PDA

View Full Version : donate towards ubuntu's first ad

Cew27
February 19th, 2008, 07:25 PM
well i had no idea where to post this so if its in the wrong place please move it
well as mentioned in another thread we have come up with the idea to donate money towards the first ubuntu add, tv may be hard as this forum is international and there is no real international tv channel to put a commercial on so i think an internet add would be better on a widely used internet site. then again we could just donate towards the growing funds of ubuntu.
so this discussion is now open post your thoughts
also when it has all been decided we will need a senior member of the forum staff to donate the money to.

argraff
February 19th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Before we start raising money, I think we better have a marketing plan in place, and a dollar figure to look to. I personally would want to see where the ad is going to be posted, how many views, duration etc before contributing.

Some ideas for an internet ad? Reuters, BBC, CNET or other news agency (computer literate people will be the best target - once they are on Ubuntu, they'll help others move!).

I'm not sure TV is the best place. Maybe YouTube instead???

Another thought, it would be really cool to get into a movie - you know, some shot of an actor opening his laptop, and there's Ubuntu! :D

Great idea though! I'll help.

quinnten83
February 19th, 2008, 07:36 PM
well make a suggestion,
which website(s)?
how much would be the cost?
what is the estimate individual cost?
how much exposure does that give?

Iwill gladly contribute, but i need to know if i can fit it in my budget and if it is going to be more effective than word of mouth.

Also,lots of things that become popular trickle down to other countries, so a tv ad in the statesis not that bad actually.

Het Irv
February 19th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Count me in, but only if market research is done. I will be willing to help with anything needed.

notwen
February 19th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Just curious, but is Canonical aware of this attempt of an 'Ubuntu ad' and if not wouldn't you require their permission prior to launching such an ad?

jken146
February 19th, 2008, 07:45 PM
It would. Canonical owns the trademarks on the Ubuntu name and associated logos.

Het Irv
February 19th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I think that is the point of this thread, lets gather all the information here and see what we can do. I don't think any money should be raised until we have a well defined goal and all permissions necessary to continue.

Paqman
February 19th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I'd be interested to know if Canonical are planning on doing any advertising, actually.

Cew27
February 19th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I think that is the point of this thread, lets gather all the information here and see what we can do. I don't think any money should be raised until we have a well defined goal and all permissions necessary to continue.
that is indeed the point of this thread and we aren't posting the add by out self i was thinking that maybe we could give the money to ubuntu and they could post an add based on out suggestions
i like the idea of cnet!

criskat777
February 19th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Internet add is good but some Cable News Channels or kids Channels are pretty much international. i think the computer savvy customers already know about Ubuntu you can find hundreds of Ubuntu and compiz Videos on youtube. it's the ones that only open Emails and bay on eBay kind of customers we need to reach. Every person that sees my Box just can not believe there eyes. I just don't fell comfy trying to say it's for them. but if they see it on Nick,Disney,CNN,BBC, Discovery,TLC, MTV,VH1 to name a few. Thats another story then it's Cool. We need to get them young that is when they will not fight the change. :)

aysiu
February 19th, 2008, 08:11 PM
In order for this not to turn into an Indy 500 fiasco, there should be an agreed-upon campaign and an agreed-upon campaign goal (how much money would be needed to fund the campaign). Once that's all decided, there should be a treasurer who is trustworthy to hold the money and use it appropriately.

The number one step is agreeing what the campaign would look like.

Cew27
February 19th, 2008, 08:14 PM
discovery! if it were to be a tv add that would be the channel
mostly educated people watch that althaugh i still like the idea of cnet or softpedia
agree with post above, i think we should give all the money to a senior member of the forums

Het Irv
February 19th, 2008, 08:24 PM
http://www.gaebler.com/Television-Advertising-Costs.htm
This seems to be a decent starting point, if we want a tv ad. I am still looking for Internet rates.

Edit: This looks good for Online. http://www.adratesonline.com/.
NOTE: I am not in any way a professional at this, I am only using Google and a little common sence.

Cew27
February 19th, 2008, 08:25 PM
i have emailed cnet asking what the prices are for adds as their adverts page confuses me

Het Irv
February 19th, 2008, 08:33 PM
We need some one to work on getting help from Canonical. I am sure they have done some research on marketing, and they might have the information we need.

Mazza558
February 19th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I'm not particularly enthusiastic about an Ubuntu ad campaign at the moment. Not because I don't want the amount of users to grow, but because I think any massive growth in users will completely overwhelm the support forums, where some threads are still ignored due to the vast quantity of new ones. I think the more gradual spread of word-of-mouth would work better to accomodate new members.

