PDA

View Full Version : Getting family off Windows and on Ubuntu - Rant from 'Family IT guy"

tegwilym
February 19th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I'm sure many of you here are probably the "Family IT guy"? You know....the guy that mom, sister, girlfriend...friend of a friend always calls when "Windows won't boot, print or do anything". Arrgh!

I was starting to really get burned out on computers since I was using Windows. I then tried Linux and after a year of running it about 99% of the time, I'm hooked.
Now, I'm trying to get mom and dad, sister, girlfriend, and others to at least give Linux a try. I gave everyone Ubuntu 7.10 disks for Christmas along with some "For Dummies" books on how easy it is to use, but just need to crack the whip now and get them going.

Sure, there is some initial confusion when starting with Linux, but if you are a GUI user it's no harder than anything else. I'll stick my fingers deep in the command line, .conf files and make Linux harder, but the GUI is easy! My girlfriend is constantly cussing at her computer and says "I need a new computer, this thing sucks!" No! You have great hardware, its XP that blows chunks. I can't convince her very easily. Her 18 year old daughter lives on the internet - Myspace, Facebook..and all those other wastes of brain cells and bandwidth, and all her friends are chatting on IM constantly. They both just need a chat client, maybe some music, email and a browser. Nothing more!
My sister maintains a movie review site, there are plenty of HTML editors out there, Dad uses Excel a lot, but I found that Office can run with Crossover. Mom uses email and a browser.

Just wondering what some of you have done that might have worked to kick the family butts into something reliable? :)

Tom
"Just another family computer guy"

tegwilym
February 19th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Oh one other thing...I recently built a MythTV box using Mythdora. I'll give the 8.04 Mythbuntu a try soon.
That thing is the BEST! I'll never be bothered by a commercial again!

bodhi.zazen
February 19th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Well, you really can't force it on them. IMO you have done more then enough and if they would like you should offer assistance.

Pressuring them into changing, however, is unlikely to do anything more then build resentment.

I am often asked to assist with Windows problems. I offer fee for service on Windows support, so now I am asked less. I too am tired of constantly cleaning after Windows viruses.

I install and support Linux (Ubuntu) for free, so requests for service are increasing in that realm.

seventhc
February 19th, 2008, 09:23 PM
No viruses or spyware, much more stable and secure. Those are usually the things I point out to anyone considering it.
Not to mention about 17,000 different titles of software that are basically free, plus everything is highly customizable and configurable.
Those are a few good reasons to make the switch. :)

fujikofujio
February 19th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I tried that, first thing I got hit with was why can't yahoo messenger work, then I showed them pidgin, and then why isn't my web cam working or comments like its slow and looks amateurish compared to windows.

Also showed them how easy it was to connect printers to ubuntu, LOOK ma no driver cd needed! But when she tried to print a 4x6 photo from picasa it took 15 minutes for the printer to start doing anything and it wasn't even like that in windows.

I always try to make a minimal install of windows, conserve memory for applications and have diskeeper defragmenting on the background. They also use firefox on windows, but still they are tied to their IM client, can't convince them to move away.

macogw
February 19th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I didn't install on the family computer until my sister said she wanted to use Linux when she goes to college and my brother agreed. My mom just goes along with whatever I do to the computer.

FuturePilot
February 19th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Forcing anyone into Linux is not a good idea. I actually just let Ubuntu sell itself. I set up a dual boot on the main computer and slowly everyone started using Ubuntu more and more and Windows less and less. I didn't have to do anything, :D it sold itself. Everyone noticed the lack of crashing, freezing, stupid errors etc etc.
Then when my mom got a new laptop she wanted me to install Ubuntu on it because she dreaded having to use Windows Vista.
Ubuntu caught on like wild fire.

sloggerkhan
February 19th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I'd announce that as family IT guy you no longer support windows OSes, but if they have problems you're always willing to help them upgrade to something better or set up a dual boot just to try it out.

Every time they ask for help, just give them that line and see what happens.

I'm sure many of you here are probably the "Family IT guy"? You know....the guy that mom, sister, girlfriend...friend of a friend always calls when "Windows won't boot, print or do anything". Arrgh!

I was starting to really get burned out on computers since I was using Windows. I then tried Linux and after a year of running it about 99% of the time, I'm hooked.
Now, I'm trying to get mom and dad, sister, girlfriend, and others to at least give Linux a try. I gave everyone Ubuntu 7.10 disks for Christmas along with some "For Dummies" books on how easy it is to use, but just need to crack the whip now and get them going.

Sure, there is some initial confusion when starting with Linux, but if you are a GUI user it's no harder than anything else. I'll stick my fingers deep in the command line, .conf files and make Linux harder, but the GUI is easy! My girlfriend is constantly cussing at her computer and says "I need a new computer, this thing sucks!" No! You have great hardware, its XP that blows chunks. I can't convince her very easily. Her 18 year old daughter lives on the internet - Myspace, Facebook..and all those other wastes of brain cells and bandwidth, and all her friends are chatting on IM constantly. They both just need a chat client, maybe some music, email and a browser. Nothing more!
My sister maintains a movie review site, there are plenty of HTML editors out there, Dad uses Excel a lot, but I found that Office can run with Crossover. Mom uses email and a browser.

