PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft gives away developer tools

bsharp
February 19th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Just found this:

http://www6.comcast.net/news/articles/technology/2008/02/19/Microsoft.DreamSpark/

I love how it says:

Gates said students will want to try Microsoft's tools because they're more powerful than the open-source combination of Linux-based operating systems, the Apache Web server, the MySQL database and the PHP scripting language used to make complex Web sites.

and then right below it:

But Gates said giving away Microsoft software isn't intended to turn students against open source software entirely. Rather, he hopes it will just add one more tool to their belt.:lolflag:

What are everyone's thoughts?

blithen
February 19th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I haven't tried the dev tools, but I doubt they are better then Open source alternatives. And if the dev tools are then...>_>' Poopy?
But anyway, I think it's just more propaganda from the Micro. Corp.

SunnyRabbiera
February 19th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Feh, I bet its under some ridiculous clause

Tristam Green
February 19th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Of course they do it after I've graduated college... I'd probably have been more turned-on to programming had this been implemented a couple years ago.

cprofitt
February 19th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Visual Studio is a very nice IDE. There have been and still are free version for everyone to use. They are limited to one language. SQL Server Express 2005 has been available for a while as well.

If one intends to program for Windows they are great tools.

Personally I think MS knows the secret many failed to see for years (Apple now knows it)... if there are GREAT programs for the OS people will use the OS despite flaws in the OS. The best way to get great programs is to give away the DEV tools.

mr.propre
February 19th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I haven't tried the dev tools, but I doubt they are better then Open source alternatives. And if the dev tools are then...>_>' Poopy?
But anyway, I think it's just more propaganda from the Micro. Corp.

Sorry to say this, but I need to work in with the Visual studio of MS and WOW!
It is one of the best user friendlies IDE's in the world.

But it isn't still a MS product for making programmes on MS Windows, if it would run on Linux, it probably suck and the IDE's for Linux will be better.

phrostbyte
February 19th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Microsoft has been giving away software free of charge to students for years via their MSDNAA program. Plus they have free of charge Express editions of Visual Studio are nearly as powerful as the so called Professional Edition. Nothing new. Soon they'll probably give away Vista to students as well. Also Visual Studio is the only new software from Microsoft without any copy protection built in. Not saying it's OK to pirate, but it is implying that they aren't as "tough" on piracy with regards to Visual Studio.

bsharp
February 19th, 2008, 08:04 PM
If one intends to program for Windows they are great tools.

Personally I think MS knows the secret many failed to see for years (Apple now knows it)... if there are GREAT programs for the OS people will use the OS despite flaws in the OS. The best way to get great programs is to give away the DEV tools.

Exactly. They are also benefiting because when they get a college student taking courses in programming to use Microsoft-proprietary languages, then it gives them a stronger foothold in the market.

Nothing more than another attempt to crush competition, IMHO.

[h2o]
February 19th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Soon they'll probably give away Vista to students as well. Actually I think they already do. I was considering getting Vista through MSDNAA in autumn, but I really never found any reason to install it, so I skipped it. If it is of any interest I guess I could check again.

Update: Yes, Vista Business edition is in the software list of my university's MSDNAA-page.

Cew27
February 19th, 2008, 08:17 PM
wow bill gates is running quite a dictatorship

FuturePilot
February 19th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Something better than Apache?? :-k:shock:

phrostbyte
February 19th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Exactly. They are also benefiting because when they get a college student taking courses in programming to use Microsoft-proprietary languages, then it gives them a stronger foothold in the market.

Of course, anyone who thinks Microsoft does these things from the kindness of their heart is fooling themselves. It's all in their self-interest. You will probably see that as Linux gets more popular Microsoft will try much harder to lure developers and users back to the Windows-only world. But you see this is a sign of competition finally coming back to the computer industry. This is a positive thing. Innovate or die. :)

bobbocanfly
February 19th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I have to admit Visual Studio 2005 is a very nice IDE for working with the Windows platform. I used VS C#.NET Express most of the time when i was learning (before i heard of Linux).

I havent tried any of the Linux IDEs (Gedit + a command line for me) but im sure for working with Linux they are much better than VS '05.

forrestcupp
February 19th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Well, for Windows programming, Visual Studio can't be beat. I've used Visual C++ and Visual C# a lot. They are excellent IDE's and I haven't found another one open or closed source that can hold a candle to Visual Studio. My wife uses it for ASP.net.

Plus they have free of charge Express editions of Visual Studio are nearly as powerful as the so called Professional Edition.
I have used the express versions of VC# and VC++. They are very powerful. VC# Express is really lacking nothing, but VC++ Express is lacking a lot that the Pro version has, like MFC support and a resource editor. I wish I were a student.

Sp4cedOut
February 19th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Yeah, VS.NET is a good IDE. Linux has Netbeans which I think is just about as good. Eclipse is supposed to be good, but I've never used it.

karlo
February 20th, 2008, 09:52 PM

Yup you are right for example, normally when you go to college and take up programming courses, they all use windows and they use microsoft products to teach you, although you'll be given a certificate, a certified microsoft developer...:lolflag:

lespaul_rentals
February 20th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Something better than Apache?? :-k:shock:

If Gates means IIS...

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag: