PDA

View Full Version : Question about Vista vs. Ubuntu

ahuman
February 20th, 2008, 03:38 AM
What's the best way to convince a die-hard Windows Vista user to switch to Ubuntu 7.10?

JoshuaRL
February 20th, 2008, 03:45 AM
What kind of user?

If they're into eye candy, show them Compiz with the rotating cube, wobbly windows, and transparent everything. Plus either conky or gdesklets.

If they're into speed show them Xubuntu loading faster on a really old computer faster than Vista.

If they're into software, show them Add/Remove with all repos enabled.

And then the standard answers:

Give them a Live CD
Tell them its free
Show how easy it is to install a dual-boot system.
Show them the forums. Nothing like it in Windows.

overdrank
February 20th, 2008, 03:46 AM
What's the best way to convince a die-hard Windows Vista user to switch to Ubuntu 7.10?

HI and there is none ( IMO), If they would like to try it that is great way to start. There are some great disto's out there and maybe they will find one they like. :)

icechen1
February 20th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Just ask him to go to badvista.org
What kind of user is it?Hardcore gamers will have (nearly) no chance to use linux for a long time due to the lack of games.

aysiu
February 20th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Start by introducing her to open source Windows programs. (http://www.opensourcewindows.org)

When she feels comfortable with open source programs, her transition to an open source operating system will be a lot easier than a cold transition.

steveneddy
February 20th, 2008, 03:50 AM
What kind of user?

If they're into eye candy, show them Compiz with the rotating cube, wobbly windows, and transparent everything. Plus either conky or gdesklets.

If they're into speed show them Xubuntu loading faster on a really old computer faster than Vista.

Give them a Live CD
Tell them its free

Those are great reasons.

bilge.tutak
February 20th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Do not spend your time. If he is not willing to do this on his own, every problem he faced with Ubuntu, even any linux will blow in your face. Just give the idea of Linux and Ubuntu to him, show him you are using it all the time (if you are). As people told, gamers will never leave windows :)

JoshuaRL
February 20th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Hardcore gamers may, repeat may be converted if the have no problems with paying for Cedega. Supposedly it's good for games and is about $5/month.

But I haven't used it, I really don't feel like paying for it.

raymac46
February 20th, 2008, 04:14 AM
He/She probably has an old system sitting around that is too crappy to run Vista. Install Ubuntu or Xubuntu on that as a second PC. It'll probably run as fast as Vista does.

KiwiNZ
February 20th, 2008, 04:28 AM
I have found the use of live CD very useful . As the user can try before they fly without risk to data.
Then if they want to go further I recommend dual boot
as they can again try with a backstop.

freebeer
February 20th, 2008, 05:20 AM

Let them keep using Vista. If that doesn't convince them, then there's no hope. (and also proof that the light is on, but nobody's home) :D

beercz
February 20th, 2008, 11:23 AM
http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

LightB
February 20th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I'm with the people saying "don't bother". You're just going to make a fool of yourself.

koleoptero
February 20th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Also if he/she has had problems with malware in windows, kindly explain that they won't have such problems in Linux. I accidentaly converted someone just by mentioning it. And by accidentally I mean I didn't mean to, and even more I don't want him to use Linux because of me, cause then he'll be pestering me with questions all the time. :lolflag:

mdsmedia
February 20th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I'm with the people saying "don't bother". You're just going to make a fool of yourself.I'm not sure about making a fool of yourself, but they need to WANT to change. You won't convince them, because as somebody else said, the slightest problem will be a negative for Linux, while all the usual problems in Windows are just that...usual.

Zlatan
February 20th, 2008, 01:35 PM

why should you...? he lets you choose your system, so should you?

DrMega
February 20th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Don't try. It is their choice. Show them Ubuntu by all means, even give them a copy of the LiveCD and let them have a play, but if you persuade them it will come back to haunt you.

If you persuade them to switch to Ubuntu, and then they don't like it...
1. They will give up and never try Linux again
2. They will blame you for their woes.

Linux is about freedom of choice, and part of the freedom of choice is the freedom not to choose it at all.

Lster
February 20th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Well, I don't know if everyone should convert to Ubuntu. If Vista does the job for them fine with no issues why create potentially more by moving to Ubuntu?

That said, I encourage some of my friends, that I think might benefit from the switch, to try it. I haven't got very far though... ;)

forrestcupp
February 20th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I'm not going to tell you, "don't bother." I'm going to ask you, "why bother?" If he likes Vista and is stoked about it, let him enjoy it. Contrary to popular belief on these forums, Vista is a pretty decent OS. Even though I'm usually in Ubuntu, I dual boot with Vista.

You'll save yourself a lot of grief if you just passively introduce Ubuntu to him. Let him see it on your computer without preaching to him. If he asks questions and becomes interested, take it the next step.

Some people are good candidates for Ubuntu. Die hard Vista fans are not in that group of people.

intense.ego
February 20th, 2008, 05:34 PM
What kind of user?

Give them a Live CD
Tell them its free

Great reasons, but you forgot to mention the fact that there is no (or hardly any) viruses, spyare, or malware. Even if there was some, linux does not allow it access to important files by default.

ahuman
February 20th, 2008, 10:30 PM
What kind of user?

Give them a Live CD
Tell them its free
I appreciate you. Thanks for your reply. He seems to be a Windows Vista-user, who hates computer-viruses, but he's not sure if he should switch to Ubuntu,

HI and there is none ( IMO), If they would like to try it that is great way to start. There are some great disto's out there and maybe they will find one they like. :)
I see what you mean. I appreciate you. Thanks for your kindness,

Quillz
February 20th, 2008, 11:32 PM
It's his/her computer, he/she can use whatever OS they choose for whatever reason they want. If they don't want to switch OS, just give it up. You can't force anyone to switch an OS. Believe it or not, Windows is used by 90% of the market for a reason, and that's because it works. At the end of the day, it gets the job done.

aysiu
February 20th, 2008, 11:41 PM
It's his/her computer, he/she can use whatever OS they choose for whatever reason they want. If they don't want to switch OS, just give it up. You can't force anyone to switch an OS. Yes, people should stop evangelizing operating systems. Live and let live.
Believe it or not, Windows is used by 90% of the market for a reason, and that's because it works. At the end of the day, it gets the job done. This I can't agree with. Have you ever worked in tech support?

ahuman
February 21st, 2008, 07:19 AM
Start by introducing her to open source Windows programs. (http://www.opensourcewindows.org)

When she feels comfortable with open source programs, her transition to an open source operating system will be a lot easier than a cold transition.
I'll remember to do that. Thanks for your advice & willingness to help me,

That's what I'm planning to do. Thanks for your kindness,

Just ask him to go to badvista.org
What kind of user is it?Hardcore gamers will have (nearly) no chance to use linux for a long time due to the lack of games.
He seems to be a windows vista-user, who has problems with blocking computer-viruses, but he likes the way windows-vistas' graphic-user interface appears.I appreciate you. Thanks for your kindness.

ameba
February 21st, 2008, 08:22 AM
Screen