PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Email Client?

lockenkeyster
December 3rd, 2004, 06:35 PM
Just out of curiousity, I was wondering how many of you are using evolution, thunderbird, etc.

I personally liked evolution, but moved to thunderbird to try it out and haven't gone back...

jdodson
December 3rd, 2004, 06:39 PM
gmail.

lockenkeyster
December 3rd, 2004, 06:43 PM
haha, that's the one that I don't use non-web for... I probably wouldn't even be asking this if I didn't have a separate work account, huh?

zenwhen
December 3rd, 2004, 06:53 PM
I use Thunderbird as well. I wanted to like evolution but the simplicity of Thunderbird drug me back.

TravisNewman
December 3rd, 2004, 07:02 PM
Thunderbird/gmail together. They play nicely. POP3 support in webmail is fantastic. I hope they don't decide to charge for it when they go gold.

amoser
December 3rd, 2004, 07:03 PM
I like the simplicity of thunderbird to, but really get me is the spam filter, it is the best in the world. Why? Because you tell it what is spam, and what is not spam. I also use gmail :)

~Alan

drac
December 3rd, 2004, 07:26 PM
On linux I've used:
Mozilla Mail (some probemes with the account) -> Sylpheed -> Sylpheed Claws
(cannot write unicode characters) -> Mozilla Thunderbird.

Too bad that Sylpheed Claws it's not ported to GTK2 and then add some HIG love...

Evolution2 is nice too, way better than 1.4.

Thunderbird it is, it laks the "Remove duplicates" function though, which could come in handy sometimes...

cabu
December 3rd, 2004, 07:35 PM
I definitely prefer Thunderbird. I used Kmail for a long time prior to that, until I discovered the junk mail controls in Thunderbird. That and it's simple to setup/use.

oddabe19
December 3rd, 2004, 07:41 PM
Gmail extension for Firefox....

i personally don't like using any e-mail clients.... i use webbased.

wallijonn
December 3rd, 2004, 08:40 PM
Evolution

because I can backup my mail to a .pst type file. (unlike Thunderbird)
because it looks pretty (much better than the old Evolution under Red Hat 9)
because I can download mail & still keep it on my email server (POP)
because I can use POP and IMAP
because I also use Outlook2000, so it has the same look & feel of Outlook.
because I use web-based Yahoo Mail as my spam catcher
because I use fastmail as my "real" email account.

BWF89
December 3rd, 2004, 09:17 PM
The only email client I have ever gotten to work was Micro$oft Inbox...

adbak
December 4th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Before reading this thread, I preferred Evolution, because that's the only one that I ever used.

But upon reading this, I installed Thunderbird and noticed one thing. In Evolution, one of my teachers had sent me two different emails that showed up as having arrived 31 December 1969, which is well before my birth. In Thunderbird, those same emails show up as having arrived 15 February 2040.

Just a little anecdote I thought I'd share with y'all.

[Edit - split a paragraph]

mark
December 4th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Mozilla Mail (since I use the Suite browser, this is reasonable). I may move to Thunderbird in the near future, but MM suits me for now.

ra1
December 8th, 2004, 12:47 PM
I prefer Thunderbird and Sylpheed Claws

paulle
December 8th, 2004, 01:42 PM
i use thunderbird, it has all i need and is simple to use. evolution maybe the better choice for workgroups.
the only thing i miss is sunbird as a deb.

JsPr
December 8th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Evolution because I can sync my Palm.

p!=f
December 8th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Evolution because of Exchange server at work and it also fits my needs perfectly. :)

TravisNewman
December 8th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Hmm. Sylpheed Claws looks pretty slick, I might have to try it when I get off work.

Jspired
December 9th, 2004, 09:17 AM
I like Evolution for all the reasons already mentioned, followed by Sylpheed Claws.

javaman
December 9th, 2004, 09:38 AM
I chose other, because I use M2.

HungSquirrel
December 9th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Sylpheed claws is awesome if you don't need junk mail controls. Unfortunately, I do, and I love Thunderbird's junk mail controls.

p!=f
December 9th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Sylpheed claws is awesome if you don't need junk mail controls. Unfortunately, I do, and I love Thunderbird's junk mail controls.
I don't use Sylpheed Claws but found this package so I suppose it's capable of controling the junk/spam mail.
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/mail/sylpheed-claws-spamassassin

frankps
December 9th, 2004, 04:05 PM
I use Thunderbird as my main e-mail client, as I am using IMAP and then have more or less the same client for my three plattforms MacOS X, Windows and Linux.

Leif
March 21st, 2005, 10:23 PM
I use Evolution for the Palm sync, but would it kill them to have expunge run every time I delete/move a message ? I hate it when I shut down the computer at home quickly, turn up at work, open a different mail client and be greeted by all the spam I thought I'd deleted.

kassetra
March 21st, 2005, 10:38 PM
I've had some wonky issues using thunderbird and all my pop / imap accounts at the same time... so I've stuck with Evolution - because for my accounts, nothing funky turns up. heh.

poofyhairguy
March 21st, 2005, 11:01 PM
My favorite is Gmail.....

jwb
March 22nd, 2005, 01:19 AM
I like Evolution. Thunderbird is OK too. But at work, I have to seriously keep track of all my incoming and outgoing mail- and I haven't found a way to filter *outgoing* mail in Thunderbird. So I stick to Evolution to CMA.