Het Irv
February 19th, 2008, 08:41 PM
That's true, but we are not the only fourms. Plus, with more people asking questions more people will answer. I don't post in some threads because I don't know how to help, but as more people learn, more will post. I think if there is a demand for more support, it will be filled somehow.

Idea: Any marketing should be for Hardy, It will be a LTR and seems to be focused toward stability and not looking good.

Cew27
February 19th, 2008, 08:46 PM
well im glad this thread got you all thinking :)

lespaul_rentals
February 19th, 2008, 08:47 PM
it's the ones that only open Emails and bay on eBay kind of customers we need to reach.

Do we really want these kinds of people? :confused:

lespaul_rentals
February 19th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Once that's all decided, there should be a treasurer who is trustworthy to hold the money and use it appropriately.

KiwiNZ? Or maybe you or LaRoza?

Het Irv
February 19th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Yes, I think we do. Once they get their computer set up correctly they shouldn't have any problems. I does mean that their will be more beginner questions, but these people are the ones most affected by spyware and viruses.

+1 to a mod being treasurer. I haven't met a Mod yet that I didn't trust.

Het Irv
February 19th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I though I saw once someone who had something to do with Marketing in their "Bean Title" ,for lack of a better term, Here on the forums.

MONODA
February 19th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I'm not particularly enthusiastic about an Ubuntu ad campaign at the moment. Not because I don't want the amount of users to grow, but because I think any massive growth in users will completely overwhelm the support forums, where some threads are still ignored due to the vast quantity of new ones. I think the more gradual spread of word-of-mouth would work better to accomodate new members.
i completely agree. more new users is not what ubuntu needs right now.

bobbocanfly
February 19th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I though I saw once someone who had something to do with Marketing in their "Bean Title" ,for lack of a better term, Here on the forums.

That would be a member of the Ubuntu Marketing Team

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-marketing

ubuntu-freak
February 19th, 2008, 09:11 PM

That's complete nonesense!

An add on Google would be good. For example, when someone searches for anything with the keywords "microsoft", "windows vista" or indeed "antivirus".

Nathan

Het Irv
February 19th, 2008, 09:25 PM

An add on Google would be good. For example, when someone searches for anything with the keywords "microsoft", "windows vista" or indeed "antivirus".

Nathan
Although that might be slighly immoral on some level I like that Idea.

ubuntu-freak
February 19th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Although that might be slighly immoral on some level I like that Idea.

Immoral how? It's the best way to do it. "Want a FREE Spyware and Virus Resistant Alternative to Windows?" That kinda thing. Everybody uses Google, and most use Windows and have issues with it to some extent.

Nathan

Cew27
February 19th, 2008, 09:45 PM
we cant deter potential users because the forums are full,

Het Irv
February 19th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I didn't say not to do it, just that it is the old "Have a problem with your Window, Install Linux" argument. Some people don't like that because it doesn't help them.

bobbocanfly
February 19th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Immoral how? It's the best way to do it. "Want a FREE Spyware and Virus Resistant Alternative to Windows?" That kinda thing. Everybody uses Google, and most use Windows and have issues with it to some extent.

Nathan

"The most effective anti-virus solution since the hard drive and hammer method; Ubuntu Linux"

;)

Het Irv
February 19th, 2008, 09:54 PM
That actually doesn't work as well as you would think (hard drive and Hammer that is).
The hard drive just starts skidding across the floor with small dents in it.

aysiu
February 19th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I didn't say not to do it, just that it is the old "Have a problem with your Window, Install Linux" argument. Some people don't like that because it doesn't help them.
This is really the mixed message that the Linux community puts out.

There are a lot of evangelizing sites, blogs, and articles that basically say, "Tired of your Windows problems? Use Linux."

Then, when potential migrants try Linux and complain that it doesn't work the way Windows did, the response is generally, "What did you expect? Linux is not Windows. Nor should it be."

Well, you can't tell people who are tired of Windows to use Linux instead of Linux isn't going to be a drop-in replacement. So the solution is to stop advertising Linux that way. I'm not in favor of advertising Ubuntu. I'd much rather advertise OpenOffice for Windows than Ubuntu in place of Windows.

Het Irv
February 19th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I think any marketing campaign should be focused on getting the word out that Windows alternatives exists and how to find them. The new Mac commercials do this well, they don't say that they are the same, only that they are different.

ubuntu-freak
February 19th, 2008, 10:01 PM

Just to clarify, that's not really my arguement. It's simply an idea to expose as many people to GNU/Linux as possible.

