Ubuntu and I must say I like him alot. I hope he and Linux has what it takes to knock MS down a few pegs. At least enough for me to get a Dell/HP preloaded with Ubuntu/Linux in the states/stores.

newbie2
October 5th, 2005, 08:01 PM
October 5 2005

Already an official Ubuntu support partner, Obsidian Systems will now also offer ImpiLinux support following the recent investment by Mark Shuttleworth into the ImpiLinux company.
http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=634
http://lxer.com/

ubuntu_demon
October 6th, 2005, 04:19 PM
I have to say:

Awesome.

I agree for the most part. But here are some of my thoughts :

1) impilinux isn't (yet?) targeted to the global linux desktop market. So there's still a big niche to fill left.

2) impilinux solves a lot of problems for the paying customers but how do "we" teach those customers about open source and open standards ?

poofyhairguy
October 6th, 2005, 08:15 PM
1) impilinux isn't (yet?) targeted to the global linux desktop market. So there's still a big niche to fill left.

I'll personally advocate Impi as soon as its ready to Linux fans/ future users even if I have to call Mark myself and ask him for some copies.

2) impilinux solves a lot of problems for the paying customers but how do "we" teach those customers about open source and open standards ?

Start with the easy stuff. Ubuntu and software like Firefox are easier to use than Windows and IE (if you count in malware). So I think the best thing is to use something like this to focus on where open source solutions is easier than better.

Then once we have them hooked, explain why its important to support openness in areas where its harder. And the trick is to not expect a miracle and accept that when its harder most people won't care.

If we hold back all of OSS just because the public doesn't want to deal with the hard parts is not the correct way to go about things. Its not all or nothing. I mean, at some point big OSS people will just have to accept that in areas where its harder (codecs and such) to use the open solutions most people simply won't. Where its harder they won't become the standard. Oh well. Better to focus on what can become a standard because its WAY better and easier (Firefox) then dwell on the areas where the companies are going to continue to have control.

If Impi gets someone to use Ubuntu that wouldn't because of the lack of such stuff, then its better than them than it was before. It might not make RMS happy, but thats not how you succeed.

ubuntu_demon
October 7th, 2005, 12:15 PM
I'll personally advocate Impi as soon as its ready to Linux fans/ future users even if I have to call Mark myself and ask him for some copies.

But maybe it's so much localized that most users who aren't from africa don't like it. (I have no idea whether this is true ofcourse)

Start with the easy stuff. Ubuntu and software like Firefox are easier to use than Windows and IE (if you count in malware). So I think the best thing is to use something like this to focus on where open source solutions is easier than better.

Then once we have them hooked, explain why its important to support openness in areas where its harder. And the trick is to not expect a miracle and accept that when its harder most people won't care.

If we hold back all of OSS just because the public doesn't want to deal with the hard parts is not the correct way to go about things. Its not all or nothing. I mean, at some point big OSS people will just have to accept that in areas where its harder (codecs and such) to use the open solutions most people simply won't. Where its harder they won't become the standard. Oh well. Better to focus on what can become a standard because its WAY better and easier (Firefox) then dwell on the areas where the companies are going to continue to have control.

If Impi gets someone to use Ubuntu that wouldn't because of the lack of such stuff, then its better than them than it was before. It might not make RMS happy, but thats not how you succeed.

I agree. I just wanted to mention this important point :)

poofyhairguy
October 7th, 2005, 12:26 PM
But maybe it's so much localized that most users who aren't from africa don't like it. (I have no idea whether this is true ofcourse)

Well....if it can have an English mode (I assume it can) it will do the job for me.

Lovechild
October 7th, 2005, 12:27 PM

That's pretty easy btw. watch his keynote from debconf - he puts his number on the blackboard - also please laugh when he slacks Gentoo.

* please note I'm not advocating actually calling Mark, his time is valuable please don't waste it *

MetalMusicAddict
October 7th, 2005, 09:21 PM
watch his keynote from debconf - he puts his number on the blackboard
I couldnt belive he did that. I just though of all the linux kids that would call him.