If T-Bird had that (and maybe it does and I missed it), I'd probably switch. Evolution has taken to crashing if I cut and paste material from other apps- quite annoying.

carlc
March 22nd, 2005, 04:12 AM
I use Gmail and Evolution. Gmail seems to do a great job filtering spam so my email is pretty clean by the time it gets to Evolution. The main reason I use Evolution is because it includes a calender, to do list, etc. that I can sync with my Palm Pilot.

TravisNewman
March 22nd, 2005, 04:19 AM
Wow, this is an oldie ;)
I tried Sylpheed Claws, and Sylpheed. I DO like my applications to look nice, since I have to look at them all the time, and these didn't look that great. But you could customize it and change that.
But when using them, it just didn't seem to be intuitive, in the way I expect it anyway. So I'm sticking with Thunderbird. And hopefully we'll have fully customizable labels soon.

mario8723
March 22nd, 2005, 07:38 AM
I have used both Evolution (my current mail client on Ubuntu) and T-Bird on XP. Both have junk mail controls, but it doesn't seem that Evolution's works? I mark everything as junk, then the next day I get the same email from the same source and there it is in my inbox. T-Bird would automatically clear the same junk immediately upon opening the program. Maybe I'm missing something with Evolution, and I love it otherwise. However, if I can't find out how to fix the spam problem, I'm probably moving back to T-Bird...

Slapdash
March 22nd, 2005, 10:46 AM
EVOLUTION! it rocks. I work in a MS Outlook envoirenment and its THE ONLY app that i can use that lets me do the same as the other people with Outlook and be able to use our office's Exchange Server.

I do use Firefox as the browser though so i'm not dissing or ditching mozilla ;)

Just that Evolution incorporates everything I need in an office enviorenment. I also use it at home as a matter of fact.

dizzie
March 22nd, 2005, 12:35 PM
I use mutt...

Only client that works with a ssh connection

Actually, 'mail' - mutt - or pine- does

I know some fancy UI clients exists, but with mutt, all my mails stay at the same place... in my inbox on the same pc

Let alone Evolution and Thunderbird + etc. They all look nice and act nice too, but for simplicity i prefer mutt at all times

defkewl
March 22nd, 2005, 04:04 PM
Thunderbird rocks. Kinda look like Outlook Express don't you think? :-?

Yukonjack
March 22nd, 2005, 06:54 PM
Sylpheed-gtk2 and Gmail

lorenzo
May 26th, 2005, 05:50 PM
My best? Without any doubt: Outlook 2003! (I'm not joking). In the last couple of years I've been back and forth from Windows to Linux distros... And one of the main reasons to switch back to windows was Outlook (Apart from SAP Client...).

Meanwhile, when on Linux I'm using Thunderbird, waiting for a PIM that can replace Outlook (not Evolution, almost for sure). I don't like "plain text mail", I don't like webmail. Is it so strange? I need a good PIM for my job and for my leisure too.

Please, don't tell me "go back to windows, then". You may like M$ or hate it but it's undeniable that they have made some good software too. And I hope to see some results sooner or later. I'll use all open source software as long as it does't reduce my working efficiency.

Meanwile: many thanks for all the effort you put in open sources projects.

bored2k
May 26th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Gmail .

Kyral
May 26th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Thunderbird for my POP accounts

Firefox + The GMail Notifier for my GMail Account (God that plugin rocks :D )

Monchy
May 26th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Thunderbird - It does exactly what i want it to do.;)
I also like the integrated e-mail program that comes with Opera.

kb00heda
May 26th, 2005, 06:30 PM
I used to have Thunderbird going, but tried out Pine, and then switched to Evolution as I got Ubuntu. Mainly this was due to Evolution being the default mail application in Ubuntu. Also, it has a nice calendar (and handeling of tasks), which is not default in Thunderbird (though Sunbird or an extension may be used). I left Pine as it wasn't to be found in the repositories (guess it is not totally free in some sense).

In short: Evolution. :)

pdk001
May 26th, 2005, 06:43 PM
i recently use Gmail instead of hotmail, but still using M$ messenger
i will switch when Gmail messenger is release

dataw0lf
May 26th, 2005, 06:45 PM
mutt baby!

Or Thunderbird, if someone forces me into a GUI.

=]

David Kaisemann
May 26th, 2005, 07:20 PM
By default: gmail.com

For one of my work accounts: Evolution

jonrkc
May 27th, 2005, 12:13 AM
My favorite email client is Eudora, unfortunately not available for Linux (and even more unfortunately not open-source). My second favorite is Poco Mail, to which the same comments apply.

I use Thunderbird but reluctantly and consider it possibly the worst single piece of software I've ever encountered, let alone been more or less forced to use. The filters are a joke. The user interface is poor. Attention to detail is seemingly non-existent. (For example, the last action performed remains visible in the status bar till you perform another action that uses the status bar--even if it's five hours later. For another example, if you forget to put a recipient in your composed email, the program STARTS TO SEND IT before it notices and tells you--this is inexcusable.)