Just wondering what some of you have done that might have worked to kick the family butts into something reliable? :)

Tom
"Just another family computer guy"

Superkoop
February 19th, 2008, 09:42 PM
It was easy for me since everyone in my family (aside from me) just uses the computer for the Internet.
And when I showed them the difference in boot speed from Windows to Ubuntu, they were kinda "woad". And then they asked my if it was safer, so I showed them how many viruses there are for Windows, and then I showed them how many viruses there are for Linux.
They then asked me what I was waiting for to get them set up.

So I guess I had it pretty easy.

k2t0f12d
February 19th, 2008, 09:55 PM

My mom is the quite easily the most computer illiterate person in the world, aside from those who have never seen or touched one before. Yet, even she is more credulous to using the GNU/Linux I've installed then my father, who has used computers for decades. It was because of him that I was exposed to the i8088 as a pre-teen. He himself however, has wedged himself so deeply into Microsoftware that you could not pull him out with a tractor. He has wasted large sums of money on hardware, not knowing that he was being sold was expensive junk (thanks Dell). I used to have a Linux compatible printer, that he jacked into his office setup and bricked in less then three months. Fortunately, fate has a sense of humor, and it bricked his Dell 964 AIO as well. That printer (the Dell) is really a Lexmark x7170, which of course, does not provide any support for GNU/Linux. Through the pulling of teeth, and my mom's intervention, we managed to get him to replace the Dell POS with a HP PhotoSmart C7280. I think it pissed him off that I was able to connect to it over the network and have full-functionality instantaneously through the hplip/hpijs free software drivers w/o using the installation disc, rebooting, or any of the many annoyances of Windows.

My father used to setup robust custom made home office workstations in the MS-DOS days. Last week I asked him why he had his laptop connecting to the network through his aircard when it was already connected via the LAN. He said he thought Windows would work better with the printer with wifi since the HP has builtin wifi.

Windows, making smart people dumber for over twenty-years. Get f^&*ed, Microsoft.

tegwilym
February 19th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I shouldn't force, them but just dual boot to give them some gentle prodding. Ok then, everyone is getting a second hard drive for their birthday - do dual boot Ubuntu! Uh...well, I'll have to do something different with Mom's laptop, but she just uses email and the web mostly.
Once they are somewhat used to it, can put put XP into a virtual machine so they can run that inside if needed. I had to do that on my computer since Netflix only seems to support IE for their streaming movies. Ugh...they need to learn!

I think if I can get my girlfriend on it, everyone else will be easy.
;)
Tom

raymac46
February 20th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Some things I've found that help ease the transisiton:
(1) Know your customer - are they using some Windows stuff that has no decent replacement in Linux? If so,it's a waste of time trying to change them. I still use Windows to do my income taxes, because my favorite app runs there.
(2) Start using the FOSS applications in Windows - Firefox, Thunderbird, Open Office, Abiword, Gnumeric. When they are used to those apps it's easy to switch over to Ubuntu. I put my wife's bookmarks on the Ubuntu version of Firefox and she never looked back.
(3) If you get a new system, make it Linux only. It'll fly compared to the tired XP installation on the older PC you keep around for die-hards. Soon they'll be lined up to use Ubuntu.

HermanAB
February 20th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Just stop fixing the Windows machines. Instead give each one of them an Asus Eee PC for their birthday/Christmas/whatever.

Moop
February 20th, 2008, 03:01 AM
It's hard to convince people to change. I have four grown kids and a ex-wife and I'm still fixing their windows pc's. I've been using linux for years but they think I'm strange.

About a year ago I built a pc for my 5 year old granddaughter and I installed Feisty. She has little kid wallpaper, a ton of educational games for kids, plays her music and has her favorite websites bookmarked in Firefox. She even has a pink barbie keyboard! She loves it. You got to start them young! :lolflag:

Keep a supply of live cd's around. I recently moved and had the cox cable guy over here. He sat down at my PC and when he couldn't find the start button he asked "What is this?" He had never heard of Ubuntu but thought it was cool and said he would have to check it out. I gave him a Gutsy live cd. :guitar:

smbm
February 20th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Next time they want Windows tech support make them fill in and submit to you a needlessly complicated web form, or even a paper form.

They'll soon tire of it.

wolfen69
February 20th, 2008, 03:39 AM
No viruses or spyware, much more stable and secure. Those are usually the things I point out to anyone considering it.
Not to mention about 17,000 different titles of software that are basically free, plus everything is highly customizable and configurable.
Those are a few good reasons to make the switch. :)

exactly what i tell people, ive actually had a couple windows customers (i fix win pc's for a living) tell me to install linux immediately! if you know how to talk the talk, you will win some, and lose some, but at least now they know they have a choice.

Hint: tell them that underneath, it is similar to mac, and free!

AndyCooll
February 20th, 2008, 03:54 AM
My missus is also one of those that has basic pc needs, i.e.Internet, music, and basic office work.

I moved her over to Linux gradually.

Initially I got her using a number of cross-platform apps (e.g. Firefox, Open Office etc) on Windows..