Lovechild
October 7th, 2005, 09:33 PM
I couldnt belive he did that. I just though of all the linux kids that would call him.

Mark has a set of them..a brass set.

MetalMusicAddict
December 16th, 2005, 03:32 AM
I know the official site is gone. Just a placeholder (http://www.impilinux.org/) now.
Im wondering if there is any info on its future? Will it be based on Ubuntu? Will it include the non-free stuff like codecs, drivers and be for pay? If it does, what would that mean for Easy-Ubuntu (https://launchpad.net/products/easyubuntu/)?

I like the idea of a Ubuntu with codecs and drivers out of the box but if Easy-Ubuntu does it for free why use Impi if including non-free stuff is its goal?

All just questions in my head. Any answers?

MetalMusicAddict
December 18th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Nothing on Impi?

mohapi
February 2nd, 2006, 07:52 AM
I tried installing it last night but didn't get too far. I'm still too absorbed in my never-ending battle with my PCMCIA wireless card to troubleshoot an entire new distro. ;) One crisis at a time, please.

mips
February 2nd, 2006, 09:17 AM
I dont think they are using the .org domain anymore as they have commercial products now.

You can use http://www.impilinux.co.za/
This is the free version http://www.impilinux.co.za/node/9

MetalMusicAddict
February 2nd, 2006, 12:30 PM
Ahh... Thanx for the new info. I couldnt find any screenshots. I download it and install it later. Gotta go to work.

AllenGG
May 13th, 2006, 03:03 PM
IMPI Linux I think, is the logical offshoot of Ubuntu, but how many members here will agree? There are downsides of course, but the brightside seems to me that it will help Ubuntu in the long haul.

Allen G:cool:

http://www.impilinux.co.za/

http://www.impilinux.co.za/impiforum/index.php

MetalMusicAddict
May 13th, 2006, 03:15 PM
I downloaded the trial. I was unimpressed. The "look and feel" seemed unpolished. Becides that it seems like nothing that cant already be done with Kubuntu.

tseliot
May 13th, 2006, 03:25 PM
I really can't see any downside. Ubuntu is and will always be free.

Mark Shuttleworth is investing quite an amount of money into Ubuntu and, if makes money thanks to Ubuntu I really can't see anything wrong about it.

Impy Linux can ship with Crossover office, Star Office and commercial software by default, that is something that firms might be interested in in order to make the switch to Linux a little less painful. And he can gain thanks to the commercial support to Impy Linux (like Red Hat, or Novell do).

GNU/Linux is not about avoiding to make money out of what you develop. All the achievements of Ubuntu contribute to the world of Open Source (again, like Red Hat, Novell, etc. do)

I wish him all the best.

AllenGG
May 15th, 2006, 05:32 AM
My only concern is that Ubuntu could go somewhat the way of RedHat. Looking back at RedHat's history, they seemed to have made some blunders, and now again they're offering a free version, but nothing like Ubuntu's support.

curuxz
May 15th, 2006, 08:40 AM
I have had a look around their distro, its not much diffrent from Ubuntu and there is no community. It looks like just another small time company trying to cash in others hard work. I would not worry to much about this one lasting they already have several failed distros to their name.

nocturn
May 15th, 2006, 08:55 AM
IMPI is an affiliate of Ubuntu.

If you look closely, there the official support entity in their region.

NoTiG
September 9th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Wouldnt it be cool if a company took ubuntu, sort of like how ubuntu took debian... and commercialized it... maybe added some features, helped fix some bugs and pass them down. I mean... wouldnt linspire/lindows be more successful if they would use ubuntu as a base, then add to the distribution by default all that proprietary stuff ?