Nathan

Het Irv
February 19th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I understand, but you have to remember Its not what you say, but how other people hear what you say that matters

aysiu
February 19th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Unless you are advertising a ready-made product, the advertising campaign will fail.

Apple can advertise Macs, because someone can see a Mac ad, go to the Apple Store, and buy a Mac. The Mac is complete--it has the operating system preinstalled, with all the proprietary codecs people expect. If they need support, they probably already know someone else who is a Mac user and can explain things, or they can go to the "Genius Bar."

If we as a community advertise Ubuntu, someone cannot see Ubuntu and then just go get it. They have to research where to get it preinstalled (unless you're already in the know, Dell Ubuntu, ZaReason, and System76 are not immediately obvious); or download, install, and configure Ubuntu themselves, which also involves troubleshooting any hardware compatibility problems that may ensue. They will also wonder why DVD playback for commercial DVDs doesn't work, nor does MP3 playback, nor (if they're using Gutsy) does Flash (even when installed). If they have problems, they likely do not know any other Ubuntu users, and the closest they have to a "Genius Bar" is the local LUG (which they don't know about) or these forums.

Unless you're advertising Ubuntu Dells, I wouldn't advertise Ubuntu to the general public. It's one thing to tell people you know, "Hey, I can install and configure this Windows alternative and I'll teach you how to use it," but to tell random strangers, "Hey, there's this Windows alternative. Good luck" is no good.

The closest I see to mass market penetration for desktop Linux is ultra-mobile PCs like the Eee PC or the Cloudbook. Those are ready to go out of the box.

fatality_uk
February 19th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Unless you are advertising a ready-made product, the advertising campaign will fail.

Apple can advertise Macs, because someone can see a Mac ad, go to the Apple Store, and buy a Mac. The Mac is complete--it has the operating system preinstalled, with all the proprietary codecs people expect. If they need support, they probably already know someone else who is a Mac user and can explain things, or they can go to the "Genius Bar."

If we as a community advertise Ubuntu, someone cannot see Ubuntu and then just go get it. They have to research where to get it preinstalled (unless you're already in the know, Dell Ubuntu, ZaReason, and System76 are not immediately obvious); or download, install, and configure Ubuntu themselves, which also involves troubleshooting any hardware compatibility problems that may ensue. They will also wonder why DVD playback for commercial DVDs doesn't work, nor does MP3 playback, nor (if they're using Gutsy) does Flash (even when installed). If they have problems, they likely do not know any other Ubuntu users, and the closest they have to a "Genius Bar" is the local LUG (which they don't know about) or these forums.

Unless you're advertising Ubuntu Dells, I wouldn't advertise Ubuntu to the general public. It's one thing to tell people you know, "Hey, I can install and configure this Windows alternative and I'll teach you how to use it," but to tell random strangers, "Hey, there's this Windows alternative. Good luck" is no good.

The closest I see to mass market penetration for desktop Linux is ultra-mobile PCs like the Eee PC or the Cloudbook. Those are ready to go out of the box.

There's nothing to stop a supporting web site with the marketing strategy. That site could give clear, step by step, even screencast style, details of how to follow up and install with the items most users want, such as flash etc.

After all, most people look at post-install software with Windows. I mean, how long can you use paint and calc for without needing something else. Oh yeah, forgot Solitaires included for free in your £399 operating system :)

aysiu
February 19th, 2008, 10:20 PM
There's nothing to stop a supporting web site with the marketing strategy. That site could give clear, step by step, even screencast style, details of how to follow up and install with the items most users want, such as flash etc.

After all, most people look at post-install software with Windows. I mean, how long can you use paint and calc for without needing something else. Oh yeah, forgot Solitaires included for free in your £399 operating system :)
And most Windows users already know how to install that extra software themselves, pay someone to install it for them (usually the vendor), or know a tech-savvy Windows user who can install it for them.

Some random person seeing a Ubuntu commercial does not necessarily want to jump through all the hoops of doing research off a website on setting up an operating system herself, and she probably doesn't know a tech-savvy Ubuntu user who can set things up for her.

ubuntu-freak
February 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I don't understand the anti-advertise Ubuntu viewpoint. Many dual boot, so no need to wipe Windows off the hard drive and replace it right away with Ubuntu.

There's nothing wrong with advertising Ubuntu, it's not some exclusive club with an OS thrown in when you join.