Then I set up her Linux desktop so that it looked just like her Windows desktop, I also introduced her to Amarok for her music files, F-Spot for her photos and so forth. II changed the pc to dual-boot but defaulting to Linux.

Next I gradually decreased the dual-boot option window, i.e. from 10sec to 5sec to 3sec.

It wasn't long before she wasn't even bothering logging in to Windows. Finally, I removed Windows (and that was nearly three years ago). Nowadays she logs on to her laptop which runs Ubuntu without a second thought. I just maintain it (updates etc). No problem.

:cool:

Irihapeti
February 20th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Quit being the windows maintainer. If they really want their windows cleaned up, they can pay a tech for the privilege. That might get their attention.

JeffoOfMetal
February 20th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Very good story; inspiring.

Just asking, why didn't your dad just run Open Office or Gnumeric? Doesn't Excel run slower in WINE?

tuque
February 20th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Our family are what you might call heavy computer users. I have been dabbling with Linux ever since it was released. Those early days for Linux were tough and many times I just had to throw in the towel, getting hardware to work could be very difficult.
These days the only thing I can't do in Linux is my tax return. I just bought a HP network color laser and the ease of installation just blew me away. Way easier than Windows.
My wife favours XP because it's what she is used to and I suspect it's a little fear of the unknown. I just discussed this with her and she is now willing to give Ubuntu a try.
Now if only I could find a nice Linux based equal to my favourite DOS program Skyglobe and maybe something to control a telescope remotely.

JT9161
February 20th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Seems I'm not the only one who is stuck with IT duty for everyone. I've got both my parents using Firefox did a full Ubuntu install on my sisters comp. but she hasn't been around to use it since I did

Whiffle
February 20th, 2008, 05:47 AM
I got firefox for them, its the first step. My laptops been getting alot of use at the last couple family gatherings, and they seem comfortable w/ it.

The biggest push though, for my dad, is Vista. It came on his laptop, and it "works," but he see its downsides from time to time. He's very much interested in picking up linux but lacks the time. Maybe next time I'm home we'll get him setup.

Zlatan
February 20th, 2008, 08:04 AM
my wife DEMANDED to install linux instead of pre-installed winxp on her laptop :D that was it...

zmjjmz
February 20th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I'm not really the family IT 'man', but I am the family IT 'kid'.
Anyways, whenever a problem occurs, I'm called over. My Mom is my Linux target (being the kid kinda limits my influence on the OS choice...) for now, mainly because Lenovo is now offering SLED 10 SP1 (yeah, not OSS or anything, but at least it's Linux) on the ThinkPad (the only thing she'll ever buy).
Currently she's kinda worried about WebX working with her new business (it focuses on remote teaching), but she's already hooked on Opera and I've proved to her that Linux is better than Windows when her Wireless card, which Windows turns off whenever she reboots, worked out of the LiveCD with IceBuntu.
She's come to the agreement with me that her OS sucks...
I tried getting my brother on it, but I was a distro-hopping noob and I installed Arch...
Bad idea...
I went ahead and installed gOS, but at the time it wasn't really ready for normal use (it is now though :D)
After that, he said that he wasn't going to even bother, and I reinstalled OSX.4 for him.
My Dad is so rolled up in business right now, I don't think it'd be a good idea.
My 5 year old sister should be easy because she hasn't really used a computer yet.

penguinboy08
February 20th, 2008, 10:14 AM
lol, I mentioned GNU/Linux this morning to my mum.

She laughed and called me a tech-hippie.:(

Dragonbite
February 20th, 2008, 02:22 PM
What you can do to help the transition is first try and get them to move over to cross-platform applications for their needs:

Gaim (for chatting),
Firefox and/or Opera (for browsing),
Thunderbird (for email),
Gimp (for image manipulation),
Inkscape (for SVG Graphics),
Dia (for diagramming),
Picasa (for image management),
OpenOffice (for office apps),
Nvu (for Frontpage-like website design),
VLC (for video playing),
etc.

Isn't KDE coming out with a Windows version (or is it just K-apps?)? That could help, even if it is just the K-apps (Amarok, KOffice, Kopete, Kaffine, etc.)

Of course it's easier said than done. My wife has a couple points that keep her on Windows;

familiarity (she's a veery visual person, needs to look like she expects it to since she's not even sure that it's 2 different ways to get to the same file)
Microsoft Publisher (Scribus is over-the-top and most word processors do an OK job but are still word processors and there is a difference between Word and Publisher)
Photoshop (though I've moved her off of Photoshop some, to Paint.NET. In the meantime I am fooling around with Krita to see about moving her from Paint.NET to Krita. It took her long enough to get used to Photoshop, so the Gimp is going to have to take some time)

billgoldberg
February 20th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I removed vista from the main computer without telling anyone and installed ubuntu 7.10. There was some complaining but they have been using it for 6 months without any problems.

regomodo
February 20th, 2008, 02:41 PM
but still they are tied to their IM client, can't convince them to move away.

I had to remove Ubuntu and put XP back on as they wanted msn messenger and its associated crap and annoying smileys

Jimmey
February 20th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Now if only I could find a nice Linux based equal to my favourite DOS program Skyglobe and maybe something to control a telescope remotely.

