PDA

View Full Version : New to programming and need help in c lang... please

pjjuang24
February 21st, 2008, 06:39 AM
Hi I am very new to programming in general and this semester I have to take a C programming class in which I have never seen computer language in my life so I have some questions about my homework if anyone could help me.

So the first one this is what i have so far...but it will not compile I do not know what is wrong with it

//This program that takes three values a, b, and c to
//identify if a triangle can be formed that have the given lengths. It //also tells you if it is equilateral or not, isosceles or not, and/or right //angled or not

#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
double a, b, c;
printf("Enter three values>");
scanf("%lf, %lf, %lf", &a, &b, &c);

if ((a>1) (b>1) (c>1))
{
if ((a+b>c) && (b+c>a) && (c+a>b))
{
printf("A triangle can be formed with these lengths\n");
}
if ((a==b) && (b==c) && (a==c))
{
printf("This is an equilateral triangle\n");
}
else
{
printf("This is not an equilateral triangle\n");
}
if((a==b) || (b==c) || (c==a))
{
printf("This is an isosceles triangle\n");
}
else
{
printf("This is not an isosceles triangle\n");
}
if ((pow(c,2)==pow(a,2)+pow(b,2)) || (pow(a,2)==pow(b,2)+pow(c,2)) || (pow(b,2)==pow(a,2)+pow(c,2)))
{
printf("This is a right triangle\n");
}
else
{
printf("This is not a right triangle\n");
}
else
{
printf("A triangle cannot be formed with these lengths\n");
}

}
else
{
printf("These numbers cannot form a triangle\n");
}
}

The second question is...after I compile the program, then I tried to input negative numbers but the output said command cannot be found. Is there an "if" function I can put in the program that will also read the negative numbers? or what do I do?

//This program will tell you if three points on a coordinate graph are
//collinear.

#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
double x1, y1, x2, y2, x3, y3;

printf("Enter three points>");
scanf("%lf, %lf, %lf, %lf, %lf, %lf", &x1, &y1, &x2, &y2, &x3, &y3);

if (((x1==x2) && (x2==x3) && (x1==x3)) || ((y1=y2) && (y2=y3) &&(y1==y3)))
printf("These points are collinear\n");

else
printf("These points are not collinear\n");
}

If you could help that would be great thank you so much!!

Polly

dwhitney67
February 21st, 2008, 06:49 AM
Here's the code again... please note the differences, and more importantly that I surrounded the code with PHP tags for better readability.

Btw, your original code had one more "else" statement than was perhaps necessary. Revisit the logic in your code.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <math.h> // added for pow()

int main() // main should return an integer status
{
double a, b, c;
printf("Enter three values>");
scanf("%lf, %lf, %lf", &a, &b, &c);

if ((a>1) && (b>1) && (c>1)) // added the &&s
{
if ((a+b>c) && (b+c>a) && (c+a>b))
{
printf("A triangle can be formed with these lengths\n");
}
if ((a==b) && (b==c) && (a==c))
{
printf("This is an equilateral triangle\n");
}
else
{
printf("This is not an equilateral triangle\n");
}
if((a==b) || (b==c) || (c==a))
{
printf("This is an isosceles triangle\n");
}
else
{
printf("This is not an isosceles triangle\n");
}
if ((pow(c,2)==pow(a,2)+pow(b,2)) || (pow(a,2)==pow(b,2)+pow(c,2)) || (pow(b,2)==pow(a,2)+pow(c,2)))
{
printf("This is a right triangle\n");
}
else
{
}
}
else
{
printf("A triangle cannot be formed with these lengths\n");
}

return 0; // return status of main()
}
// No matching if-statement
//else
//{
//printf("These numbers cannot form a triangle\n");
//}
//}

cb951303
February 21st, 2008, 06:56 AM
first one: you forgot to include stdio.h and math.h also there is two else for the last if and your first if should include && between conditions

#include <stdio.h>
#include <math.h>

if ((a>1) && (b>1) && (c>1)) {
else {
}
else...WRONG

also please indent your code before posting so that people can read it
cheers

EDIT: sorry for double

pjjuang24
February 21st, 2008, 07:47 AM
Thank You very much! I tried it and it still did not compile but I'm thinking of just sending in my hw with error because I really cannot find them. This really did help me though to understand if statements though. Thank you again!!

pjjuang24
February 21st, 2008, 07:48 AM
And sorry if I didn't indent if you noticed I still don't really even know how to use internet language -- I don't even know what that's called!

