PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here have any game design experience?

some_random_noob
February 20th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Game design is awesome! But to be honest I have limited experience with it.

Anyone else?

k2t0f12d
February 20th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Kia ora

I took some classes on the subject once. I was mistaken to believe that pursuing game programming and design would expose me to more then a pure computer science degree would. What about game design do you wish to discuss?

init1
February 20th, 2008, 03:24 AM

Anyone else?
I taught myself JavaScript and made a number of simple games with that. That's about it though.

DUDE_2000
February 20th, 2008, 03:26 AM
only for pen and paper, but i would love to learn

Vitamin-Carrot
February 20th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Kia ora

I took some classes on the subject once. I was mistaken to believe that pursuing game programming and design would expose me to more then a pure computer science degree would. What about game design do you wish to discuss?

Kia ora cuzzz

WalmartSniperLX
February 20th, 2008, 06:28 AM
The closest I've gotten was a little bit of python/pygame coding and some screwing around in the blender game engine. www.blender.org

some_random_noob
February 20th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Damn. I was hoping there'd be more people :( It's a shame that most programmers are boring. Game design is awesome - and more game devs=more fun with Ubuntu. More people here should learn programming (With Python & Pygame - because it's great for beginner/intermediate folks :) ).

I haven't done programming for ages, but I did some basic Pygame work recently (Mouse/keyboard input, images and alpha transparencies). Most of my project is pen & paper work though.

In the next 5 years I hope to have assembled an organized and motivated real-life team of programmers. I have a friend who started highschool this year, so I'm getting him to try and recruit anyone who has interest in computers.

penguinboy08
February 20th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Well, I'm quite heavily involved in game design/programming in my spare time. Unfortunately it's almost exclusively in windows.

I probs should learn python, but c# is just so satisfying!

What area of game design where you interested in?

some_random_noob
February 20th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Well, I'm quite heavily involved in game design/programming in my spare time. Unfortunately it's almost exclusively in windows.

I probs should learn python, but c# is just so satisfying!

What area of game design where you interested in?
Originality (Any cool idea which ends up creating something unique!)

btw that's great that you're doing C#, I wish I was that hardcore :D

Xzallion
February 20th, 2008, 11:31 AM
some_random_noob, are you wanting to discuss a specific aspect of game design, or just wanting to chat with game designers?

My "training" for Game design was one college course that I wound up quitting. I just didn't agree with the instructor and the course, I felt I was getting nothing out of it.

I have no professional experience, but I am attempting to learn enough in Game design and programming to create a few games in my free time.

anaconda
February 20th, 2008, 01:23 PM
yep. I develop games for work :)

But it is just normal programming.

(c++ and ogre)

some_random_noob
February 20th, 2008, 09:07 PM
some_random_noob, are you wanting to discuss a specific aspect of game design, or just wanting to chat with game designers?

This is mostly a chat thread :)

People here seem rather "so-so" when it comes to game design. I remember when I was a member of an indie game development forum (Which has since been closed). It was great. Everyone there was hilarious, and people would post their ideas/code/artwork like mad. Where the heck are all these people now? :confused:

penguinboy08
February 20th, 2008, 09:41 PM
If you've got some spare time, and a windows machine, (or someway to run XNA/.NET programs) then check out my last game:

http://www.boganproductions.com/key/

Not the best, but I still think it's fun.

Xzallion
February 20th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Most likely they are in the games or programming sub-forums here, or have their own wiki to post to. Also not everyone is 'open' with their ideas and artwork, and instead want to keep control of their little pet projects.

DeadSuperHero
February 20th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I've done alot of work with designs when it comes to plot, sketches, and gameplay ideas.
However, I have yet to find a perfect game-oriented IDE for Linux.

Windows has an app called AGS (Adventure Game Studio), and it's fantastic.

There's an upcoming open-source engine based on Java called Slage that seems to be aiming for similar goals, I'd recommend looking into it.

I mainly aim at doing adventure games. You get a simple feel when you're designing something, and it gives the gameplay a nice consistency. Maybe I just play a lot of them, I don't know.

Zeotronic
February 21st, 2008, 12:07 AM
Also not everyone is 'open' with their ideas and artwork, and instead want to keep control of their little pet projects.
Here here! That is exactly my situation.

Anyone else?
While I feel you cant be sure of something if you merely have limited experiance, I am a C++ programmer... currently have merely a year of experiance... 1 completed projects, no public releases, but I don't exactly have the sense to start small either!

In the next 5 years I hope to have assembled an organized and motivated real-life team of programmers.
In my experiance, you shouldn't be worried about getting the programmers... you should be worried about getting everyone else! (the audio guys, the graphics guys) I am so fortunate that my skills cover multiple feilds, but I am screwed when it comes to audio. (to that end pm me if you know of anything that would help me learn to make music and sound effects)