I long for a client with sophisticated filtering like Eudora or Poco Mail. I wonder if it will ever happen. (I tried Evolution and was not too unfavorably impressed, but I already have a calendar and Palm sync'ing through JPilot, minimalistic but a superb performer, so I didn't want the redundancy that Evolution would be giving me.)

Sorry to sound so negative, but this touches on a really sore spot with me. I'm embarrassed every time I open up Thunderbird or go to use it. And yet so many say it's just great. Have they ever used Eudora? I'd put Thunderbird about on a par with Outlook--I had to use it before I retired, at the office, and was appalled at its clumsiness.

I read a comment by a seasoned email user recently, to the effect that there are NO good email clients. I tend to agree.

TravisNewman
May 27th, 2005, 12:35 AM
there really aren't any great email clients, but there are good ones :) Personally I think Thunderbird and Evolution are top-notch, but to each his own. You might like sylpheed or sylpheed-claws.

Eudora's filtering was amazing, but I didn't care for it past that. I used it for years because, though I didn't like it, I HATED Outlook and Outlook Express, and it was the best around until Thunderbird (my opinion, of course).

But yes, I'd suggest giving one of the sylpheed cousins a shot :) claws looks better and has more functionality.

jonrkc
May 27th, 2005, 12:58 AM
[...] I'd suggest giving one of the sylpheed cousins a shot :) claws looks better and has more functionality.
Thanks! I'll look into both.

TravisNewman
May 27th, 2005, 12:59 AM
they're both apt-gettable from the universe repository, just so you know :) You might not get the newest, but if you just want to play around with it and see what you think, it's not a bad idea.

Gsibbery
May 27th, 2005, 12:49 PM
I have been a PINE user since 1996, and it's still my favourite email client. But really nowadays, I use mostly web based Email.

Optimal Aurora
May 28th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Personally I like mozilla-thunderbird although, when I was using Kubuntu, I learned to use Kontact and KMail (no offense to anybody, but I dislike those two).

Added: I forgot that since I have the passport thing of MSN, I have to use Firefox to get to it though.

Mr Frosti
September 15th, 2005, 01:41 AM
I am in a tough situation. I work in a Microsoft environment and I would really like for my email client to be able to support the Exchange server. I am constantly torn between Evolution and Thunderbird.

Evolution has calendar support which allows me to accept and send invitations. Also, these events are shown on my Gnome clock at a quick glance. Excellent integration. I love the global address book automatic setup,

Thunderbird on the other hand has some of the best Junk filters I have ever had the pleasure to work with. Highly customizable. You have to painfully setup the Global Address book support, but it can be done. It doesn't seem to be as streamlined as Evolution.

Both crash a good amount of the time however. I would like something that is stable, fast, and has excellent Spam control. I think they are both moving in the right direction.

XDevHald
September 15th, 2005, 01:43 AM
Deffinently Mozilla Thunderbird, hopefully we can get the 1.5b1 out on the backports :)

Thunderbird on the other hand has some of the best Junk filters I have ever had the pleasure to work with. Highly customizable.

Very true and yes it can be a pain to set the address book one at a time :(

Kapre
September 15th, 2005, 02:01 AM
Mozilla Thunderbird is my choice and Evolution is 2nd.

K

Galoot
September 15th, 2005, 02:16 AM
I also like the integrated e-mail program that comes with Opera.Opera's client gets my vote.

Then again, most everything Opera gets my vote.

bearbigears
September 15th, 2005, 02:27 AM
i use thunderbird, but anything that is not microsoft related will wiork just fine with me.

escuchamezz
September 15th, 2005, 02:38 AM
outlook xp is very nice, haven't really tried thunderbird yet. Evolution looks good too.

aysiu
September 15th, 2005, 03:04 AM
I like how in Thunderbird, I can delete and mark junk mail as junk by just pressing "J."

AgenT
October 5th, 2005, 02:03 AM
I read a comment by a seasoned email user recently, to the effect that there are NO good email clients. I tend to agree.
"All mail clients suck. This one just sucks less." -Mutt (http://www.mutt.org) author, circa 1995

bmbeeman
October 5th, 2005, 04:01 AM
I use Evolution because I'm too lazy to install something else and that's what came with my installation.

Maggot
October 5th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Web Mail. I stopped using email clients a long time ago.

Omnios
October 5th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Web Mail. I stopped using email clients a long time ago.

Second that, I use Rogers.yahoo mail which is a fancy yahoo web mail. Basicly though limited it does have filters but more importantly lets me go through the mail deating miltiple spam useualy filtered at a time by clicking the check box. I can also either leave it on the server or download it to my main email.

Goober
October 5th, 2005, 06:30 AM
I use the Web (Firefox) to access my accounts. It doesn't take that long, plus I am too lazy to figure out how to get Evolution/Thunderbird to get my Hotmail, College Account, and Yahoo Account all synchronized.

noumaan
September 8th, 2006, 03:09 AM
I use Gmail+Thunderbird but gmail just rocks. All I need is a nice gmail notify applet for my panel.

maniacmusician
September 8th, 2006, 03:11 AM
have you tried checkgmail?

SoundMachine
September 8th, 2006, 03:14 AM
Kontact of course, but i voted kmail.

SoundMachine
September 8th, 2006, 03:15 AM
have you tried checkgmail?

Or Kontakt with Gmail or Hotmail or Yahoo.

