PDA

View Full Version : AWWWW Yeah! (Intrepid Ibex)

Vorian
February 20th, 2008, 04:16 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/Capra_ibex_ibex_%E2%80%93_03.jpg/200px-Capra_ibex_ibex_%E2%80%93_03.jpg

PriceChild
February 20th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I for one welcome our new intrepid overlords. (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2008-February/025136.html)

bobbocanfly
February 20th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Nice name. Shame it doesnt end with 'y' like the most of the names (Breezy, Hoary, Hardy) and 'intrepid' is a lot longer to type out when you are updating packages etc. but im still liking the name.

PmDematagoda
February 20th, 2008, 04:55 PM
A rather nice name, I cannot wait to start testing it myself especially since the new theme is going to be there for it:).

Scarath
February 20th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Why to they always pick the most ugly animals?

PmDematagoda
February 20th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Why to they always pick the most ugly animals?

What are you talking about? Gibbon, Fawn, Heron, Drake and Ibex are names of rather beautiful beasts.

Scarath
February 20th, 2008, 05:17 PM
What are you talking about? Gibbon, Fawn, Heron, Drake and Ibex are names of rather beautiful beasts.

Gibbon - hideous monster
Fawn - ok
Heron - BLEH
Drake - ok
Ibex - goat ...

They should work their way through the fantasy/sci fi creatures

elf, dwarf, alien, star ship enterprise, etc :D

Bachstelze
February 20th, 2008, 05:19 PM
They should work their way through the fantasy/sci fi creatures

elf, dwarf, alien, star ship enterprise, etc :D

How cheesy that would be...

p_quarles
February 20th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Not as cheesy as naming them all in Klingon.

phrostbyte
February 20th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Since the adjective often is used to describe the goals of that Ubuntu version...

intrepid: invulnerable to fear or intimidation; "intrepid pioneers"

What do you this Ubuntu 8.10 will try to accomplish? :popcorn:

Bachstelze
February 20th, 2008, 05:27 PM
What do you this Ubuntu 8.10 will try to accomplish? :popcorn:

Read the announcement...

Mazza558
February 20th, 2008, 05:32 PM
It's been dugg.

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Ubuntu_8_10_name_announced_The_Intrepid_Ibex

Let's get it on the front page!

I love the name by the way. Sounds like the most hopeful release ever.

phrostbyte
February 20th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Read the announcement...

I read it, but it's interesting to see what things people can come up with here. Besides, not everything Mark says in these mailings end up in the final distro, lets not forget the saga of Compiz by default. :)

Mazza558
February 20th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I read it, but it's interesting to see what things people can come up with here. Besides, not everything Mark says in these mailings end up in the final distro, lets not forget the saga of Compiz by default. :)

Well, the "always-on" networking sounds intriguing. I assume this means massively improved wireless, but at the same time, an increased dependency on the net for some things. I guess the Ibex will automatically try and connect to a network if it's in range and wireless is on.

The Ibex will probably finally have the improved theme people want, as well as the composited login effects which were pushed back due to lack of time.

P.S we have 12 diggs now - it's in the "Hot in Linux" section, so should easily reach frontpage now.

shafin
February 20th, 2008, 07:31 PM
In a message posted on the Ubuntu mailing list this morning, Ubuntu founder Mark Shuttleworth announced that Ubuntu 8.10, which is tentatively scheduled for release in October, will be called Intrepid Ibex.....

Plans for Intrepid Ibex include improvements to mobile computing and desktop scalability as well as increased flexibility for Internet connectivity. "Our desktop offering will once again be a focal point as we reengineer the user interaction model so that Ubuntu works as well on a high-end workstation as it does on a feisty little subnotebook. We'll also be reaching new peaks of performance—aiming to make the mobile desktop as productive as possible," Shuttleworth wrote in the e-mail. "A particular focus for us will be pervasive Internet access, the ability to tap into bandwidth whenever and wherever you happen to be."

