PDA

View Full Version : When Hardy is released...

sports fan Matt
February 21st, 2008, 05:07 PM
Will you Automatically upgrade or will you wait till all thj bugs are ironed out? I will probably wait a week or so to get feedback and see what all the issues are with the process if there are any..

What will ya'll do?

amazingtaters
February 21st, 2008, 05:17 PM
I will see when the time comes. If I've got a lot of important work to do for classes, then it will have to wait. If I have a relatively large amount of free time, then I will be upgrading pretty quickly.

corney91
February 21st, 2008, 06:40 PM
I'm on it already :D
But I'm probably going to go back to gutsy until release and then hardy again, just because it's fun to reinstall :p

billgoldberg
February 21st, 2008, 07:08 PM
Install it as soon I burned the cd.

And start messing with it.

fatality_uk
February 21st, 2008, 07:21 PM
I will be visiting one of our high street stores on a "technical visit"
They all have killer 10MB+ internet.
The bandwidth might go up a little on April 24th :)

April 24th, which happens to be my Birthday. Thanks for the treat Ubuntu ;)

Bungo Pony
February 21st, 2008, 07:37 PM
I'll wait until the initial rush to get it is over. I may wait a month, or wait until I get some time to do a re-install of both Linux and Windows - whichever comes first.

But I'll be sticking with it until the next LTS version.

Lostincyberspace
February 21st, 2008, 07:46 PM
I will wait 1-2 weeks I think at least for a testbed I am using mint right now and it comes set up better for my uses.

mr.propre
February 21st, 2008, 08:19 PM
Wait a week or 2.
Make a backup image of my current installation (for when it fails)
Enter the right commands and upgrade :-)

Northsider
February 21st, 2008, 08:30 PM
I am mainly excitied about KDE4...I'd like that to get ironed out before I do any upgrading.

Bruce M.
February 21st, 2008, 11:09 PM
Well, I installed Gutsy just a few days ago. And it was the roughest Ubuntu install yet. Not because of Gutsy so much as I have an old PC.

I don't think this old thing will take to Hardy. :(

And the wallet is saying, "No, no computer yet!"

solitaire
February 21st, 2008, 11:18 PM
Depends on my mood and available PC to install it on :D

Hopefully i'll have this old lappy gathering dust by the time it's released so i'll stick it on that for a looksee, then wait a few weeks before upgrading to make sure it won't FUBAR my other machine :D

DoktorSeven
February 21st, 2008, 11:20 PM
I'm considering a Hardy install right now.

exactopposite
February 22nd, 2008, 12:00 AM
i'll probably install it on my desktop when it's in beta or RC stage. I like to stay ahead of the rush. I won't upgrade my girlfriend's laptop (she lives here too) until it's been out for a little while tho.

I have a media/file server on my lan that i may or may not upgrade depending on how stable hardy is relative to gutsy. gutsy seems less stable to me than fiesty or dapper were.

linux5uper
February 22nd, 2008, 12:10 AM
I'll upgrade the same day it comes out.

I installed Gutsy recently and it took all in all about 1.5 hours to set up everything the way I like it, as I have all my settings preserved and ready to go. So if I don't like the new system, I'll need that much time to get back to 'as if nothing happened'.

bruce89
February 22nd, 2008, 12:21 AM
I wouldn't be seen dead running an old release (I'm already on Hardy on both machines).

ginnie6
February 22nd, 2008, 12:50 AM
I'm already on hardy as my laptop (HP) did not like Gutsy and I liked a few things about it better than Feisty. Hardy works great on this laptop except for wireless.

Mary.Riley
February 22nd, 2008, 03:07 AM
I'd like to say I'll wait for some of the bugs to be taken care of, but we all know I won't. I'll update on release.

ShodanjoDM
February 22nd, 2008, 03:30 AM
I'll wait until Ubuntu Studio upgraded to Hardy first. It'll be interesting since this will be the 1st LTS release for the Ubuntu Studio.

However I am quite satisfied with the 7.10, so maybe I'll take some time to read all the improvements before deciding whether to upgrade or not.

We'll see.

3rdalbum
February 22nd, 2008, 03:57 AM
I might wait about a month after release, and then bring my computer into work on a Sunday and leech off the internet connection to do a dist-upgrade.

ODF
February 22nd, 2008, 04:11 AM
Since I really dont care about reliability I want to try it now. Alpha4 is downloaded, but I work a lot these weeks so no time to do it.