As usual, the KDE proggies are way WAY ahead. :D

maniacmusician
September 8th, 2006, 03:22 AM
yeah, KDE is generally pretty good for most things. Checkgmail is fine for what I need, so its not really a big deal for me. I prefer xfce, actually, it's a fun system. though it does need to be spruced up a little. But all in good time, i suppose.

SoundMachine
September 8th, 2006, 03:43 AM
yeah, KDE is generally pretty good for most things. Checkgmail is fine for what I need, so its not really a big deal for me. I prefer xfce, actually, it's a fun system. though it does need to be spruced up a little. But all in good time, i suppose.

Well if they spruce it up it has lost it's purpose.

But then there is always OpenBox and FluxBox, both of which i prefer to XFCE so i won't cry. ;)

newlinux
September 8th, 2006, 04:09 AM
I use gmail and evolution. Although I might go to Thunderbird, based on all the comments.

maniacmusician
September 8th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Well if they spruce it up it has lost it's purpose.

But then there is always OpenBox and FluxBox, both of which i prefer to XFCE so i won't cry. ;)
by spruce it up i meant add more programs and increase some features that are lacking. i certainly don't expect it to go KDE lol. i've tried both open and flux...they were pretty good, but i think xfce offers a better balance between being lightweight and yet not too bare.

nu2this
September 8th, 2006, 04:23 AM
Thunderbird,
I use it because it was intuitve from the get go,one of the few apps where I never needed to use the help.

xGutsAndGloryx
June 25th, 2007, 05:18 PM
what's your favorite mail client?

LookTJ
June 25th, 2007, 05:24 PM
thunderbird.

karellen
June 25th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I use evolution in ubuntu and outlook 2007 in windows, both suits my needs very well

LookTJ
June 25th, 2007, 06:16 PM
On the desktop, I use Thunderbird. On the browser, use gmail.

Peter6218
September 18th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Eudora in several flavours. I started with it about 10 years ago and have tried others. Nothing else comes near it for features and ease of use. Have run it on Xandros using Crossover and it is quite good. Trying to get it to run on Feisty.

Get that and I'm only left with getting Mozilla to work and I can switch to Feisty from XP.

plb
September 18th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I have mutt setup to fetch/send using my gmail...works for me. If anyone is interested in setting it up just visit my blog below. I use debian but should work for ubuntu just the same

tom-ubuntu
September 18th, 2007, 05:10 PM
I am using Evolution for years and I am happy with it. It is getting better with every version and fits my needs pretty well. Waiting for the new version with Gnome 2.20.

regomodo
September 18th, 2007, 09:15 PM
i dont use one despite having 3 e-mail accounts

karellen
September 18th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I've just discovered sylpheed claws and for now I'm gonna stick with it. it's fast and powerful

diskotek
September 19th, 2007, 12:26 AM
sylpheed-claws: fast and nice or enough for me.

joe.turion64x2
September 19th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Evolution here. I used Mozilla mail before, Thunderbird after that, but after finding the excellent integration/organization provided by Evolution (mail, contacts, calendar, Gnome), I went only Evolution and never looked back.

Long ago are the days I used...argh...Outlook Express.

Thanks.
Joe.

tylerdjefferson
September 19th, 2007, 02:46 AM
I would have to say none of these because gmail is simply amazing.

mivo
September 19th, 2007, 03:36 AM
I use Kmail for both personal and business email. The integration with Kontact, the PIM, was the deciding factor. I had used Outlook 2xxx for several years, then Thunderbird for two or three years, and now Kmail/Kontact. Really satisfied with it, too, and it offers more features to me than Thunderbird (a good client as well, if all you do is mail).

syxbit
September 27th, 2007, 01:52 AM
seeing as most people use thunderbird, shouldn't ubuntu switch its default from evolution?

CulleyS
September 27th, 2007, 06:33 PM
In Ubuntu, I use Evolution. I have it configured for Gmail with POP, my University email with IMAP, and my work with Exchange.

I also use Outlook. I really hate to say it, but Microsoft Exchange 2007 is great. One of the few things Microsoft has gotten right. I simply cannot work efficiently without all of the calendar features in Outlook/Exchange 2007.

I also use Fastmail, Yahoo, and Gmail as web clients. Yahoo for online shopping account, Gmail for friends, and Fastmail for spam.

I've tried Neomail, Squirrelmail, and Horde as well as far as services go for other accounts I've had.

I tried to get Thunderbird to work in Windows environment last month, but it literally froze up every time I tired to import my Outlook folders and stored messages.

So, Evolution is my favorite for an Ubu environment and Outlook/Exchange/OWA for Windows. Web clients do very little for me, except house spam. :)

Phrawm48
September 27th, 2007, 08:12 PM
The Feisty repositories include Thunderbird 1.5, but I run a "private" instance of Thunderbird 2 I put in a sub-directory in my home folder.

Using T'bird 2 lets me consolidate multiple Web-based accounts into a single program and run the latest T'bird features and add-ons. With regard to add-ons, the Lightning calendar add-on enables me to consolidate multiple local and remote calendars into a single calendar instance within T'bird 2.

My only problem, albeit a small one, is email notification. I use the T'bird biff add-on to provide a new mail notification in the status bar of my Firefox 2 browser (again a "private" instance so that I can run the most current "point release" of the product). I'm trying to get the gviff panel applet to work, but have not yet been able to do so.