Adamant1988
September 9th, 2006, 07:15 PM
The problem with that, in my opinion, is brand loyalty. A company just can't use the Ubuntu philosophy and that takes all the warm and fuzzy's out of Ubuntu. Very few Ubuntu users will be convinced to switch, I'm sure, just simply because Ubuntu is free and they can add anything they like. A lot of current users enjoy "digital activism", like "Bad laws are made to be broken, so I'll install libdvdcss2 and watch all the movies I damn well please".

For Linspire and Freespire they probably wouldn't do much better with an Ubuntu base than they're going to do anyway... and they prefer to stay debian based because there are more packages available there that they can add to CNR.

it is possible that in a few years a US friendly version of Ubuntu could be released, but I'm not holding my breath... ubuntu is a growing and healthy distribution right now, if it's not broken don't fix it.

aysiu
September 9th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I thought Mepis already did this?

Mepis (as of version 6) is pretty much Ubuntu with some proprietary software, a different installer, root/user instead of sudo, and different artwork.

mips
September 9th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Like Impi Linux... http://www.impilinux.com/

MaximB
December 15th, 2006, 02:34 PM
"Impi will offer additional commercial functionality not available in Ubuntu
Impi Linux offers four primary product streams:
- The free to use evaluation edition, ImpiLinux 6.01(Duty Free);
- Enterprise desktop and desktop server products (Business Class);
- Custom-built distributions tailor-made to a customer's specific requirements (Premier Class);
- Ubuntu (Economy Class), also free to use."

http://www.impilinux.co.za

mmm... as you can see some of the new "products" of the new distro that is based on Ubuntu will NOT be free, that makes me think about other companies like Redhat and Novell which have a "pay" distro and a community driven free distros.

will Mark would invest more on his new distro and adds more features to it and neglect Ubuntu in order to "make" us buy his new distro using the good reputation Ubuntu has ?

an.echte.trilingue
December 15th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I think that Mr. Shuttleworth's initial investment in Ubuntu has made it a self-sustaining jugernaut. It will continue fine with or without him. Even if it died tomorrow, the benefits debian has gotten from Ubuntu make the project worthwhile. I am thankful to him for what he has done here.

I see no reason why he should not invest his money in something that has the potential to make a return for him. It will still be good for OSS adoption in general.

prizrak
December 15th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I thought Impi was just the African version of Ubuntu.

maniacmusician
December 15th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Yeah, this is pretty old news, I think, Impi has been around for a while. I've especially seen mips talking about it a lot in the past.

Impi, if I remember correctly, is a corporate solution version of Ubuntu...for a reasonable fee, they custom tailor your OS to your needs, add things for you, give you personal tech support and dev support (as in a team of developers devoted to your company). So it's hardcore corporate services at a reasonable price; and yes, aimed at African businesses.

gh0st
December 15th, 2006, 02:56 PM
I thought Impi was just the African version of Ubuntu.

Yeah it does say on the site that Impi is for South Africa but it's not very clear if it wil be started there and expanded into other countries. Here's a bit of info from the site:

-------------------------------------------
Impi will be a truly South African variant of the popular Ubuntu platform, which has in the past year become one of
the world's most popular desktop Linux operating systems. Ubuntu itself will continue to remain freely available on the global market, while Impi will offer additional commercial functionality not available in Ubuntu, as well as strong localisation for the South African marketplace. Impi will initially be available in English, Xhosa and Afrikaans, with the potential for translation into additional South African languages on the basis of customer demand.
--------------------------------------------

It seems to me that the Business versions will be tested in the market there against Red Hat and Novell, if things go well they will probably move into a larger market. I'm only guessing here though. Who knows what will happen. We'll have to wait and see.

darrenm
December 15th, 2006, 03:01 PM
It did make me slightly uncomfortable at first but reading the news on the IMPI website it just seems that Mark is investing in IMPI and is talking about it in a 3d person perspective.

aysiu
December 15th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Merged with the other Impi Linux threads.

MaximB
December 16th, 2006, 12:14 AM
wow , you dig deep... I never thought there is a thread about it from 2005. (search it, yeah I know).

Tipo
December 16th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Hmm, It'll be interesting to see how far this goes :)