PDA

View Full Version : OpenSUSE is AWESOME, CHECK THIS OUT!

snakeeyes
February 21st, 2008, 01:18 PM
OpenSUSE 11 is going to be amazing, check out this link to their weekly news 10 about how much is being improved for 11, and gnome is getting a lot of attention as well with this release. As usual with SUSE all desktop environments r treated equally.

http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Weekly_News/10

This is the design for the new installer:

http://files.opensuse.org/opensuse/en/3/36/110-installer.png

Cant wait for SUSE 11.

munch3
February 21st, 2008, 01:27 PM
Dont think It'll ever bee as popular as Ubuntu, but I like openSUSE...

odiseo77
February 21st, 2008, 01:36 PM
I'm currently on openSUSE 10.3 and is very nice. Can't wait for release 11 either. (Info and pictures here (http://news.opensuse.org/2008/02/08/announcing-opensuse-110-alpha-2/)).

snakeeyes
February 21st, 2008, 02:01 PM
I'm currently on openSUSE 10.3 and is very nice. Can't wait for release 11 either. (Info and pictures here (http://news.opensuse.org/2008/02/08/announcing-opensuse-110-alpha-2/)).
yeah but the latest installer for maybe alpha 3 is on the link I gave.

67GTA
February 21st, 2008, 07:47 PM
Dont think It'll ever bee as popular as Ubuntu, but I like openSUSE...

I think they will climb back towards the top now. They are improving package management(most peoples complaint), and making one CD installers(the second biggest complaint). I've recently moved back to opensuse since 10.3 was released.

Changturkey
February 21st, 2008, 08:22 PM
Yeah, they really need something better than YAST for package management, IMO.

snakeeyes
February 21st, 2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah, they really need something better than YAST for package management, IMO.
YAST is more than a package manager, all they need to do is speed it up a bit more than 10.3. They also have zypper which will be super fast from what I have heard.

The point is OpenSUSE keeps getting more and more polished, awesome job opensuse developers.

67GTA
February 21st, 2008, 11:00 PM
I use the one click install or zypper. I rarely open Yast for package management. You can use apt/synaptic or smart on opensuse.

67GTA
February 21st, 2008, 11:07 PM
The new installer looks awesome. Too bad you will only see it once:)

snakeeyes
February 21st, 2008, 11:11 PM
LOL.... yeah, but wait I will have KDE 4 to look at, if I get bored of that I will intentionally break my system to see the installer again. :)

Changturkey
February 22nd, 2008, 03:18 PM
Then they should have Smart installed on by default..

RebounD11
February 22nd, 2008, 03:26 PM
Then they should have Smart installed on by default..

Agreed, I think they should add the 1-click install feature to smart... I like that in 10.3 but it can get frustrating if you plan on doing several 1-click installs at a time. 2 is already annoying.

RedDwarf
February 22nd, 2008, 03:45 PM
I think they should add the 1-click install feature to smart...
Well, probably you just need a parser for the YMP file (that you could get from the YaST version) and execute two commands (add repository and add package). Then associate your program to ymp files in Konqueror/Firefox and that's all.
You know, it's open source... start coding it ;-)

RebounD11
February 22nd, 2008, 06:26 PM
Well, probably you just need a parser for the YMP file (that you could get from the YaST version) and execute two commands (add repository and add package). Then associate your program to ymp files in Konqueror/Firefox and that's all.
You know, it's open source... start coding it ;-)

I'll try... although I am am bad bad coder (I only know a little C and some ASM) - I hope next year I will be an engineer in electronics :D.

Jim!
March 9th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Hmmm, OpenSuse looks really good. I've only been using a Linux system (Ubuntu) for about 6-7 weeks now and I think I'm ready to try out another one, Ill have to give OpenSuse a try sometime soon.

Ptero-4
April 3rd, 2008, 06:02 AM
LOL.... yeah, but wait I will have KDE 4 to look at, if I get bored of that I will intentionally break my system to see the installer again. :)

Mmm. Although I have never used it. I suspect that you'll be watching M$ Linux's installer pretty often.

SunnyRabbiera
April 3rd, 2008, 06:07 AM
I never saw anything of worth on SUSE, why its so popular I will never understand.

cprofitt
April 4th, 2008, 12:29 AM
I never saw anything of worth on SUSE, why its so popular I will never understand.

I believe that the beauty of Linux, and each distro, is that there are so many options for users to pick from. My opinion is just that; in the grand scheme of things it is an insignificant spec of dust floating among the cosmic jetsam of the 'verse.

RebounD11
April 4th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Mmm. Although I have never used it. I suspect that you'll be watching M$ Linux's installer pretty often.

I think you're wrong in assuming SUSE and openSUSE is "M$ Linux". Novell brought a lot of contributions to Linux. Using formerly good Windows only tools in Linux is a good thing. It will help people/ new users to Linux.

I wish Novell would help with Wine developement. If wine will ever work with 90% of the Windows apps Windows will have nothing on Linux.

Ptero-4
April 4th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I think you're wrong in assuming SUSE and openSUSE is "M$ Linux". Novell brought a lot of contributions to Linux. Using formerly good Windows only tools in Linux is a good thing. It will help people/ new users to Linux.

I wish Novell would help with Wine developement. If wine will ever work with 90% of the Windows apps Windows will have nothing on Linux.
It's a joke on the fact that Novell sold themselves to the Devil.

anantshri
April 4th, 2008, 08:20 PM
well earlir i hated suse for not so obvious reason's nut mainly coz it tries to do all work on GUI and i am a CMD freak

but you know,

when i have to shift someone to linux
my first bet since 10.2 goes to to be opensuse,

I hada lot of problems regarding a lot of wifi cards not able to be configured,

but with opensuse 10.3 all problems are gone,

eagarly waiting for 11 to come

cardinals_fan
April 5th, 2008, 09:47 PM
This is the design for the new installer:

http://files.opensuse.org/opensuse/en/3/36/110-installer.png

Hilarious! I love that take on multimedia codecs...

Dr.Ninethousand
April 5th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I dunno about better WINE being the answer to competing with Windows.. so far I've avoided any need for WINE.. I think what we really need is more Linux apps that are equal/superior to Windows apps.. with time, more large companies are seeing fit to release Linux versions, and with Linux getting easier and more people switching, that trend will continue, if slowly..

actually I kind of think WINE, and the ability to run established Windows apps, lessens the drive to create replacements for those apps..

more on topic, I installed OpenSUSE on this PC shortly before switching to Kubuntu, and although OpenSUSE looked quite nice, it seemed like 8 out of 10 apps I tried to add would complain at me about missing dependencies etc., and I've pretty much never had that problem in Kubuntu..