Final note. Be attentive if you copy-and-paste a Windows-based T'bird profile, especially prefs.js into a Linux profile. Most of the profile will work properly (such as email account configurations), but anything in prefs.js that references a Windows "C:\..." file path will misbehave if not refuse to work outright...

Cheers & hope this helps,
Ric
SFO

Paqman
October 2nd, 2007, 03:09 PM
seeing as most people use thunderbird, shouldn't ubuntu switch its default from evolution?

Good question. As a long-time Thunderbird user I decided to try Evolution for a while after switching to Ubuntu. I'm now back using Thunderbird. I found Evolution was weak at handling spam compared to the Mozilla beastie.

An option in the Ubuntu installer to specify the initial software might a nice idea.

savemekaizer
October 2nd, 2007, 03:13 PM
Thunderbird/gmail together. They play nicely. POP3 support in webmail is fantastic. I hope they don't decide to charge for it when they go gold.

Totally agree with this.
I've been using Thunderbird with my Gmail account for quite a while, and I havent been dissapointed one time. :)

BDNiner
October 2nd, 2007, 03:18 PM
I really like Thunderbird, but Evolution can connect to Exchange servers so that is what i use at work. If Thunderbird sometime in the future gets access to Exchange servers then i will use that exclusively.

NJC
October 2nd, 2007, 03:36 PM
Thunderbird.

I started using it a few yrs ago in Win and it was a good fit for shared mailboxes in a dualboot Win/Linux config.

multifaceted
October 2nd, 2007, 04:17 PM
Thunderbird!.... it's just so cut and dry. It downloads your mail and is easy to organize and customize. Some say it's inferior because there is not native calender support BUT!..... The Lightning Calender extension is brilliant and works precise, effectively and with the same ease.

Heck, I've used T-bird for nearly 3 years. Way before I converted to Linux.

KCPokes
October 2nd, 2007, 04:46 PM
I use Zimbra for all my mail, which is a server rather then a client, but its hard to beat their webbased client. Think of it as opensource Outlook (email, calendar, contacts, etc..).

Incense
October 2nd, 2007, 05:56 PM
I really want to like Kmail because of how great the rest of Kontact is, but it just doesn't do it for me. I hope KDE4 kmail is better.

herbster
October 2nd, 2007, 06:22 PM
Been using Claws Mail for the longest, just switching to Thunderbird now, though. Really, really liking it.

dfmalh
October 15th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Hi, I am new to Ububtu/Linux, and have recently migrated from a XP environment, using Outlook. I am trying out different mail clients at the moment to see what works best for me...

I have tried Evolution (the standard mail client that comes with Ubuntu), and was quite happy with what I got. I could set it up to receive my POP mail, and Gmail as well as retrieve email from my university (Exchange) mail account. Overall it has everything what most people will ever need and more.

Then I tried Thunderbird. Again I was able to set up accounts to retrieve email from a POP account, Gmail AND my university (Exchange) account. To set up the account for Exchange it is different in that when you select the account, it is IMAP and not Exchange (as in Evolution). From there it is just as simple as setting up a POP account.

The two main things that I REALLY LIKE in Thunderbird is:

1. you can have different mail boxes set up for each account you have, and have then open at the same time, rather than downloading your mail from the different accounts into one inbox and then sending then to different folders with incoming mail rules/filters

2. the second thing that is very convenient is that you can have more than one SMTP servers set up. One is then the default, acting the same as a default email account. So say most of your email is send/received at work that would be your default SMTP. When you are home, and you use a different SMTP (which usually is the case), you just select the other pre-set up SMTP account and send your emails. No more editing you Account at home then changing it back at work...

For now I am trying out Mozilla Sunbird as my Calender and Task manager, will see how it goes... (I was unable to install/add Lightning...)

So I would recommend Thunderbird to anyone who are still unsure as to what email client to use, and are also switching from Outlook in XP to Ubuntu.

FredB
October 15th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Thunderbird because I use it since version 0.1 :)

Vaderdarth211
October 15th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Can any email clients do http. like outlook

JurB
October 15th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Gmail, good spamfilter and available everywhere.

t0p
October 15th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Evolution, cos I can get my "work" mail and my gmail through it. And cos it's the only client I've ever used. Maybe it's the crappiest and as soon as I try another I'll switch. But I haven't got round to trying another yet...

misfitpierce
October 15th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I like just using Gmail online... :)

Onyros
October 15th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Right now I'm using mutt for the bulk of my emails (simple text); also have Claws Mail setup, and my work email/environment is Evolution.

But, by far, my favourite is mutt.

philven
November 3rd, 2007, 05:51 PM
I'm using Evolution only because it syncs with my Palm Pilot. If they could get Thunderbird and Sunbird (or Lightning) to sync with Palm. Evolution doesn't filter spam worth a damn. Thunderbird worked a lot better. I originally tried it when I converted to Linux from Windows because I used T-bird in Windows. I found out I could sync my Palm in Evolution and went to that instead. If spam filtering worked in Evolution, I would be completely happy.

KOld Iron
November 3rd, 2007, 06:18 PM
Thunderbird.