You can run DOS based programs in Linux using dosbox

sudo apt-get install dosbox

Riffer
February 20th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Stellarium? Great Planetarium program.

divindavid
February 20th, 2008, 05:48 PM
i am 13 years old and i have people in my naorbor hood calling me to fix their computers and making los of cash. so i reccomended ubuntu to some of my "custermers" then they stoped calling they dont need me any more thats the down side of linux i dont make any more money. but i am running ubuntu on my laptop and my 15 year old sister uses it some times when she saw i was using linux she just turned the computer on and knew what to do. my dad likes linux too he like not having to pay for it and its free and better than windows i had to show him how to use wine for his work stuff(linux is not yet supported)
i am also building a new computer for my family and every one wants ubuntu on it but i will dualboot on it.

tegwilym
March 13th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Sent this article to the family.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/whats-this-linux-thing-and-why-should-i-try-it/
My girlfriend responded with "I like XP", but just last night her computer was trying to choke itself on a bunch of TSRs that were running on startup. I found Norton on there as well as AVG fighting it out among other things.
Scroll down to the "It's Easy" heading in the article.

I just can't convince her to try it....as she cusses and complains about here computer and I'm sitting there next to here with my 7.10 box running quick and happy with Compiz, streaming video from my MythTV box and all the other goodies!

She won't even touch the TV even though I recently built a MythTV box and reduced from 3 remotes down to a single wireless keyboard.
*sigh*

Tom
- still trying to convince them....

Chame_Wizard
March 14th, 2008, 12:59 AM
I tried,but don't need to force the rest of the familly(only my uncle,in Italy maybe)>I am the only one who use Kubuntu Linux

tegwilym
March 14th, 2008, 02:01 AM
I tried,but don't need to force the rest of the familly(only my uncle,in Italy maybe)>I am the only one who use Kubuntu Linux

So your family, other than Italy - is totally converted over from the dark side?
Good job!

:)

qazwsx
March 14th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I had to remove Ubuntu and put XP back on as they wanted msn messenger and its associated crap and annoying smileys
Oh in my family they also wanted back that msn messenger. But they also wanted to use amarok as well. :-k

Solution:
I installed amsn which seems to be good enough. Everyone uses Kubuntu now in my family.

Iehova
March 14th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Oh in my family they also wanted back that msn messenger. But they also wanted to use amarok as well. :-k

Solution:
I installed amsn which seems to be good enough. Everyone uses Kubuntu now in my family.

You should get them to try emesene, it pretty much blows MSN out of the water, except for a lack of webcam support...

gn2
March 14th, 2008, 03:03 AM
My parents are retired, their PC recently started making some dreadful noises which turned out to be the (Maxtor) hard drive in it's death throes.
The PC is seven years old, so not too bad.
It also had a nasty infection of DriveCleaner and god knows what else, they don't ever keep on top of the maintenance, so cloning the old drive was out...
Anyway, I said I could easily replace the hard drive for them and fortunately the old drive held together long enough to get all their files off it.

Thing is, I'm too busy and don't have the time to spare to install Xp, update it, install drivers, install AVG, install Zone Alarm, install printer/scanner drivers, install camera software, what with all the re-boots it could easily run to a full day's labour.
So tomorrow they get the PC back with Ubuntu installed......

Will be interesting to see how they get on with it.

criskat777
March 14th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Well, you really can't force it on them. IMO you have done more then enough and if they would like you should offer assistance.

Pressuring them into changing, however, is unlikely to do anything more then build resentment.

I am often asked to assist with Windows problems. I offer fee for service on Windows support, so now I am asked less. I too am tired of constantly cleaning after Windows viruses.

I install and support Linux (Ubuntu) for free, so requests for service are increasing in that realm.

yes you can force it . i formated all PC's and Laptops of the Home installed Ubi on all Desk and Mint on Laps and only left one with a dual boot.and now everybody uses Ubi full time. weeks pass and no one boots WinBlows:guitar:

cometa2k7
March 20th, 2008, 10:25 PM
If they buy a new computer without asking you, and they get one with XP or Vista on it. Load Ubuntu on their old computer, and get them to use both for about a month.

After about a month, the new computer will have slowed down, may take longer due to lack of use, then they might prefer the older computer with the Linux installation, over their new one with Windows.

tegwilym
March 20th, 2008, 10:35 PM
If they buy a new computer without asking you, and they get one with XP or Vista on it. Load Ubuntu on their old computer, and get them to use both for about a month.

Great plan! They always ask me first about a computer since I'll build them one. Their computers are all working (as well as they can with constipated XP on them).
My girlfriend is always getting angry at hers and says "I need a new computer!" I keep telling her it's NOT the hardware, but the OS....and gently hint at Ubuntu. "No, I like XP!" is her usual answer...as she sits for 10 minutes downloading photos from her camera card. I then grab the card and have all the photos on my machine in under 2 minutes. Hehe!

She won't even touch the Mythtv and it's SO easy to use!!