Development planning for Intrepid Ibex will take place at the upcoming Ubuntu Developer Summit, which will take place in Prague between May 19 and 23. During the Developer Summit event, developers from Canonical meet with Ubuntu contributors and other members of the open source software community to establish blueprints and outline strategies for assembling the technologies that will be included in the next major Ubuntu release. I attended the last major Ubuntu Developer Summit in Boston last year and got first-hand exposure to Hardy Heron planning.

Shuttleworth notes that the 8.10 release will be the ninth Ubuntu release and will coincide with fourth anniversary of the first Ubuntu release, which was 4.10. .....

source (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080220-next-ubuntu-release-to-be-called-intrepid-ibex.html)

Intrepid Ibex,so,thats it? Of all the names chosen so far,it sure looks the weirdest to me,but I shall certainly get familiar with it :)

FuturePilot
February 20th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I must say that is a rather weird name. I've never even heard of an Ibex. That will sound rather odd when talking about it. "Did you hear what's planed for Intrepid?" I'll probably get used to it though.

bobbocanfly
February 20th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I must say that is a rather weird name. I've never even heard of an Ibex. That will sound rather odd when talking about it. "Did you hear what's planed for Intrepid?" I'll probably get used to it though.

Ive got a feeling people are going to get bored saying "intrepid" and start calling it "ibex".

p_quarles
February 20th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Threads merged. I'm guessing we'll probably see a tide of new ones like this over the next few days.

See the first post in the thread for a graphical depiction of the Ibex.

Mazza558
February 20th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Ive got a feeling people are going to get bored saying "intrepid" and start calling it "ibex".

Same here.

justin whitaker
February 20th, 2008, 08:44 PM

Don't give people ideas! :)

Seisen
February 20th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Alrighty then.......... :lolflag:

bobbybobington
February 20th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I think Ibex sounds cool :guitar: but I don't know how to pronounce it yet :confused: )

jsmidt
February 21st, 2008, 03:03 AM
I hope they make laptops a priority. Mobile computing is still a weak point in Linux.

Please focus on:

1. Networking
2. Power Management

vishzilla
February 21st, 2008, 04:35 AM
Intrepid (the fearless) Ibex. I like it!

Darkhack
February 21st, 2008, 04:39 AM
I think Ibex sounds cool :guitar: but I don't know how to pronounce it yet :confused: )

"eye-becks". It's a long 'i' sound.

roaldz
February 21st, 2008, 03:42 PM
"eye-becks". It's a long 'i' sound.

Yeah, and what about ¨Intrepid¨? Well, I´ve always been better in typing than in pronouncing..

Roald

graabein
February 25th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Weird name, but then again, I'm not English. Ibex is fine though.

I don't care what the versions are called, I like the naming scheme but I generally refer to the versions by number rather than name since there's so many names now.

Not long until 8.04 now! ;-)

steveneddy
February 25th, 2008, 02:13 PM
lol - on the first page, every other poster was either an admin or a mod.

:D

Arkenzor
February 25th, 2008, 02:17 PM

Kubuntu 9.04 Kewl Klingon it is.

Well, the "always-on" networking sounds intriguing. I assume this means massively improved wireless, but at the same time, an increased dependency on the net for some things. I guess the Ibex will automatically try and connect to a network if it's in range and wireless is on.

What about an OLPC-like mesh (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Mesh_Network_Details) by default between all 8.10 computers? Now that'd be sexy.

(Oh yeah I just connected through your home ADSL and DL'd *censored* videos and you're going to jail not me! 8D)

p_quarles
February 25th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Kubuntu 9.04 Kewl Klingon it is)
No, no, no. I didn't mean naming it after Klingons, I meant using names from their language. E.g:

Ubuntu 9.04 nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
Again, I am against this practice.

Luffield
February 25th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I like this name a lot, I love... um, ibexes?
Come to think of it, what will the alphas be called? Do ibexes hang out in herds? Something else? Or will the alpha versions be called alphas, like on Hardy?