DoktorSeven
February 22nd, 2008, 04:23 AM
Update: I considered updating and have now done so. :) Hardy rocks.

Depressed Man
February 22nd, 2008, 04:56 AM
Probably updating. But with all the modifications I've made, I wonder if it's better just to do a clean install (ironically I do this every 6 months thanks to the schedule of how Ubuntu comes out). :)

phrostbyte
February 22nd, 2008, 04:58 AM
I think I'll wait for Alpha 5 to try out Hardy. But I'm sticking to Gutsy on my main machine until release.

smartboyathome
February 22nd, 2008, 05:03 AM
Probably update my machine when it is released. May actually upgrade beforehand. :)

Chilli Bob
February 22nd, 2008, 06:20 AM
I'll replace my hard drive with a spare one and then install on that. If, like Gutsy, it just doesn't work on my hardware, then I won't have to re-install Fiesty plus applications, plus themes, plus home folder, plus drivers etc etc.

Yeah, I learnt my lesson.

FuturePilot
February 22nd, 2008, 06:21 AM
This time I'm attempting an upgrade on my main PC.

Cloudy
February 22nd, 2008, 09:45 AM
I'll more than likely upgrade the day of release on my laptop. It won't matter though, because I tend to throw a different distro or two on my laptop every month whenever I feel like it - I mainly use the laptop to test distros out, anyway.

tdrusk
February 22nd, 2008, 01:38 PM
I will probably backup my system and do a fresh install.

argie
February 22nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
Right smack in the middle of finals. I'll wait till I'm done and then reinstall, after backups. Upgrading hasn't been perfect.

rustybronco
February 22nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
Well, I installed Gutsy just a few days ago. And it was the roughest Ubuntu install yet. Not because of Gutsy so much as I have an old PC.

I don't think this old thing will take to Hardy. :(

And the wallet is saying, "No, no computer yet!"Looking at your spec's I would think you have a high power machine, my laptop...
pIII-650mhz 384meg ram, sporting hardy alpha 4. a little slow on the boot up, but when she's up it's very reasonable, at worst case no slower than 7.10 was. I did drop firefox-beta3 (buggy) and installed the deb for opera.

Perpetual
February 22nd, 2008, 02:15 PM
I usually upgrade 2-3 days before the official release unless there are known show-stoppers out. Otherwise, beat the heavy server load week that follows official release.

BigSilly
February 22nd, 2008, 02:19 PM
I'll be doing a fresh install of Hardy as soon as I get hold of it, hopefully within the first week of release. It'll be replacing my Gutsy install (which replaced my Windows install! :)), and I'm hoping to be able to stick with it for a while since it's a LTS release.

Can't wait!

bobbybobington
February 22nd, 2008, 04:22 PM
burn a cd the day it comes out, back up my files, and install.

Kernel Sanders
February 22nd, 2008, 04:26 PM
I will be visiting one of our high street stores on a "technical visit"
They all have killer 10MB+ internet.
The bandwidth might go up a little on April 24th :)

April 24th, which happens to be my Birthday. Thanks for the treat Ubuntu ;)

What store will allow you to do that? :shock:

PryGuy
February 22nd, 2008, 08:40 PM
Instant image download here. I perform installations on users' PCs so it's vital for me to stay up to date and offer more possibilities to them.

Quillz
February 22nd, 2008, 08:58 PM
I'm running the alpha releases now with little issue. I'll likely upgrade to Hardy Heron the moment the gold release is ready.

dasunst3r
February 22nd, 2008, 09:05 PM
I wait off a week before upgrading to make sure the storm has settled. Even then, I would make sure that projects and midterms are at least one week away.

mivo
February 22nd, 2008, 09:06 PM
I'll wait a few days and watch the boards, then reinstall it from scratch (excluding the /home partition). In past releases the automatic process never seemed to work really well for quite a few people. Reinstalling the software and codecs I need is quick (and can be automated) anyway.

I already do have the dev version on another computer, just to help test a bit, but my work desktop doesn't make a good guinea pig. :)

bodhi.zazen
February 22nd, 2008, 09:06 PM
Pleas keep in mind, Hardy is in Alpha right now. If you want to take it for a spin, please do so.

But please do so "at your own risk", be prepared for bugs, and when you find them please report them. It is irritating to see people complain about the Alpha and Beta releases as if you want stable these releases are not for you.

Personally I usually test the iso in a virtual machine, fresh install the Beta (Herd) on a TEST PARTITION, and upgrade the old (7.10) a few weeks after the release.