PDA

View Full Version : Messiest desktop award? (DIALUP BEWARE)

jdong
February 19th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Well, today's been and continues to be a hellish day in jdong land where I have 11 things (read: homework) on my TODO list, none of which are completed, all of which are due tomorrow or the next day.

So, I did manage to take a step back and try to find my Firefox... So I hit F9 and.....

Oddly, I had no problem picking out Firefox from that mess. And this system has 1GB RAM, and is running fine with no noticeable lag. And yes, that is ECLIPSE in the taskbar!

Edit: Original, large-size image can be found here (http://jdong.mit.edu/~jdong/jdong_hell.png).

meborc
February 19th, 2008, 11:30 PM
nice... it reminds me of my desktop :)

similar graphs... but about neutron cross sections of different heavy isotopes (nuclear transmutation course)

koleoptero
February 19th, 2008, 11:56 PM
If I ever find myself in such a mess I'll probably paint my laptop blue and throw it in the sea. :lolflag: I'm obsessed with having everything properly sorted. That's why I use multiple workspaces, each for its own work.

k2t0f12d
February 20th, 2008, 12:15 AM
I typically have between 6 and 9 taskbar items running while working during the day. The essentials are a bash konsole, konqueror filesystem view, EMACS, and one instance of a browser, usually kazehakase or iceweasel. All panels autohide, so when not in use and minimized, the only things visible is a desktop monitor applet and the wallpaper. ALT + TAB'ing through open apps is all the navigation I need (and C-x b'ing through open buffers in EMACS). I don't allow desktop icons, which are an anachronism to the modern desktop, and never store files in the Desktop folder. Anything that ends up there quickly find a home elsewhere or is deleted.

jdong
February 20th, 2008, 12:17 AM
nice... it reminds me of my desktop :)

similar graphs... but about neutron cross sections of different heavy isotopes (nuclear transmutation course)

Fortunately, this is just an intro EECS class and we are doing basic modulation, demodulation, and filtering of signals. I need to get better organization skills! :D

Vitamin-Carrot
February 20th, 2008, 12:22 AM
If i ever had a desktop like that ide cry ifront of my computer for 2 weeks straight before i die of dehydration and hunger.

~LoKe
February 20th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Dude, install screen and be done with it.

aimran
February 20th, 2008, 12:25 AM
but about neutron cross sections of different heavy isotopes (nuclear transmutation course)

:confused:

jdong
February 20th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Dude, install screen and be done with it.

Most of the terminals you see are indeed screen sessions (rather, simultaneous screen -x reattachments of the same central screen sessions), the other terminals are for doing more temporary work. having it all in screen just makes it harder to find the right terminal -- I find at times graphically identifying my terminals by the displayed output is very effective.

HermanAB
February 20th, 2008, 02:39 AM
No comment...

jdong
February 20th, 2008, 02:43 AM
No comment...

I actually had a case of a REAL stack of errors like that, when the exception displaying code had an exception, which I later discovered due to a lack of sleep I coded to attempt to spawn an exception displayer to show it.

meborc
February 21st, 2008, 01:45 PM
:confused:

i'll have a masters degree in nuclear energy engineering next year ;)

beniwtv
February 21st, 2008, 02:09 PM
That is exactly what amazes me of Linux.

I normally have plenty of background programs running, each own doing it's work, for example compiling some random stuff, updating the system, Rhythmbox playing music, etc... I then use maybe Eclipse for working, or firefox and the system still runs nicely.

Almost every time I have to work with Windows at work (thankfully we do our main work on Macs), it gets sluggish by just doing two things at the same time.

Makes me want to throw that Laptop out the "Window" everytime... grrr...
:lolflag:

aimran
February 21st, 2008, 02:55 PM
i'll have a masters degree in nuclear energy engineering next year ;)

I pity your brain :(

Oh well I'm not that different... Mechanical Engineering :(

markp1989
February 21st, 2008, 03:04 PM
No comment...

LMAO!

Trail
February 21st, 2008, 06:18 PM
About that picture: rofl@ "You are pregnant - ABORT retry ignore"

awesome lol

richard.stallman
February 21st, 2008, 07:04 PM
Well, today's been and continues to be a hellish day in jdong land where I have 11 things (read: homework) on my TODO list, none of which are completed, all of which are due tomorrow or the next day.

So, I did manage to take a step back and try to find my Firefox... So I hit F9 and.....

Oddly, I had no problem picking out Firefox from that mess. And this system has 1GB RAM, and is running fine with no noticeable lag. And yes, that is ECLIPSE in the taskbar!

Edit: Original, large-size image can be found here (http://jdong.mit.edu/~jdong/jdong_hell.png).

how did u make ur desktop, appear like this????

Sikon
February 23rd, 2008, 12:16 PM
No comment...

Hey, that's a picture I made! :)

Cloudy
February 23rd, 2008, 02:38 PM
Man, I'd go crazy if mine looked like that. I'm another one of those types that has to have everything organized - even having more than four tabs open in IceWeasel/Firefox/etc. starts to bother me after a while, and I never have more than three windows open at once.

linuxmann
February 23rd, 2008, 04:24 PM
Ding Ding! I think we have a winner!

BTW: this is not vista. just a theme.

dbbolton
February 23rd, 2008, 04:41 PM

How did you put the deskbar in its own window?

jdong
February 23rd, 2008, 06:09 PM
How did you put the deskbar in its own window?

Grumble, since Gutsy, it's a "feature" of the deskbar that it's no longer a deskBAR but a NOTdeskWINDOW.

MONODA
February 23rd, 2008, 06:18 PM
you can find firefox or any other windows faster if while in scale view you type in the name of the window(typing firefox or openoffice wont work, you will have to type the name of what is open (I think))

jdong
February 23rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
you can find firefox or any other windows faster if while in scale view you type in the name of the window(typing firefox or openoffice wont work, you will have to type the name of what is open (I think))

It will match partial window names, too. However, sometimes that view is a bit frightening with windows disappearing every keystroke and can be just as bewildering to navigate as just looking at and grabbing the window you want.