Simply because it was one of the steps to prepare my switch from Windows to Linux. So I have been using it with XP ever since it was possible to do IMAP with it and now I still use it with Ubuntu. So far I did not feel the need to look for something else.

helliewm
November 3rd, 2007, 06:53 PM
Mulberry is also good www,mulberrymail.com. Its available for Linux and is a bit like the Pegaus client that is ******* and Mac only.

Helen

w7kmc
November 3rd, 2007, 07:33 PM
Evolution, It seems a bit faster than Thunderbird for me

walkerk
November 3rd, 2007, 07:34 PM
Swiftdove :)

bailout
November 4th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Other - Opera

jerrylamos
November 4th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Other - Yahoo, AOL, Google mail - I run on more than one computer and can access my mail from any of them. I think this helps a lot as I like to try alpha and beta Ubuntu daily builds as they come out.....when's Heron going to show up?
Jerry

NoSmokingBandit
November 4th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Thunderbird for me. Its simple and easy and it does what i need without a whole lot of extra. I used evolution for a while, but i missed thunderbird and went back.

jimhu
November 11th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Other- Web based Yahoo,MSN,Gmail

Frak
November 11th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Thunderbird, though I do give credit to Novel for Evolution.

potentia
November 13th, 2007, 03:12 AM
Thunderbird/gmail/Google Calender together. Sweet.

jrusso2
November 13th, 2007, 03:21 AM
My favorite email client is Eudora, unfortunately not available for Linux (and even more unfortunately not open-source). My second favorite is Poco Mail, to which the same comments apply.

I use Thunderbird but reluctantly and consider it possibly the worst single piece of software I've ever encountered, let alone been more or less forced to use. The filters are a joke. The user interface is poor. Attention to detail is seemingly non-existent. (For example, the last action performed remains visible in the status bar till you perform another action that uses the status bar--even if it's five hours later. For another example, if you forget to put a recipient in your composed email, the program STARTS TO SEND IT before it notices and tells you--this is inexcusable.)

I long for a client with sophisticated filtering like Eudora or Poco Mail. I wonder if it will ever happen. (I tried Evolution and was not too unfavorably impressed, but I already have a calendar and Palm sync'ing through JPilot, minimalistic but a superb performer, so I didn't want the redundancy that Evolution would be giving me.)

Sorry to sound so negative, but this touches on a really sore spot with me. I'm embarrassed every time I open up Thunderbird or go to use it. And yet so many say it's just great. Have they ever used Eudora? I'd put Thunderbird about on a par with Outlook--I had to use it before I retired, at the office, and was appalled at its clumsiness.

I was hoping the Eudora plugin for Thunderbird would have the Eudora spam filters but it uses the Thunderbird ones :(

seventhc
November 26th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I use Mutt and I don't know any other client that I've used in the past that can compare to it's speed. I have used thunderbird, evolution, and a long time ago even used outlook and outlook express, and a bunch more that I can't even remember. When I was doing tech support I tried a bunch just so I knew the interface and setup to help the customers.
Now Mutt might be hard to use at first, but once you learn it, nothing beats it. It is also highly configurable, works well with gnupgp, I could go on forever but unless you try it, it's hard to explain it's power and speed.
I'm actually new to Mutt, but it will be my client for a very long time, or maybe even forever. :D

guillelo11
November 26th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Evolution

50words
November 26th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I like Claws, but I also use Evolution. I hope Evolution's developers keep moving forward, though, because it is still a long way behind Outlook.

GSF1200S
November 26th, 2007, 11:39 PM
I use Kmail for both personal and business email. The integration with Kontact, the PIM, was the deciding factor. I had used Outlook 2xxx for several years, then Thunderbird for two or three years, and now Kmail/Kontact. Really satisfied with it, too, and it offers more features to me than Thunderbird (a good client as well, if all you do is mail).

+1

I liked evolution, and I used Tbird for a while, but Kontact takes the cake for me. I especially like how it sits in the system tray with a little icon that tells me how many unread emails I have. It plays "mail mutha*****" everytime a new one rolls in and seems to have an intutive layout.

mekgp
November 30th, 2007, 07:31 AM
GMail drags all my email in. No need for an standalone client that I can tell. I've used T-bird, Evolution, Mozilla Suite, Netscape Comm...etc etc etc

jojo4u
November 30th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Claws-Mail because I was disappointed with the filtering in Thunderbird. Evolution was better but not enough for my anti-spam measurements.

subs
November 30th, 2007, 01:04 PM
thunderbird - gmail with pop3:guitar:

matey3
February 22nd, 2008, 03:12 PM
could those who voted for t-bird tell me how they got to install it on ubuntu?

seventhc
February 22nd, 2008, 03:24 PM
could those who voted for t-bird tell me how they got to install it on ubuntu?
Applications>Add/Remove
do a search for thunderbird, it should be the first entry in the search result.
Put a check mark in the box and click Apply Changes. :)

matey3
February 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Applications>Add/Remove
do a search for thunderbird, it should be the first entry in the search result.
Put a check mark in the box and click Apply Changes. :)

Thanks for the kind reply.
I am new to this so I think I must have loaded something else I mean my X. bcs I dont have any add/remove in the apps section ?!
I looked in Places and System sections as well but there was nothing like that even in the administration?! (the admin sect. starts with "keyring mgr" and ends with "users and group.."