Tom -
A Linux convert surrounded by foolishness. :confused:

billgoldberg
March 20th, 2008, 11:41 PM

Solution:

My family also wanted to use windows live messenger.

So I installed amsn, now my 2 brothers use pidgin, only my mother keeps insisting on using (the very ugly) amsn.

I run the computer park (2 pc's :p) in this house (the other don't know the first thing about computers) and everybody likes using ubuntu now.

The fist month there were some complaints, but not anymore. (6 months later)

I recently installed a bare win xp version for gaming only (I don't even allow it to connect to the internet) and I thought they would want to use xp. They don't. They prefer ubuntu.

Yudraciell
March 20th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Great plan! They always ask me first about a computer since I'll build them one. Their computers are all working (as well as they can with constipated XP on them).
My girlfriend is always getting angry at hers and says "I need a new computer!" I keep telling her it's NOT the hardware, but the OS....and gently hint at Ubuntu. "No, I like XP!" is her usual answer...as she sits for 10 minutes downloading photos from her camera card. I then grab the card and have all the photos on my machine in under 2 minutes. Hehe!

Tom -

i have that problem too, my favorite line is, "but its not compatable with most things" when they say that a bust out laughing and i cant help but laugh. its bad when i have half the specs on my laptop and shes got a kick *** computer from new egg....AND MINE BOOTS UP IN 15 seconds...her...3 minutes to 6 minutes

EmilyRose
March 21st, 2008, 01:08 AM
I succesfully taught my husband and dad how to use Ubuntu last year - we've all ben MS free for over a year now, and its wonderful. Most of the rest of my familiy isn't/wasn't ready to take up linux, so now they run Mac instead - which while not as cool as linux, is at least not vista;)

Lord Illidan
March 21st, 2008, 01:20 AM
I am in the same situation. However, I managed to get everybody on Ubuntu now. Some kinks here and there, like printing over the network, but now everybody manages quite well.

cardinals_fan
March 21st, 2008, 02:07 AM
My dad relies on statistics software that only runs on Windows, but wants to switch to Linux. My mom is COMPLETELY unaware of how the computer works, and her only comment is that "Your new Linux is really fast!".

LeoSolaris
March 21st, 2008, 02:12 AM
It took a little while, but I am spreading the Linux lovin. I managed to get my fiancée to ask me to install Ubuntu after getting fed up one day at XP's slowdown effect. I know that she will always keep a tiny partition of XP for shockwave.com installs that I have not yet figured out how to get working in wine.

Once shockwave's games work in wine, I'll probably get to delete the XP partition.

Her best friend, Laure, took home a copy of Mint, but I don't think she has actually tried it yet.

My parents just bought MS Office 07, so they have a bit invested. I may install it as a duel boot just to show mom, since she is just a net/email user who hasn't even changed the default XP background.

It will take me about ten minutes to convince my little brother, but he currently doesn't have a working computer, so it's a bit moot.

Leo

drascus
March 21st, 2008, 02:35 AM
I just stoped servicing my moms windows computer and waited until it didn't work any longer. It will happen eventually if you just have patience it is windows after all. Then when she asked me to fix it I said "I don't work on windows computers but I will install Gnu/linux if you want." She said OK because she didn't want to have to take it to best buy every time there is a problem. I refuse to service windows computers because it is ultimately helping out a system which seeks to subjugate its users and I will have no part in it.

Yudraciell
April 23rd, 2008, 03:28 AM
Just stop fixing the Windows machines. Instead give each one of them an Asus Eee PC for their birthday/Christmas/whatever.

i got one of them love that thing its the best

but anywho...my gal and her mom keeps asking me to fix their *chokes* windows ME. cause its constantly going down for "daily repairs" i told them get Linux or have billy (my gf's x) to keep fixing your computers...my gal switched immediately...her mom just BIT**ED at me and is without a computer until she wants to pay her someone....stupid stubberness

swoll1980
April 23rd, 2008, 04:15 AM
I got some friends started with VMs' If they like it I can set up a dual boot for them

kamaboko
April 23rd, 2008, 04:40 AM
Forcing an OS upon someone already familiar with another OS is like shoving religion down their throat. I won't venture to move anyone to Linux unless they ask. The same is for Apple or even MS. If they're content with A, let them have A.

madjr
April 23rd, 2008, 04:59 AM
i got gOS space installed they love it.

http://dev.thinkgos.com/_images/47.gif

http://www.thinkgos.com/

or u can get the look with AWN and a cool walpaper.

hardy wallpaper and awn looks great too (for me).

for a myspace user i would go with a space wallpaper (not the mac 1..).

make it pretty and they will come, thats rule No.1

for the human brain:
pretty = cool and simple
ugly = old and hard

i even got a person who hated the command line to use just by giving it a few 3D effects and transperancies.... go figure :)

LCollins
April 25th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I am the son in our family and my Dad has worked in IT for all his life (20+ years). I put Ubuntu on my computer just to check it out and was very impressed and I suggested to Dad he check it out. He was initially very hesitant as he went through the days where linux was unstable and unfriendly. So things stayed as they were until my sister was having problems connecting her camera to the computer to download photos - out of curiosity they tried it out on my computer and it worked like a charm. This was enough for my Dad give Ubuntu a more thorough investigation and he hasn't turned back. Everyone in our household has Ubuntu primarily - Windows exists only on a secondary partition on a dual-boot computer. My Dad has since got really stuck into linux and attends the local linux users group.

LuigiAntoniol
April 25th, 2009, 09:10 AM
When I first introduced my wife to Linux, she freaked out like a lunatic on acid, so a permanent installation was on hold for a while, but I still fiddled with various distros.

After M$ WinXP crashed last year, we installed Ubuntu 8.04, and then later 8.10 on PC.

Never looked back.

Wife uses Linpus on her netbook until I can figure out how to get the netbook version of Ubuntu 9.04 onto it.

--------------------
Installed 9.04 on dual boot with 8.10. Converted 9.04 ext3 to ext4 and messed up the grub by not allowing the process to finish. Didn't boot properly and threw up a lot of system errors. Wiped the hard drive and reinstalled 9.04 using the whole hard drive. What an improvement over 8.10!

billgoldberg
April 25th, 2009, 09:14 AM
When I first introduced my wife to Linux, she freaked out like a lunatic on acid, so a permanent installation was on hold for a while, but I still fiddled with various distros.

After M$ WinXP crashed last year, we installed Ubuntu 8.04, and then later 8.10 on PC.

Never looked back.

Wife uses Linpus on her netbook until I can figure out how to get the netbook version of Ubuntu 9.04 onto it.

It's pretty easy to do using a flash drive or an external hdd.

Use unetbootin (google it) to write the iso file to the drive, then simple boot from that to install.

speedwell68
April 25th, 2009, 09:21 AM

Easy, follow these instructions...

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UNR#Installation

I am assuming that you have an Acer One. Jaunty UNR works a treat on my wife' Acer One A150. The only real issue we have had with it is that the WiFi light doesn't work. I'm sure that there is a really easy fix for this, I just haven't bothered to find one.

speedwell68
April 25th, 2009, 09:23 AM
It's pretty easy to do using a flash drive or an external hdd.

Use unetbootin (google it) to write the iso file to the drive, then simple boot from that to install.

UNR doesn't use an ISO file it uses an IMG file. It's no biggie just use Imagewriter instead of Unetbootin.

lisati
April 25th, 2009, 09:25 AM
The last time I did any stuff for a rellie's laptop was a year or so back when they wanted me to set up wireless for them (which I couldn't do since they didn't have a suitable router and we didn't have permission or the WPA passphrase for the neighbour's connection) - ended up updating the copy of AVG on their machine, cleaning out some crap that was slowing down the boot process (and otherwise cluttering things up), installing e-sword for them, and partially defragging (ran out of time, they had to pick up the children from school)

My missus checked out a free computer course once, it didn't sit well with me because it was XP (no major problems in and of itsself, since we have XP on one of our machines) but it was set up differently to our machine.

FLMKane
April 25th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Sent this article to the family.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/whats-this-linux-thing-and-why-should-i-try-it/
My girlfriend responded with "I like XP", but just last night her computer was trying to choke itself on a bunch of TSRs that were running on startup. I found Norton on there as well as AVG fighting it out among other things.
Scroll down to the "It's Easy" heading in the article.

I just can't convince her to try it....as she cusses and complains about here computer and I'm sitting there next to here with my 7.10 box running quick and happy with Compiz, streaming video from my MythTV box and all the other goodies!

She won't even touch the TV even though I recently built a MythTV box and reduced from 3 remotes down to a single wireless keyboard.
*sigh*

Tom
- still trying to convince them....

Dud, there is more hope than before. Thats what happened to me. I actually bought the new computer.

Pasdar
April 25th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I have a PC in my room with a 19 inch windscreen expensive black TFT monitor. The desktop looks really amazing, but is practical: meaning when you're looking for something you know where to click even if you're using it for the first time. Some Linu users have a desktop that looks very nice, but there is really nothing to click on... they might have a menu but its very counter-intuitive, and they use all self-set shortcut buttons... this is not what you want to go for.

Anyone who uses this PC wants Linux for themselves, as simple as that. A hardcore mac fan-girl saw my PC/desktop and even she went 'wow!". She said, "I thought Linux was very difficult and it was this black screen where you have to type things".

If you want people to use Ubuntu, don't tell them to just use this or that. Chang your desktop/overall-design to something very nice, make it practical, have all the programs installed on it that they use on windows and if they ever use it and ask you for something, give the GUI answer (i.e.: Click Programs > etc > etc).

Use the right program alternatives, don't use pidgin because it's pre-installed. aMSN supports webcams and what not and can be themed to look very good (the theme it comes with looks ugly), and if they use Yahoo, give them Gyach enhanced. Pidgin is not a good alternative to anything unless you only care about the text coming and going to people and don't care about a nice looking design either.

For email client you can install Mozilla Thunderbird. If there is not a good alternative install the application itself for them using wine. I have Office 2007 & Photoshop installed through wine, no problem there.

If you give them Ubuntu, prepare the PC for them, don't just give them a fresh install and say here you go. The standard desktop and design of Ubuntu might look nice for someone coming from XP or earlier, but it sucks for someone coming from VISTA aero. Install the latest AWN and use their standard theme, its awesome. Put some of the applications they use in it. Set all drives to automount, etc.

