PDA

View Full Version : Bad Mojo For Red Hat?

KingBahamut
September 29th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Linux misses Windows of opportunity. Crest Electronics chose a Linux operating system, then seven months on, the company chose to abandon it for Windows. Mr Horton says. ".. the machine would basically, putting it in Windows terms, core dump or blue screen at random. It would run for weeks or so and then just bang, it would stop....I fully support Linux but if I had to make the decision again I'd pick Windows. A big reason is the fact Windows was up and running in two hours at all the right patch levels. The installation of SAP took two days on Windows, the installation on Linux Red Hat took two weeks. The total cost of ownership is actually lower in this case than with Linux because of the hidden costs of the support.

External Links
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2005/09/26/1127586780339.html?from=top5

Ok well right off here, I can say that SAP implementations period are distasteful. Of course as a few people know Im biased on this for a reason. Ive never seen a Redhat box "blue screen" is that actually what happened? No SAP implementation , with the full product in line, that Ive seen takes just 2 days, this is a clear over-exaggeration. Hidden costs of support? I was fairly sure that RH was open and expressive about its Support policies. Unless Im wrong...wich is very likely possible.

bob_c_b
September 29th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Ok well right off here, I can say that SAP implementations period are distasteful. Of course as a few people know Im biased on this for a reason. Ive never seen a Redhat box "blue screen" is that actually what happened? No SAP implementation , with the full product in line, that Ive seen takes just 2 days, this is a clear over-exaggeration. Hidden costs of support? I was fairly sure that RH was open and expressive about its Support policies. Unless Im wrong...wich is very likely possible.

You are absolutely correct, I have never seen any SAP implementation on any platform take 2 days, in my experience 2 weeks to get truly functional is impressive. I read this article earlier and I can't really tell what the spin is, but his whole timeline and level of expectations with SAP are way, way off.

GardenCity
October 1st, 2005, 08:55 PM
As annoying as the constant need to defend Open Source in general and Linux in particular is it tells me something loud and clear: Redmont is worried. No school bully that is used to getting his own way for so long is going to go down quietly especially when he knows his reign of oppression is up. I'm not one of those that thinks Microsoft will be wiped out. They will, however, have to change their ways and we have seen that already. They no longer have the total freedom to gouge and smother as they once had; heck just the fact that they feel the need to actually defend themselves is a major change - welcome to the real world MS. All bullies find their match some day and your's is the ubiquitous Linux.
As an aside - came across this site featuring Ubuntu articles:
http://www.findingfacts.com/L3/L3_1_4_6.php