Nathan

Cew27
February 19th, 2008, 10:32 PM
if the advertising fails we can always judt donate to the ubuntu cause

aysiu
February 19th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I don't understand the anti-advertise Ubuntu viewpoint. Many dual boot, so no need to wipe Windows off the hard drive and replace it right away with Ubuntu.

There's nothing wrong with advertising Ubuntu, it's not some exclusive club with an OS thrown in when you join.

Nathan
No one said Ubuntu was an exclusive club. I'm not espousing we tell people "Don't use Ubuntu." I'm just proposing we not go out of our way to raise money for a campaign that says "Use Ubuntu."

Many here dual-boot, but a dual-boot can be a complicated setup for someone who is not well-versed in installing operating systems (i.e., the vast majority of current Windows users).

I just don't believe in trying to lure people into something that will be a considerable time investment without warning them of the difficulties they might encounter.

Cew27
February 19th, 2008, 10:36 PM
i think we should aim the ubuntu adds at the general public, we should aim them at the computing community, i am a member of computer-juice forums and i am currently converting people there to ubuntu and helping them, computer literate people are out main target as far as im concerned

ubuntu-freak
February 19th, 2008, 10:46 PM
No one said Ubuntu was an exclusive club. I'm not espousing we tell people "Don't use Ubuntu." I'm just proposing we not go out of our way to raise money for a campaign that says "Use Ubuntu."

Many here dual-boot, but a dual-boot can be a complicated setup for someone who is not well-versed in installing operating systems (i.e., the vast majority of current Windows users).

I just don't believe in trying to lure people into something that will be a considerable time investment without warning them of the difficulties they might encounter.

Hmmm....I don't know. Even if they just ran the live CD I'd say it's worth it. I only discovered Ubuntu due to my cousin using it when I went to see him.

Nathan

Vitamin-Carrot
February 20th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Right i see heaps of ideas for the marketing propect but i dont see any suggestions on how we can actually contribute.

Either way your setting up a bank account so I guess thats step one
step two would be to organise how people can contribute.
Will there be an official ubuntu website that people can visit?
Will the funds be donated via a system like pay pal?
Will it be possible for those who do not wish to donate via pay pal to donate by other means i.e bank transfers?

This idea will have to put infront of the people who make ubuntu too even thought we all contribute i think those guys should have a say

billgoldberg
February 20th, 2008, 12:18 AM
I won't give money for advertising.

If they need a bit money to hire more people or maintain the servers, ...

Then I would give 20 euro or something.

But I doubt this will be needed anytime soon.

jrusso2
February 20th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I don't see the point in giving money to advertise something thats not ready.

What I would be willing to do would be to donate towards buying a license for DVD playback and legal codecs.

billgoldberg
February 20th, 2008, 12:30 AM

What I would be willing to do would be to donate towards buying a license for DVD playback and legal codecs.

Idem dito.

Cew27
February 20th, 2008, 12:32 AM
like i said before this isnt just about donating for an add we can also use it to give to ubuntu to help with ongoing costs ect

ubuntu-freak
February 20th, 2008, 01:09 AM

Not ready? Not sure what you mean by that. It's worth getting people to try it at least. Windows ME wasn't ready for anything and some people actually PAID for it. I mean geez...

For most users outside the U.S. there is no legal issue regarding DVD playback. I don't think U.S. users should accept it's illegal. If you buy a DVD , you should have the right to watch it without paying even more. Codecs for other types of media are legal if you download and install them yourself.

The industry even tried to kill VHS you know, it's all nonesense.

Nathan

some_random_noob
February 20th, 2008, 01:57 AM
I'd rather put money into development. Ubuntu is already advertised via word of mouth and a lot of people just hear about it and join anyway (It's currently steady enough to be called acceptable growth). I wouldn't consider advertising Ubuntu for at least another 8+ months.

The best weapon we have is community (Not marketing and money). Lets just stick with helping each other and making Ubuntu better before we throw money into advertising something which most people won't be thrilled about.

ubuntu-freak
February 20th, 2008, 02:37 AM
I'd rather put money into development. Ubuntu is already advertised via word of mouth and a lot of people just hear about it and join anyway (It's currently steady enough to be called acceptable growth). I wouldn't consider advertising Ubuntu for at least another 8+ months.

The best weapon we have is community (Not marketing and money). Lets just stick with helping each other and making Ubuntu better before we throw money into advertising something which most people won't be thrilled about.

Canonical put money into developement. There are only around 50 core Ubuntu devs I think, and over a 1000 Debian devs, including the Ubuntu devs who are still active Debian devs. You might consider donating to Debian developement.