LuigiAntoniol
April 25th, 2009, 09:53 AM
@
billgoldberg
speedwell68

Wow, thanks, guys.

Will get started right away. No issues with it being an Acer Aspire One?

FLMKane
April 25th, 2009, 09:57 AM

Tom -

Wait a minute. I know whats happening. I know a term for it but there is no english translation. Basically she's afraid to 'unlearn' years of experience, COMBINED with the fact that certain people tend to do the exact opposite of the logical thing, simply because that is emotionally frustrating to do so. Try NOT to suggest Ubuntu every time she complains. Ask her why she prefers XP, and let her do most of the taking, then try and make her come to the conclusion that Ubuntu is better by herself.

Most importantly, show her some sympathy. It helped me

edit : damn I should have checked the dates. Most of these posts are a year old.

speedwell68
April 25th, 2009, 10:07 AM
@
billgoldberg
speedwell68

Wow, thanks, guys.

Will get started right away. No issues with it being an Acer Aspire One?

No Worries.:D

Other than the the Wifi light, we had no issues whatsoever. Like I said I am sure there is an easy fix for that, but it is such a minor fault I really can't be bothered.

Laibcoms
April 25th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I installed dual-boot OS - WinXP32 and Ubuntu64.

I don't force them. I just tell them stories about it, and give an unbias comparison. For example, I admit that there are advantages to using WinXP than Ubuntu64.

The best way for people not to listen to you is for you to say 90% of the time that your option is better. They won't accept that because the world the grew up into says otherwise.

So do it differently, show the advantages and disadvantages. And stay-off the "proprietary vs. FLOSS" topic, they won't understand that and they wouldn't care.

Now if money is a factor that can not be ignored, then it should be easy. For example, Photoshop vs. GIMP. Or say, "upgrade to Vista or Windows 7" or upgrade to Ubuntu LTS. (WinXP support is finally "finally" over, no more extensions.)

Don't force. Observe them, see where they are standing from. Put yourself in their shoes. What are they holding on to? What is so dear to them that they can not let go? Is it eye-candy? Is it functionality? If they need WebCam, then Pidgin is not the solution (and I do not know which app is the solution :p ).

If they're just browsing, chatting, maintaining a site/blog, that will be easier than convincing someone doing things like Graphic Editing, Video Editing, Sound Editing, sending Office Documents to and fro (you should never expect your recipient to install some ODF add-on for their MS-Office).

I log-in once-in-a-while to WinXP just to update it and what not. Forcing someone to switch or adopt something will only shoo them away forever.

^_^

Hope that helps.

billgoldberg
April 25th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I installed dual-boot OS - WinXP32 and Ubuntu64.

I don't force them.

I forced my family on Ubuntu.

My mother and brother both don't know jack sh*t about computers and I was tired of fixing up their computers every week.

Both were a little upset at first, now they love it.

wirepuller134
April 25th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Work wise, we offered to pay our employees time and for the training if they agreed. This was when we changed our entire infrastructure to Linux. Well except for the field laptops that still dual boot Windows XP or Windows 2000 and Linux. Some of the work we do requires using Windows for insurance reasons.

tegwilym
April 25th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Dud, there is more hope than before. Thats what happened to me. I actually bought the new computer.

Wow, I started this thread a while back and it's up to 7 pages now!
I've still got 8.10 on my main computer but will upgrade to 9.04 soon, I have 9.04 (full version not the netbook thing) on my Eeepc, and it works great, I have another 8.10 computer in the basement (my romote access machine that I reach from work), it will be update, and I run MythDora 5 on my tv.

Girlfriend still "likes" XP. Rest of family still on XP also. I've been in this computer business for 20 years, but do they ever belive me when I say something is BETTER? No.

Still working on it, and enjoying the ease of using Linux for myself! :-)

Tom

Dragonbite
April 27th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I just updated the desktop to Jaunty (from Edubuntu Gutsy) and I had to bite my tongue when my son was complaining because it looked different! I mean, he really complained!

Then he found out the updated version of SuperTuxKart has mroe cars to choose from and more tracks.

Now he's happy.

ugriffin
April 27th, 2009, 03:07 PM
My family revolves around laptops, one for each family member, so the switch was somewhat harder. Nevertheless, some three weeks ago, both my parent's PC's were attacked by some kind of agressive virus which slips through the firewall. My computer was spared because I was running Kubuntu. Although it seemed inoffensive at first... just shut down the Windows Shell and stuff, I refused to start explorer.exe each time they booted their computers. Thus, I gave them a Wubi install so that they could keep working: Installed Ms Office through Wine, and gave then the Firefox/Amsn/Wine, and later wicd (Thanks Jaunty for destroying KNetworkmanager) mix, so that they could use their PC's flawlessly. My mother, being somewhat less paranoid and more paranoid at the same time than my father, backed up her documents, wiped her hard drive, and had me install a proper Ext3 Kubuntu OS, and Vista as a dual boot. Vista is now a neglected OS on my mother's computer, so yay.