Any ways when I run any of those files (like thunderbird) I get this:

./thunderbird-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Does T-Bird have to go in certain folder?

thanks!

bruce89
February 22nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the kind reply.
I am new to this so I think I must have loaded something else I mean my X. bcs I dont have any add/remove in the apps section ?!
I looked in Places and System sections as well but there was nothing like that even in the administration?! (the admin sect. starts with "keyring mgr" and ends with "users and group.."

Not sure why gnome-app-install has gone AWOL, but try this:

sudo aptitude install mozilla-thunderbird

seventhc
February 22nd, 2008, 05:01 PM
It's gone???
I would check here...go to
System>Preferences>Main Menu
the left pane should have Applications highlighted
then look in the left pane, at the bottom (you may have to scroll down)you should see Add/Remove.
Make sure there is a check in the box, this will make it show where it's supposed to be.
Or if you click on the Revert button on the bottom I think it resets to the default menu which would add it back if it's been unchecked, and in case your missing many entries.

erockusa
April 10th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I use mailpicker.com (http://mailpicker.com) to have access to all my mail accounts.

pieisgood4589
April 10th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Why would you even want to use a downloadable email client if you can just go online and use it? I find it redundant and often times its a pain to set up... GMail for the win! Especially for the open-source OS it's making for cell phones- android!

DigitalDuality
April 10th, 2008, 08:22 PM
d

Chame_Wizard
April 10th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Thunderbird+Gmail FTW:lolflag:

andahunter
April 10th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Thunderbird rocks i love it, but i prefer my gmail mail acc couse i can read my mail when ever i want via my mobile phone and via pc. But still id say Thunderbird/Gmail :D:D

urukrama
April 10th, 2008, 09:47 PM
For years I have used Opera's mail client. I am very happy with it (its filter system is great!), except that you can't create groups of contacts in an elegant way.

Just recently I've been testing some other email clients. Thunderbird wasn't what I wanted; Sylpheed Claws was a little nicer, but again not what I was looking for. Kmail, in combination with KAdressbook, is pretty impressive though. I'll probably go back to Opera, but if I ever want a good alternative, Kmail is what I'll use.

Foster Grant
April 11th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Why would you even want to use a downloadable email client if you can just go online and use it? I find it redundant and often times its a pain to set up... GMail for the win!

Thunderbird offers simple setup of Gmail's POP accounts. And Webmail leads to privacy and security issues — as noted in one of the other discussions on this topic, if you leave your mail on Google's servers you can't be sure they're not data-mining your e-mail.

tashmooclam
April 11th, 2008, 05:55 AM
I like Thunderbird, but Evolution seems to work better with F-Spot. So, I send things with the Evolution default. I use gmail for my personal email, and a yahoo mail account for all of my financial, bills, etc.

Gigamo
April 11th, 2008, 06:21 AM
I prefer mutt :) Here's a pic of my mutt setup

diskotek
April 11th, 2008, 06:43 AM
i'm using claws-mai (http://www.claws-mail.org/)l for a long time now... it's simply fast & ligh-weight, nice user-interface and can hold many mail accounts. also with plug-ins it really bites :) like rss reader.

Malcolm
April 11th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I second Claws Mail, I've only discovered it recently but it's really refreshing. It's fast, lightweight, has several interesting plugins, including one that makes it minimize/close to the system tray, and alert me when a new mail arrives, something that was quite difficult in both Thunderbird and Evolution (both can display the alerts... but no system tray icon!).

The spam filter (it can use either Bogofilter or Spamassassin, I'm using the former) started working immediately, like with Thunderbird, but very much unlike Evolution which seems to need to store hundreds of junk emails before filtering starts working.

It's very configurable, easy to use, and right now it's taking about 10 MB of RAM. From what I've seen so far, I can only recommend it. If you want to try it in Gutsy, be sure to add their own repository - the version in the Gutsy repos is pretty old.

badboyengineer
May 8th, 2009, 03:30 AM
I prefer Evolution :) via Exchange. Just wonderfull.

mikeyd612
July 1st, 2009, 05:05 AM
I've used Evolution for awhile and like it. But there is one thing that would turn me to another program instantly. Maybe another program has it. It is delayed sending of messages. I know with Outlook you can write a message and tell it to send at a certain time. Is there a Linux program that will do the same thing? I know you can accomplish this with some command line utilities but that is too much of a pain. You would think that this would not be too hard to implement.

Hey, I was just poking around and found that someone made a script for Thunderbird which allows for a delayed send for a message. If you're interested you can check it out here: http://www.unsignedbyte.com/?page_id=4

infestor
July 1st, 2009, 01:42 PM
I used Outlook 2003 a year ago because the company I worked in required so. If the rest is like this death to all of 'em!

elianthony
July 1st, 2009, 07:33 PM
I prefer gmail.

When I used a client I liked Opera's.

Arup
July 1st, 2009, 08:19 PM
Opera M2, handles huge mailboxes with ease and also multiple mail accounts.

swoll1980
July 1st, 2009, 09:42 PM
another vote for Thunderbird.