Advertising is something we could all help with though, not just by word of mouth.

Nathan

criskat777
February 20th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Do we really want these kinds of people? :confused:

I don't see why not. An out of the box Ubuntu install is perfect for that. And as there needs grow so will there curiosity to learn how to mod there Distro and learn new things.

criskat777
February 20th, 2008, 03:29 AM

IMO that is like saying we don't need more drivers in the roads because there will be more accidents. It's like any other product lots of people will try it some will like it others won't others may retry it at a later time. But at the end the one's that stay are the ones that count.

Cew27
February 20th, 2008, 08:28 AM
ok so we need to decide , marketing or development?

ubuntu-freak
February 20th, 2008, 04:13 PM
ok so we need to decide , marketing or development?

Get in touch with Canonical and see how they feel about a more aggressive marketing strategy.

Nathan

Cew27
February 20th, 2008, 05:24 PM
i like that im a part of this

MONODA
February 20th, 2008, 05:40 PM

Nathan
eh whatever everone has their opinion.

I dont think it should be an ad on google cuz they always seem oddly virusy...

bobbybobington
February 20th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Get in touch with Canonical and see how they feel about a more aggressive marketing strategy.

Nathan

I think ubuntu need a community marketing team. Perhaps with a leader that works for canonical? Oh, and BTW marketing is a lot more than just advertising, it would need some kind of community framework.

Het Irv
February 20th, 2008, 11:58 PM
If you look back a bit (2 or 3rd page) you will see a link to the Ubuntu Marketing Team Wiki.

ssam
February 21st, 2008, 12:20 AM
there have been a few ubuntu advertising campaigns already

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/480
http://www.porcheron.info/ubuntu-server-on-slashdot/

Mazza558
February 21st, 2008, 12:47 AM
IMO that is like saying we don't need more drivers in the roads because there will be more accidents. It's like any other product lots of people will try it some will like it others won't others may retry it at a later time. But at the end the one's that stay are the ones that count.

I think it's more like "We don't need more drivers on the roads because no one will be able to get anywhere due to traffic jams - instead we should focus on slowly widening the roads themselves and then let more drivers try out the roads."

ubuntu-freak
February 21st, 2008, 03:25 AM
I think it's more like "We don't need more drivers on the roads because no one will be able to get anywhere due to traffic jams - instead we should focus on slowly widening the roads themselves and then let more drivers try out the roads."

What does that mean exactly?

More people using Ubuntu means more hardware tested, which means more bugs reported, which eventually equates to more hardware compatibility.

The more the merrier.

Nathan

argraff
February 21st, 2008, 03:20 PM
Maybe we should throw money towards lobbying companies like Adobe and game makers into making native Linux apps - I think that's throwing a lot of people off. Just my two cents. :)

Het Irv
February 21st, 2008, 06:39 PM

More people using Ubuntu means more hardware tested, which means more bugs reported, which eventually equates to more hardware compatibility.

The more the merrier.

Nathan

+1
All open source stuff is in Open Mass Beta. The more people that are having problems the more problems get solved.

DrMega
February 21st, 2008, 06:47 PM

The more the merrier.

Nathan

Agreed.

Back to the original point though, isn't Youtube the place to do it? Loads of people look at youtube and as far as I know it is free to post stuff up, so the only cost would be the production cost.

richard.stallman
February 21st, 2008, 07:03 PM
not worth....instead of "wasting" money on ads, introduce ubuntu to a few of ur friends, provide them support and help. Then all of u can start a community to more no. of users. ads are a waste of money. lets not go the microsoft way!!! and ruin Ubuntu. please

ubuntu-freak
February 24th, 2008, 05:48 AM
not worth....instead of "wasting" money on ads, introduce ubuntu to a few of ur friends, provide them support and help. Then all of u can start a community to more no. of users. ads are a waste of money. lets not go the microsoft way!!! and ruin Ubuntu. please

Yeah, I stopped using XP cos Microsoft kept advertising Vista.

Nathan

stoeptegel
February 24th, 2008, 05:56 AM
tweakers.net would be a good site for this, it's Dutch only though.

zmjjmz
February 24th, 2008, 07:58 AM
A series of Youtube videos would be great.
Does anyone here heavily partake in social networking sites such as Facebook and Myspace?
It would be a great way to spread videos.
And they shouldn't be just focused on Compiz-Fusion, maybe like a 'How to use Linux vs. How to use Vista'
(With a Linux bias of course, and say "In Linux you have to do X to make Y happen, but in Windows Vista you can just... wait... no, you can't.")