cb951303
February 21st, 2008, 10:28 AM
Thank You very much! I tried it and it still did not compile but I'm thinking of just sending in my hw with error because I really cannot find them. This really did help me though to understand if statements though. Thank you again!!

what's the error msg? :)

pjjuang24
February 21st, 2008, 03:57 PM
This is what is says

Undefined first referenced
symbol in file
pow /var/tmp//cck6RheD.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to a.out
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

dwhitney67
February 21st, 2008, 04:46 PM
Ensure that you have included <math.h>

#include <math.h>

You may also need to link in the math library. To do this:

gcc yourProgram.c -lm

Lusst
February 24th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I'm in the same boat as you are - first semester programmer here, and also working on a homework assignment...albeit, mine is a little easier...and it's C++, not C...but I didn't think this problem warranted a new thread.

Here's what I have so far:

#include <iostream.h>
#include <iomanip.h>
#include <math.h>
#include <conio.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main()
{

double a,b,c;

cout << setw (50) << "Enter the lengths of the three sides of a triangle..." << endl;
cin >> a >> b >> c;

if ((pow(a,2) == pow(b,2)+ pow(c,2)) || (pow(b,2) == pow(a,2) + pow(c,2)) || (pow(c,2) == pow(a,2) + pow(b,2)));
cout << "This triangle is a right triangle" << endl;

else
cout << "This triange is not a right triangle, but it is still awesome in my book..." << endl;

getch();
return 0;
}

Yes, it's heavy on the header files...for some reason, my teacher wants it this way.

Anyhoo, I'm receiving this error when compiling:

expected primary-expression before "else"

expected `;' before "else"

I can't find anything wrong, but I'm thinking that it's something simple that is right under my nose.

LaRoza
February 24th, 2008, 05:24 AM
First, conio.h is not standard. Remove it, and use getchar() instead of getch().

There is a semicolen at the end of the if statement, remove it to fix the error.

(And I hope your instructor didn't say to include those headers.)

#include <iostream>
#include <cmath>

int main()
{

double a,b,c;

std::cout << "Enter the lengths of the three sides of a triangle..." << std::endl;
std::cin >> a >> b >> c;

if ((pow(a,2) == pow(b,2)+ pow(c,2)) || (pow(b,2) == pow(a,2) + pow(c,2)) || (pow(c,2) == pow(a,2) + pow(b,2)))
{
std::cout << "This triangle is a right triangle" << std::endl;
}
else
{
std::cout << "This triange is not a right triangle, but it is still awesome in my book..." << std::endl;
}
return 0;
}

Compile with g++.

See http://ubuntuprogramming.wikidot.com for how to use g++.

Lusst
February 24th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Removing the semi-colon after the if statement did the trick...rawk!

We use Borland's C++ Builder back at the school lab, and for some reason, if one of the five header files our teacher wants (conio, condefs, stdlib, stdio, iostream) aren't there, he takes points off.

*shrug*

Don't ask me why, that's just how it is.

LaRoza
February 24th, 2008, 05:33 AM

We use Borland's C++ Builder back at the school lab, and for some reason, if one of the five header files our teacher wants (conio, condefs, stdlib, stdio, iostream) aren't there, he takes points off.

*shrug*

See my code, that is the way it should be.

If your instructor told you to include those headers, it shows a lack of understanding of C++. I hope you are able to learn aside from that.

(See my wiki for C++ references, if you want to keep yourself standard)

slavik
February 24th, 2008, 05:34 AM

*shrug*

tell him to stop living in the early 90s and to get with the ISO standard ... also, dump borland and use soemthing better.

Lusst
February 24th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Yeah...he's been programming since the '60's, and he's set in his ways...which includes sitting at his desk and playing Spider Solitaire all the while ignoring our questions.

Thanks for the help boys...I'll be hanging around here often, I have much to learn.

LaRoza
February 24th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Yeah...he's been programming since the '60's, and he's set in his ways.

Thanks for the help boys...if I hang around here long enough, I'll be learning some cool stuff.

Write it in Fortran.

If you hang around here, you will see some wild stuff. (So brace yourself :-))

Also, you will learn that not all here are male...

slavik
February 24th, 2008, 05:42 AM
seriously though, go to the department head and complain about being taught crap ...

Zwack
February 24th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Write it in Fortran.

If you hang around here, you will see some wild stuff. (So brace yourself :-))

I second all three of those...

Although my Fortran is mostly Fortran 77 with some Fortran IV pieces... Fortran 90 is just too recent for me. :-)

Z.

LaRoza
February 24th, 2008, 05:55 AM
I second all three of those...

Although my Fortran is mostly Fortran 77 with some Fortran IV pieces... Fortran 90 is just too recent for me. :-)

Z.

Fortran 77 only, for me.

Fortran 2008 is coming out soon I hear.

yabbadabbadont
February 24th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I learned Fortran 66.... in the early 80's. (I had a lousy instructor)

I ended up writing the code in (self taught) BASIC and then translating into Fortran. Probably the worst possible way to have done it. I learned the proper way of doing it while writing programs for my engineering classes. The same was true for differential and partial differential equations. My math classes were easy enough, but I gained true understanding through application to real world problems.

Edit: I should add that I've forgotten most of what I knew about all three. :D

Lusst
February 24th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Come to think of it, I could probably get on my teacher's good side if I created a program that made Skittles pop out of the A drive.

*hits the books*

I hail from a few message boards, most notably an MMA site that I mod. There, the rule about gender is clear: "Everyone is male, unless proven otherwise."

LaRoza
February 24th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Come to think of it, I could probably get on my teacher's good side if I created a program that made Skittles pop out of the A drive.

*hits the books*

"A drive?" use Linux :-)

pmasiar
February 24th, 2008, 10:28 PM
"Everyone is male, unless proven otherwise."

Not sure how you prove gender? I would think twice (or more) if requirement of membership in a forum was sending my naked pic to admins for approval :-)

Here, we know we do have some members who happens to be female, and we are proud about being inclusive and welcoming to anyone willing to learn. Just let you know.

BTW I found that presence of female moderators improves communication. Not sure why tho. Maybe because only above-average smart gals stick around in forums long enough? Or maybe sticking to Ubuntu Code of Conduct disqualifies (in time) jerks? I don't know.

slavik
February 24th, 2008, 11:01 PM
sex is biological, gender is social. :)

LaRoza
February 24th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Not sure how you prove gender? I would think twice (or more) if requirement of membership in a forum was sending my naked pic to admins for approval :-)

Here, we know we do have some members who happens to be female, and we are proud about being inclusive and welcoming to anyone willing to learn. Just let you know.

BTW I found that presence of female moderators improves communication. Not sure why tho. Maybe because only above-average smart gals stick around in forums long enough? Or maybe sticking to Ubuntu Code of Conduct disqualifies (in time) jerks? I don't know.

You can't prove gender, in fact, you can't even prove a species (You know, the dog thing)

Please, pmasiar, don't. That would definately earn you an infraction (goes for everyone else too.)

I am LaRoza, for the sake of sanity, you can use any pronoun you desire, just don't assume.

That is an interesting idea. Perhaps it is the thought that the moderator is female, not the actual fact. I didn't know (or even think about) the gender of other mods, but if I were to have to guess based on posts, I wouldn't think that the female/male mods where different. But I never really considered it, so it may be as you say.

pmasiar
February 25th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Please, pmasiar, don't. That would definately earn you an infraction.

Did you missed I joked? I do not feel any urgency to prove my gender here. But from Lusst's post it seems like female members would possibly to prove their gender on his forum :-) Or maybe they use different more advanced methods. Just curious :-)

LaRoza
February 25th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Did you missed I joked? I do not feel any urgency to prove my gender here. But from Lusst's post it seems like female members would possibly to prove their gender on his forum :-) Or maybe they use different more advanced methods. Just curious :-)

I was joking as well. :-)

Not aimed at you specifically, just the general though of such "verifications".

(Could be considered later, I will ask the admins)

I could be male, female, bot, or an alien. No way to prove it either way.

yabbadabbadont
February 25th, 2008, 01:11 AM
I saw a quote in another thread that seems appropriate:

"This is the internet, where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI."

:D

Now for something on-topic (gasp): I don't know how it stands these days, but Borland's C++ Builder used to be a very good tool. We used it for several years at my last job. It was only the last year or so before I left, that we started migrating to C#. We were switching a lot of our application suite to be more of a web-services type of thing, and C# was the more appropriate tool.

Zwack
February 25th, 2008, 02:26 AM
In person would be the only way that you could actually prove your sex/gender/species... And even then it would only prove that the being that the moderator met was that sex/gender/species and claimed to be the online entity in question.

Personally, I'm sitting in a room with several other species, including at least two hybrids... And I'm going to claim that I don't remember which of those species I am...

Z.