My father was a diffrent story. Fearing change, the kept using the Wubi installation (I guess that's a good thing), until the IT managers found a way to restore explorer.exe. So my father's computer kept working... until the virus got angry and BSODed it.Still, he refused to wipe his system, so he kept on with Wubi, and later repaired Vista using the installation cd... which, ironically, in the end, let the virus do even more damage to the system, destroyed the Wubi install somehow (I'm still surprised it did), probably ate up a portion of his documents, and I had to wipe his computer, fearing for his documents and maybe even a BIOS flashing.
Yet, I don't know why, but the new Vista BSODed upon installation! :lolflag: I have no idea how I'm gonna install Vista with the system so bloody unstable, but I gave him a Kubuntu 8.10 install, which was upgraded to 9.04, and told him to give it to his IT manager, so that he can figure out this Vista problem he has.

Sheesh... Vista BSODing the first time it's intalled... that's really a disastrous OS. :lolflag:

Johnsie
April 27th, 2009, 03:38 PM
There is no way I would try and force people to use Linux. People have the right to make their own decisions and should have people breathing down their neck about it.

Dragonbite
April 27th, 2009, 04:22 PM
There is no way I would try and force people to use Linux. People have the right to make their own decisions and should have people breathing down their neck about it.

And if I asked my kids if they would prefer Linux or Windows (because I'm not spending $$$ on a Mac) they would probably have to first find out what is Windows and what is Linux and find out that
The games they are playing online now can be played in either
The games installed that they play are not available for Windows such as SuperTuxKart, TuxPaint and gCompris(as far as I know).
To play games in the future, they won't get the latest-and-greatest because we're not made of money

Sometimes it is an "executive" decision to keep the System Administrator (me) from having to spend multiple hours making sure all of the anti-* are updated, running and scanned every so often.

Even with my wife who does know the difference between them, she goes on infrequently enough before that she would have to wait for a good time while the system scans and installs updates.

Especially with Jaunty booting up in less time than before which was still short enough that I booted up my work laptop and then, without rushing, had time to boot up my Ubuntu laptop, install Kino, plug in the Camcorder and begin rewinding the part I wanted before Windows finished booting up.

tegwilym
April 27th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I just updated my main computer at home with 9.04 this weekend. Took me about 35 minutes to install and update it. Then another 15 or so to move my data back over from my other drive. (I did a clean install, just since I like a fresh start). Ok, I did screw up and lose some of my documents - I was just so excited to update that I missed a folder when I backed up my stuff. Oh well...

It took a short time to install, no problems at all. They did a nice job on the multi-monitor setup this time that it just took a few minutes to set that up, and it automatically downloaded the Nvidia drivers for my GeForce 6200 card.

I then went out and mowed the lawn. If I was doing this with Windows, the lawn would still be growing, and I'd be in the house most of the day. Time saved - 5 hours, insanity avoided - PRICELESS!

Tom
- Family IT guy who knows what is good!

mamamia88
April 27th, 2009, 05:51 PM
i feel your pain man my mom is always checking for spam mail accout forever and filling out forms for free offers then they complain to me when they feel that xp is getting slow. the last computer they had lasted 8 years and all they do is play solitaire and surf the web maybe ill force them to use ubuntu next time they think of buying a new pc

tegwilym
April 27th, 2009, 06:03 PM
i feel your pain man my mom is always checking for spam mail accout forever and filling out forms for free offers then they complain to me when they feel that xp is getting slow. the last computer they had lasted 8 years and all they do is play solitaire and surf the web maybe ill force them to use ubuntu next time they think of buying a new pc

The thing is, most of the stuff the rest of the family does, can so easily be done with Ubuntu without the hassle, and pain of fixing XP all the time. I think I have to rebuild my dad's computer at least once every 9 months or so, he installs all the Weather Bugs, Toolbars and all that crap that is offered. I felt really bad for him a while back when he got fooled into buying "PC Defender 2009" and losing $50 on that. I have him set up on AVG antivirus and told him never to worry about that. But went and did it without asking me first. Ugh!

Tom

Dragonbite
April 27th, 2009, 06:16 PM
The thing is, most of the stuff the rest of the family does, can so easily be done with Ubuntu without the hassle, and pain of fixing XP all the time. I think I have to rebuild my dad's computer at least once every 9 months or so, he installs all the Weather Bugs, Toolbars and all that crap that is offered. I felt really bad for him a while back when he got fooled into buying "PC Defender 2009" and losing $50 on that. I have him set up on AVG antivirus and told him never to worry about that. But went and did it without asking me first. Ugh!

Tom

Sounds like you need to set him up without Administrator privileges so he cannot install anything!

LowSky
April 27th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Sounds like you need to set him up without Administrator privileges so he cannot install anything!

Bad idea, and here's why, Most stores will not let you return software. and if his dad has no idea he cant install something, then he will blame the software first, and then maybe his family IT guy... and he stuck with an open box of software.
:lolflag:

mamamia88
April 27th, 2009, 07:20 PM
yeah when they contemplate buying a new pc i'll tell them to give ubuntu a try first should be fine for a long time just for free cell and surfing the web.