Cew27
February 24th, 2008, 11:39 AM
does any budding dirctors/actors want to make a funny linux vs pc vs mac spoof :P

harold4
February 24th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Like this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cldeHjFig_c)

Perpetual
February 24th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Personally, I do not see Canonical supporting a user funded ad campaign nor would I personally donate to it.

However, I would support an Ubuntu user based donation to Debian (http://www.debian.org/donations).

ubuntu-freak
February 24th, 2008, 11:36 PM
However, I would support an Ubuntu user based donation to Debian (http://www.debian.org/donations).

+1

Absolutely.

Nathan

bobbybobington
February 25th, 2008, 12:53 AM
I don't think paying for an ad is necessary, it's the 21st century. Anyone with a funny/good concept and high production value can upload it to youtube etc. The hardest part is to think of a good original idea and do some good editing. No mac & pc ripoffs please, that one has been overused way to much.

Wasn't there a thread somewhere about ad ideas?

CaptainCabinet
February 25th, 2008, 12:57 AM
I think we'd all love to see a advert for Ubuntu popping up in between our favourite TV program.
I'd gladly help out any way I can. :)
Edit: I don't think putting an advert solely on youtube would be a good idea as I doubt many people would see it (unless a lot of word of mouth went into action) and alot of effort could be wasted.

divindavid
February 25th, 2008, 03:12 AM
it would be very easy to get money if any one in the forums can get a little cash say theres a good 500,000 plus members/linux enthuseiusts that would give about 5 bucks for a good commersail

aysiu
February 25th, 2008, 03:20 AM
it would be very easy to get money if any one in the forums can get a little cash say theres a good 500,000 plus members/linux enthuseiusts that would give about 5 bucks for a good commersail
I don't believe that's true.

Many people, as the posts in this thread indicate, do not believe their $5 would be best spent on this commercial, for a variety of reasons: Some people believe Ubuntu isn't ready to be advertised to the general populace. No good idea has been put forth for the commercial. No outlet has been agreed upon for the commercial. Some people think the money would be better put into development or other Ubuntu-related endeavors.

Vitamin-Carrot
February 25th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Divided it would seem

zmjjmz
February 25th, 2008, 04:45 AM
I don't think putting an advert solely on youtube would be a good idea as I doubt many people would see it (unless a lot of word of mouth went into action) and alot of effort could be wasted.

Anyone here use Facebook or Myspace intensively?

Fedz
April 20th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I've started to donate to Canonical © via paypal on a regular basis (weekly) :D

I do a few hrs. extra overtime at work to pay for it. Well worth the monies. Ubuntu rules ;)

I'll leave it upto them to decide where best to spend it :)

toupeiro
April 20th, 2008, 10:36 PM
There are lots of good points in this thread I wanted to hit on, but I think I will just pick one.

Why compare Ubuntu to windows? I think a commercial advertising ubuntu -- and everything it is and can do, speaks for itself. You don't have to say its a replacement for windows. Demonstrate it, have some nice narrative of people from multiple cultires and backgrounds,then end it with its logo and its name. leave the rest up to the people watching it.

Maybe something similar to the linux boy commercial ideas with IBM (http://youtube.com/watch?v=EwL0G9wK8j4), but obviously different :) More of a 'Humanity to others', or 'I am what I am because of who we all are'. -- a.k.a. ubuntu themed. :)

I'd be interested in participating in this, but I think canonical should be on board as well to meet the community part-way with its development both financially and physically. That in itself is advertisement for them.

fatality_uk
April 20th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Didn't go back and read the whole thread but here's my $0.02c

A Linux/Ubuntu ad should focus on just that, Ubuntu.

Honda don't make ad's saying:

Hey look, we are a replacement for your old Ford

They focus on the benefits and feel of owning a Honda.

Most Honda's aren't aspirational vehicles. When your a 14 year old petrol head, you don't drool over a Civic the same way you drool over a Ferrari.

starcannon
April 25th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I just now Finally read through a majority of the earlier posts and realized I had restated aysiu's point. aysiu stated it much better than I, and I also like the later analogy regarding cars and car engines. Anyway I completely agree with aysiu, Ubuntu computers need to be pushed far more than the OS alone. Theres already several OEM's to choose from, just need to get people knowing there is a 3rd choice of "computers" out there.

I think so far this is an excellent idea.