WorfSOM
July 1st, 2009, 10:46 PM
Thunderbird. I used Evolution for a time, and while i think it is a great client Thunderbird feels snappier to me.

treesurf
July 2nd, 2009, 12:48 AM
Gmail Offline

dragos240
July 2nd, 2009, 01:05 AM
Evolution. Zombie thread?

pmla
July 15th, 2009, 10:44 AM
It would be Thunderbird... If the lightning extension actually work for http and network calendars. It just sucks and is always giving the error MODIFICATION_FAILED

If you keep it simple and basic... Thunderbird works fine

if you need more out of Thunderbird ... like the lightning extension... you are in trouble

Rhapsody
July 15th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Still Thunderbird for me (tried KMail for a while, went back to Thunderbird), though the current version is getting on a bit (Thunderbird 2.x is effectively two years old now). It'd be a nice to see Thunderbird 3 being a part of Karmic, though that seems unlikely given that beta 2 is not currently a part of Karmic. Are there any plans to make Thunderbird 3 a part of Karmic or is that something that's going to be pushed to Karmic+1?

pmla
July 15th, 2009, 01:59 PM
"Thunderbird 2.x is effectively two years old now"

agree, as the lightning plugin is also old ... version 0.9????

Firefox integration with ubuntu is better, but still version 3.5 is not available in repositories????? I'm still using 3.0.11, I know I could download and install from other sources but I want it from the repositories.

TheNosh
July 15th, 2009, 02:57 PM
the one built in to opera

forrestcupp
July 15th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Outlook 2007

rileinc
July 15th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Thunderbird. i really wish they would update it as often as firefox. i probably will switch to evolution if no update pops out soon.

subdivision
July 15th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Slypheed.

doublewitt
January 3rd, 2010, 07:29 PM
KMail - because I like to "K" my way around!
I like the "K" collection very much...
But Kmail suits me fine. It does lots of things I need compared to some I've tried in the past years... the only thing missing (for me) is the option to view what's on the server (POP) and afterwards decide what to download or delete from the server...

... tried evolution - don't like it. I guess I've tried just about everything...! Even when I was in windows - there I tried them all. And so based on my experience, Kmail does the job for me. I'm very happy with it.

Kmail in Kontact

KONTACT includes:
- summary page
- kmail
- contacts
- calendar
- todo list
- rss feeds
- usenet
- journal
- notebooks
- popup notes
- time tracker

markp1989
January 3rd, 2010, 08:13 PM
recently i have been using sylpheed , easy to set up and light,

i dont know if has many advanced features, as i have no use for any

RabbitWho
January 3rd, 2010, 08:57 PM
Web based only. (Gmail.)

docus
January 4th, 2010, 04:50 PM
My impressions, based on my never-ending quest for the perfect email client...

Thunderbird - fast, very stable, seamless imap, good calendar (with lightning plugin), perfect HTML rendering, outstanding overall. To me, pretty much a faultless app. But I'm restless, so I try out others!

Evolution - Quite fast (it used to seem slow to me), quite stable (it used to crash on me), surprisingly light on system resources, nice integrated calendar, good gnome integration, excellent MS Outlook replacement. I can't get it to display HTML perfectly.

Claws Mail - fast, stable, VERY customisable, but poor at displaying HTML (with the 'fancy' plugin it displays HTML well, but when I reply to an HTML email it can't quote the HTML portion below - VERY frustrating!) I like this app a lot.

Sylpheed - very similar to Claws Mail but less customisable, less plugins, and a slightly more gnome-ish look (which I like).

Spicebird - based on Thunderbird so it's fast, but it doesn't seem quite so stable. It places mail, contacts and calendar on separate tabs for easy navigating, and it has a sort of home page tab that you can drop google applets onto, like iGoogle. Nice, but (for me) unnecessary. Doesn't seem to be in active development.

Balsa - couldn't get it to work for some reason! Froze when checking my imap inbox. A shame as I liked the look of it. I'll give it another go someday.

jaknong
September 15th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Thunderbird:love it because of the filter function

has anyone try zimbra desktop?

h3hound
December 30th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Thunderbird:love it because of the filter function

has anyone try zimbra desktop?

I tried Zimbra Desktop a long time ago in WinXP and it was pretty slick. Now I use Evolution/IMAP and I may try Zimbra again with Linux/Gnome-Shell.

duncan12
December 30th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I love Gmail and it's web based client - plus I get half my gmails on my Android phone.. so I don't use any desktop email client.

Potters Son
December 30th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I've never been able to stand desktop-based email clients... The whole "send/receive" dialog box only irritated me. Gmail is the way to go.

SLEEPER_V
December 31st, 2011, 07:03 AM
i use sylpheed. Its light and works great.

sirkeith
January 2nd, 2012, 12:32 AM
clawsmail.

BrokenKingpin
January 2nd, 2012, 05:07 AM
Thunderbird for now because of Google Calendar support. I like Claws a fair bit as well because it is lighter, but there is no Google Calendar support.

kellemes
January 2nd, 2012, 02:09 PM
Gmail.

BrokenKingpin
January 2nd, 2012, 05:30 PM
Gmail.
I am assuming you mean the gmail web client... as you can use gmail with just about any email client (such as Thunderbird).

Personally, I cannot stand the gmail web client, so I use Thunderbird to access gmail... makes it far more tolerable.

Duras
January 20th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Great thread for newbies like me. I picked Thunderbird which I sometimes used on Windows as well.