Some of my observations, what-ever they are worth are:
1) Ubuntu is available pre-installed on a popular brand *Dell*
2) No one outside the community really knows about it.
3) Typical end-users do not install operating systems, doesn't matter how easy the install wizard is.
4) Because of points 2,3, advertising would have its best result by pushing point 1.

Lets face it, advertising to others who already know we exist is kind of pointless, advertising the benefits of pre-installed machines seems to make more sense, at least where I'm sitting.

Thats my 2 cents.

Jareth
April 25th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Just going slightly off topic, couldn't we just make a vid (I'll leave content up to you guys, mine would probably be just bikini clad women and explosions anyway :lolflag:) and then put it on youtube. Then try our absolute best to get it the most watched vid of all time. Im' sure with this community that wouldn't be impossible. Once its the most watched its sure to get the punters attention and probably some tv and radio play with the news and such.

Apologies, if this has been suggested earlier. I am someone who starts reading a thread and says "skip to the end" and starts reading backwards.:(

TBOL3
April 25th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I actually don't think an ad would be a good thing. For example, how many of you here have NoScript and Adblock plus, so you don't see ads?

How many of you here get DVDs from your local library so you don't have to see ads on television? Or watch the show you like online, so there's only one add, not 50?

If the answer to either of these questions is yes, then isn't it hypocritical to make an ad for ubuntu.

Not to mention, if we do advertise ubuntu, then we get more users, which is good. But the type we'd get are the stupid people that click on any flashy thing. Thus, we should stay away from ads.

ShadowGray
April 25th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Do we really need a TV ad.. Ubuntu has plenty of word-of-mouth advertising and that's only picking up.

zmjjmz
April 28th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Just going slightly off topic, couldn't we just make a vid (I'll leave content up to you guys, mine would probably be just bikini clad women and explosions anyway :lolflag:) and then put it on youtube. Then try our absolute best to get it the most watched vid of all time. Im' sure with this community that wouldn't be impossible. Once its the most watched its sure to get the punters attention and probably some tv and radio play with the news and such.

Apologies, if this has been suggested earlier. I am someone who starts reading a thread and says "skip to the end" and starts reading backwards.:(

In response to the two posts above this one...
I think we could take advantage of communities such as facebook, MySpace, twitter, etc. to popularize this video.

Linuxratty
April 28th, 2008, 01:28 AM
discovery! if it were to be a tv add that would be the channel
mostly educated people watch

In the USA,that would be PBS.

zmjjmz
April 28th, 2008, 01:52 AM
In the USA,that would be PBS.

WIRED is on PBS right?

TBOL3
April 28th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Oh, and another thing, if we CAN raise money for an ad, then wouldn't it be better to give the money to developing the OS. I'd much rather have an extremely good OS, then a bad on that has it's face everywhere (sound familiar?).

zmjjmz
April 28th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Ubuntu's good enough as it is to be advertised.
I don't think much money should be donated at all whatsoever, just a short, _good and creative_ Youtube flick that people _will want to watch_.

scragar
April 28th, 2008, 02:16 AM
one of the things this thread is still missing is a whole idea of an advert, I mean I would be more than happy to lend any help I can to creating an advert, provided we can get something down to start with.

SoulinEther
April 28th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Uhh, the state of GNU/Linux, well, Ubuntu in particular, is full of its own flaws that, if brought into the limelight, would cast huge shadows over any benefit of using it.

You can't really advertise for an operating system. The people who know what an "operating system" is probably know that Windows, GNU/Linux, and Mac OS X are all forms of an operating system. This is already a small enough group of people to make it unworthwhile, and many of these people probably are familiar with G/L anyway.

You've seen Windows Vista ads and Mac ads? I have too. When Microsoft advertises Windows, it's like the USSR/Stalin himself glorifying Stalin and the state of the USSR: a continuation of what appears to be inevitable and invariable. And as someone(s) already mentioned, advertising for Mac is advertising for a completely finished product - not an operating system. Advertising for the Mac OS X operating system is actually worthwhile since it's more or less guaranteed to work since the amount of supported hardware is so limited, so I'll change my statement: You can't advertise for an operating system such that it will work with every single computer out there... it's too blanket-y, but i'll run with it.

And I agree with aysiu, advertising for a completely pre-installed Ubuntu computer (customizable down to the software, even) would be a smarter move. Or it would be interesting to sell hard drives with Ubuntu pre-installed, or something.. it sounds like a catastrohpe to make compatible though, and an even greater catastrophe to explain to average people how to boot off of it.

zmjjmz
April 28th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Ads for system76 and ZaReason then?

aysiu
April 28th, 2008, 03:19 AM
And I agree with aysiu, advertising for a completely pre-installed Ubuntu computer (customizable down to the software, even) would be a smarter move. Advertising for an operating system is like advertising for a car engine. The everyday car driver doesn't care about what kind of engine they have, as long as it runs, and they are not going to go out and buy an engine and replace their old one themselves. You don't advertise a car engine; you advertise a car. Likewise, you don't advertise an operating system unless it's preinstalled. Everyday computer users buy computers, not operating systems they have to install themselves.

zmjjmz
April 28th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Even the Vista commercials feature computers it comes pre-installed on, so...

scragar
April 28th, 2008, 03:23 AM
I'm sure people would pay attention if you mentioned that you can save £50 just by not installing windows and going for a free OS(the £50 is how much you'll get back if you threaten too sue over it quoting the windows licence which does state that you can claim back your money).

zmjjmz
April 28th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Unfortunately, Dell seems to be under the impression that the Ubuntu machines cost should be >= Windows' machine's cost.
Advertise the Limbo/kpc from ZaReason then?
Those are quite cheap.

scragar
April 28th, 2008, 03:25 AM
I think the eeePC is a big selling point, sure it's not ubuntu, but they are cheap, small and really cool.

zmjjmz
April 28th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Maybe ZaReason should sell EeePC's with eee_*buntu ?

TBOL3
April 28th, 2008, 03:56 AM
The linux action show gave a review about a tablet PC which is cool.

SoulinEther
April 28th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Advertising for an operating system is like advertising for a car engine. The everyday car driver doesn't care about what kind of engine they have, as long as it runs, and they are not going to go out and buy an engine and replace their old one themselves. You don't advertise a car engine; you advertise a car. Likewise, you don't advertise an operating system unless it's preinstalled. Everyday computer users buy computers, not operating systems they have to install themselves.
Very effective analogy. Interestingly enough, I remember once likening computers to cars, because I get computers to a much greater detail than I get cars, but the other way around is true for many people... plus most people that use cars don't make their own, etc.

Unfortunately, Dell seems to be under the impression that the Ubuntu machines cost should be >= Windows' machine's cost.
Advertise the Limbo/kpc from ZaReason then?
Those are quite cheap.

Now, I don't know a whole lot about the motives behind Dell's actions, nor have I been keeping up with any news regarding them and their sales of Ubuntu-powered pcs..... but Dell doesn't even advertise for those computers.

I'm sure these arguments have all been raised. Maybe Dell doesn't need to advertise for Ubuntu-powered PCs because they'll pretty much sell themselves considering that the target market (all those people that know about Ubuntu) already know about Dell's offer. True, yet in every Friday Fry's ad, you see 2-4 ad squares devoted to iPods. In the US culture, and around the world, an iPod should be too ubiquitous to advertise for, yet they still do it, and they aren't the only computer/electronics store that does it. (Ok, I won't argue that all developing nations will know what an iPod is ... you get my point.)

Maybe they don't want to sell Ubuntu-powered PCs because they don't get to make any money off of technical support - I assume this since I recall their website saying support is offered entirely through Canonical. There's still hardware support, though, no? Maybe they should work out a deal with Canonical to take a cut of the support revenue so as to make selling Ubuntu powered PCs viable, which would be a win-win situation.

Or... maybe they are in some form of contract with Microsoft which prohibits them from (overly) advertising for competition. If I were Microsoft, that's what I would do.

At any rate, as a college-bound, Ubuntu-using student who received their latest ad only to see not a single word mentioned about Ubuntu or open source PCs, I know I am not buying from Dell. ZaReason and System76 both have very competitive offers, and I bet I can order a more customized laptop from THEM than from Dell.

As has been already stated a million times in this thread, we should not look to advertise for Ubuntu - we should look to advertise for the companies that help make Ubuntu available to the masses: System76, ZaReason, etc. who sell computers powered by Ubuntu.

I would contribute to a fund to get ZaReason / System76 some advertising. Even though they are for-profit companies that might have the money for this type of operation, they may not be willing to take the risk. Supporting them supports Ubuntu a million times more than supporting Canonical: by bringing in new Ubuntu users who aren't frustrated by, nor bitter about, Ubuntu and its blunders on their computer.

(And isn't there some reserve of money set aside by Shuttleworth in case Ubuntu needs to stay afloat anyway?)

Lostincyberspace
April 28th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Actualy all of his money is set as a reserve right now they make enough that they don't need it yet.